• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

dukeoflegs

Stupid Amazon. The truck my copy (and Yakuza) is being shipped on has mechanical issues and wont be here for a couple of days. (҂⌣̀_⌣́)

RodzTF

Oh maaaaaan where the hell are the reviews. I feel like this game is what ive wanted forever from Hot Shots, but I can't imagine it has a ton of courses.....something has to be missing.

Since a large part of the game is online-centric I'm presuming reviewers will want to sample populated servers before casting a verdict

There's 5 courses plus 2 DLC (more to come probably)

moozoom

How's the character creator initially? Can you edit your character (not just clothes, etc) down the road as you unlock things?

At first you have a limited amount of body shapes both male and female ones - but you have quite a few haircuts and clothes. All of the face features are there from the start, and you can completely edit your character at any time after creation (just not when you're playing a course)

The only thing to keep in mind is that changing the sex of your character will reset the defaults shapes, otherwise you can change the body, the proportions, haircuts and clothes etc... when you get new parts. You also gain new animations and voices while playing : sometimes when you beat NPC's or when copying another character (which requires in-game coins) this can breath new life in the characters, as some of these are quite funny.

sn00zer

Since a large part of the game is online-centric I'm presuming reviewers will want to sample populated servers before casting a verdict

How does that compare to past games? Seems low

neilyadig

At first you have a limited amount of body shapes both male and female ones - but you have quite a few haircuts and clothes. All of the face features are there from the start, and you can completely edit your character at any time after creation (just not when you're playing a course)

The only thing to keep in mind is that changing the sex of your character will reset the defaults shapes, otherwise you can change the body, the proportions, haircuts and clothes etc... when you get new parts. You also gain new animations and voices while playing : sometimes when you beat NPC's or when copying another character (which requires in-game coins) this can breath new life in the characters, as some of these are quite funny.

Nice! I like what I'm hearing. Thanks for the recap

kdoll08

Actually they have already announced 3 more courses in Japan as part of a season pass so we will have at least 10 total courses. They have not mentioned how that will be handled outside of Japan yet but I'm going on the assumption of $5 per course

Heel

Got my copy today.

60fps mode on PS4 Pro is a bit weird with judder on text bubbles.

I've never played a Hot Shots game before, but enjoyed the first tournament.

If you have any questions a beginner to the series could answer for you, feel free to ask.

EDIT: Clarified judder weirdness on text bubbles, not during play.

lindseybp

Got my copy today.

60fps mode on PS4 Pro is a bit weird with judder, especially on text bubbles. Not really distracting once you're on the course though.

I've never played a Hot Shots game before, but enjoyed the first tournament.

If you have any questions a beginner to the series could answer for you, feel free to ask.

So there's judder at 60fps during play?

Heel

So there's judder at 60fps during play?

You know, looking at it more, it just seems like it's the speech bubbles in the Home area that are juddering in 60fps mode, not the actual game world and courses. Seems perfectly fine on this front during play.

Really weird, and you'll understand when you see it. Seems like it would be something that could be fixed.

You can do 60fps mode with HDR turned on. Going to stick with that despite this little hiccup.

Heel

The icon judder in 60fps and the 30fps animations for the characters made me stick to 30. shame.

Just unlocked the 3rd course.

Glad I'm not alone on this, haha. I'll deal with the text bubbles in exchange for 60fps (my TV is not that great with motion handling on 30fps content in comparison, Samsung KS8000).

It is hard to not see, though. I can't see how they didn't notice. Hopefully they fix it.

Haven't noticed anything with the character animations, but haven't played much yet.

Glad I'm not alone on this, haha. I'll deal with the text bubbles in exchange for 60fps (my TV is not that great with motion handling on 30fps content in comparison, Samsung KS8000).

It is hard to not see, though. I can't see how they didn't notice. Hopefully they fix it.

