• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Xbox 720 = 2013 Release, Devs Have Target Specs For Both PS4/720

szaromir

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I think that the graphics have gotten to the point where mainstream consumers need to see a gigantic increase in visuals for graphics by themselves to be much of a selling point.

But delivering that would require $599 machines.....there is the dilemma for MS and Sony.

They could go $299-$399 but is the mainstream interested?
I think technologically hardware has matured enough to allow that huge jump. I mean, a friend who played AC Brohood on PS3 and isn't a hc gamer saw the game running on my PC and said 'wow'. The impression was done not by changing any assets, but simply rendering at higher resolution, sharper shadows, antialiasing etc. A game built around GF580 would be enough to wow Call of Duty players, we just need AMD/nVidia to achieve that kind of performance at 100W.

big_z

DennisK4 said:
So Nintendo are going to be stuck with a less powerful machine one year into next-gen.

Yikes!

some of the ign guys are pretty sure that the next xbox will launch late next year. since microsoft tends to show stuff the same year a project launches i wouldnt be surprised.

nintendo is going to be lucky to even get a year of decent 3rd party support before the shelves turn into shitware again. imo they're fucked with both handheld and console this time around, they just didnt put the effort in.

szaromir

Banned
big_z said:
some of the ign guys are pretty sure that the next xbox will launch late next year. since microsoft tends to show stuff the same year a project launches i wouldnt be surprised.
Halo 4 is a 360 game launching at the end of 2012. Nuff said.

big_z said:

nintendo is going to be lucky to even get a year of decent 3rd party support before the shelves turn into shitware again. imo they're fucked with both handheld and console this time around, they just didnt put the effort in.

but... but... they make money with the hardware!

Raide

szaromir said:
Halo 4 is a 360 game launching at the end of 2012. Nuff said.

Well, that is certainly one way to hell a new console to the hardcore. New Halo trilogy on a new Xbox.

big_z said:

Like kinect right?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Paertan said:
PC games adapting to 8 year old hardware. PC only players are going to be pissed by the end of the generation.

It's alright, as much I agree with it being annoying that the pc platform is held back I must say that there's plenty of software to make up for it and then some.

McHuj said:
Absolutely, but you have to get the hardcore to buy it first and build the install base. That's how MS put themselves in the current place in the market. They targeted the hardcore first and then expanded to the casual markets.

If they continue that next gen, we'll get a pretty powerful system in the $399 price range for the hardcore and continued support of kinect/360 for 2-3 more years in the casual market.
The 360's install base was built on Gears, Halo, COD, Guitar Hero and having the definitive version of Madden for the first few years.

That's the demo they were after from the beginning and that's the demo they targeted from the beginning.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
SneakyStephan said:
I wonder how that works btw, moving up the schedule for the xbox by a whole year.

Are the dials on the steam gauges in the factories all going to be pointing into the red zone oh my god?:p
Unless they were sitting on it already and have dated hardware planned, or are scrapping everything for a last minute rushjob (hi new rrod! you know how things work here, just do your thing and I'll come to check up on you later okay? if you need anything I'll be in my office).
It's likely launching in 2.5 years from now. They have plenty of time to get things out on time. It's not like Xbox 360 launching 2 years after it was first conceptualised and cutting the generation short.
Monty Mole said:
All this "Avatar quality" stuff - do they know just how big Avatar's budget was? It wasn't the live action that cost the money.
Fox paid $240,000,000. The total budget was somewhere between $400-500,000,000.
Talk about rising development cost.
gaming_noob said:
I've become more of a casual gamer over the years - been playing Black Ops almost exclusively on PS3 since it released - and news of new hardware really don't excite me that much anymore. I'm hoping the next consoles will present some original game ideas.
Why should developers bother if people are only going to play 'AAA' FPS sequels?
Majine said:
I'm gonna bet that Sony will have a controller with a screen sometime during the next-gen, atleast as an alternative.
If it's a peripheral, they might as well not bother. Like Wii Motion Plus, the first Dual Shock and Move, few games will support it. If it's going to count, it needs to be the standard controller.
It's a move that it makes a lot of sense for Sony and Microsoft to copy. Tablet-style controls are now an incredibly important part of the gaming landscape, and possibly very important to expanding the userbase for these consoles.
Meisadragon said:
Late 2013 or early 2014, but the Wii U must have definitely disrupted their plans. The sudden rise in R&D spending was a huge clue. They denied it but that was expected.
It was flat out stated that the R&D was going into their next, undated 'home platform', but they later backpedalled with some spin about how that statement was about Vita, even though it obviously wasn't.
Averon said:
I fully expect Sony to put a touch pad on the DS4's underside.
Yes please. After seeing this on the Vita, it seems like a natural evolution of the standard gamepad, and it opens up a lot of game design ideas.

