• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Truck Sim 2 |OT| - it's like Elite, but in a big rig and in Europe

delete the .sii file completely. create a new one with just the pasted text inside it. Go to game and check the stations. do not "Update from Internet". You have been using this pastebin, right?

Cool thanks, I was in a rush this morning and didn't follow a couple of those steps correctly. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance to get this working properly. Many Thanks :)

Indeed, I've been looking for a game that simulates the realistic experience of driving, one that encourages following traffic rules.

Side note, I would love to drive some other civilians vehicles though, any mods for that? I also find the maps are too small. I would like to drive and not have to keep turning the steering every 30 seconds.

I've seen mods for buses for the game, but I've no idea if you can actually ferry people around in one or if its purely for aesthetic value.

I'm a little curious as to how the game works with H-shifters. My truck has 12 gears (didn't know trucks had that many gears :-/ ), so how do they match that up with the H-shifters? I imagine that aren't 12 gears on most H-shifters?
You assign a button to swap the h shifter from 1-6 to 7-12. So I start off shifting from 1-6 once I hit 6, before I shift to 7 I hit the box switch button and now when I shift to "1st" it will actually switch into 7. Now 2 is 8 etc. not nearly as confusing as it sounds.

Czigga

anyone have any opinion on this vs train sim 2013? both look interesting but don't wanna plunge on both quite yet

DagsJT

Literally fell asleep at the wheel :(

Driving along, chilled out ... next thing I was dozing off and I heard a bang and I jumped up and I'd crashed into the railing.

Don't play driving video games when tired, kids!

anyone have any opinion on this vs train sim 2013? both look interesting but don't wanna plunge on both quite yet

I played almost 100 hours of Trainz Simulator 2011/2012, is a very good game but there's no career mode, no tycoon gameplay.

This one is a lot better and meaty.

Btw, how many kilometers 'till OT2? ;)

This is probably a stupid question because I'm probably the only person dealing with it. I bought this stand for my wheel months ago:

For the most part it works perfectly for my wheel. The one problem is, I play on a hardwood floor and out of the box there is nothing keeping it from just sliding (that foot on the back is hard rubber, almost like plastic and does nothing). Now my solution has been to use non-skid bumpers that I bought, which absolutely do the trick, except the adhesive can't take the force over more than a few hours and the pull off. I just took 2 of the used pads that pulled off and sanded the back smooth and applied them to the bottom with super glue. The adhesion seems stronger but I'm not full convinced it will hold long term.

I think a perfect solution would be some kind of non-skid tape that I could apply across the entire length of each side but I have yet to find something like that. Has anyone else solved this problem?

You assign a button to swap the h shifter from 1-6 to 7-12. So I start off shifting from 1-6 once I hit 6, before I shift to 7 I hit the box switch button and now when I shift to "1st" it will actually switch into 7. Now 2 is 8 etc. not nearly as confusing as it sounds.
Ah! That's pretty ingenious. Thanks for the answer. Sounds prett complicated though.

Watevaman

Ah! That's pretty ingenious. Thanks for the answer. Sounds prett complicated though.

That's how most trucks in real life do it. Our big dump truck at work is a 10 speed I believe and there's a switch on the side that you flip when you want to switch to high gears (6-10).

Alright guys, any pointers for properly shifting in certain situations? The concept of shifting isn't new to me, as I've been playing racing sims for years, but I think I'm treating this too much like a racing game rather than a truck driving game. I find myself bogging down on ramps and am stopping way too early. The tachs in the trucks have two main zones outside of their redline, one is green (which I assume/use for cruising) and one is blue and typically in the higher range (like 2-2.5k RPM). Is the blue one what most of you guys use when you're actually getting up to speed and going up hills? It feels like that's where the powerband is for really pulling.

jyoung188

Alright guys, any pointers for properly shifting in certain situations? The concept of shifting isn't new to me, as I've been playing racing sims for years, but I think I'm treating this too much like a racing game rather than a truck driving game. I find myself bogging down on ramps and am stopping way too early. The tachs in the trucks have two main zones outside of their redline, one is green (which I assume/use for cruising) and one is blue and typically in the higher range (like 2-2.5k RPM). Is the blue one what most of you guys use when you're actually getting up to speed and going up hills? It feels like that's where the powerband is for really pulling.

I would like tips on this too. I always try to stay in the power band but even then I've found that unless I keep up my momentum I'm constantly downshifting up hills and losing speed like crazy. They are huge heavy machines so it makes sense, I just need to get better at it.

And are there any good engine sound mods? The engine sounds are super quiet, i have to turn the radio almost all the way down to hear it. Maybe I should play with headphones.

Gigarator

Alright this was really cool and unexpected. I'm listening to EKR, a digital rock station in the UK on the in-game radio and the dj just gave a shout out to the people playing ETS2. Not only that but he then gave reference to Halo 2 and played this.

Surreal.

Fox Mulder

This game is so relaxing.

I should become a trucker. It's nice just cruising around listening to some random European music stations I can't understand.

Ty4on

That's how most trucks in real life do it. Our big dump truck at work is a 10 speed I believe and there's a switch on the side that you flip when you want to switch to high gears (6-10).

I have no idea where the powerband is (wish I did), but in a real truck the green is the band you should stay in when accelerating while the blue band is for the retarder. That is for fuel economy though so I don't know if you'll go any faster by being in the higher rev range. If you put it in auto it won't respond to throttle input properly and always gears up at around 1500. Max HP is around 2000 in a real truck.

Are you shifting up and down one gear at a time? Don't, change two or three unless you're barely accelerating/decelerating.

Cth

Ok now I've got my wife hooked on the game :)

Her question to me, which I doubt, was:

Is there a way to see the name of the artist/song on the streaming stations?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Her question to me, which I doubt, was:

Is there a way to see the name of the artist/song on the streaming stations?
Nope. Just gotta remember some lyrics and scribble them down for a google search later.

I have played way too much of this since yesterday. I have played this more than any other game I bought during the Steam sale easily. That one-more-load effect.

brentech

I have played way too much of this since yesterday. I have played this more than any other game I bought during the Steam sale easily. That one-more-load effect.

Yeah, doing the same here. I now have 2 drivers working for me as well. Right now I profit about 2.5 grand from each of their loads. They both have about 5 or 6 skill points.

And I haven't even brought my wheel upstairs yet, just using a 360 PC pad...have driven over 11,000km, lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You should worry if your sleep & piss stops in the game start being your sleep & piss stops IRL... OR that means you should become a trucker IRL.

dejay

Banned

I've basically found that there are only a handful of exit/entrance types plus 90 degree turns in cites. I just get to the gear I have found works best in those situations for the truck I'm driving, which at the moment is still my base level Volvo.

Most city turns, if I'm rolling, I take in 5th. Most ramps I take in 7th, but some are a bit tighter so I take those in 6th. Fast ramps I'll take in 8th. Bogging down on hills is probably unavoidable - I'm hoping once I get into something with more horsepower I'll be able to power through them.

Thanks to the people that helped me get the custom radio streaming working :) Its great to have such a wide range of radio stations to listen to as I'm driving.

Saroyan

Last night I updgraded the engine in my base model MAN tgx to the 440hp unit. What a difference leaving stops and climbing hills, much easier to maintain speed now.

I also bought a second garage and hired 2 drivers and bought 2 more trucks for them, doesn't seem like they are making a lot of money for me so far, but they are improving a little bit.

brentech

Last night I updgraded the engine in my base model MAN tgx to the 440hp unit. What a difference leaving stops and climbing hills, much easier to maintain speed now.

I also bought a second garage and hired 2 drivers and bought 2 more trucks for them, doesn't seem like they are making a lot of money for me so far, but they are improving a little bit.

Takes a little bit of time for them to increase their earnings. Give them at least 2 points in distance and then choose a category other than the gas saver for more.

At the start of the game I selected Renault as my choice, but actually decided on MAN when it was my time to buy a truck. I have a 3 truck MAN fleet, with my own being the 440hp as well.
I need 2 more levels before I can buy the other vehicles they offer.

Milamber

I have just took out a huge loan, bought and expanded my garage in ETS2, hired 2 hot female drivers, bought 3 hot entry level Volvo's and sent them on their merry money making way!

Awwww yeaaaaah! Mah bitches be makin' me some honey! But WTF, I can't have hot pink painted cabs. Time to look for some paint mods.

We really should get a GAF group up. A lot of us has bought this game during the sale.

brentech

I have just took out a huge loan, bought and expanded my garage in ETS2, hired 2 hot female drivers, bought 3 hot entry level Volvo's and sent them on their merry money making way!

Awwww yeaaaaah! Mah bitches be makin' me some honey! But WTF, I can't have hot pink painted cabs. Time to look for some paint mods.

We really should get a GAF group up. A lot of us has bought this game during the sale.
Once you own the truck, go to upgrades and in the paint options you can choose a color palette to make it whatever color you want. (The basic color options only show up when actually purchasing it)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to start playing this. The demo was really enjoyable, even though I played it just to cruise through the highway under a thunderstorm.

Should I pay attention to the management elements, and build my own company and everything? Or would I be better just driving around?

Milamber

I can't wait to start playing this. The demo was really enjoyable, even though I played it just to cruise through the highway under a thunderstorm.

Should I pay attention to the management elements, and build my own company and everything? Or would I be better just driving around?
Management elements won't come into play until you have enough money to choose to buy a garage, trucks and employees and taking a loan from a bank. You can drive around indefinitely, just taking jobs with no company behind you.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Management elements won't come into play until you have enough money to choose to buy a garage, trucks and employees and taking a loan from a bank. You can drive around indefinitely, just taking jobs with no company behind you.
But are they worth bothering with? I never played any management game, so this would be my first if I choose to mess with that stuff. The problem is that I don't know if I want to.

Sye d'Burns

Great, now I want this game. :p

It's on sale for $9.95 at Indie Gala right now if you missed it during the Steam Sale:
http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/euro-truck-simulator-2.html

This is definitely my surprise hit of the sale, runs in Linux too!

It's your lucky day!

Damn you. Why did I click on this thread. I missed it during the steam sale but I spent over $100. I don't need any more games!!!

You need this game. It's your backlog that could do without it!
I bought this game on July 19th and I've put in a total of thirty hours thus far.

Milamber

But are they worth bothering with? I never played any management game, so this would be my first if I choose to mess with that stuff. The problem is that I don't know if I want to.
Only if you want a passive income to invest in more businesses, trucks, and all truck parts as soon as possible. I kept 2 layers of saves. One with no company and one with my fledgling startup company.

Sye d'Burns

How is this site? Never heard of it before. Paypal defaults to Italian language... :p

It's legitimate. I've bought from indie gala in the past. There have been issues with keys in the past (not with me personally) but they've always been resolved in fairly short order.

SHarris78

God damn i seriously hope this game gets Oculus Rift support, when the 2nd release comes out with 1080p im soo getting it. By that time hopefully ETS2 will has support for it

I should have my devkit rift in the next 6-8weeks, hope its playable in some form by then.

Top Bottom