Haven't noticed anything with the character animations, but haven't played much yet.

funny, i'm on the same TV. lol. (KS7000 here in the UK)

The judder in 60fps happens on the course too, such as "hole 1" icons etc. When running, you'll see the animation of the characters is 30 besides a few (i think putting is 60?). It's just weird, feels like the 60fps was added after cos they realised they could, but didnt bother adjusting the rest of the game for it.

If the icon judder is fixed i'll use it again. I'd say it shouldnt be much of an issue to fix.. maybe. Hpefully a patch is coming

Heel

Also curious how this day 1 patch business will work for pre-order bonus content. The physical version does not come with a code of any kind.

The store doesn't really seem to be fully up, so maybe there will be free stuff to "buy" for a limited amount of time.

funny, i'm on the same TV. lol. (KS7000 here in the UK)

The judder in 60fps happens on the course too, such as "hole 1" icons etc. When running, you'll see the animation of the characters is 30 besides a few (i think putting is 60?). It's just weird, feels like the 60fps was added after cos they realised they could, but didnt bother adjusting the rest of the game for it.

If the icon judder is fixed i'll use it again. I'd say it shouldnt be much of an issue to fix.. maybe. Hpefully a patch is coming

I'll stick to 60fps and try not to remember I read all of this lol

Also curious how this day 1 patch business will work for pre-order bonus content. The physical version does not come with a code of any kind.

The store doesn't really seem to be fully up, so maybe there will be free stuff to "buy" for a limited amount of time.
I'm wondering about this too, because my Amazon copy has shipped, but no code of any kind has been e-mailed me - which is usually par for the course with their preorder bonuses.

Edit: My wording was unclear. I mean it's par for the course to get an e-mail from Amazon with the preorder bonus code either right away or within 24 hours. But nothing yet.

Heel

I'm wondering about this too, because my Amazon copy has shipped, but no code of any kind has been e-mailed me - which is usually par for the course with their preorder bonuses.

Yep, got a copy from Best Buy and have one pre-ordered on Amazon for a friend. No codes yet for either. Maybe they'll come tomorrow, maybe there will be no codes at all? Guess we'll find out.

Heel

Edit: My wording was unclear. I mean it's par for the course to get an e-mail from Amazon with the preorder bonus code either right away or within 24 hours. But nothing yet.

I got a code for Jak and Daxter from Amazon for pre-ordering Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, but it only came literally at the stroke of midnight on release day. Maybe this will be similar?

Someone can chime in if they've received theirs already but I don't think anyone's gotten their codes yet from any retailer at least US wise. I received my game on Saturday from Best Buy but the pre order code still shows as processing and not shipped. It'll probably show up in your inbox later tonight or tomorrow since it doesn't officially release until tomorrow. I do know what you mean by the preorder codes usually showing up earlier than when you actually receive the game also as I'm more used to that myself.

Pre-load is scheduled to finish about 30 minutes before it unlocks!

I should have a few hours tonight to get started.

Really bummed about the swing options. I was surprised when the last HSG game blew it out and added even more. I was a normal shot for a long time but I went to advanced and it will be hard to go back.

bnx

I always get these preorder promotion codes on the day of delivery. Amazon did the same to my Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian and Digimon orders too. So check tomorrow.

First time I've ever had an Amazon game pre-order come a day early. I really don't like the overall art style, but this is pretty cool so far. The online features seem cool as hell (though obviously they're not very populated yet).

Get'sMad

God damn I need this shit like now but won't be able to pick it up for a week or 2.

Never owned a PSP or Vita so I didn't play those but played the hell out of 3, 4 and Out of Bounds....can't believe OoB was ten damn years ago.

Ostinatto

3 hours to go HYPE !!!!

t4Ma9R.gif

Game is great!
Only nitpick so far is getting a connection error on the fifth hole of the daily challenge every time which wipes out all my progress and gives no rewards.
I really like the leveling of clubs and sheer variety of outfits and accessories to unlock in different ways.
Seeing the other two people online running around the courses live as I played them was really cute too!

Denzel

I hope this game achieves commerial success so we can get more content. Anyways an hour and a half left. Idk if I can wait anymore.

Top Bottom