miksar

szaromir said:
I think technologically hardware has matured enough to allow that huge jump. I mean, a friend who played AC Brohood on PS3 and isn't a hc gamer saw the game running on my PC and said 'wow'. The impression was done not by changing any assets, but simply rendering at higher resolution, sharper shadows, antialiasing etc. A game built around GF580 would be enough to wow Call of Duty players, we just need AMD/nVidia to achieve that kind of performance at 100W.
He said 'wow', okay, but will he pay $300-400 just to say it once again in two years? Most mass market games like EA Sports titles and Call of Duty will likely be 360/PS3/U/720/PS4 for 3-4 years. I don't see Activision abandoning the current gen before they can sell as much on 720/PS4 as they do now on 360/PS3. Everyone else will probably do the same except for the most ambitious developers and paid exclusives developers.

zlatko

Banned
If they rush out a console again ahead of what their actual plan was they can fuck off. I saw how that turned out with the glory of RROD, and I'm not getting shafted in that regard again. I'll have no problem buying a Wii U at launch if it has a solid launch library, and the same goes for a PS4, but there's no way in hell I'll jump into a 360 launch buy no matter what the titles are.

They should slow cook this beast, get a stellar launch library of games, and test the shit out of the 720 to not have RROD issues, or at the least give the damn thing a 3 year warranty bundled in for everyone, and if another RROD issue shows up, guarantee buyers a LIFETIME warranty for that specific issue.

I know it's nice to want nice things. :/

DaSorcerer7 said:
"In terms of something aimed at running Samaritan, I don't think it would be practical to come out with a new console at that spec right now," Rein continues, "I think we're a few years away from that kind of hardware being available at a price consumers would embrace.

I found this part to be most interesting.
Wasn't this this running on 3 GTX 580s? Epic said they could optimize it for one, but that's still a $400 video card at the moment.

knitoe

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I hope they concentrate more on reliability when it comes to designing hardware this time around.
That's a given after the RROD and $1 billion fiasco. Microsoft tried to shortcut the X360 testing and it cost them dearly. I can bet you a $1 billion they won't be doing that again with the X720.

If it's a peripheral, they might as well not bother. Like Wii Motion Plus, the first Dual Shock and Move, few games will support it. If it's going to count, it needs to be the standard controller.
It's a move that it makes a lot of sense for Sony and Microsoft to copy. Tablet-style controls are now an incredibly important part of the gaming landscape, and possibly very important to expanding the userbase for these consoles.

yeah?

szaromir

Banned
miksar said:
He said 'wow', okay, but will he pay $300-400 just to say it once again in two years? Most mass market games like EA Sports titles and Call of Duty will likely be 360/PS3/U/720/PS4 for 3-4 years. I don't see Activision abandoning the current gen before they can sell as much on 720/PS4 as they do now on 360/PS3. Everyone else will probably do the same except for the most ambitious developers and paid exclusives developers.
Yes he will, to enjoy the wow factor and to enjoy new games.
And yes the publishers will switch to next-gen quickly as they always to because the biggest franchises are established in the beginning of the generation, Activision could continue to milk COD on PS360, meanwhile a new next-gen king would cut COD's future legs.

Man

Performance will be good on both of these machines so the interface is what interests me the most.

I bet Sony will go with a LCD controller while X720 will have Kinect included.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
PdotMichael said:
Yeah.
Just not the hardcore PC/console landscape. The genie has been let out of the bottle now with iOs and Android gaming and it isn't going to go away.

M.D

knitoe said:
That's a given after the RROD and $1 billion fiasco. Microsoft tried to shortcut the X360 testing and it cost them dearly. I can bet you a $1 billion they won't be doing that again with the X720.

The RROD fiasco was on an whole other level but in all honesty when you buy a PS3 or a 360 you need to know at some point they are going to die

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just glad that development budgets will be similar as they are this current generation, or if not perhaps cheaper thanks to the technology that has helped improved areas with time consumption. At least Japan doesn't have to worry much when it comes :lol:

RaijinFY

szaromir said:

Expect a lot of re-releases in the first year of the next-gen machines (digital download and retail).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Man said:
Performance will be good on both of these machines so the interface is what interests me the most.

