• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

So, I checked out the demo of this, for no other reason than to verify my uninformed opinion that this was the dumbest thing to ever happen. I loaded it up, called everything I saw stupid, and begrudgingly picked a truck and started the game.

Then I started playing.

I have a weird amount of trouble admitting this, but I actually really enjoyed what I played. It's incredibly relaxing and laid back. Looking both ways before I pull out into a street, actually stopping at stop lights, checking my blind spots. It sounds so mundane and, well, stupid, but I really got into it on a level that I never would have suspected. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I think I'll purchase it.

What is happening? Is this real life?!

Hahah, welcome aboard. You have chosen wisely.

Sye d'Burns

So, I checked out the demo of this, for no other reason than to verify my uninformed opinion that this was the dumbest thing to ever happen. I loaded it up, called everything I saw stupid, and begrudgingly picked a truck and started the game.

Then I started playing.

I have a weird amount of trouble admitting this, but I actually really enjoyed what I played. It's incredibly relaxing and laid back. Looking both ways before I pull out into a street, actually stopping at stop lights, checking my blind spots. It sounds so mundane and, well, stupid, but I really got into it on a level that I never would have suspected. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I think I'll purchase it.

What is happening? Is this real life?!

I never would have given this game a second glance if it hadn't been for Mengy's thread title. Now, I'm over 130 hours in and debating whether I've become too niche oriented to enjoy the PS4. Covering the past couple of years, in terms of hours played, this ranks second only to Crusader Kings 2. Maybe I should look into Farming Simulator instead.

Brick

I never would have given this game a second glance if it hadn't been for Mengy's thread title. Now, I'm over 130 hours in and debating whether I've become too niche oriented to enjoy the PS4. Covering the past couple of years, in terms of hours played, this ranks second only to Crusader Kings 2. Maybe I should look into Farming Simulator instead.

This is a dark hole we've fallen into, my friend.

The reason I tried ETS2 is because of how much I enjoyed the Farming Simulator series. I realized you can't judge a game just because it seems like a very stupid idea.

So yeah, try the Farming Sim games. I think you'll be surprised how fun they are.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Man, you are like the fourth person to say that. I guess I did a good job on that title, LOL.

And Brick, welcome. After the initial shock about the revelation that yes, you do enjoy a sim game about driving a big rig around Europe, the game honestly only gets better as you delve deeper into it. I have about half the hours that Sye does (although I've owned the game a few months longer) and I'm nowhere near done with it yet. ETS2 is one of my favorite sit down and have relaxing fun time games now, only second to Minecraft.

Oh my god, they utterly ruined the FFB settings in this game. I haven't played the updated version. It is awful. If you have a G27, do not play this game without modding the FFB settings. Holy shit, I thought my wheel was broke but it appears this was their intention. What an stupid update. The FFB was perfectly fine before.

Edit: What the hell is going on? I just spent over an hour trying to get my G27 to not feel like a two cent piece of shit in ETS2. Before the update it felt perfect straight out of the box with the default settings in windows and ETS2. Now I can't get it to feel like anything other than a vague bag of shit or an artificially stiff bowl of jello. What the hell happened? I can't imagine what people who dropped $250 for a wheel just for this game are feeling. If you turn this game on with your brand new G27 and start driving, it may be some of the worst FFB settings I have ever experienced. Do not assume this is what FFB in racing sims feels like! Downgrade ETS2 to 1.3.1 and see what a wheel with FFB should feel like. I am hoping some magical combination of settings will resolve this but I just wanted to cruise some roads tonight before bed since it has been too long since I last fired up ETS2. Now I have to research what others have done to resolve this baffling patch.

Sye d'Burns

Oh my god, they utterly ruined the FFB settings in this game. I haven't played the updated version. It is awful. If you have a G27, do not play this game without modding the FFB settings. Holy shit, I thought my wheel was broke but it appears this was their intention. What an stupid update. The FFB was perfectly fine before.

Edit: What the hell is going on? I just spent over an hour trying to get my G27 to not feel like a two cent piece of shit in ETS2. Before the update it felt perfect straight out of the box with the default settings in windows and ETS2. Now I can't get it to feel like anything other than a vague bag of shit or an artificially stiff bowl of jello. What the hell happened? I can't imagine what people who dropped $250 for a wheel just for this game are feeling. If you turn this game on with your brand new G27 and start driving, it may be some of the worst FFB settings I have ever experienced. Do not assume this is what FFB in racing sims feels like! Downgrade ETS2 to 1.3.1 and see what a wheel with FFB should feel like. I am hoping some magical combination of settings will resolve this but I just wanted to cruise some roads tonight before bed since it has been too long since I last fired up ETS2. Now I have to research what others have done to resolve this baffling patch.

I don't own a G27 but I saw this on a steam discussion thread. The people that tried it either liked it or thought it was a good start to tweak from. It might be worth trying; I hope it helps.
DNloader said:
I use G25.

PROFILER:
Overall: 100% (no more and no less than game FFB)
Spring: 100% (as above)
Damper: 100% (as above)
Centering OFF, 0% (if you turn this setting on, wheel will always tend to center itself at any conditions, which is unrealistic. For example, when your vehicle stands still, wheel must not turn at all. So I prefer to use in-game centering instead, which is applied correctly)

Allow game to adjust settings.

