• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Xbox 720 = 2013 Release, Devs Have Target Specs For Both PS4/720

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
An early release will have a tradeoff of dat red ring again. E3 2012 will be entertaining.

Raide

DennisK4 said:
So Nintendo are going to be stuck with a less powerful machine one year into next-gen.

Yikes!

Depending on what their launch lineup looks like, things could get messy. E3 had Nintendo showing off 3rd Party games and saying "We can do them too" If MS/Sony really up the specs, will 3rd Parties really want to port down again?

Dr Eggman said:
An early release will have a tradeoff of dat red ring again. E3 2012 will be entertaining.

MS would be utterly mental to make the same mistake again. :D

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lagspike_exe said:
I think Sony is going to launch in 2013 as well. There's no way they will let Nintendo have 2 year advantage.

Late 2013 or early 2014, but the Wii U must have definitely disrupted their plans. The sudden rise in R&D spending was a huge clue. They denied it but that was expected.

a1m

Banned
I'm in no hurry whatsoever. My backlog is building up too fast every month and the PS4 will probably be the only next gen machine I will get at launch so keep your horses Sony etc.

DennisK4 said:
I wonder what gimmick they will go with to counter Nintendos WiiU controller...?

Maybe they will just copy it straight out the gate rather than wait years like they did with Kinect and Move.
Maybe Windows tablets will be compatible with the 720.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This meshes with Yves Guillemot saying a few days ago that Wii U is causing Microsoft and Sony to accelerate their schedule for next gen.
Likely completely true.

miksar

The question is, will they differentiate them enough from the predecessors? If MS/Sony goes with a conservative update (better hardware, better built-in software and services, Kinect/Move out of the box), it will be the longest transition ever. Games will still be released for PS360 in 2015-2016 and for a lot of people there will be no reason to upgrade.

Gravijah

a1m said:
I'm in no hurry whatsoever. My backlog is building up too fast every month and the PS4 will probably be the only next gen machine I will get at launch so keep your horses Sony etc.

Getting a PS4 before they remove BC again, huh? :'(

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Raide said:
MS would be utterly mental to make the same mistake again. :D
I don't trust MS in their current state so I highly don't doubt it. A significant hardware error will arise and once again cause an uproar.

eso76

As expected.
Excellent.

Btw

I'd rather wait until they can bring out hardware that can do Samaritan affordably than bring out something super high-priced and the market adopts it slowly as they wait for a price drop.

debateable. It's not like Samaritan is the pinnacle of what you might ever want to achieve with graphics (i for one found it rather unimpressive considering the hardware it was running on but anyway) and by the time a system with similar specs will be considered affordable, Samaritan will have been surpassed by a huge margin.

Besides, i'd rather consoles launched at a (reasonably) high price; the wow factor will last longer, the console's life cycle itself will last longer and in any case, the money you spend for a console is a once in 5 (7) years thing.
All the games you buy for that system (and on which you're going to spend a lot more money comparatively) will have to be powered by that hardware, i wouldn't save money on the initial investment, plus you can always wait for the price to drop.

szaromir said:
Funny also a Crytek guy said Avatar-like visuals are possible on today's [high-end] DX11 hardware.

They said as much before.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-crysis-2?page=3

"I'm a strong believer that we should already be at Avatar quality in real-time, but the mass market (not everyone has the highest end cards or CPUs for example) is significantly delaying this next step," observes Tiago Sousa.

edit He is "R&D principal graphics engineer Tiago Sousa"

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nirolak said:
They were one of the leading sites with Vita leaks all the way back to 2009 for example, which we later found out is actually when the system really started development.

I think VG247 started the whole thing with that leaked devkit picture, but they're a part of the Eurogamer network, so fair enough.

Dennis

Banned
miksar said:
The question is, will they differentiate them enough from the predecessors? If MS/Sony goes with a conservative update (better hardware, better built-in software and services, Kinect/Move out of the box), it will be the longest transition ever. Games will still be released for PS360 in 2015-2016 and for a lot of people there will be no reason to upgrade.
If the graphics for these new machines aren't HUGELY much better than PS360 I think the response from most non-hardcore will massive yawning.

