• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil Within (PC) patched to give options to remove letterboxing, allow 60 FPS.

Ateron

I am around two thousand percent certain that if PCs can't do it, then consoles sure can't.

It's a bit like saying "great, now they should put this lamborghini technology in my geo metro."

And not for a single second it crossed your mind that this game's problem is the engine, not the hw capabilities? There's nothing in here that ps4 couldn't pull off at a rock solid 30fps with no letterboxing, specially considering this is a cross gen game.

Same goes for PC, there's nothing in there that would bring a solid rig to its knees when trying to reach 60fps. Tango done goofed, but I cut them some slack; they're not a big studio, somehow I don't think the budget was astronomical and they didn't have the right tools for the job.

It's still a shoddy job but it's not entirely their fault. Maybe if they had left the engine alone we would have 60fps with no letterboxing on ps4, but that amazing dynamic lighting system wouldn't be present. It was a trade off, but could have been handled better.

(...)there's nothing in there that would bring a solid rig to its knees when trying to reach 60fps. Tango done goofed, but I cut them some slack(...)

This is one of my favorite emergent phrases on the internet, and yes, they did. I just hope their momentum in Japan keeps up, I think Bethesda will cut them slack even if it doesn't though. One thing I'm worried is that I was looking up old Evil Within stuff from when it was still called Project Zwei, and I was alarmed to see some site reporting that Mikami said it would be his last game. It may have been inaccurate, since I haven't heard that at all before, but if it was something he said, I hope he has changed his mind. This game deserves a follow up to master its potential.

When thinking of a sequel for this game, I do have to wonder whether they will go for something other than the current "megagore" style. It might be interesting to have the sequel be uncannily clean at times, not for combat, but environments filled with oozing organs might feel like treading the same ground if they do it again. I think it would be cool if it also focused less on the brain, and onto some other equally eery subject/thing.

mario_O

Just tried it and there's zero improvement in the framerate, they just added the console commands to the game's menu.. Wonder why the patch is 1.5GB

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I think this will be a good pick up once it gets a price cut, does this bring any performance improvements?

Just tried it and there's zero improvement in the framerate, they just added the console commands to the game's menu.. Wonder why the patch is 1.5GB

Short answer: idTech5. Long answer: I wouldn't be surprised if a lot behind the scenes changes to stability really did take up a lot of this extra data. That, and there was the note about localization fixes, maybe the Italian voice track needed a fixin'.

luca_29_bg

Full screen rendering or a stable frame rate. You can't have both with those visuals.

Ready at Dawn bit off more than they could chew and I suspect the PS4 final hardware was not as powerful as they thought. Rather than dumb down the graphics, they went with the black bars just like Mikami did.

Purely speculation of course but it makes sense to me. I'm actually surprised that Ubi hasn't done the same for AC unity. From the sounds of it, they're going to be ok with the frame rate being shit.

They already said that full 1080p is less demanding on bandwith that 1920x800 with 4x msaa and shader aa. They reiterate that is a artistic choice, and the evil within is totally crap tecnically speaking compared to the order. The order simply destroy the evil within beyond immagination...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is the letterbox removal legit or it's the zoomed in thing with the awful fov?

Naedtrax

Banned
Anyone else having a weird texture flicker? It mainly happens on their clothing and hair. Sigh

Can only get rid of it by going back to 30 fps. What bullshit, the came ran fine before with tweaks now it's just broken because you cannot use flawless widescreen anymore. THey should also fix the fact g-sync doesn't work.

flicker_zpsa39cdb2d.jpg

wut_zpsd4be60be.jpg

Lum1n3s

ibja3lXL2nJmCn.jpg

ibfXgCbmf5Zdln.jpg

Removing those black bars definitely made a significant difference and I'm loving it. I can't do 60 FPS though because once I do I start going in between 30-60fps.

Kevyt

So the game is still somewhat unoptimized right? Has anyone been able to achieve smooth 60 fps at 1080p without the letterboxing?

hiex_

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person who likes the aesthetic of the letterboxing. Maybe I have dirty garbage opinions.

-MD-

I feel like I'm the only person who likes the aesthetic of the letterboxing. Maybe I have dirty garbage opinions.

When I disabled the letterboxing I hated it for like 5 minutes until I got used to it. I liked the bars in my first playthrough, we'll see how this one goes.

Lum1n3s

Tbh I was enjoying it and made it all the way to chapter 6. Mind you I started from chapter 2 in that zone thingy through the glass when that patch first hit and at first I thought that the POV was zoomed in when I switched it off. So I ended up deciding to stick with the letterbox. It wasn't until chapter 6 that I decided to switch it around and it made a heck of a difference in terms of what I could see which is why I posted those images.

dsk1210

Is there still no exclusive fullscreen? I really don't want to purchase this untill I can use G-sync, that would at least help with the fluctuating framerate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This update break Flawless Widescreen for anyone else? Doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

Yes, that.

But the update stops it from functioning properly. Have you stopped steam from updating?

Edit:To the poster above, yup. It's why I ended up not getting any further in this game today. I was already on a pretty tough boss in Ch. 10, but not being able to change my FOV really prevented me from playing even half as good as before. I'm serious, it's a major hinderance, and one of the main reasons I got the game on PC and not PS4. The performance was one factor, but even it and the infamous black bars don't bother me as much as the FOV. It's the only thing I change now, I'm fine with the black bars. "It's not just about being able to see, it's about feeling normal." (lol)

Unlocking the fps makes my GPU skyrocket in temperature, even when it's vsync'd.

