• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I played quite a bit of this last night. Earned about 20k doing jobs and took out a 100k loan. Bought a 99k truck. I thought I'd earn a lot more with my own rig, but kind of regretting not going with the 400k loan and getting my whole operation set up. About how much can I earn daily once I have my own garage and drivers? I may take out the bigger loan and use it to pay off the 100k, then go from there. Also, what are the best things to level up?

This was posted by CaptainAhab:

ADR class 6 and class 2 have the highest payout for some types of cargo (ex: acid, which has a price coefficient of 2.20). However, because ADR deliveries only have a single level, they're not the way to make more money. Heavy cargo has (in general) a higher price coefficient than fragile cargo. Since you can increase your % bonus by leveling these up, with Heavy Cargo at level 6 and just-in-time at level 6 (since these combine), you will get the most money going with those skills.

That being said, Fragile cargo has a slightly higher XP bonus than Heavy Cargo (22% vs 18%). So if you're looking to squeeze out more XP rather than money, then you should go Fragile cargo level 6 and Just-in-time level 6. Personally I feel that leveling up is fast enough already, and you'd be better off going for the cash option of Heavy Cargo + JIT.

You'll also want to level up Long Distance, since this will give you reward bonuses that stack with the other skills.

A typical game would look like this for me: Heavy, JIT, Heavy, JIT, Heavy, Long Distance, Heavy, Heavy, Long Distance, Heavy, JIT, JIT, JIT, JIT, Long Distance (up to max). Lastly I'd spend on eco-driving.

Two final tips: When searching for a job, always list by "Price per distance" in order to get the maximum payout per mile. Learn how to park the trailers and never skip parking them manually, so you always get the xp bonus for that.

So, what names did everyone pick for their companies?

I'm running with Big Jimmy's Jiffy Transport

GK's Big Rigs. Lame I know, but I just wanted to start playing.

I just purchased this game during the Steam sale. I recently got my Rift dev kit, so I'm buying up anything and everything that might work with it. So I found my DF wheel in the garage (which I had never set up on my PC), tweaked some game setting, injected some .dlls, put on my rift and set out terrorize the European highways.

The developers have been hinting at proper rift support, and hopefully that comes soon, because the hacked-together method I tried causes weird texture issues to pop up after a couple of minutes of gametime. The head-tracking worked fine, and it was quite amazing, until the seizure-inducing graphic freak out.

So I was just about to put the game aside and wait for a rift patch. But before I did, my son happened to get a glimpse of the game. He's 10, and autistic. He falls very near the center of the spectrum. Maybe tilting towards the high-functioning. He is very verbal and very smart, but socially unaware.

For as long as I can remember, he's had this fascination with road signs and maps. He will literally walk up to road signs and talk to them, and hug them. He is a terrible back seat driver because he knows the name of every road and he is very insistent we take certain routes. It can be quite maddening when you're trying to get someplace in a hurry and he insists you take a particular path. But he is a happy and beautiful boy, and we try to accommodate his requests whenever practical.

He loves games (what 10 year old boy doesn't) but usually sticks with LBP, or he creates towns and roads in Garry's Mod. He was intrigued to see the wheel controller set up in front of the PC, and when he seen me driving a big rig, he insisted that I let him try (like...immediately).

Once he took the wheel in his hand, and felt the rumble of the engine, a huge smile spread across his face. He soon figured out the controls and set off down the road. He was exuberant. He followed the rules of the road and was a considerate driver. A storm rolled in and it started to rain. (storms are another fascination of his) He could barely contain himself. As the lightening cracked, he was bursting with glee.

I must tell you, as a parent of an autistic child, I swelled up with tears. I still swell up with tears just remembering the moment. Seeing this type of interaction is rare. Plus, he wanted to involve me...show me the roads, show me the storms, show me his progress. It was a very special moment for us.

Also, and this may sound ridiculous, but this experience gave me hope that he might someday be able to support himself and have a fulfilling career. I know it's just a game, but in that instant it expanded our vision of his potential future.

I just needed to share this, and say thank you to the devs.

Because of this experience, I gave the game more time myself, and can clearly see why people love it. The RPS review said it much better than I could. I put in about 3 hours last night and it was fabulous. Specifically, support for the DF wheel is spectacular. the force feedback is top-notch and I can almost map all the controls to the wheel. Every button on the wheel can be assigned.

I went in with pretty low expectations. For 10 bucks, I got much more than I could've imagined.

Quote for new-ish page. I've been eyeing this game the past couple days but this was the post that pushed me over the edge.

