• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2K13 Player's Choice: Donate money to breast cancer and get your favorite game in

Alfredo

I'll only have a problem with My Little Pony winning if the game isn't finished in time for EVO. I have no idea how far along they are with the game, but it'd be a shame if the eighth game ended up being an unfinished game for the whole world to judge.

Riposte

How likely is it that people who hardly care about fighting games will donate towards a pony game because they like ponies? I guess I can't criticize this without sounding like a heartless dick... I think there are better ways to tie a charity to EVO though.

How likely is it that people who hardly care about fighting games will donate towards a pony game because they like ponies? I guess I can't criticize this without sounding like a heartless dick... I think there are better ways to tie a charity to EVO though.

One man could easily do it.

original.jpg

There are ways to go about it without sounding like that(not that you are). I just don't think it matters much at this point, though. What's done is done.

TheMixta43

Neo Member
So many of these bronies who have never played a fighting game in their life, or at least can't truly appreciate the intricacies of the systems in these games and enjoy watching competitive players fight each other, are going to blow all of their money in this donation just so they can show how strong the brony community is and make sure that their voices are heard yet again.

It's just frustrating to think that I could be watching a game like CvS2 or BlazBlue instead of this pony fighting game that probably won't even be finished by EVO, and definitely won't be as good as most of the other choices on that list.

I'm very happy this money will be going to charity though, and the only thing about this situation that is pleasing to me is to know that a whole lot more money will be donated now because of them, because god forbid the ponies lose.

McNum

I don't see how bronies turning a breast cancer charity drive into a bidding war is a bad thing, all things considered. And they will. EVO's charity bidding plan just got featured on Equestria Daily, which is pretty much the big pony news aggregation site. So there's potential for a rush of pony donations. Everyone else will just have to keep up if they want to beat it. Which is how it should be with fighting games.

I'll be rooting for the ponies, though. (Yeah, yeah, avatar quote, I get it.) I mean Guilty Gear and Smash would be good to see at EVO, no doubt about it, they're proven games as is... But EVO is also about the hype. And Fighting is Magic would generate a lot of buzz, good and bad, plus attract more players and viewers that normally wouldn't care about EVO.

So, yeah, donate to fighting breast cancer, get ponies at EVO. I'd say that's a sweet deal. Although, I do worry if Fighting is Magic will be ready for this year's EVO, but we'll see. There was an EVO 2012 build last year, but if it's for the big screen, it needs to look its best.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I would probably rather play MLP than Smash or CvS.

I say this having no interest in MLP.

Either Divekick or VF5 would probably be my first pick though.

Tizoc

I'll make my donation before the time limit, and will mainly vote for the games that are released/available atm.
...and MLP is complete? It's out?!

soakrates

Part of me thinks MLP shouldn't be in the running simply on the grounds that it isn't anywhere near final release yet. Then again, including it as the "troll" option is kind of a great way to garner donations.

Ah well, donating for VF5 or SCV. I'll probably flip a coin to decide which.

Loona

I'll make my donation before the time limit, and will mainly vote for the games that are released/available atm.
...and MLP is complete? It's out?!

Nope, they're not done with the 6th of the main chatacters at this point, though at the current rate it should be playable in few months.

Can I say what I would love to see?

It would probably never happen for obvious issues with setups and stream time. But I would find it really nifty to take the top 10 games that made the cut for this list, but none that made the main EVO list and then have a "second tier decathlon" with those games and a selected set of just like eight or so players. Those same eight players would have to play an eight man tournament for each of those games throughout the weekend and points could be totaled up across all of the tournaments to determine who wins the title of second tier decathlon champ.

Seems like it could be kinda fun to see the same players have to adapt to games that are outside of their comfort zones. Plus then all the fans of the games that don't make the main stage still get to see just a little bit of their games played on EVO weekend.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's why there are 8 games.

Two throwaway games oust games I would actually pay attention to.

Besides, the charity drive is grossly insincere. Sony will just moneyhat PSAS and that'll gel the lineup.

If you're only donating to get a game you like in there, forget it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Can I say what I would love to see?

It would probably never happen for obvious issues with setups and stream time. But I would find it really nifty to take the top 10 games that made the cut for this list, but none that made the main EVO list and then have a "second tier decathlon" with those games and a selected set of just like eight or so players. Those same eight players would have to play an eight man tournament for each of those games throughout the weekend and points could be totaled up across all of the tournaments to determine who wins the title of second tier decathlon champ.

Seems like it could be kinda fun to see the same players have to adapt to games that are outside of their comfort zones. Plus then all the fans of the games that don't make the main stage still get to see just a little bit of their games played on EVO weekend.
Watch UFGT's mystery tournament.

sleepykyo

Two throwaway games oust games I would actually pay attention to.

Besides, the charity drive is grossly insincere. Sony will just moneyhat PSAS and that'll gel the lineup.

If you're only donating to get a game you like in there, forget it.

The SC community could go back to having their own nationals like they did for SC2 and SC4. Could have sworn Jaxel was trying to get one going for SC5.

Keits

Developer
Thanks for the support guys. We are doing big things with Divekick, and we are trying to get the announcement train moving on that ASAP.

We'll see you at a ton of events no matter what happens.

Nah they just making excuses because they don't want to spend money.

Fucking conspiracy theory bull shit. A) Oh it's rigged. B)Oh Sony going to out donate everyone to get their game in. C) Oh MLP trolls going to beat us so no point in donating.

blah blah blah... save the bull shit.

ReiGun

These dudes on the smash boards are afraid to donate because of Sony. MLP is going to take this convincingly.

Yup. Smash players too busy talking themselves out of it when it should be theirs easily.

Ponies @ Evo 2013. Get hype.

Zorothemetalone

Neo Member
I've played Melee in tournament for 8 years, if they ran it i'd buy a ticket to evo today. Though the last time evo ran smash they had items which is really unappealing from a tourney***'s perspective.

I think newer games deserve a chance though. Plus very few traditional fighting game players respect smash. They'll throw a fit.

tafer

Nah they just making excuses because they don't want to spend money.

Fucking conspiracy theory bull shit. A) Oh it's rigged. B)Oh Sony going to out donate everyone to get their game in. C) Oh MLP trolls going to beat us so no point in donating.

blah blah blah... save the bull shit.

Yeah, been serious, the MLP game doesn't deserve to win for 2 important reasons:
- it's not finished and probably won't be.
- it's not officially licensed, it could get C&D'ed tomorrow and that will be pretty much it. (The PR nightmare for canceling a harmless, profit free, noble donation mover game would be delicious)

And to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys behind the game decide to NOT participate at the end. (In part for the reasons above)

With that said, if the other fan bases/developers/publishers can't move their asses to beat the bronies, they deserve to lose said position.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, been serious, the MLP game doesn't deserve to win for 2 important reasons:
- it's not finished and probably won't be.
- it's not officially licensed, it could get C&D'ed tomorrow and that will be pretty much it. (The PR nightmare for canceling a harmless, profit free, noble donation mover game would be delicious)

And to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys behind the game decide to NOT participate at the end. (In part for the reasons above)

With that said, if the other fan bases/developers/publishers can't move their asses to beat the bronies, they deserve to lose said position.

I sorta assume they've already made sure that they can run it if it wins.

Top Bottom