• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Milamber

Man, I had to choose between the TSM or the Promod Scandinavia one as they can't be played together. Overall, the Promod oozes quality much more than TSM. But TSM got much more cities.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, I had to choose between the TSM or the Promod Scandinavia one as they can't be played together. Overall, the Promod oozes quality much more than TSM. But TSM got much more cities.

I've never really looked at any map mods other than the TSM one, I'll have to look up this Promod.

One thing I've noticed since logging a couple hundred miles in the past week, there is a LOT more variety to the terrain and cityscapes now. I'm not sure if it's due to the Going East DLC or if it's from the new 4.1 version of TSM, but one of the two have added a lot of flair to the game. It's hard for me to tell which things were added by Going East and which ones are from TSM,. I also noticed that my map exploration got reset, so my new goal is to make the map all yellow again. I've got enough drivers working for me now that I can easily afford to drive between cities empty if I want to just go sightseeing or exploring. Call it a perk of owning a large international trucking company!

I wonder if there's a mod to add an exotic sportscar to the game for the successful businessman....

Krystof Koreni

Neo Member
I chose the Scandinavia ProMod for reasons of quality, but going on a Scandi job seems to cause graphical problems after a while as HUD and GPS tend to disappear on medium to long distance routes. Might just be me.

I bought it a few months back and have put over 100 hours into it so far. I love discovering new radio stations while driving along. There are some great ones out there, especially ones that cater to my classic rock needs :)

Just wondering, but is there a way to have your radio automatically retune according to the country you're driving through?

Milamber

Mmm... Nvidia Inspector sure cleaned up the jaggies. There are still some, but better than before...

ponEOEy.jpg

nfHhqs8.jpg

Mengy

I have a new favorite truck: the Volvo FH. I really like this one, with it's 750HP engine and good visibility, plus it's better looking than the old FH16 standard:

I was hauling somewhere in southern Europe yesterday and came across something I'd not seen ever before: an outdoor concert. There were cars parked all along the roadside and people standing around outside, and I kept hearing strange music playing over my Country 181 station, and then I saw the stage and realized just what was going on:

They've added a ton of cool little things like this to the game, I'm seeing lots of random stuff all over.

No idea if anyone can help. I've just grabbed the TSM map pack 4.1.2 as I needed to upgrade from 3.5 in order to use the Going East DLC.

But I've put the four files that come with the mod into the mod folder to replace the older mod files, and when I load the game, I don't see any of the extra map anymore?

If I put the old 3.5 file back then the extended map appears as normal. No idea how to fix this and the official forums are a bit of a nightmare if you can't read German. Thanks.

Mengy

No idea if anyone can help. I've just grabbed the TSM map pack 4.1.2 as I needed to upgrade from 3.5 in order to use the Going East DLC.

But I've put the four files that come with the mod into the mod folder to replace the older mod files, and when I load the game, I don't see any of the extra map anymore?

If I put the old 3.5 file back then the extended map appears as normal. No idea how to fix this and the official forums are a bit of a nightmare if you can't read German. Thanks.

Did you edit your profile to put a check mark next to the new mod files and enable them? I had to when I updated to TSM 4.1.

Did you edit your profile to put a check mark next to the new mod files and enable them? I had to when I updated to TSM 4.1.

Ahh I think you have hit the nail on the head (can't check it until later). I thought back when I installed 3.5 that you just ticked a box to allow mods. Not that you had to highlight any installed, so I bet that's what it is :) Cheers

Mengy

Just a heads up, the upcoming patch 1.9 for ETS2 is expected within the next week or two, and it has a high likelyhood of breaking many map mods such as ProMod and TSM (only until they are updated for the new changes). So if you don't want to have your modded game broken until the map makers update their stuff, uncheck the automatically update game box in Steam so that the game doesn't auto update on you.

xk0sm0sx

not seen ever before: an outdoor concert. There were cars parked all along the roadside and people standing around outside, and I kept hearing strange music playing over my Country 181 station, and then I saw the stage and realized just what was going on:

They've added a ton of cool little things like this to the game, I'm seeing lots of random stuff all over.

What? There's humans in this game? Are you playing the base game, or expansion pack, or a mod?

Blablurn

I can run games like Max Payne or DmC in highest settings. But it breaks my heart that ETS2 just runs so shitty on my laptop. When I tone it down it works, but still :( Wish it would run a lil better.

This is not a really demanding game. Make sure your drivers and DirectX are up to date. Use one of the settings preset instead of custom/advance settings.

Mengy

So a Scania Truck Driving Simulator is on sale on Steam today:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258760/

Store page says it came out June 12th 2012 yet it's up on the new releases page today, so I have no idea what that means but it seem to be new. Anyone ever play it or hear anything about it? It sounds like a ETS2 lite or something, certainly doesn't sound as interesting.