I bet Sony will go with a LCD controller while X720 will have Kinect included.
I'd really like to see an improved version of WiiMote+/Move with symmetrical controllers with an analog, two triggers and four buttons/D-pad, but the companies could also decide they'd rather integrate more elements of handheld devices. Controllers are an interesting crossroad.

Krev said:
Yeah.
Just not the hardcore PC/console landscape. The genie has been let out of the bottle now with iOs and Android gaming and it isn't going to go away.

So PC/Console is hardcore and iPad is casual? Sorry, the definitions just change so fast. I'm glad the 50+million Farmville players and 150+ million console owners are hardcore, it means we'll start getting more hardcore games ... whatever that is.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm starting to itch for some new hardware now tbh, I normally get my fix from the PC side but PC hardware feels like it's evolving in slow motion atm.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
flyinpiranha said:
So PC/Console is hardcore and iPad is casual? Sorry, the definitions just change so fast. I'm glad the 50+million Farmville players and 150+ million console owners are hardcore, it means we'll start getting more hardcore games ... whatever that is.
I didn't say that iPad was exclusively casual. I said that tablet controls don't factor into the hardcore PC/console landscape, but that doesn't mean they're not important to gaming.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
lowrider007 said:
I'm starting to itch for some new hardware now tbh, I normally get my fix from the PC side but PC hardware feels like it's evolving in slow motion atm.

Actually moores law is still in effect, and with the dawn of "3d" transistors it's going to keep a steady pace. So in other words pc hardware is actually evolving at a regular pace. And as a personal preference I do enjoy the generations being farther apart compared to flooding the market with new gpus and cpus once every two months, even still the boost in performance in the end will be equal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Krev said:
I'd really like to see an improved version of WiiMote+/Move with symmetrical controllers with an analog, two triggers and four buttons/D-pad, but the companies could also decide they'd rather integrate more elements of handheld devices. Controllers are an interesting crossroad.

Yeah and also scary in a way from a developer perspective. If each console comes with its own, unique control system how are multiplatform devs gonna deal with supporting all of them?

Perhaps they will all offer the same basic traditional controller functionalities and build exclusive features on top of those.

Vinci

Danish
flyinpiranha said:

Exactly.

Though I await the illustrious era at which iOS games are hardcore as well! Then we can all be happy and proud.

Gravijah

TTP said:
Yeah and also scary in a way from a developer perspective. If each console comes with its own, unique control system how are multiplatform devs gonna deal with supporting all of them?

Perhaps they will all offer the same basic traditional controller functionalities and build exclusive features on top of those.

Wii-U at least has a basic controller in there. I'd hate to see the X3 lose the great 360 controller.

"In terms of something aimed at running Samaritan, I don't think it would be practical to come out with a new console at that spec right now," Rein continues, "I think we're a few years away from that kind of hardware being available at a price consumers would embrace.

Anti Wii-U GAF crushed.

szaromir

Banned
Gravijah said:
Wii-U at least has a basic controller in there. I'd hate to see the X3 lose the great 360 controller.
I'd like to see regular COD players switch to WiiU's cumbersome controller.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
TTP said:
Very true.
If this is what happens, I don't expect the unique features of the controllers to get much use at all outside of first party/exclusive titles.
Vinci said:
Exactly.

Though I await the illustrious era at which iOS games are hardcore as well! Then we can all be happy and proud.
Once more, I didn't say that iOS was not 'hardcore' (whatever that means).
AceBandage said:
Anti Wii-U GAF crushed.
Hardly. Just because Sony and Microsoft's next won't be putting out Samaritan graphics doesn't mean that they won't smoke the Wii U.
szaromir said:
I'd like to see regular COD players switch to WiiU's cumbersome controller.
Word is it's very comfortable and easy to use.

Man

LCD controller with stylus pen. A diode on the Stylus pen makes it double up as a pointer device direct to TV camera. The gyors we will stuff... somewhere.

Hardly. Just because Sony and Microsoft's next won't be putting out Samaritan graphics doesn't mean that they won't smoke the Wii U.

Of course they'll be more powerful. But not enough that it'll make porting engines impossible.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm more interested in seeing the UI, features, etc. than the hardware power of these new consoles. I hope the 100 friends list cap is removed, so annoying.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
Of course they'll be more powerful. But not enough that it'll make porting engines impossible.
It's just a question of how significant the downgrade will be.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DaSorcerer7 said:

BELIEVE

I expect many Avatar-esque bullshots.

Top Bottom