I hope this isnt a trend for these current gen games going forward where even expensive GPUs on the market isn't powerful enough.

Sometimes, I hate being a PC gamer. :(

knerl

Performance seesm to be a universal issue. A PC with a 980 can't hit a stable 60fps framerate, and the game makes very poor use of multiple CPU cores.

Yeah it's idTech 5. Albeit a heavily modified version, but still. At least PS4 should be able to run this at 60fps since Wolfenstein does and that's identical to the PC-version maxed out. Yet they managed to get it to run below 30 which is really bad considering. Don't have an issue with it being 30fps, but because of the engine they chose it should be rock-solid.

UnrealEck

Unlocking the fps makes my GPU skyrocket in temperature, even when it's vsync'd.

I hope this isnt a trend for these current gen games going forward where even expensive GPUs on the market isn't powerful enough.

Sometimes, I hate being a PC gamer. :(
Your GPU should be able to run maxed out continuously for long periods of time without issue. I get what you mean though in that TEW requires excessive amounts of processing power and it's as if it goes nowhere. But the console versions are worse for multiple reasons. I don't understand why you hate being a PC gamer in this instance.

Your GPU should be able to run maxed out continuously for long periods of time without issue. I get what you mean though in that TEW requires excessive amounts of processing power and it's as if it goes nowhere. But the console versions are worse for multiple reasons. I don't understand why you hate being a PC gamer in this instance.
My temp is reaching 78-80 degrees. I don't think that's good.

And the hate is the constant advancement of technology and the price that goes with it.

derFeef

I am now buying the PC version (and pray to god my AMD cards don't puke), good on them to add those requested things.

kodecraft

I am now buying the PC version (and pray to god my AMD cards don't puke), good on them to add those requested things.

It's still not optimized so slow down a bit there. It's essentially just the console frame rate commands are now in the options. Along with Letterbox On/Off.

I say this because I see so many posters jump at buying something, and then cry about what shit game it is because 1) They aren't very good at the game, 2) It doesn't "work" with their hardware, 3) The story "sucks"....blah

derFeef

It's still not optimized so slow down a bit there. It's essentially just the console frame rate commands are now in the options. Along with Letterbox On/Off.

I say this because I see so many posters jump at buying something, and then cry about what shit game it is because 1) They aren't very good at the game, 2) It doesn't "work" with their hardware, 3) The story "sucks"....blah

Good call, have not yet.

SerTapTap

Sounds much improved. Is it still impossible to consistently hit 60fps though? Be interested to know if 60 fps is feasible or I should just lock to 30

It comes with the territory. For what it's worth I think gaming is a pretty cheap hobby, PC gaming even more so.
The cheaper games on Steam do make up for it though.
78-80 degrees isn't anything to worry about, that's actually a lot lower than what I usually get in my games.
Ok, so it's not that bad then?

That's refreshing to know.

What are dangerous levels by the way? Would the GPU actually shut down and tell me it's getting to hot?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But the update stops it from functioning properly. Have you stopped steam from updating?

Edit:To the poster above, yup. It's why I ended up not getting any further in this game today. I was already on a pretty tough boss in Ch. 10, but not being able to change my FOV really prevented me from playing even half as good as before. I'm serious, it's a major hinderance, and one of the main reasons I got the game on PC and not PS4. The performance was one factor, but even it and the infamous black bars don't bother me as much as the FOV. It's the only thing I change now, I'm fine with the black bars. "It's not just about being able to see, it's about feeling normal." (lol)

Seriously... I booted it up last night and couldn't stand the narrow FOV. How do people play this game on consoles? You can't see shit even without the massive letterboxes. I hope a solution arises soon. I'm done with the game until then.

RK9039

What are dangerous levels by the way? Would the GPU actually shut down and tell me it's getting to hot?

Nope it's not bad at all, my games generally hover around 90 degrees. I think anything above that might cause issues, but that's never happened to me.

I'm not really sure what happens if it gets too hot though.

Akronis

Typically they would just max out the fan speed. They may also throttle the clock speeds in an effort to force it to cool down. I know CPUs will shut down when too hot, but I have never encountered a GPU that will force the computer off. My GTX 480 was consistently hitting 105C and it would just rev the fan up and continue chugging along.

ktroopa

The game still runs poop at 60fps. Hitches and stuttering, the black bars toggle is welcome tho. I think the engine is crippled to run at 30fps uber pc go sux an egg

Yes, auto-updating isn't enabled (for this game).
I am very jealous. I wish I was more skeptical when I saw that Steam was updating it, might have been able to stop it...
Seriously... I booted it up last night and couldn't stand the narrow FOV. How do people play this game on consoles? You can't see shit even without the massive letterboxes. I hope a solution arises soon. I'm done with the game until then.
Yeah, it's really bad now. I can't see the traps that were within easy view before, its much more frustrating. I really liked the game before, but I can't play this game with its default FOV, I'm too used to having spacial awareness I guess. It sucks too, because I tried the other FOV fix (the second one, just an executable that allows dynamic modification in real time), but it doesn't seem to work now either. I suppose I could try out the CheatEngine fix...

Edit: Yup, it seems like CheatEngine doesn't recognize the new Evil Within executable too.

Top Bottom