• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

Picked this up for $10... played 3 hours so far.

I'm getting better at driving the truck and backing in when making deliveries.

The in-game radio stations make the game crash on my machine for some reason, but I found a good internet radio station outside the game to listen to while playing.

This game is actually a lot of fun.

So glad I picked this up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The in-game radio stations make the game crash on my machine for some reason, but I found a good internet radio station outside the game to listen to while playing.
Does it actually shut down or just freeze up? It will freeze up while it is connecting/buffering the stream. If a station takes a long time it can seem like the game is stuck that way.

What's with the highways where one lane suddenly breaks off into an exit? I've had several accidents where I found myself in the wrong lane at the last minute and had to merge into the other lane... to the misfortune of the car in the other lane.

Does it actually shut down or just freeze up? It will freeze up while it is connecting/buffering the stream. If a station takes a long time it can seem like the game is stuck that way.

It freezes.

I found some that work now that I've tried it again, but some of them must take a really long time to buffer because I've left it for a minute and there was no response from the game, leading me to think it was frozen.

Talyn

The really annoying thing is if you're using the music player with your own MP3s it does the same thing each time a new song begins...so it freezes for a second or 2 while you're driving. In this case it seems like the freeze length is based on the size of the file in question which makes playing higher bitrate music a pain in the ass. Has anyone else noticed this? I also think my problem is exacerbated by the fact that I'm playing on a laptop with a 5400rpm drive but it's definitely something I hope they can fix because while I can live with it freezing in the radio menu when starting a new stream, having the same thing happen constantly with local music just kills the flow of the experience.

Milamber

The really annoying thing is if you're using the music player with your own MP3s it does the same thing each time a new song begins...so it freezes for a second or 2 while you're driving. In this case it seems like the freeze length is based on the size of the file in question which makes playing higher bitrate music a pain in the ass. Has anyone else noticed this? I also think my problem is exacerbated by the fact that I'm playing on a laptop with a 5400rpm drive but it's definitely something I hope they can fix because while I can live with it freezing in the radio menu when starting a new stream, having the same thing happen constantly with local music just kills the flow of the experience.

It's not you. Rocking an SSD here and it still does it.

Got these Coast to Coast AM w/ Art Bell streams working

stream_data[196]: "http://stream1.u7radio.org:8000|Art Bell 1 - U7Radio"
stream_data[197]: "http://stream2.u7radio.org:8000|Art Bell 2 - U7Radio"
stream_data[198]: "http://stream3.u7radio.org:8500|Art Bell 3 - U7Radio"

Can be a pretty interesting experience listening to some of the more ridiculous shows while trucking around at night

Milamber

Got these Coast to Coast AM w/ Art Bell streams working

stream_data[196]: "http://stream1.u7radio.org:8000|Art Bell 1 - U7Radio"
stream_data[197]: "http://stream2.u7radio.org:8000|Art Bell 2 - U7Radio"
stream_data[198]: "http://stream3.u7radio.org:8500|Art Bell 3 - U7Radio"

Can be a pretty interesting experience listening to some of the more ridiculous shows while trucking around at night

Hmm... these are great. But I'm not sure if an US radio station works in an EU setting, aesthetically.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Loving the game.

I picked it up on the Steam sale like most everyone else. I'm slowly building my NeoGAF trucking company.

The devs of this game need to release a North American expansion DLC and print money.

Double D

Ever since I got my own truck I haven't done a Quick Job. Kind of curious how they even work at this point. Would I just be teleported to where I last left my truck after the job?

I assume everyone has the same method. Run a job, then search for the most profitable job that departs from my current location. My problems with this are that I often get stuck in a rut going back and forth between the same places, and also that if I just look at the highest paying jobs in all of Europe there is always some that are way above the rate of those closest to my current location. Sometimes I'll even sleep if I don't like the current jobs.

Any pro-tips or are you guys experiencing the same thing?

Milamber

Ever since I got my own truck I haven't done a Quick Job. Kind of curious how they even work at this point. Would I just be teleported to where I last left my truck after the job?

I assume everyone has the same method. Run a job, then search for the most profitable job that departs from my current location. My problems with this are that I often get stuck in a rut going back and forth between the same places, and also that if I just look at the highest paying jobs in all of Europe there is always some that are way above the rate of those closest to my current location. Sometimes I'll even sleep if I don't like the current jobs.

I've definitely been experiencing that in the early game. I think you just have to keep upgrading your long distance to get the better jobs. I haven't moved much to mid-game yet as I have been trying out some mods that require starting up a new game.

EDIT: The radio video sums up what I enjoy from ETS2. Hilarious.

I'm a little curious as to how the game works with H-shifters. My truck has 12 gears (didn't know trucks had that many gears :-/ ), so how do they match that up with the H-shifters? I imagine that aren't 12 gears on most H-shifters?

