• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Why I'm tired of Fallout 4 encumbrance

Cleve

You don't need to pick up everything. Stop it.

That said the pip boy interface is crappy, particularly if you are trying to use a mouse.

Visceir

It's one of those "game doesn't respect my time" mechanics that will make the game feel more like work rather than fun.

First time I went over the weight limit I set it to 5000, second time I added another 5000 to it. Fuck you if you expect me to fast travel or go through the trouble of dropping all the items on a companion.

Lunar15

I feel witcher 3 solved this very well, especially after the stash.
most crafting mats weigh next to nothing, only armor and weapons really weigh a lot.

I disagree. Well, at least before the stash. I argue it's not that different and I modded encumbrance out of that game pretty quickly too.

-griffy-

Banned
I think an ideal solution might be to keep an encumbrance mechanic in the game, but allow you to break down junk items directly into their material parts, which are immediately deposited into a flagged workbench at one of your settlements. The in-fiction explanation is the items are just shipped back via robot courier or whatever. Maybe it takes a few hours of in-game time for them to actually show up in your workbench, but it immediately frees up space/weight in your inventory.

dity

That's not why I mod the carry weight, it's a choice based on my limited gaming time (three kids, job etc) to allow me to spend the time I do have doing stuff I enjoy, as opposed to tedious shite.

And I don't find going back to locations to be tedious, which was the point of my post.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There is a perk that lets you carry more and fast travel while encumbered. Build your character that way if you want to carry everything.

Sulik2

I've been turning off encumberance since I think Morrowind in Bethesda games. Its just an annoying pain in the rear. I killed it in the Witcher 2 as well. Just get a mod on the PC version and the games get so much better.

lazygecko

"You seem to spend more time in the menu than in the game"

THIS. A thousand times, this.

I spend at least 20% of my time in the menu tossing shit around.

The least they could do is have junk take up no weight when in your inventory. I mean, c'mon.

But how much of that is due to being compeled to use the menus, and how much of it is just due to Bethesda's typically shoddy and cumbersome way of designing UIs?

Their sorting mechanisms and naming conventions for items and spells in particular has always been a mess making it needlessly hard to find what you're looking for.

Owzers

I don't understand Fallout 4 right now, particularly settlements and the resources you need to build things, it seems like a giant hassle combined with weight limits.

You don't need to pick up everything. Stop it.

That said the pip boy interface is crappy, particularly if you are trying to use a mouse.

It works well with a controller, but it's complete shite with mouse.

Thankfully Fallout 4 on PC works directly with my Dualshock 4 without any extra software :D
It's one of those "game doesn't respect my time" mechanics that will make the game feel more like work rather than fun.

First time I went over the weight limit I set it to 5000, second time I added another 5000 to it. Fuck you if you expect me to fast travel or go through the trouble of dropping all the items on a companion.

Yep.

If a RPG is made to play how we want, then this small advantage that we are affording ourselves is not a big deal. I did the same in Witcher 2 and never looked back, and had so much more fun completing the game that way.

I'm sorry, I don't want to deal with this "one" realistic element in the game. Even though I can hotswap between 12 weapons.... that's so realistic I guess?

If that's too much for loser purists to deal with, too bad, I am having more fun with the game now! :D

And screw you guys, it's important to pick up everything in this game.... because I need the items to build my towns into awesome places! :D

Mcdohl

Nah, disagree.

Game would be kind of broken without inv limits imo.

Maybe on Easy / Very Easy difficulty they could remove this limit.

That would make more sense to me, and that would also keep both sides of this discussion happy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
:wonders if people's homes who dislike encumbrance looks like an episode of Hoarders.

1310bc183f6a5dd7fda575444b65d2cf.jpg

Haunted

It's the age old balancing game. Same with DMing in D&D. Do you make your players keep a tally of their inventory, including available slots and carry weight to increase "immersion" and "realism", or do you throw them a bag of holding at the start and let them focus on other aspects instead of bureaucratic housekeeping. Some groups will definitely prefer the former, others the latter. I think it's obvious that it's that flexibility that's a core strength of D&D and makes it fit so well for such a variety of players.

It's the same with Bethesda games, so I'm against them taking it out of the game completely. Though whether it should be enabled by default and disabled via console (and not vice versa) is another discussion.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If you think encumbrance is a fun and realistic mechanic why not go all the way and have ammo be weighted? Not like ammo is weightless irl.

There is a perk that lets you carry more and fast travel while encumbered. Build your character that way if you want to carry everything.

Why would anyone ever waste points on that stupid skill when you can just override the weight limit with a simple console command?

I'd rather put my points towards something fun, rather than a "skill" that just makes the game less frustrating to play.

Ken

Not really into encumbrance as an immersion thing when my dog can carry an army's worth of weapons, which also voids the need to really think about what to bring into trips. It's like the Resident Evil 4 attaché case problem.

All genres are merging into either a first person or third person open world veritable auto-game.

People don't want "games" with all of the pesky, immersion breaking winning and losing, plotlines, decisions and statistics.

People want virtual tourism, they want the holodeck, ie to dick around and do whatever they want at all times with no barriers limiting them from doing whatever they want in exotic locations.

Steel

Banned
If you think encumbrance is a fun and realistic mechanic why not go all the way and have ammo be weighted? Not like ammo is weightless irl.