Milamber

My Docs -> Euro Truck Sim 2 -> Open live_streams.sii with Notepad.
Scroll to the bottom of the list.
Add the following

Ensure that where it says stream_data[196] that the one previous is 195. Otherwise change it so that each one has an individual "slot".

ps. I threw in Cool FM as well, best NI radio station ;)

Thanks, I found someone that compiled a 250+ station one...

http://pastebin.com/4FZpU2iZ

Just download it to...

Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\

...and replace/rename your "live_streams.sii" with this one. This worked great.

This game is incredible, I had the best time with it last night.

Here is my control scheme for the 360 pad, setting this up made a huge difference for me:

Bumpers - Shifting
Triggers - Accelerating
Select / Start button - Turn Signals
Face buttons - Horns, Wipers, Camera Switch
Right Trigger Click - Camera default
Left Trigger Click - Cruise Control (not sure if it works or if it just wasn't on my truck.. is there a way to check when it enables?)
d-pad buttons - Light controls

jyoung188

Go to the BST thread and buy it from Dunder for $4. No idea on the wheel support. However, this game is making me think about purchasing a G27...

I PM'd Dunder but didn't get a response so I caved and bought it on steam just before the deal expired. I've been eyeing it on steam ever since the epic GB quicklook and this thread pushed me over the edge, I'm excited to try it out when I get home. Hopefully my 360 wheel will work, if not I'll try with a 360 controller.

Arcticfox

I hope they integrate the radio better in future versions. I would love to just be able to hit a scan button and it would select a radio station from the city or country I am driving through.

I am also in the camp for a more realistic scale. I am the type of person that finds the 6/12/24 hour endurance races in the Gran Turismo series the best events and replay them many times. I would enjoy driving for hours just to get from one city to another even if the surroundings were mostly procedurally generated.

Gigarator

If anybody is looking for a good hard rock/metal station then try Team Rock Radio, I heard about this launching while at Download festival this year and decided playing ETS2 was as good a time as any to give it a listen. Seems good so far, just got done with a 2 hour treck along the continent and they played QOTSA, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Rammstein, Ratt, Led Zepplin etc etc good stuff & no ads.

Code:
 stream_data[62]: "http://teamrock.planetwideradio.com:8000/teamrockhigh|Team Rock Radio(128k)"
Change the [62] to whatever is next in your live_streams.sii list.

Mengy said:
Remember, England uses MPH while Europe is mostly in KPH (Kilometers Per Hour). I use the options to switch my dashboard between the two depending on where I am driving.
Are you doing this manually or is there an option I'm missing that does the switch automatically?

Double D

I PM'd Dunder but didn't get a response so I caved and bought it on steam just before the deal expired. I've been eyeing it on steam ever since the epic GB quicklook and this thread pushed me over the edge, I'm excited to try it out when I get home. Hopefully my 360 wheel will work, if not I'll try with a 360 controller.

I've been playing with a 360 controller and its been fine.

I need to find a mod that 'fixes' the merging issue the AI seems to have. Perhaps increase traffic density on the roads too, as it's pretty sparse at times. I think haulage weight and momentum could be heavier too, as at times it doesn't seem to increase drag, sway, or fishtailing of the truck.

Ty4on

Left Trigger Click - Cruise Control (not sure if it works or if it just wasn't on my truck.. is there a way to check when it enables?)
Toggle the info display in the dash. They look different in different trucks, but I think they are temp, fuel and cruise control in all trucks. In my Daf it shows speed and CC speed, but in a Scania it showed a big CC sign next to the assigned speed.

Hope you could understand my Vita writing T.T

Nevasleep

I've played the first Euro Truck Simulator wayyy too much.
But I love the online radio stations and variety of scenery in the second, although I find the performance isn't as good on my laptop.

So glad to see this get an OT and the love that it deserves. I think my Steam logs my playtime at 70+ hours so far and I'm not bored of it yet. This damn heatwave in the UK means a severely reduced gametime at the moment, but this is making me want to fire it up right now and get a couple of runs in. Excited for the expansion

I know to some people it sounds insane that a game such as this can be so compelling, but I just stick a podcast on, get my 360 pad out and get truckin' with a beer. it's just a wonderful way to relax.

Scania 4 lyfe :-D I even have GAF colours on my rig!

Blablurn

So glad to see this get an OT and the love that it deserves. I think my Steam logs my playtime at 70+ hours so far and I'm not bored of it yet. This damn heatwave in the UK means a severely reduced gametime at the moment, but this is making me want to fire it up right now and get a couple of runs in. Excited for the expansion

I know to some people it sounds insane that a game such as this can be so compelling, but I just stick a podcast on, get my 360 pad out and get truckin' with a beer. it's just a wonderful way to relax.

