• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

DieH@rd

Banned
jmmvTNrEFMURe.jpg

:)

JohnsonUT

How much ram does a DVR require when recording shows? I am wondering if MS will make an attempt at being a cable/satelite box replacement or something assuming 3 GB is correct. That is basically a full OS for someone else to be using while the game is being played.

Look, what I'm saying is, if you put these specs into a desktop PC, with Windows 7 and all the other crap, you'd very much get a different gaming experience than we can get on these consoles.

Ah, but what if you put these specs into a Steambox with Linux and no other crap? The plot thickens!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if Iherre is implying a custom GPU that matches the estimate FLOPS, but has a mix of contemporary and skunkworks tech

I think he's just saying it's not literally the same chip.

Sony may have tweaked some things. I mean, they even tweaked some things in the 'very off the shelf' RSX. But it won't be major stuff I don't think.

lherre

Accurate
Forget my comment about the gpu, I misunderstand as I said some points.

7970M is the assumtion and not a fact, I thought they make this as a fact.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I'm guessing both come in at $399 (base models, at least) *but* there's a strong possibility IMO that we see $449 on one or the other because if MS includes Kinect in there and all that other multimedia stuff, then that will probably push the cost of this thing up and they probably feel they can justify that $50 bump.

PS4 may have that extra costly controller with theirs which will bump up the cost plus the fact that they are less likely than ever to take a bath on the system in the first year.

I think PS4 regains it's #1 crown next-gen. I think MS will stumble and miss the target with the direction they take.

It's been so long since those consoles have been out that I have to wonder what anyone would have to put inside their successors (especially with MS/Sony pushing for current/1 year newer tech) to not make them a pretty fuckin' big leap. 8 years is like a century for graphics tech.

Even better is the idea that taking anything from the now versus making something botique = better understanding from the jump = modest pricing as it's current = lower barrier of entry financially. Sony's really doing this right so far.

Granted, but just put things in perspective. You might not agree with me, but games like Halo 4 and Forza 4 blew me away when I saw them, relative to the 360's hardware spec.

Likewise on the PS3, well, I don't even have to mention...Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, The Last of Us, etc. These games absolutely stun me when I see them.

Orbis and Durango absolutely destroy these spec wise. We will see absolutely amazing things next gen.

2San

3.5GB of GDDR5 seems a lot better than 5GB of DDR3 for games.

But I think Microsoft is actually doing the smart thing here. The next Xbox is going to have a very "next-gen" interface and capabilities outside of games. I think they're making the right move here, whether it's what I want or not.
On the flip side the Sony console now seems easier to develop for(if they have similar GPU's).

sp3000

I'm a bit disappointed at the CPU though. 1.6 8 core processor will make things difficult to program since threading with that many cores is not easy.

Pretty sure my 4 core i7-2600k is already faster.

Mikey Jr.

They have the right idea. They should be spending as little ram as possible on the OS.

Then people bitch that it doesn't have/doesn't do yada yada.

Then Sony will try to force the fucking thing to do it, but won't have enough ram to do it.

Then in typical fashion, Sony will be fucked, and we will have to wait till next next gen to get it.

I love Sony, but they are copiers, through and through. They rarely innovate and just steal. The problem is that they don't plan on this stealing, and find out that later that they don't have the machine to steal, but fuck it, they are going to try anyways.

Sony, fuck the ddr5. Put 8gbs. Copy MS. And just steal whatever the fuck they are doing.

Elios83

The most interesting stuff is about the CPU.
Basically it seems like the Steamroller boat has sailed and they're using the same Jaguar setup that MS is using coupled with some kind of GPGPU-like module (which could indeed turn out to be a really low power second GPU integrated in the CPU). Also it's nice to hear that they're not letting their OS and non-gaming ambitions go past games.
I assume 399$ and 499$ SKUs at launch.

PaulLFC

Or games with intentionally less intense graphics like say indie games or even HD ports of really old games. If they got Okami to render at 4K on the PS3 I guess it'd be possible.
Didn't they show some GT5 footage at 4K running on 4 PS3s? I don't think 4K on next gen consoles is out of the question, although obviously it'd depend on a game by game basis.

rdrr gnr

Can't help but think there is something missing from this GDDR5 spec.

And I just don't see 3GB for the OS in Durango. Even if it is app centric.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How much ram does a DVR require when recording shows?

That on its own wouldn't cover it, unless they're letting you record from many streams simultaneously...alongside a bunch of other things that might be running. That case on its own wouldn't be particularly RAM heavy. I think PS3 can do that with PlayTV, letting you record one program in the background, and it has to fit inside PS3's OS RAM.

Spongebob

Banned
Granted, but just put things in perspective. You might not agree with me, but games like Halo 4 and Forza 4 blew me away when I saw them, relative to the 360's hardware spec.