Fallout New Vegas hardcore mode actually did just that. That being said, it also didn't make every piece of junk useful, so...

collige

Banned
Right, but like I said part of the problem early on is you don't have a good way of knowing what you will need or not need. Also for most of the common stuff like wood, steel, etc you're absolutely right, but it still takes a while to get there for a lot of materials. I'm about 60 hours in, and up until a few hours ago I picked up literally every single item in the game I came across, about 120 discovered locations in all. Every single one.
That seems more like a problem with how poorly the game's systems are explained than an inherent problem with how crafting is done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that how settlements and inventory are handled is perfect as there's many things that could be done to improve the experience, but removing the weight limit would absolutely break the game. After all, the entire village building aspect is pretty self-directed in terms of what you want to do outside of the requirements for quests and if that's something that's particularly valuable to you I don't see why that's not something that can be factored into to a character build in the same way that dialogue or VATS is. No one complains about the weight limit in Minecraft.

impirius

This could be alleviated without breaking the game by having some sort of process for breaking down items into lighter materials while in the field. Alternatively, junk items could be "tagged" for pickup by the Minutemen once an area is cleared instead of being picked up by the character. That way, they'd show up at the nearest workbench and eliminate a step.

It's the same with Bethesda games, so I'm against them taking it out of the game completely. Though whether it should be enabled by default and disabled via console (and not vice versa) is another discussion.

In that case, as some have already said, having the option in menu (or connected to difficulty settings/"hardcore mode") would be a good way to go. I would definitely be up for at least a play through where you need to drink water, eat, everything has weight, etc, etc.

daveo42

Banned
It wasn't so much a problem in previous games because the JUNK didn't matter, just drop. Now that EVERYTHING can be used for crafting and settlement building it is becoming a pain trying to figure out what to drop.

I wish I had a pack Brahmin following me around.

Yeah, this is the crux of the problem. Junk mattering means you fill up faster, limiting what you can and can't take with you. It's worse at the start of the game when you're just picking up everything because you're not sure what items break down into useful components and once you do, there's no way to sort the wheat from the chaff in the pipboy. Having a pack Brahmin would actually be fantastic.

As I said before, bring back the food, water and sleep meters too. I thought survival would do that, but nope, just legendary enemies.

This game is so realistic durrrrr...

You can instantly break down a car into 15 to 30 sets of Steel panels to build a house. In what universe it is realistic to be able to do that?

And people talking all purist like "inventory system so integral to the game experience."

Lmao gtfo out of here. My character is naturally a portable smelter, so I dun give a crap about inventory limits :D

Players who don't like one game mechanic have every right to play the game exactly how they want.

It doesn't ruin the experience for other players, and it makes the experience better for them....

So why people have a problem with this is beyond me!

Must be all the cameras in your bedrooms crowd... :p

Rathorial

Eh, I've learned over a few hours what is worth picking up, and that when I finish a mission just fast travel back, do stuff I needed to do anyway, and then leave all my junk at the power armor station.

If that bit of inventory management is a lot of "work" to your friend...than damn. I do think they should offer the option for no encumbrance, but it's not a big deal to me.

Haunted

But how much of that is due to being compeled to use the menus, and how much of it is just due to Bethesda's typically shoddy and cumbersome way of designing UIs?

Their sorting mechanisms and naming conventions for items and spells in particular has always been a mess making it needlessly hard to find what you're looking for.
Oh yeah, absolutely.

Modding weapons and armour changes their name automatically and makes it super hard to keep track of a whole bunch because it re-sorts without prompting and puts you into a completely different place in your inventory from where you started. It's pretty bad design.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Every game should have copied Torchlight 2's "send pet to town" feature. Just let me send off one of my many companions back to a workshop to deposit my junk while I keep adventuring.

Removing encumberance entirely is a heavy handed fix.

This could be alleviated without breaking the game by having some sort of process for breaking down items into lighter materials while in the field. Alternatively, junk items could be "tagged" for pickup by the Minutemen once an area is cleared instead of being picked up by the character. That way, they'd show up at the nearest workbench and eliminate a step.

I would also be up for this. But as I said earlier: there should also be an option to radio/throw a beacon for a caravan to pick up your stuff and take it back to the settlement.

Ideally the caravan would be affected by raiders, hazards, etc. You would have to either make sure they're well trained/armed or that they have enough numbers to survive attacks. It would add what I think would be an interesting strategy layer to solve this issue.

Also, trader caravans would take time to go pick up your stuff and bring it back, which means they would leave your settlement running with a smaller crew (or unprotected) so you also have to weigh that.

Exactly. If you want to play like a hoarder, build a hoarder. You'll sacrifice in other areas but that comes with the territory; Fallout is still - thankfully - an RPG.

Steel

Banned
Every game should have copied Torchlight 2's "send pet to town" feature. Just let me send off one of my many companions back to a workshop to deposit my junk while I keep adventuring.

Removing encumberance entirely is a heavy handed fix.

That's actually in the game more or less. Basically, you can give your companion stuff and dismiss them to one of your settlments. The way I work it, I generally fill up my companion first, send them back, and use lone wanderer's extra 100 carrying capacity.

And I still completely fill my inventory.

Chillz0r

Banned
Comparisons between Fallout 3-4 and Stalker are dumb, and so is the pseudo-elitism "you wouldnt last one second in that game, hehe!"

If fast traveling every building you clear to dump aluminum, duct tape and such in the workbench is immersive for someone, good. For others isnt. Lets not pretend its a "hardcore" mechanic that requires skill. *I* personally find tedious as fuck clearing a building and having to do loot-only runs. It doesnt add anything for me. It doesnt enrich my experience. You spend half of that time in loading screens.

So, please, do me a favor and let people play however they want without being subtly labeled as unskilled noobs that wouldnt be able to play the more "pro" games. Its insulting.

Top Bottom