Scania 4 lyfe :-D I even have GAF colours on my rig!

looks awesome!

SHarris78

Just had a go on this. Got to my destination, stopped and indicated to turn into the depot.......a car which was about to drive past stopped and flashed its lights at me for me to drive in! Wasn't expecting that!

Irminsul

Quick question: Played the demo, read this thread and now couldn't resist to buy the game. Can I use the save file from the demo or do I have to start from scratch? The demo is quite extensive, so I already got some stuff there...

Played for a couple hours yesterday and found it oddly compelling! One thing though, I had to sleep and didn't see any icon to park on even though the GPS said I was in the right place. Got like five no sleeping tickets and started dozing. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't the spaces look like I could actually sleep?

Addnan

The feedback on the wheel when you drive on the white line is annoying lol. I'm finding it a little hard to keep every wheel off the line all the time, but as soon as you touch a line. Rumble, rumble.

Quick question: Played the demo, read this thread and now couldn't resist to buy the game. Can I use the save file from the demo or do I have to start from scratch? The demo is quite extensive, so I already got some stuff there...

Yep, you can use your save game from the demo to carry over your progress. I opted to start a brand new game but I did have the option to continue with my progress from the demo.

Irminsul

Played for a couple hours yesterday and found it oddly compelling! One thing though, I had to sleep and didn't see any icon to park on even though the GPS said I was in the right place. Got like five no sleeping tickets and started dozing. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't the spaces look like I could actually sleep?
I think you just have to look for long parking slots. When you stop there, you'll get an option to sleep.

EDIT: Thanks, Shadowman!

Gigarator

Classy. Some may say I've gone overboard with lights on mine but mo' lights mo' money.

i9EtgeneasDZG.png

Ty4on

Lights are awesome. I don't fill every spot, but I use enough to light the road like daylight and not see any cars flashing me :p

Hate that motorways aren't properly lit though. Signs for example are way too dark.

Sye d'Burns

^ I've been wondering if you can get BBC radios stations into the game, never looked into it though. Thanks for posting that, working perfectly!

I must be doing something wrong. I'm unable to get the BBC streams to play in neither ETS2 or VLC. Are the streams limited to the UK?

panty

So are there any must-have mods for this game? I'm running everything maxed out but still some of your shots look better than mine. Lot of jagged edges for one.

http://pastebin.com/4FZpU2iZ

Just download it to...

Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\

...and replace/rename your "live_streams.sii" with this one. All the stations are categorized and all the BBC ones here work. That's 461 stations!

Damn, I was looking for an NPR stream of the proper format and saw one on the list but it doesn't apparently work.

Edit:

Nevermind, it's http://nprdmp.ic.llnwd.net/stream/nprdmp_live01_mp3 The trick is to download the .pls file with a text editor. The mp3 address is in there.

Onikaan

Driving at night is amazing.

Been playing the Demo for a few hours. The Demo seems to be quite lacking in restriction? I should probably get the full game, but how far will the demo let me go?

Ty4on

461 stations sounds awesome and I will download that when I come home, but if you really need station X why aren't you just streaming it in the background?

TheExodu5

Banned
I can't get my G25 H-Shifter to work. The buttons read fine in the configuration, but the shifting doesn't seem to work in the game. I can't get into gear no matter what I try.

edit: I'm an idiot. Forgot to use the clutch.

calder

The limit for trucks in UK is 56mph on a motorway. Cars are 70mph. Maybe this game uses 70mph for all vehicles though, I don't know.

Huh maybe. I use KPH in my rig like all right-thinking folk do, but I'm still speeding a lot. A few times it's definitely legit, I'm not slowing down for a service area or something and get dinged accordingly. But I just use the road signs being 60 to mean 60MPH, which I figure is fine since my truck can literally not go faster than 90KPH which should be well below 60MPH. Even if the actual limit is 56MPH instead of 60 like the signs say I should be under at (barely) 90KPH.

I actually assumed the better GPS's you can get later in the game would do the conversion automatically, seeing as how the $100 Garmin in my car switches to MPH as soon as I hit the US border. ;) But I guess I may need to start doing it manually in game.

Oh and another thing Europe, why don't your signs show whether it's kilometers or miles? Or is that just a thing in the game? I'm way too used to all speed limits being posted clearly in one or the other. I won't even get into how small and easy to miss I find the round speed signs in this game, I guess in North America they know if the signs aren't house-sized everyone will ignore them. ;)

Top Bottom