• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe Loved Tokyo Jungle, But America Didn’t, Says Director.

shwimpy

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/02/europe-loved-tokyo-jungle-america-didnt-says-director/

Siliconera recently spoke with Yohei Kataoka, director of Tokyo Jungle and producer on Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day. During our conversation, I asked Kataoka how he felt about Tokyo Jungle’s reception outside Japan, and his answer was interesting, to say the least.

“Europe loved it, and we got a lot of great feedback from that audience, but [in] America… that simply wasn’t the case,” Kataoka replied. “We received a lot of negative feedback for the game.”

“It takes time to make an unfamiliar audience understand something like ukio-e, right? So it might take something like travelling around an abandoned Tokyo as a Pomeranian a little bit of time to sink in, too. At least, that’s how we saw it.”

America has shit taste in games confirmed.

I knew I forgot to do something on PSN every time I logged on>_>
S0267ym.gif

sn00zer

To be fair the game is insanely hard and really hard to unlock anything....very easy to get stuck on just the first level

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Tokyo Jungle II to star white man with a shaved head and a rifle.
But is a vegetarian so he gets on all fours and eats grass
Edit:
One of my favorite weird titles in a long time, just give me -one- more.

7threst

I thought it was great for what it was doing. I admit that there was a lot of exotic kind of thing going on for me personally in that game, where I was surprised about everything just because I am very used to western games. if that makes sense. I liked the game very much and hope we get a lot of more these kind of unique games.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I enjoyed it and thought the concept was really cool, but man the tutorial dragged on for-fucking-ever.

Da fuck? It was my favorite Sony studio game in a LONG time and it's probably going to stay that way for a while. Why can't the rest of America feel the same way :(

sakipon

To be fair the game is insanely hard and really hard to unlock anything....very easy to get stuck on just the first level

Reminds me of the days when devs added harder difficulties to European editions. Seems like not much has changed.

LQX

He really has no room to complain. The Japanese don't like ton of European and American made games no matter how good.

Interesting that there seems to be such a big difference between eu and us audiences. I thought they are very similar; western audience. Seems not.

Also, this is sad. Seeing that us is the single most important market for video games, it'd be a shame if creative game devs feel the need to cut back the weirdness of their games. I want different games. Not the same soot-bang-white-bald-one-dimensional-cookie-cutter-hero of so many games.

Why are americans like that.
(not everyone of course!)

Oh come on, the premise was special!

The game part of the product was outrageously okay, though.

I agree. Gameplay wasn't really that fun, but I like the idea of the game. It's kind of annoying how you unlock chapters in the story mode as well. Just let me play the damn thing straight through!

Top Bottom