• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Why I'm tired of Fallout 4 encumbrance

Kenstar

Encumbrance isn't a realism thing. It's a risk/reward. Same as reloading a gun in a shooter. Sure you can get rid of reloading, or even the need for picking up ammo. But then you lose the element of risk, and the pay off isn't as rewarding. In the end leave it to the developer, or go play outside with your friend who seems to have these pressing concerns about item management in video games. C- article Eurogamer.

There is no risk in fast traveling, leaving your valuable stuff in the same spot indefinitely while you teleport home to stick pylons and vespene gas in your infinite storage, then coming back and picking up your fatman and power armor with 0 risk of it ever having being moved.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm sitting here thinking that encumberance hasn't been that bad for me in this game.

And of course I just realized that I only wear a fucking power armor because of encumberance. And the jetpack. Goddamn I wish I could get the jetpack seperately.

There is no risk in fast traveling, leaving your valuable stuff in the same spot indefinitely while you teleport home to stick pylons and vespene gas in your infinite storage, then coming back and picking up your fatman and power armor with 0 risk of it ever having being moved.

Exactly, there is no risk. It's just tedious for the sake of it.

Sande

Of course you can keep looting everything and going back every 10 minutes, but you're not supposed to. That's you making the game tedious for yourself, not the encumbrance system.

I'm going to side with the people who like encumbrance. I play Oblivion and Skyrim on PC and using console commands for infinite carry weight makes the game too easy. Almost like making yourself invincible. The game would be kinda boring without these kinds of restrictions placed on the player.

Usually I don't have too much of a problem in Fallout 4. I just make sure to dump all my loot back at my base between quests.

RedSwirl

I think carry limits are necessary, but developers need to rethink them. Better yet, developers need to rethink how they handle the distribution of crafting resources.

I think for big open-world games like Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3, having one overall weight limit might be too simple a system. Someone else in this thread suggested that maybe crafting junk by itself should have a hard carry limit above which the game just won't let you pick up anymore instead of encumbering you. In fact maybe that's what these games should do for your whole inventory. I don't think anybody actually plays the game while encumbered. Maybe each type of item should have a hard carry limit, like only a certain number of pistols/swords/rifles/health packs. For less open-world games like Deus Ex, Resident Evil 4, or STALKER, a visual grid-based inventory system is cool too. In those games you get a visual representation of the space your items take up that at least looks consistent (even if it's still unrealistic).

Possibly a more important aspect though is actually knowing what you need to carry and when. Maybe games just do a bad job of this. Maybe they need to better illustrate how abundant or rare certain items are. I was overencumbered for a lot of STALKER before I realized pistol ammo is so common I probably shouldn't pick up every pack of it I see.

One really interesting thing I hope developers improve on someday though is the actual distribution of crafting components. Basically, I want to see it have some kind of consistency. If I need to find a particular kind of herb or metal, I want the game to somehow indicate what locations are good sources of that component. In most games right now it seems to be kind of random, or nothing in the game itself will tell you. At least then venturing out on a mission to acquire certain components might make sense as a part of playing the game. Fallout 4 kinda does this by making certain medical items more common in hospitals for instance.

SlickVic

In The Witcher 3 I never felt the need to install a no weight mod. Even as I picked up stuff, it never felt like my inventory filled up fast enough to become annoying.

Fallout 4 is a completely different story for me. I can clear out my junk and weapons and it feels like a few quests/buildings later I'm back to being overencumbered. I would up getting a no weight mod fairly early on and definitely have been enjoying not having to deal with that aspect of the game anymore.

RedSwirl

In The Witcher 3 I never felt the need to install a no weight mod. Even as I picked up stuff, it never felt like my inventory filled up fast enough to become annoying.

Fallout 4 is a completely different story for me. I can clear out my junk and weapons and it feels like a few quests/buildings later I'm back to being overencumbered. I would up getting a no weight mod fairly early on and definitely have been enjoying not having to deal with that aspect of the game anymore.

That's because CDProjekt basically gave up and issued a patch that made all crafting materials weightless.

LiK

it's pretty awful in FO4. with the amount of shit you need for the various quests and settlements and other side stuff, they add up. trying to manage the inventory is a nightmare and is one of the most tedious things to deal with. not a fan of how they're organized in both the PiP-boy and Workshops.

Top Bottom