Likewise on the PS3, well, I don't even have to mention...Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, The Last of Us, etc. These games absolutely stun me when I see them.

Orbis and Durango absolutely destroy these spec wise. We will see absolutely amazing things next gen.

Maybe later on in the generation we'll see amazing things, but I think at launch many will be dissapointed with the visual fidelity of launch titles.

2San

I'm a bit disappointed at the CPU though. 1.6 8 core processor will make things difficult to program since threading with that many cores is not easy.

Yeah, but Intel used black magic when they created the sandy bridge chipset.

Rumors have Durango reserving CPU 1-2 cores for the OS. Is it assumed Orbis will do the same? What limits on multitasking would there be if Sony didn't?

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone tell me in laymans terms how much more powerful the Orbis will be than PS3/360 and the WiiU?

Significantly. We dont know exactly how much, but every HW part of PS4 is much faster than its PS3 counterpart.

We will find out more about both consoles when they are revealed between GDC and E3.

JaggedSac

Ah, but what if you put these specs into a Steambox with Linux and no other crap? The plot thickens!

Then you would have something that costs more at the start(assuming MS and Sony subsidize some of the costs) and would not have either MS or Sony exclusives, but you would have the Linux Steam library. Depends on the games you want to play.

sp3000

On the flip side the Sony console now seems easier to develop for(if they have similar GPU's).

Yeah, at least initially Sony platform will probably be easier to develop for.

What will happen a few years from now is not clear. MS many reduce memory consumption of the OS in certain games once developers start demanding more memory, which they always do.

In which case, that 4GB of RAM will start to hurt Sony.

Well Sony would get my money over MS, simply by being closest to my philosophy when it comes to consoles...all I want are the games and a fucking controller.

MS can fuck off with all this 'lifestyle' nonsense and 'capturing the living room' bullshit, they lost me with Kinect TBH.

Orayn

Long story short: Latency is a bigger problem than throughput, so lots of lower-clocked cores can be a good thing. Apart from that, consoles are working with a 150W TDP envelope, which isn't much. A many-core mobile CPU may very well have given better performance in the number of watts allotted to it.

Also, Carmack says you need about twice as much "power" to get the same performance and visuals on a PC due to consoles being optimized for a fixed spec, so you'll need it. ;)

I'm having a problem with some of the statements, why under clock an already under clocked Mobile GPU. The point with Mobile is they under clock and have fewer CUs to reduce battery draw, Consoles don't have batteries. Is heat an issue with a 80 watt GPU....shouldn't be, if it were, use a cheaper Mobile GPU with fewer CUs. Mobile GPU in the PS4 should be overclocked past it's likely clock speed in a notebook. Mobile only because it's designed to be the second GPU and the assumption is the APU has the video and Southbridge.

I've guessed something else will be using the two free Xbar slots that only two Jaguar packages leaves free but if he has information that sounds like more compute units based on CPUs, they'd better be more efficient than Jaguars as you can run Jaguars in turbo mode up to the thermal limits. Monolithic silicon remember which means Jaguar is going to be close enough to other CPU packages that one impacts the TDP of the other.

GDDR5, I really hope not and monolithic silicon talk is not what I expected for the PS3 but I guess that goes along with no transposer, no stacked RAM.

Really doubt this article is accurate.

Orbis
- CPU: 8-core Jaguar @ 1.6GHz
- GPU: ~ Radeon 7970M in power, 18 compute units @ 800MHz (Apparently GPU isn't mobile)
- Memory: 4GB GDDR5 @ 192GB/s bandwidth (maybe 3D or TSV DDR4 in final. Offers similar bandwidth, same high costs, lower heat, price drops eventually)
- Extra: 2x 1PPU and 4SPU for Media, DSP functions, BC?

Thoughts?

BTW do You think that both PS and nextbox being so close with tech they are using just a coincidence or an agreement to separate Nintendo from the twins again ?

rdrr gnr

Then Sony will try to force the fucking thing to do it, but won't have enough ram to do it.

Then in typical fashion, Sony will be fucked, and we will have to wait till next next gen to get it.

I love Sony, but they are copiers, through and through. They rarely innovate and just steal. The problem is that they don't plan on this stealing, and find out that later that they don't have the machine to steal, but fuck it, they are going to try anyways.

Sony, fuck the ddr5. Put 8gbs. Copy MS. And just steal whatever the fuck they are doing.
Yeah. It's shortsighted. It's good if all you do is game but I want multitasking. 512MB is good at the start but what about 5 years for now? What if a Durango feature really blows up and Sony can't compete.
Maybe it's because you're fusing two consoles together.
There is a period in there. I was commenting on both platforms.