And I really do mean HUGELY....not just something that is obviously better looking to the hardcore but also noticeably better to the mainstream.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Meisadragon said:
I think VG247 started the whole thing with that leaked devkit picture, but they're a part of the Eurogamer network, so fair enough.
It was a bit before then.

They were posting about it way back when the PSP 3000 was still a rumor.

Kotaku was actually doing a good job of reporting on it around that time as well, but it went dead silent for about a year or so after that.

antonz

DennisK4 said:
If the graphics for these new machines aren't HUGELY much better than PS360 I think the response from most non-hardcore will massive yawning.
I just wonder how much we can reasonably expect. Cryengine 3 and UE3 are likely going to be the main power behind next gen games and sure we will get better resolutions and textures etc but I think it is going to take more to differentiate.

Cryengine 3 and UE3 will of course continue to be updated but the general tech behind those engines are not going to get a massive change that suddenly ages games made in 2012 to look like 1985 games.

wwm0nkey

Nuclear Muffin said:
A rushed reveal/launch sounds bad (gets flashbacks to the 360's rushed launch and the RROD)
RROD will not be back we all know Microsoft will not be stupid enough to let that slip by again.

Gravijah

Nuclear Muffin said:
A rushed reveal/launch sounds bad (gets flashbacks to the 360's rushed launch and the RROD)

We're still a year and a half at minimum away. Surely that is enough time for it not to be rushed.

Indyana

antonz said:
I suspect we will see Microsoft at least introduce a controller into the mix with a Kinect 2.0 thats is basically the original Kinect 1.0 before they gutted it to save money.

The Wii U Controller certainly poses an interesting problem for Sony and Microsoft.
I believe Sony will make their Upad with the cheapest combo of memory and CPU to surf the web and communicate with other devices. So their Upad could become the center of our digital lives.

DennisK4 said:

Eh, it's all relative.

If it's a minimal upgrade, people will turn away from it, until the games release.

Face it, the huge power light shows Before launch are to appease the hardcore forumite. The guy who buys COD yearly or wants the next Madden will follow the games just like they always have.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
RROD will not be back we all know Microsoft will not be stupid enough to let that slip by again.

Just like Epic knew if they launched Gears 3 with Gears 2 MP, it would be DOA. MS knows if they have tech issues at launch, they are as good as dead.

szaromir

Banned
antonz said:
I suspect we will see Microsoft at least introduce a controller into the mix with a Kinect 2.0 thats is basically the original Kinect 1.0 before they gutted it to save money.
If they managed to offload Kinect processing to 360 hardware, they're even more likely to do so with next Xbox. 60Hz and improved image processing algorithms is all you can hope for.

All this "Avatar quality" stuff - do they know just how big Avatar's budget was? It wasn't the live action that cost the money.

McHuj

Nuclear Muffin said:

That's not a rushed launch or reveal. They're still probably around 2 years away from a launch. (Hopefully, they launch early 2013 not late).

Building the hardware solid reliable hardware that's derivative of existing tech is not impossible in 18-24 months. The software is a different issue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
I just wonder how much we can reasonably expect. Cryengine 3 and UE3 are likely going to be the main power behind next gen games and sure we will get better resolutions and textures etc but I think it is going to take more to differentiate.

Cryengine 3 and UE3 will of course continue to be updated but the general tech behind those engines are not going to get a massive change that suddenly ages games made in 2012 to look like 1985 games.
It depends on what they do with the rest of the game.

The wow factor that launched Assassin's Creed, a new IP, to over 9 million copies on the first game wasn't having the best graphics around, but rather using the technology available to enable new experiences.

I wonder how that works btw, moving up the schedule for the xbox by a whole year.

Are the dials on the steam gauges in the factories all going to be pointing into the red zone oh my god?:p
Unless they were sitting on it already and have dated hardware planned, or are scrapping everything for a last minute rushjob (hi new rrod! you know how things work here, just do your thing and I'll come to check up on you later okay? if you need anything I'll be in my office).

Dennis

Banned
antonz said:

I think that the graphics have gotten to the point where mainstream consumers need to see a gigantic increase in visuals for graphics by themselves to be much of a selling point.