Any tips on getting the radio stream file to work properly. I created a .sii file with the streams from the pastebin link but the game keeps overwriting the file when I start the game. I tried making the file read only but then the game just wouldn't load any streams at all :(

Milamber

Any tips on getting the radio stream file to work properly. I created a .sii file with the streams from the pastebin link but the game keeps overwriting the file when I start the game. I tried making the file read only but then the game just wouldn't load any streams at all :(

Game should not do that. Are you sure it is the "live_streams.sii" located here?
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2

Is it updated from steam? Did you go ingame first and clicked "Update from Internet" the first time? You just have to overwrite the existing "live_streams.sii" after.

SHarris78

Nothing like a Sunday morning drive to Southampton in the wonderful British weather!

9DEUa2w.jpg

dejay

Banned
Found a '70s and '80s station in Geneva I think. Dat disco, rolling into the night - love it.

Been many years since I heard Cerrone - Supernature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgGK4qBTwpw

Still holds up well in my opinion.

I've had the controller spaz out a couple of times - engine and lights turn off and the wipers turn on and sometimes the view changes. Keeps me on my toes!

I've found assigning gear change to the up and down on the left stick works well - much easier than when I had them on the bumpers.

Game should not do that. Are you sure it is the "live_streams.sii" located here?
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2

Is it updated from steam? Did you go ingame first and clicked "Update from Internet" the first time? You just have to overwrite the existing "live_streams.sii" after.

My steps were:
- Update From Internet in game to load the latest stream.
- Go to My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2 (I need to double check the actual path when I'm back at home, I'm not sure if I was editing the write one but there was the file in question there...)
- Open up the .sii file in notepad and paste in the new streams
- Choose "save as", all files, text encoding type was set to unicode
- Reload the game. Go into the radio again and choose "Update from Internet" at which point the old streams were reloaded, and any changes I'd made in the .sii file disappeared.

Milamber

My steps were:
- Update From Internet in game to load the latest stream.
- Go to My Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2 (I need to double check the actual path when I'm back at home, I'm not sure if I was editing the write one but there was the file in question there...)
- Open up the .sii file in notepad and paste in the new streams
- Choose "save as", all files, text encoding type was set to unicode
- Reload the game. Go into the radio again and choose "Update from Internet" at which point the old streams were reloaded, and any changes I'd made in the .sii file disappeared.

delete the .sii file completely. create a new one with just the pasted text inside it. Go to game and check the stations. do not "Update from Internet". You have been using this pastebin, right?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Don't be afraid to drive around empty to get to another nearby city for a job. I regularly search not only my current location but the nearby neighbor cities as well and will pick the one with the highest price per distance ratio. Often times the best job I can get is not where I currently am.

Just make sure you have enough time to make it to the job location before it expires. More than once it's taken me too long to get somewhere and I missed the job I was going to get, lol.

xk0sm0sx

Indeed, I've been looking for a game that simulates the realistic experience of driving, one that encourages following traffic rules.

Tried GTA:LC, Gran Turismo, Midnight Club. If you purposely limit your speed, the games becomes boring. Yet this game has managed to make one feel to obey traffic rules like flicking your signal lights, on/off wipers, turn on headlights. I can imagine how your son must have felt when he finally sees a game that models the real world as a playground, even more so when he's obsessed with such details. (There are many other people that loves these details, and thankfully there are niche games catered for this crowd)

Side note, I would love to drive some other civilians vehicles though, any mods for that? I also find the maps are too small. I would like to drive and not have to keep turning the steering every 30 seconds.

statham

delete the .sii file completely. create a new one with just the pasted text inside it. Go to game and check the stations. do not "Update from Internet". You have been using this pastebin, right?

I'm having no luck either, notepad seems to be saving it "live_streams.sii.txt" I think the .txt is causing the problem

Lettuce

God damn i seriously hope this game gets Oculus Rift support, when the 2nd release comes out with 1080p im soo getting it. By that time hopefully ETS2 will has support for it

AxeMan

I'm having no luck either, notepad seems to be saving it "live_streams.sii.txt" I think the .txt is causing the problem

In Notepad when you hit 'Save As' change the file type from '.txt' to all types

Also try viewing file extensions (setting in Windows Explorer) and manually deleting the .txt from the file name

antitrop

Excellent game, great to just drive around and listen to the radio, enjoy the view.

Only 'problem' is you need to get a wheel, it's the ultimate experience. Just not the same with a keyboard or controller.

I won't accept anything less than a huge steering wheel, a monstrous gear shift, and the Oculus Rift.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I'm glad so many people have been getting into this due to the Summer sale. I picked it up in the Spring sale and fell in love with it. I was never one to play simulators like this before that.

Skerj

No CB Radio mod?!

Euro Truck Sim 3 with persistent MP and a new corp dispatcher player mode. They keep your schedule straight and make sure that your alert pills are juuust this side of legal and that the hookers you pick up are juuuust this side of slurchy.
I would buy the hell out of that

A vent server dedicated to RP'ing this would be hilarious.

Top Bottom