For ETS 2 I use 780° wheel rotation (To set exactly this, use keyboard left and right arrows)

Sensitivities:
25% Accelerator
20% Brake
35% Clutch

IN-GAME
50% Gain
50% Stiffness
100% Centering
25% Engine, Terrain and Collisions
75% Brake intensity
All these values can also be set via config.cfg and controls.sii files, pay attention to them.

After last update, I seek the most realistic game settings too, that's why I'm here. Try my setup, maybe it will help.

Nevasleep

ZxCh3IH.jpg

Uh ohhh!, nudged him as he stopped promptly when lights went amber. Then due to AI he decided to go forward.
Ended up going off-road around the roadworks.

Sye d'Burns

Cheers, will give it a go later tonight. I have seen companies struggle to find a good default FFB setting, but I have never experienced having the defaults be fine, and then later removed.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

I really need to look into getting a wheel. I tried setting up my T-Flight Hotas X and left disappointed. Maybe it's the ridiculous amount of time I've dumped into the 360 pad but I just could not get used to steering with the stick. If only there were a way to use the throttle in conjunction with the 360 pad.

Maybe I should hold out for one of these.

CxLHdow.jpg

---

As a level 26 Sye d'Burns sits in Bern contemplating retirement, Burt Burton in Zurich has just reached level 11. I wouldn't say I'm playing smarter but I think I'm playing better, or at least in a more realistic manner. The last go round, I focused heavily on getting my long haul maxxed out early and getting all points in the map discovered while strategically locating my garages across the map. Zurich typically has a lot of time sensitive deliveries so I dropped my first two points into Just In Time. I've been distributing points more suited to the needs of my environs and staying much closer to home on the map, with only three points invested distance.

It's been an entirely different experience. Allotted time permitting, I've been trying to hit some of those B roads, particularly in Switzerland and Italy that I bypassed for expediency's sake with my other character. The trips are typically much shorter, topping out around 8 hours or so. It's been much less demanding and even more relaxing in its own way.

Ultimately, I'm just throwing up even more artificial barriers to deepen the experience as, I've come to believe, for me, that I didn't go far enough in my previous game. My one complaint with the game is that it's just too easy to get on top of the money and ride the wave to success.

With my other character, if I invested earnestly rather than sitting on the money, I could've been buying new garage every 2-3 days. I think this time, I'm going to try expanding regionally as opposed to a pan-European level. Maybe, instead of throwing my first garage in Berlin or Manchester, I'll put it in Italy or Austria. If nothing else, I guess I'll conquer Europe in a more orderly fashion.

Burt Burton is up to level 23. I've recently opened up a second garage in Munich and I've already decided my third garage is going to be in Geneva with my fourth likely going into either Italy or Austria.

Limiting myself to expanding in a more natural fashion is probably the best move I've made. I'm still looking for the most opportune places to buy garages, (not going to be buying in Bern any time soon) it's just I'm focusing on expanding regionally first.

It seems fairly clear the economy was designed to move faster in order to accommodate people likely to be done with the game in 30-50 hours. I wish there were a mode, or a mod, that strengthened the economy by adding more uses for the overflowing buckets of money it is possible to earn. I'm thinking along the line of insurance, not just on your truck, but your entire fleet. I know one of the texture mods constrains the amount of money made per job, which is nice, but I just wish there were other ways to spend the money.

I started thinking this as I was hauling a 25k load of sand, which was a nightmare that I will do my utmost to avoid in the future. If I were on a point system, my license would have been revoked off that run. Break slightly too far into a turn, over-steer, careen into a guardrail, repeat down the length of Europe. 13% damage to my truck. It was awful, even minor steering corrections on a straight would lead to a wobbling trailer.

This may, may, be due to the realistic textures mod. I'm not sure if the designer tweaked the physics on loads like that or not but, with both the sand and a similar load of coal, it's nigh on impossible to drive those loads with anything but the utmost of caution. I can't recall ever having such issues in vanilla, which is where I spent about half of my play time.

---

http://i.imgur.com/ZxCh3IH.jpg[IMG]
Uh ohhh!, nudged him as he stopped promptly when lights went amber. Then due to AI he decided to go forward.
Ended up going off-road around the roadworks.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oWGnqjR.png

I had to call roadside assistance to extricate my truck from this underpass. There were three cars in front of me, waiting to proceed, and I was hemmed in from the back. Meanwhile, a steady, and I mean steady, stream of cars were exiting off-ramp from the east as they were spawning into the game. Thankfully, it was only a hundred CHF or so fee and 30 minutes of my clock. It was money well spent.

cbox

18 hour journey from Germany to Britain, and I took a turn too hard with a load of sand. 50k in damage. This game is awesome.

Running your own business is great too, took out a huge loan and hired 2 drivers. Slowly starting to make a profit, though I'm pulling all the weight for now.

Sye d'Burns

Cheers, will give it a go later tonight. I have seen companies struggle to find a good default FFB setting, but I have never experienced having the defaults be fine, and then later removed.

