• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe Loved Tokyo Jungle, But America Didn’t, Says Director.

BadHand

I just bought it in the 99c sale. I've managed to unlock the cat.

I liked it until about Year 30 when everywhere just turned into poisonous rain/poisonous mist and even finding cover or going inside buildings doesn't seem to stop it. I ate all my pet medicine and run through about 4 districts to try and escape. No food, no items. Just died. I don't really get the game but I'm probably missing something obvious here.

It also sucks that you can't reload a save up and you can't jump straight into story mode.

I'm an EU born living in NA btw, so I'm not sure i'm supposed to like it or not.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I just bought it in the 99c sale. I've managed to unlock the cat.

I liked it until about Year 30 when everywhere just turned into poisonous rain/poisonous mist and even finding cover or going inside buildings doesn't seem to stop it. I ate all my pet medicine and run through about 4 districts to try and escape. No food, no items. Just died. I don't really get the game but I'm probably missing something obvious here.

It also sucks that you can't reload a save up and you can't jump straight into story mode.

I'm an EU born living in NA btw, so I'm not sure i'm supposed to like it or not.

It's kind of a mix of an arcade style game and a roguelike, where the things that happen in the city are randomized and if you die completely, that's it. There's your score, start from the beginning. It makes for some decent replayability in the same vein as why Call of Duty's Zombies mode got so popular, but the game can really just screw you over in the later stages with radiation.

dracula_x

Wait a second, America got Tokyo Jungle Mobile, but we in Europe didn't, did we?
Why?
Actually it was released, in UK at least. I see this game on PlayStation Store.

rcC1Lrm.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not interested in a game about animals killing and eating each other. Now if the game had guns and cover mechanics I would have bought it.

Out of curiosity did Endless Ocean sell better in the US or UK? I would imagine the lack of sharks eating sea turtles would be a turn off for UK gamers.

Well, I picked this up in the big sale last week so I'll come back and post my American impressions once I've played it a bit. But be forewarned, a game just bringing something different/quirky/new to the table does not buy any points with me. The game must be fun to PLAY. I look forward to trying it out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well, I picked this up in the big sale last week so I'll come back and post my American impressions once I've played it a bit. But be forewarned, a game just bringing something different/quirky/new to the table does not buy any points with me. The game must be fun to PLAY. I look forward to trying it out.

It's basically a modern take on old arcade games. At least that's how I view it

Apenheul

It's one of my favorite games on PSN, but honestly it's a niche game if I've ever seen one with a premise like that.

jakomocha

Well that's an unfair
but probably mostly true
generalization. I'm an American who loved Tokyo Jungle. Speaking of it, I've really got to play it again sometime soon.
I stopped for a while because I was so frustrated at unlocking the cheetah as the hyena. So freaking difficult, and it is extremely annoying to lose 30 minutes + of data constantly due to death and then having to restart the whole cheetah challenge.

test_account

XP-39C²
Reads like complaining or at-least moaning to me.
He was asked how the reception of Tokyo Jungle was outside of Japan. What he said is just that it was well recieved in Europe, but not in USA. No moaning or complaining about that :) He also said this:

“It takes time to make an unfamiliar audience understand something like ukio-e, right? So it might take something like travelling around an abandoned Tokyo as a Pomeranian a little bit of time to sink in, too. At least, that’s how we saw it.”

flowsnake

Actually it was released, in UK at least. I see this game on PlayStation Store.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was hidden in an EU store fuckup or something. I couldn't find it at one point (even with search) but then eventually could. I could be wrong but there are so many mistakes like that that it seems too likely to not be the case. Wouldn't be surprised if a publisher takes legal action over it one day.

draetenth

I loved the game myself, but stopped when I couldn't beat one of the big cat types (I think it was cheetahs or something). I tried and tried, but I always got mobbed when trying to kill the boss you needed to so I could unlock the creature.

The tutorial/story mode was pretty bad/slow as well.

ALL us Canadians loved it. This is purely an American problem.

