• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe Loved Tokyo Jungle, But America Didn’t, Says Director.

JazzmanZ

Interesting that there seems to be such a big difference between eu and us audiences. I thought they are very similar; western audience. Seems not.

Also, this is sad. Seeing that us is the single most important market for video games, it'd be a shame if creative game devs feel the need to cut back the weirdness of their games. I want different games. Not the same soot-bang-white-bald-one-dimensional-cookie-cutter-hero of so many games.

Why are americans like that.
(not everyone of course!)

you'd be surprised how different the opinions are for Europe and America, whereas we worship superheros, Europe worships Donald duck comics.

Because it doesn't have guns and bald soldiers!!!
....what? Half the people in front of me thought of the same insanely clever quip?

Anywho, I bought it during the last flash sale but haven't played it yet. I'll give it a whirl soon and see what this American thinks.

I liked TJ but it had some big ass problems. Specifically getting between zones took forevvvvver and unlocking the different animals was too much of a pain.

If there was a Tokyo Jungle 2 that addressed these problems I'd be totally down to get in
and I wouldn't even wait until it was 99 cents either

Psxphile

"I can't believe it. The game sold horribly in America."
"Well it ain't my fault. I'm a non-gaming slacker, thank you."
"Well it's not my fault either, 'cause I forgot to buy."
"Oh, crud. I knew there was something I was supposed to do last year."

Edit: oh wait it's not about sales? lol well, still slightly relevant I guess

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I knew I forgot to do something on PSN every time I logged on>_>
S0267ym.gif
I Don't Have Many Friends that like Tokyo Jungle. It's super duper niche but I'm pretty sure American liking games stereotypes apply here too =(. I found the game extraordinarily janky.

fvng

They should revise whatever survey they did after that recent $1 sale to see how many Americans love it

jblank83

Should have been a game about guns playing basketball and/or football with terrorists.

Would've selling trillions.

i loved the game, but it did have a few flaws. for me at least.

mostly that to experience everything the game had to offer, you needed to spend a not insignificant amount of time playing (and replaying) the game. if they had reduced the number of animals and increased the pace at which you unlocked new ones (and quests, areas, items, etc) i would have stayed with it a lot longer.

if you're going to make a game where i can put sweaters on Shiba Inus and stupid hats on deer, don't make me play for hours on end to do it.

Sgblues

"OMG! Those animals are eating each other! Someone!? Anyone! Stop this!"

Anyways I for one, loved Tokyo Jungle and hope we get a sequel with more animals(living or extinct or even mythological).

iosefe

i don't blame other americans, it's definitly an odd game. my niece, 6 years old, loves it, she loves just being the dog and attacking bunnies.

i should be concerned.

dracula_x

Loved this game. Tokyo Jungle is an amazing and very addictive, one of my favourite on PSN.

But I'm European, so this is not surprising :)

Bullshit. I thought it was one of the best games of the generation.

Edit: My only beef with the game is the way the world changes when you hit cavemen times. It's damn near impossible to survive as a carnivore unless you know the timings for the item pick ups.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It took me a bit to figure out how everything worked, but once I did I loved it. Great game, would love a follow-up.

I'm in that weird demographic where only 1 of the maybe 15 of us who play video games care for the big shooter franchises while the rest play weird shit like this

a friend of mine was over when tokyo jungle came out, we played it and she went out and bought a ps3 that next day because she loved it so much

Mesquite, TX is not the problem its the rest of the US

edit: we dont have a problem with awesome video games. we DO have a meth problem, though.

still... we like tokyo jungle here too

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I liked it, but it gets repetitive. There's a large number of animals, but most of them play the same or very, very much alike, the biggest differences being cosmetic.

And sometimes it just sucks to be screwed over by radiation.

Gryph

I ate so many animals.

It gave me some great E.V.O.: Search for Eden vibes...

I would be up for a sequel for sure. I wonder what turned people off so much in America...

Top Bottom