Store page says it came out June 12th 2012 yet it's up on the new releases page today, so I have no idea what that means but it seem to be new. Anyone ever play it or hear anything about it? It sounds like a ETS2 lite or something, certainly doesn't sound as interesting.

Im wondering the same, the screens look really good, but the release date is so old, super weird.

Aerocrane

According to the game's website it was released in 2012, but it got through greenlight and was now released on Steam. It seems to have the freeroaming of ETS2 but on a smaller scale.

Now available on Steam + new maps!

February 21, 2014
Scania Truck Driving Simulator has been Greenlit by the Steam community and is now available on Steam. Big thanks to everyone who supported us on our Greenlight page!
You can now also activate your retail copy on Steam to receive updates automatically.
We have also updated the game with 2 new Dangerous Drives and 1 new Competition map. Update is already included in the Steam version, non-Steam users can download the update here.

Mengy

So DaSquirrelsNuts put up a new video showing the new and improved AI of the new Beta 1.9 patch for ETS2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjE7lQMQBrM&list=UUSeb5KSN6BC1c0WwEjUzM_A&feature=c4-overview

Basically traffic is much improved in it's behavior, I was honestly impressed by how much its improved.

Also remember that we dont know yet if this patch will break mods and map packs or not, so you may want to backup your saves and even flag steam to not auto-update your game if you want to take a wait and see approach.

So DaSquirrelsNuts put up a new video showing the new and improved AI of the new Beta 1.9 patch for ETS2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjE7lQMQBrM&list=UUSeb5KSN6BC1c0WwEjUzM_A&feature=c4-overview

Basically traffic is much improved in it's behavior, I was honestly impressed by how much its improved.

Also remember that we dont know yet if this patch will break mods and map packs or not, so you may want to backup your saves and even flag steam to not auto-update your game if you want to take a wait and see approach.

That's awesome. Time to rebind the indicator lights.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

pretty cool!
this makes me hope there's eventually an even more advanced version which allows the player to select how polite the drivers are on the road (or how many impolite drivers there are on the road) with a slider, similar to rain frequency etc.

edit: also, I seem to remember this game having rumble support on gamepad. Is this not the case?

Card Boy

Banned
1.9 patch:

Code:
Brand new traffic AI system;
Oculus Rift support (with the -oculus launch option - this will be improved in the future), now also in the retail version;
Early support for gamepad-controlled mouse cursor;
Improved handling of automatic gearbox (more gears, interaction with cruise control);
Improved compatibility with semi-broken prefabs used in mods;
Improved error handling in radio playback;
Updated defaults for the Xbox 360 controller in the input wizard to provide a better initial experience.

Models:
Scania Streamline improvements (model, textures, paint jobs, new parts and accessories) - you may need visit truck dealer and re-purchase some parts;
Volvo FH16 improvements (interior, wipers, shadows);
Iveco Hi-way improvements (dashboard computer, shadows);
Paintjobs are properly applied on add-ons in interior views;
Map improvements.

Sound:
V8 engine sounds for Scania R and Scania Streamline.

Doctor_Who_yes_2.gif

Small patch notes but adds some pretty big stuff.

Mengy

1.9 patch:

Small patch notes but adds some pretty big stuff.

I played around some with the 1.9 beta patch, and the AI changes are huge. Using turn signals actually works now, and traffic will notice and react accordingly. I went back to 1.8 afterwards and I honestly hated it, the dumb stupid traffic is really glaring now that I've seen 1.9. One thing though, patch 1.9 breaks most mods, so if you want to keep playing with map mods and such you need to either wait until your mods get updated or stay with 1.8 for the time being.

Watevaman

I meant to find this thread in my subscribed list and ask this. Since I'm still on I think 1.4 or something and I really want to install the new update, I wanted to come here and ask what exactly the proper procedure is for mods+updates. According to my mod folder, I've got the current mods installed (keep in mind these are probably all old now):

-ETS2 Engine Sound Mod V5
-Realistic Physics Mod v.7 (1.41+)
-TSM Map 3.5
-XP + Economy mod 1.1

I remember hearing in particular that TSM can affect/be affected by updates, so what would be my best course of action for updating the game? Do I need to uninstall these or something in order to keep my current save?

Aaron D.

Before installing the 1.9 update I would fire up the game and go into the Edit Profile menu. From there I'd uncheck all installed mods and then start my last save. You'll likely get a warning saying the Profile has changed since you last session, but go ahead anyway.

After testing the stability for a bit to make sure everything checks out, create a couple new "vanilla" game saves. You should now be good to go for installing the 1.9 patch. Simply go back to your vanilla saves after updating. From there you can add your old mods in to test for stability. Remember to keep at least one vanilla save untouched in case you run into compatibility issues with your mods.