Edit: There I added a space.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah, the GPU is good, but it's no beast. Far behind high end PC hardware. Not in the same league as a GTX 680 or something.

No one is ever going to use expensive and hot chips to make a console. Yes a GTX 680 and a i7 are both faster, but what is you point? The 680 cost $500 alone! Sony and MS want to make closed systems that are under 200W, small, and cost $400 total.

emag

How much ram does a DVR require when recording shows? I am wondering if MS will make an attempt at being a cable/satelite box replacement or something assuming 3 GB is correct. That is basically a full OS for someone else to be using while the game is being played.

Well under 1GB. Early TiVOs had 16 MB of memory (today's top-end models have 512 MB). Even a non-optimized solution such as MythTV runs fine with multiple streams at 512 MB.

HoodWinked

I think the reason why its 3GB for os on the 720 is because it needs to be a fixed size. So this means that even if the os were actually only using 1gb the 3gb buffer allows them 2GB for additional apps to run in the background. the 3GB is a ceiling.

You cant tell game developers go ahead and use 7GB then have the os use 1GB 90% of the time then in some situations the os can use up to 3gb. running out of memory is real bad.

Rumors have Durango reserving CPU 1-2 cores for the OS. Is it assumed Orbis will do the same? What limits on multitasking would there be if Sony didn't?

I'd also like to know this. some posts are suggesting they only have 4 cores to durango's 8.

someone needs to break and spill the beans. waiting is fast becoming impossible.

sp3000

No one is ever going to use expensive and hot chips to make a console. Yes a GTX 680 and a i7 are both faster, but what is you point? The 680 cost $500 alone! Sony and MS want to make closed systems that are under 200W, small, and cost $400 total.

Well looking at the Xbox 360 and PS3, both used hot, expensive, powerful chips when they were released.

Generally the trend is the consoles use lower clocked versions of the high end PC parts. The Xbox 360 used something that was even faster the high end PC parts.

And before someone brings up RROD, that was much more a result of terrible manufacturing practices than any actual hardware flaw.

WalkMan

Banned

Sony always innovate, they just don't commit to their innovations to see them succeed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Realistically it's a 5-6X improvement.

Better than that I think. Not as better as Proelite suggested earlier. Somewhere in the middle I think. Sony was apparently telling devs '10x RSX+PPE' in real performance and that sounds about right to me. The paper spec isn't 10x on those fronts but throwing in 6 years of architectural improvements and efficiencies etc. etc.

Though it's difficult to sum something like that up in one number. Some things will benefit better than that, some not much like that at all.

2San

compared to the ps3,especially at launch?

easier is an understatement
Compared to the Durango, but yeah compared to the PS3 it's easy mode. :p
Yeah, at least initially Sony platform will probably be easier to develop for.

What will happen a few years from now is not clear. MS many reduce memory consumption of the OS in certain games once developers start demanding more memory, which they always do.

In which case, that 4GB of RAM will start to hurt Sony.
I think that really depends on how good that eDRAM tech really is. 3,5 GDDR5 for a console targeting 1080p sounds great though.

Let me justify why I think it's a monster machine.

All the PS3/360 games ported over to PC are practically ports of games released on old hardware. We see great results of those ports. Just imagine what kinda games we'll get on PC and consoles with the hardware we're rumored to witness.

I'm personally very excited and optimistic and hyped about the direction of next-gen. It's going to be spectacular.

Yes pc gamers get great results off these ports, the console users are stuck with the mess though because these games are hopelessly overreaching on that old hardware.
720p or less and averaging 25-30 fps with lots of drops (and the horrible LOD transitions and the walled of level design to occlude as much stuff as possible at all times and the stomach churning fovs) are just downright unacceptable.

We needed a big jump just to get rid of those (imo) unacceptable compromises, then a bunch more power if we'd maybe possibly hopefully like some AA again.
As mainly a pc gamer (my ps3 is mostly relegated to DLNA streaming box duty) I hope for a serious leap in graphics (especially for larger maps with more going on, death to corridor movie wanabes!) , but that means people who only play on consoles will be stuck with low framerates and poor image quality again.

Someone is going to lose no matter what happens, it's been 8 years you can't blame me for expecting better by now.

This is the first console gen that gets a big MEH from me, though as I said I am hugely relieved at the 4GB GDDR5 figure, the bandwidth should be plenty for 1080p too.
I just expected something better than a crippled 65W laptop part.
I already admitted that it's a good and efficient gpu for laptops. Consoles don't run on batteries though.

Maybe later on in the generation we'll see amazing things, but I think at launch many will be dissapointed with the visual fidelity of launch titles.

Possible.

I foresee Watch Dogs and SW 1313 level visuals at launch personally. I am more than happy with that jump.

Top Bottom