But delivering that would require $599 machines.....there is the dilemma for MS and Sony.

They could go $299-$399 but is the mainstream interested?

Gravijah said:
We're still a year and a half at minimum away. Surely that is enough time for it not to be rushed.

Well if the rumour was true, they originally planned its development with a 2.5 year lead time (assuming a November 2013 release). To suddenly cut off a whole year has got to lead to some problems (especially considering that a good amount of that lead time has to allow for the actual manufacturing of the console).

So now we're left with 1.5 years (of which about 5 months or so has to be dedicated to the manufacturing process). Either they've been sitting on near final hardware designs for a long time, or they're scrambling to get the design finished.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some design oversights if this is indeed the case (especially given their track record with the 360)

eso76 said:
Besides, i'd rather consoles launched at a (reasonably) high price; the wow factor will last longer, the console's life cycle itself will last longer and in any case, the money you spend for a console is a once in 5 (7) years thing.
All the games you buy for that system (and on which you're going to spend a lot more money comparatively) will have to be powered by that hardware, i wouldn't save money on the initial investment, plus you can always wait for the price to drop.
Sounds exactly like the PS3 and considering how that worked out I'd say the chances are slim to none that a mistake like that is made again.

Majine

Banned
I'm gonna bet that Sony will have a controller with a screen sometime during the next-gen, atleast as an alternative.

Xater

DennisK4 said:
So Nintendo are going to be stuck with a less powerful machine one year into next-gen.

Yikes!

Depending on the releases of these consoles maybe not even a year. And who saw it coming?

<----This guy

To me this is super exciting. I really hope this means early 2013 for the next Xbox.

gaming_noob

I've become more of a casual gamer over the years - been playing Black Ops almost exclusively on PS3 since it released - and news of new hardware really don't excite me that much anymore. I'm hoping the next consoles will present some original game ideas.

Dennis

Banned
Monty Mole said:
All this "Avatar quality" stuff - do they know just how big Avatar's budget was? It wasn't the live action that cost the money.
Its all so ridiculous. Avatar wasn't realtime and now they want graphics like that running at 30 fps on a $399 box?

For fucks sake.

Avatar was rendered on about 400000 cores or something.

McHuj

DeaconKnowledge said:
Face it, the huge power light shows Before launch are to appease the hardcore forumite. The guy who buys COD yearly or wants the next Madden will follow the games just like they always have.

Absolutely, but you have to get the hardcore to buy it first and build the install base. That's how MS put themselves in the current place in the market. They targeted the hardcore first and then expanded to the casual markets.

If they continue that next gen, we'll get a pretty powerful system in the $399 price range for the hardcore and continued support of kinect/360 for 2-3 more years in the casual market.

Majine said:
I'm gonna bet that Sony will have a controller with a screen sometime during the next-gen, atleast as an alternative.

Either that, or they'll push the connectivity between the Vita and the PS3/PS4 as an alternative.

DieH@rd

Banned
Whatever hardware ends up in x720/ps4, it would be massive upgrade over current gen. A lot of time went since the release of Radeon1900/Gforce7600.

Sign me up.

antonz

DennisK4 said:
Its all so ridiculous. Avatar wasn't realtime and now they want graphics like that running at 30 fps on a $399 box?

For fucks sake.

Avatar was rendered on about 400000 cores or something.
Oh Crytek without a doubt has its heads in the clouds. They are the same guys who said they want Next Gen consoles to have 8GB of ram.

Xater

Corky said:
Every reasonable person out there?

I don't think there were a lot of reasonable people in the other next gen threads then. ;)

A lot of people were like "Oh no! MS and Sony will not release earlier because Nintendo is bringing out a new console."

Yeah right...

McHuj said:
Absolutely, but you have to get the hardcore to buy it first and build the install base. That's how MS put themselves in the current place in the market. They targeted the hardcore first and then expanded to the casual markets.

If they continue that next gen, we'll get a pretty powerful system in the $399 price range for the hardcore and continued support of kinect/360 for 2-3 more years in the casual market.

The hardcore will buy it. They're not called 'the hardcore' for nothing.

Top Bottom