• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

I don't understand how the Euros will work with 24 teams; 4 groups of 6, then 4 groups of 4? 8 groups of 3?

The format of the final tournament will consist of six groups of four teams, followed by a round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final. The top two from each group would qualify in addition to the four best third-ranked sides, the same system as was applied in the World Cups from 1986 to 1994. This format would generate a total of 51 games, compared with 31 now, to be played over a period of 29-31 days. UEFA's general secretary Gianni Infantino said that the new format was "not ideal" and that UEFA was not sure of the detail of the format.

Yes that would be logical

---------Huntelaar-----------
--Robben--------Van Persie-
----Sneijder--Van de Vaart-
--------Van Bommel---------
De Jong----------------v.d. Wiel
-----Mathijsen----Heitinga-----
---------Stekelenburg----------

god, our defence sucks. I put De Jong there because I think he'll do pretty good as a leftback.
But you could put Schaars there.

That is a questionable setup. I'd to it this way if I were Bert:

----------van Persie----------
Affelay-----------------Robben
-------------Sneijder------------
--van der vaart--de Jong------
Mathijssen------------v.d. Wiel
-------Heitinga---van Bommel--
----------Stekelenburg--------

Good excuse to hug hot girls when we score.

Hug or grope?:p

NHale

Portugal has absolutely no chance, this is one of our weakest national sides in the last few major tournaments. Most portuguese don´t have many expectations from their national side, it´s even liberating in a way, to go into a tournament not thinking that your the hot fuzz :)

Well while there a lot of pessimism, there is still a lot of people that truly believe we are going to win.

Also dumb players don't help when they start talking about winning the tournament. At least if we lose 7-0 against Germany everyone will take their stupid flags from their windows, so not everything is bad.

Ah right, cheers. I think there's enough good teams in Europe to fill it; Turkey, Bosnia and Serbia off the top of my head would have been good replacements for any at this year's tournament.

Sure there are 24 quality teams to fill the spots but this format takes away much of the excitement of the qualifiers and the group stage becomes much easier too because it will have weaker teams and 4 of the 6 teams finishing 3rd will go through to the knockout stage.

Kem0sabe

Well while there a lot of pessimism, there is still a lot of people that truly believe we are going to win.

Also dumb players don't help when they start talking about winning the tournament. At least if we lose 7-0 against Germany everyone will take their stupid flags from their windows, so not everything is bad.

The stupid thing is, most of the people hanging those flags don´t even know our national anthem...

Jamie OD

France 4 - Estonia 0

The combination Benzema and Ribery is amazing ! I'm eager to watch the game against England.

Their game back in 2004 was one of the most unbelievable last minute choke jobs I've seen in international football. I even remember watching Baddiel & Skinner's Fantasy Football show that aired afterwards and everyone from the hosts to the audience were completely crushed and in no humour to do the show.

Just ordered my away Afellay shirt!

3A4584D1DD4B435D81C744857F15C.jpg

Divius

Apparently 10 players of the Ukrainian squad are currently ill with food poisoning. Great timing.
Foul play? :eek:

Kiraly

nigel.gif

Nigel de Jong in a match against children on a Dutch donated football field in Kraków

Never change :lol :lol :lol :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So I've found out that free TV down in Australia is only broadcasting 4 matches live: 2 quarter final matches, 1 semi final match, and the final. Fuck. That.

Got to stream that mofo up! I've already switched my body to a rigorous and extreme sleeping habit of 3 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the evening. Did it for the previous two World Cups and previous Euro so we'll see how my old age has held up this time. Might need to increase the shifts to 4 hours if I start speaking in tongues.

TheExodu5

Banned
As a Rooney, I have to cheer for England. I've only ever watched the 2006 and 2010 World Cups. From what I've seen, I'm guessing there isn't much hope. :|

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god damnit i'm on a flight to hawaii on the 30th. final is on the 1st :(

It will be on at 8.45am hawaii time.

Any americans here? do I have a shit show of catching this somewhere at 8.45am in honolulu?!

Chris R

No way there isn't some sports bar open at that time showing the match. Just look for the local Irish place for a good bet.

Any predictions on the first two games? I bet Poland - Greece will be a borefest...prolly 1-0 or 0-0 :/ Maybe russia vs the czech republic will be good. I'm betting on russia.

PS: Ron Vlaar will become the dutch player of the tourney :p RONNIE!!!!

Kabouter

Any predictions on the first two games? I bet Poland - Greece will be a borefest...prolly 1-0 or 0-0 :/ Maybe russia vs the czech republic will be good. I'm betting on russia.

Russia's in pretty great shape, I expect them to win with ease. Poland - Greece, if I had to put my money on one, I'd say Poland. Not expecting the greatest of matches there either.

justjohn

I'm really getting tired of this constant attention on racism. The English media always wants to shit on any non Anglo nation that has the temerity to host any major sports event.

The Greek and Chinese olympics were supposed to be disasters according to them. And let's not even get started on south Africa.
Now Ukraine and Poland are giant Nazi headquarters with snipers to shoot any non White who dares to enter the country. Ugh

Salvadora

I'm really getting tired of this constant attention on racism. The English media always wants to shit on any non Anglo nation that has the temerity to host any major sports event.

The Greek and Chinese olympics were supposed to be disasters according to them. And let's not even get started on south Africa.
Now Ukraine and Poland are giant Nazi headquarters with snipers to shoot any non White who dares to enter the country. Ugh

Its not an overreaction to have concerns about Ukraine/Poland as hosts, Known racism problems exist.

Timbuktu

Umm... It's not like the were all positive about their own events. And it's not like the Panorama doc is fabricated, it isn't surprising people are concerned.

Booya

Neo Member
And it's not limited to the British press.

exactly..
german BILD and polish FAKT, owned by the same company have their little play each time germany faces poland in soccer. it generates revenue, so they keep throwing dirt at each other and prolly planing whole headline-campaigns laughingly over the phone with each other.

Russia's in pretty great shape, I expect them to win with ease. Poland - Greece, if I had to put my money on one, I'd say Poland. Not expecting the greatest of matches there either.

Eh, Russia has trouble when teams sit back and play defensively which is something I expect the Czechs to do. If Russia doesn't score early then I doubt it will be easy.

Divius

I'm thinking Greece and Russia will win tomorrow. I am hoping the first goal will be scored by a Polish player, because they are hosting etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom