• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Orayn

Why are people talking about a mobile gpu?

Well, consoles have limitations. Cooling problems and failure rates go up with power consumption, and those are the absolute last problems you want in a console. That said, a 7970M GPU is quite literally a desktop HD7870 GPU that runs at lower clock speeds and uses less power. It's just a bigger number and sounds better.

FrankT

Well, consoles have limitations. Cooling problems and failure rates go up with power consumption, and those are the absolute last problems you want in a console. That said, a 7970M GPU is quite literally a desktop HD7870 GPU that runs at lower clock speeds and uses less power. It's just a bigger number and sounds better.

Basically this.

King_Moc

Banned
I haven't read all 13 pages of this thread, so where does this sit in modern desktop terms?

Upper middle, in terms of a gaming setup, i'd say. You couldn't call it beastly, but it'd play most games on decent settings at 1080p. On a console, in the closed environment and developers actually trying, you might get the performance closer to current high end PC, but i'm not sure exactly what gains you can make.

Ashes

Banned

Here's me thinking lherre knows that already.

PhatSaqs

Banned
LMAO at peeps downing MS for seeming to make a machine that can do more than just games. If the machine can do games + more, why is that a bad thing? lol.

Kill the "pure gaming machine" noise. That ship clearly sailed out this gen and is never coming back.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sony's need for revenue makes me think it will be $499 and there will be a premium online service similar to Live that can be subscribed to for $50-60 per year. The new controller will be $100 (if you want a second one).

As for the Durango RAM, wouldn't it be cool if you could play X360 games on a controller with a screen while someone plays a Durango game at the same time on a TV?

LMAO at peeps downing MS for seeming to make a machine that can do more than just games. If the machine can do games + more, why is that a bad thing? lol.

Kill the "pure gaming machine" noise. That ship clearly sailed out this gen and is never coming back.

they don't need 3gb for that

Derrick01

Banned
Just taking even the low hanging fruit here, having games designed around vastly more, notably-to-vastly faster RAM is a gigantic improvement for gameplay even if we ignore any visual upgrade.

Yeah Sony's big studios will pull off some amazing things with that. Look at what they did with PS3's really weird 256mb RAM setup.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

and fits the 1.84tf number that came from developers at CES.

if that number is correct, then it doesn't really matter what designation the chip has.

King_Moc

Banned

You don;t need 3GB of RAM for that plus name me a household that can't do all the multimedia stuff as it is? People are far more likely to go with a Smart TV or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
and fits the 1.84tf number that came from developers at CES.

This number has existed for quite a while longer than that, which helps add some weight to it given console lead times.

To me, the main remaining question is what is the performance of the separate compute block.

Right in line with them. The 7970m is the same config as the 7850/7870 desktop. Maybe they pare out a few things to reduce power usage? Not sure. But the core specs are the same. The spec on the compute units etc. is right in line with what was rumoured before ('1.84Tflop' etc.)
I'm having a problem with some of the statements, why under clock an already under clocked Mobile GPU. The point with Mobile is they under clock and have fewer CUs to reduce battery draw, Consoles don't have batteries. Is heat an issue with a 80 watt GPU....shouldn't be, if it were, use a cheaper Mobile GPU with fewer CUs. Mobile GPU in the PS4 should be overclocked past it's likely clock speed in a notebook. Mobile only because it's designed to be the second GPU and the assumption is the APU has the video and Southbridge.

I've guessed something else will be using the two free Xbar slots that only two Jaguar packages leaves free but if he has information that sounds like more compute units based on CPUs, they'd better be more efficient than Jaguars as you can run Jaguars in turbo mode up to the thermal limits. Monolithic silicon remember which means Jaguar is going to be close enough to other CPU packages that one impacts the TDP of the other.

GDDR5, I really hope not and monolithic silicon talk is not what I expected for the PS3 but I guess that goes along with no transposer, no stacked RAM.

Really doubt this article is accurate.

Nibel

ibteYMn4Z6kMRy.gif

Man, I like what I read, but this post was so fucking cringeworthy, ugh

Don't know if those consoles are two "monster machines", but very good specs! Seems like a step up from the current generation machines and I hope that developers will make the best out of it. I want better AI and physics for example

There is going to be a lot of people arguing which is the better specification, but one thing is clear.

They both absolutely smoke the Wii U.

I'm pretty glad that things are okay in your world; I mean almost everybody here thought the opposite, right? Quite the achievement to top the Wii U

sp3000

I really wonder how MS is going to use 3GB.

I mean my current copy of Windows 7 uses about 1.5 GB and that's with all the extra bloatware

rdrr gnr

Depends on what you mean by "minor." There will be some diminishing returns in the sense that the most dramatic differences will be in the areas of framerate, resolution, and overall IQ. In terms of graphical bells and whistles, the improvements over DX9 and DX9-equivalent visuals on PS3/360 won't be nearly as large since there's no revolutionary change in hardware like programmable shaders.
Disagree. Performance will never be emphasized. We haven't hit that graphical plateau. Games will look significantly better but run just as poorly. We might not get sub-hd resolutions but we definitely will see frame drops. AA is getting more varied but jaggies aren't going anywhere.

lherre

Accurate
I mean, they only suggest a model to made their assumptions, but it's not a fact I think. I'm not sure if i'm explaining myself correctly. I'm not saying that it is incorrect at all but throw a model is a great assumtion when the gpu have custom parts inside it. I would have said the gpu family like other rumours (R10XX from AMD) instead a model.

2San

If this is all true, I think Sony has built quite a nice machine. Well in line with the reasonable expectations. Still sorta sad that Intel isn't in the console business, they could create miracles. I'm not really not a fan of MS and Nintendo's of using lots a slow ram paired with eDRAM. I don't know that much about tech, but as it stands it seems to me that the Orbis will be the easiest to develop for.

3GB for OS sounds ridiculous though, I really doubt that's true. I have no idea what could possible be that resource intensive.

The only thing I can't figure out is why does Durango need 3GB for the OS? I fully understand that when the user is at the dashboard apps and etc. will need the full 8GB to expand and run properly. But, when I am playing Halo 5 I don't need to have Netflix and Internet Explorer running in the background. I only need party voice chat, messages, friends list, and the ability to stream music to be happy. Also, if the rumors are true that the next Kinect will have its own dedicated processor in the hardware then that should mean less drag on the Durango hardware itself. If the Wii U has 1GB of RAM dedicated to the OS and Orbis has 512MB to 1GB I just can't figure out where the other 2GB are coming from.

There are three scenarios I can possible think of:
1. This limit is set early on so that Microsoft has room to breathe for future developments. That leaked PDF from last year might be real and that special VR/AR stuff is a RAM hog or something.
2. Microsoft really likes multitasking. Durango can run the full OS at all times regardless if a console game is even being played. Possible marketing speak: "In less than two seconds the user can switch from playing a game to looking at the Netflix library."
3. This could be something of a soft limit. Meaning, that if you are developing some super powerful game without any Kinect (or whatever) support then you can ask Microsoft for access to an additional 1+GB of RAM. Ex. Call of Duty 12 needs the extra 1GB of RAM to allow for an additional 100 NPC enemies to attack you on the screen. But, the average XBLA developer doesn't exactly need that when developing the next puzzle game.
4. This limit is in place now but could be altered later in the console's life cycle. Microsoft could be playing it safe by mandating that 3GB will dedicated to the OS in 2013 but in 2016 when developers are constantly complaining of restrictions, and the OS ends up never takes up more than 2GB, then Microsoft might push out a major update allocating an additional 1GB for development. After all, it is always possible to give out an additional GB of RAM but not taking an additional GB of RAM back.

It also needs 2 cores. That means only 6 cores are available for games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
StevieP and a few others said it wouldn't be mobile, I'm guessing you believe the same? If so, even better.

Well what's the difference?

Isn't the chip in question using GCN CUs also etc. etc.? It's stats look the same as something like the 7850 or 7870, albeit with lower clocks etc. and the power draw is a lot lower. Do they pull out double precision stuff or..?

I think DF just wanted a card to compare to and that would be the closest GCN card in terms of configuration and clockspeed, I guess, assuming they're the same as the desktops.

edit - per lherre's last post, if the point is that the chip in orbis will be a customised thing to a certain degree etc. Sure. But I think Eurogamer was just offering the 7970M up as a broadstrokes point of comparison.

PhatSaqs

Banned
You don;t need 3GB of RAM for that plus name me a household that can't do all the multimedia stuff as it is? People are far more likely to go with a Smart TV or something.
Even if it's true, you or anybody else knows what they "need" it for. I'd say wait until things are confirmed before throwing darts but that makes too much sense.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
StevieP and a few others said it wouldn't be mobile, I'm guessing you believe the same? If so, even better.

Well DF doesn't say it will be a mobile GPU.

the Radeon 7970M - could be a strong basis for a next-gen console graphics core in terms of power consumption and die-size. Running at 850MHz and featuring 20 of AMD's "Graphics Core Next" compute units, our information suggests that Orbis shaves off 10 per cent of that number, offering up 18 CUs in total, and sees a mild downclock to 800MHz.

They seem to know the clock speed and number of CUs and everyone knows it is based on GCN. So they use the 7970M as a basis since it seems to fit the specs. Of course AMD is making an APU for Sony, not a dedicated GPU.

I really wonder how MS is going to use 3GB.

I mean my current copy of Windows 7 uses about 1.5 GB and that's with all the extra bloatware

I would think the 3GB number is memory reserved for the OS and apps, not the OS alone. There can be Skype, Bing, Kinect, etc. all running in that reserved 3GB.

FrankT

They are only modest in the fact that by year end they will not be close to mid level. My year old PC already best these stats. That really is the measure. However, they will be more than enough to provide that jump most are looking for with 1080p and at least with PS4 with all we know likely targeted 60fps.

It also needs 2 cores. That means only 6 cores are available for games.

We don't actually know that nor the 3gbs. Until we get some facts that is rumor.

Spongebob

Banned
I mean, they only suggest a model to made their assumptions, but it's not a fact I think. I'm not sure if i'm explaining correctly. I'm not saying that is incorrect at all but throw a model is a great assumtion when the gpu have custom parts inside it.

Are the GPUs so custom that they are completely uncomparible to desktop parts?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I mean, they only suggest a model to made their assumptions, but it's not a fact I think. I'm not sure if i'm explaining correctly. I'm not saying that is incorrect at all but throw a model is a great assumtion when the gpu have custom parts inside it.

but you wouldn't debate the flop count?

flop it out.

SiskoKid

I'm so excited for the next generation MS and Sony systems. I can barely contain myself. But I'm worried they'll release at the same time.

I feel like that'd easily be $450 per system, then $50x2 for an extra controller for each, then $60x4 for a handful of games, $50x2 for XBL and PS+ (I renew during the end of the year), that's almost $1500 after tax is added. Nevermind the games that will release for the Wii U, 3DS and Vita systems around Xmas.

This is going to be an expensive year especially if a retina display iPad mini comes out.

Blarffles, this hobby be expensive, yo!

Azure J

Compared to the PS3/360, they really do smoke them.

It's been so long since those consoles have been out that I have to wonder what anyone would have to put inside their successors (especially with MS/Sony pushing for current/1 year newer tech) to not make them a pretty fuckin' big leap. 8 years is like a century for graphics tech.

Even better is the idea that taking anything from the now versus making something botique = better understanding from the jump = modest pricing as it's current = lower barrier of entry financially. Sony's really doing this right so far.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Playing x360 games streamed from a Durango on a tablet with a wireless x360 controller while someone plays a Durango on TV could be one reason for the RAM needs of the OS.

7900 GT: Pretty much the GPU of PS3 and high end GPU of its time

Geforce 680GTX: Modern high end GPU

There is your answer why we don't get high end GPUs anymore in consoles.

It also has more to do with the wattage consumption of modern GPUs:

You simply can't apply what happened in the previous generation with the current one.

USC-fan

Banned
Why are people talking about a mobile gpu?

I dont think they are just comparing the make up to that gpu. CU and clock speed.

Since mobile gpus are binned the power usage is going tto be higher but if you cut 2 cu and clock speed it could be around the same.

/\/\yeah

sp3000

Yeah, the GPU is good, but it's no beast. Far behind high end PC hardware. Not in the same league as a GTX 680 or something.

It's certainly not like the Xbox 360 GPU which blew away everything on PC for a year until the X1900 series was released

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Playing x360 games streamed from a Durango on a tablet with a wireless x360 controller while someone plays a Durango on TV could be one reason for the RAM needs of the OS.

Your post got me thinking, perhaps instead, of '720 lite' games streamed to a tablet.

Remember that rumour of a 720 lite set-top box, with lighter games etc.?

However, going against that was the rumour that there'd be a dedicated tablet that could run that stuff itself. Although maybe they want to let you stream that to other 'normal' tablets too?

But I don't know. Seems expensive on resources, it would take a bit of the GPU away too etc.

Orayn

I wonder if Iherre is implying a custom GPU that matches the estimate FLOPS, but has a mix of contemporary and skunkworks tech, like Xenos mixing design elements from the X800 and HD2000 series.

RedSwirl

So roughly equal to a midrange 2012 PC.

That's good. It means neither of these machines will break the bank, and the 4k support will be relegated entirely to movies.

Or games with intentionally less intense graphics like say indie games or even HD ports of really old games. If they got Okami to render at 4K on the PS3 I guess it'd be possible.

kinggroin

Banned

You're expecting a bit.....much. You're talking about running (emulating?) a 360 title while playing a full on "next-gen" Durango game?

I say some of you need to keep expectations a bit more grounded in reality.

I'm crazy excited too!

Boss Man

3.5GB of GDDR5 seems a lot better than 5GB of DDR3 for games.

But I think Microsoft is actually doing the smart thing here. The next Xbox is going to have a very "next-gen" interface and capabilities outside of games. I think they're definitely making the right move, whether it's what I want or not. Sony better be doing some clever work on the OS side, or their box (not the games, mind you) is going to look out of date.

Top Bottom