I'm here to break stereotypes. I am a Canadian who was hyped for it, but found it less than a pleasure to play. It was quirky and inventive and thoroughly un-fun. I feel guilty about my dislike, though, so that's pretty Canadian.

WarpathDC

I really enjoyed it
team americuh
. Although when you got really hungry it seemed like Tokyo turned into Mars with its absence of wildlife.

boingball

Nice confirmation for my prejudices on America. Americans only love Call of Duty, Halo and Madden (and Minecraft) and otherwise have no taste.

Obviously this is a wrong generalization, but there is a reason the 360 won in the US while it had no chance in Europe. The 360 is primarly a shooter console, whereas Sony (and Nintendo) have a more varied offering.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
Typical Americans not understanding great games. Unless it has guns or boobs they don't like it.

As a European I resent that remark... We have a proven history of loving boobs more than the Puritan bunch ensconced there!

Guns.. You can love them more... No problems with that! They are unfortunately a rich part of the US culture.

:) let's play to the stereotypes... However I think the more interesting fact is that the "educated gaming public" I.e. GAFfers of every nationality see this game for what it is. We are not typical of our country! Which is a shame.

Recall

I prefer quirky titles way more than third person shooters or other popular genres, I like that Tokyo Jungle exists.

This article doesn't even explain how this "feedback" was obtained.

I'm usually the first to complain about the codbro contingent that controls a significant percentage of the American console market.

Some of you just seem to relish any opportunity to shit on U.S. gamers for not worshiping every single goddamn niche japanese title. give it a rest.

Like the concept but the execution... having to grind the initial story/tutorial mode to get anywhere is a huge waste of time.

Anybody have actual sales numbers by region?

This article doesn't even explain how this "feedback" was obtained.

I'm usually the first to complain about the codbro contingent that controls a significant percentage of the American console market.

Some of you just seem to relish any opportunity to shit on U.S. gamers for not worshiping every single goddamn niche japanese title. give it a rest.

Like the concept but the execution... having to grind the initial story/tutorial mode to get anywhere is a huge waste of time.

Anybody have actual sales numbers by region?

Isn't this confirming what he said, if you're an American and giving the game negative feedback? :p That part of the game might be true, but maybe Europeans just loved it unconditionally. They should mention from where did they pick up feedback. Twitter/facebook/random messageboards?

NewGame

Banned
Bloody yanks! Thanks Obama.

In all seriousness couldn't the PAL sales of Tokyo Jungle float a sequel? And more importantly, the Japanese sales?

*raises flame shield*

It felt like a typical Japan Studio game to me. Neat concept with standard/ unfun game mechanics.

Like Gravity Rush and Puppeter

*runs*

Elixist

i like it. Murrica here. tutorial sux and i played thru it twice cause i dint kno wtf mode i was supposed to play. progression is confusing at best, but all is forgiven when theres a war goin down in the alleway with a Zebra, horse, terrier and a cheetah.

schnide

Neo Member
*raises flame shield*

It felt like a typical Japan Studio game to me. Neat concept with standard/ unfun game mechanics.

Like Gravity Rush and Puppeter

*runs*

Funny you should raise your shield - because it actually plays an abstract 2D version of Demon's Souls.. except with animals. It's hard, it's very idiosyncratic, but it's also a bloody good game. Lots of personality and a surprising amount of depth.

Personally, I think that the American audience would've loved it if only it was made a just *touch* more friendly to play - ie. not having that annoying wait once you've died and having to scroll through your deaths while it syncs with the server. Not having to agree to the EULA every time you start the game. Explaining just a touch more about how you unlock the stories. Making the challenges more accessible than having to press Start then access another menu.

But then.. how many other games let you roam around a post-apocalyptic city, that feels alive and with systems that actually work? How often do you play strategically thinking like the animal you're controlling? It's a bloody great game. In fact, I'm off for some Tokyo Jungle action right now :)

I put probably 8-10 hours into it, it just got to the point to where i couldn't really get any further and it started getting repetitive.

vvise

I started playing this game today and i LOVE it. Went on a tear with the Pomeranian while getting a feel for the game.

Looks like it will take a lot of time to unlock all the animals though.

Top Bottom