In other news, I just learned that the MS Speed wheel works with ETS2.

k2olmc.jpg

I've been using a 360 pad with Euro Truck since early 2013, so I'm pretty excited to give my Speed Wheel a go with the game. Not as sophisticated as a proper Wheel/Track IR setup, but an elegant in-between as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone have any experience with Speed Wheel configs for ETS2?

Mengy

So Euro Truck Sim 2 is 80% off this weekend, $4.99, for like the next two days:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/

The Going East DLC is also on sale for $4.41. Or the Gold Bundle that includes the main game plus expansion is only $6.99. That's a great deal.

Ravenn17

So what are everyone's favorite truck mods?

As far as American trucks go, these are are the best I have come across in terms of modelling, sound, and customization:

Peterbilt 379 w/ CAT 15 sound by kriechbaum, Conte, and Stas556
Kenworth Long Edition by dmitry68 and Stas556 w/ sound mod by kriechbaum
Peterbilt 389 w/ CAT 15 sound by kriechbaum, dmitry68 and Stas556
Kenworth K100 by AU44
Kenworth W900A w/ 8V92 Engine sound V6 by kriechbaum, dmitry68 and Stas556
Volvo VNL 780 by AU44 w/ sound mod by kriechbaum

I found them all on http://ets2mods.org/.

Sye d'Burns

I saw this today.

Rounding up the set!
We are happy to confirm that we now have the official approval to start building a new truck - Mercedes-Benz New Actros will be coming to Euro Truck Simulator 2!

Implementing a new truck model into the game is a time consuming adventure on the order of several months, so please be patient with us.

Once the New Actros is completed, we will have reached the dream scenario of having fully branded trucks from all seven major European truck manufacturers in our game. Frankly, four years ago when we started the first round of approaching truck companies, we were far from sure if we can ever reach this stage. From that point onwards, we would love to be able to keep up with model refreshes as well as take a look at alternate vehicle configurations, product lines, or specialized rigs.

There are now 3 trucks in various stages of completion under development for ETS2, but also 3 more truck models are under development at the same time for American Truck Simulator! (Well and then some coach buses too for yet another project). The vehicle team at SCS has grown to 4x the size it was two years ago, all thanks to never-ceasing support from our fans and customers. Some of you might dislike us spending time working on paint job packs for Steam, but in reality such work is not a distraction, it is buying us time to improve the game that was released on the market a year and a half ago, while also developing new projects in parallel.

http://blog.scssoft.com/2014/04/rounding-up-set.html

Mercedez finally gave in? Really? That makes the game awesome now since it's all brand name truck manufacturers.

I have to remember to pick this back up again when I get back home from college. I miss my trucking.

Mengy

SCS Software have posted some new images on their blog, showcasing some environments from American Truck Simulator.

Those shots look great! Is it crazy that this is one of my most anticipated games of the near future? ETS2 really sunk it's hooks into me, I'm still playing it now and then.

Speaking of ETS2, the TSM map mod recently got updated to work with version 1.9+ of the game:

http://trucksim-map.com/news/?a67c13bc&l=2

The improved AI of 1.9 is so much better than before, it's really made a big difference driving within the game.

Mengy

Multiplayer alpha opens for everyone tomorrow: http://alpha.ets2mp.com/

Very cool. Some details about the MP alpha:

Q: What's the size of the multiplayer files?
A: About 1 MB.

Q: How long alpha tests will last?
A: Depends on amount of major bugs we detect. If there will not be many bugs, mod will be released then.

Q: Are Open Alpha tests for everyone?
A: Yes. Unless you don't have original copy of game on steam. (REMEMBER! You can activate your game cd-key on Steam!)

Q: How much will multiplayer cost?
A: Multiplayer is free to download, free to play. It costs 0€/0PLN/$0/£0 and 0 of any other currency :).

Q: Is DLC "Going East!" necessary to play ETS2MP?
A: No it isn't.

Q: Is ETS2MP update of game, or separated installer which will be downloaded from your servers?
A: ETS2MP is a separated application which can be downloaded directly from our website (http://alpha.ets2mp.com).

Yeah, me too, I tried it out yesterday and it couldn't connect at all. Maybe the server is down?

I managed to connect a few times. It took me about 5 mins to connect.

The Multiplayer is a lot of fun! but i had many close calls as trucks were travelling on the wrong side of the road!

Just bought this game from HB. https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Holy shit am I suck at reverse parking. Have been practicing for like half an hour but I still couldn't shit properly. I need lie down and rest for awhile. Then come back and try again. I'm a damn good in reverse parking but it's just fucking hard to reverse park a truck.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I gave up and just let it auto-park. Not like you need the extra cash if you do quick jobs, you know?

Milamber

Learning to reverse parking a trailer is good life skills in real life and so satisfying ingame to pull off in one go. Also doing it yourself nets you extra XP. That adds up ya know.

Top Bottom