A post from Max on the SCS Software forum that you may find useful in your calibration. I believe he is one of the developers of the game.

Max said:
just note: in game steering wheel animation is from -390 to +390 degrees, thus 780 degrees range is exact.

I know 780 was what the other fellow had that I quoted last night. I guess this is the reason why.

JoseJX

So, I had my first real accident in the game today (15 hours in). I was running a 22t load from Salzberg to Dresden late at night, and while the roads weren't too bad, this run was only one lane each way. I come around a bend and WHAM 70kph into a car passing a truck going the opposite way. It stinks that you get fined for that too! Around 30% damage to my truck, the service light was on and the engine kept stalling out.

Still having way more fun with this game than I thought I was going to!

It seems fairly clear the economy was designed to move faster in order to accommodate people likely to be done with the game in 30-50 hours. I wish there were a mode, or a mod, that strengthened the economy by adding more uses for the overflowing buckets of money it is possible to earn.

Initial problem with the vanilla economy is your earn a crazy amount of money. Truck drivers earning £30k for a long day of driving?!? Earning more than a brain surgeon?

Project Realism comes with an economy mod that cuts the earnings by 10 times and extends the loan duration over a longer period. This really slows down the level of progression.

Sye d'Burns

Initial problem with the vanilla economy is your earn a crazy amount of money. Truck drivers earning £30k for a long day of driving?!? Earning more than a brain surgeon?

Project Realism comes with an economy mod that cuts the earnings by 10 times and extends the loan duration over a longer period. This really slows down the level of progression.

Oh, no doubt there's way too much money in the system. Pennies per mile wouldn't be practical for a game. They've just gone way too far in the other direction. I just wish there were more ways to spend it as opposed to investing it.

I've considered using the cash limiting texture mod, I am already use the one that doesn't alter the economy. I'm going to wait until after the DLC to throw on any more mods, but I'll keep this one on my radar. I'd hate to introduce conflicting mods.

Loving this game. Shame about the occasional slowdown. Would rather have the developer put time into optimization than maps that the community are doing a great job with anyway.
Will buy the DLC to support.

DJ_Lae

I finally decided to uncheck the 'speed limiter' option in the settings last night.

Now I can never go back. Blowing down straights over 130km/h is fantastic, I just have to remember to brake a lot more into turns or the entire thing will fishtail or topple over.

Sye d'Burns

I finally decided to uncheck the 'speed limiter' option in the settings last night.

Now I can never go back. Blowing down straights over 130km/h is fantastic, I just have to remember to brake a lot more into turns or the entire thing will fishtail or topple over.

I finally did this as well but I'm not entirely sold on it. The first couple of runs it was fantastic. It definitely tends to make me sloppy, though. Weaving lanes, speeding tickets and the more frequent repair bill have somewhat soured me on it. I'm trying to limit myself to just using the extra kmh for passing but I'm probably going to end up re-enabling the limiter.

Milamber

Hmm... ETS2 suddenly gave me a 12 mb update with no patch notes on Steam.

EDIT: Ooh, here it is...
- Improved resistance to some kinds of mod conflicts
- Added g_prefab_replace command simplifying rename of prefabs.
- Fixed issues with advisor after teleport.
- Fixed several possible instabilities.
- Fixed positioning of some company trailers.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just played some this past weekend. I'm slowly making my way around all the new cities in the TSM mod. Some of the new locations are very nice, can't believe how much variety the mod added to the landscape. I may never head back into vanilla game land again, lol.

Is there anyway to quickly get to any garages you want to buy, or do you physically have to drive there?

I have a stack of cash now and want to open a garage in the U.K, but I'm right down at the southern part of the map (the map pack section) and the U.K is one hell of a drive away :/

brentech

if you don't own it, the best thing you can do is quick travel to the closest garage. OR, take a quick job that starts in the city you want to purchase in, and do it that way.

Holy shit yes, been waiting for this for a while just got it while it was on sale during the greenlight thing. Super excited.

For the people that wanted to know about where I got my wheel so cheap it was a local mom and pop going out of business sorry.

Got my garage opened in Manchester now :) It was my first trip to my home town and I was disappointed that initially it looked like the same old copy and paste buildings. But noticed a couple in the background that actually exist here and it was rather nice seeing them.

I'm well on my way to having my 8 employees all having matching trucks now as well. I just wish you could custom paint them a la Forza. That would have been great.

Sye d'Burns

66% off Euro Truck Simulator 2 - £8.50 on Steam.

$13.60 in the US.

I've slowed down in my last 10 hours played or so. Still, given that I've put in 148 hours, I'd say this was the best bang for the buck I've spent all year.

There's just something about driving down the road at night listening to music or BBC 4 that just puts me in some sort of zone. So good.

If you missed your chance during the summer sale and lamented it later, this is your moment.

With the upcoming purchases of GTA V and the PS4, my wife would still kill me but, man, am I tempted!

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm on the fence buying this on Steam. But I keep hearing from some YouTube users playing the game that the developer is going to release a reworked "map" or "levels". Is that true?

Top Bottom