• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2K13 Player's Choice: Donate money to breast cancer and get your favorite game in

Loona

I've been split between CvS2 and DoA5 for this, but I think I might lean more toward DoA.

My interest in CvS2 is as an SNK fan that want to see more of that at EVO - however, CvS2 has degenerated into something with very little of my favorite company and games in it at a competitive level - people stick to a few specific SF characters, stic to A groove for repetitive custom combos or C groove to recycle their SF skills and there seems to be little variation from that, with the one SNK element, rolls, being mostly used for a glich that allows them to be cancelled for invnicibility. For me, this has grown boring to watch for years.

I want to encourage a CvS3 that addresses these problems, but EVO probably isn't the way to do it. If a CvS2 re-release on PSN is indeed planned for Europe, I may be better supporting the possibility with my money there and at that time.

Which would leave DoA5, which I feel could use a bit more attention.

But it's late, maybe there's some other factor that hasn't crossed my mind... I still have 20 days to decide and donate.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys behind the game decide to NOT participate at the end. (In part for the reasons above)
They've run a streamed tournament before and had the game at the evo floor last year.

tafer

They've run a streamed tournament before and had the game at the evo floor last year.

You can't compare the previous presentations with this one.

... and they updated their blog. They are in:

http://www.mane6.com/
... Well, this is a bit awkward.

You might have heard that Fighting is Magic is now in the running to be one of the main games at EVO 2013. If you heard it last night, you found out at the same time we did. Since then, we've been discussing the situation; We've contacted the organization people at EVO, and we've been trying to sort it out.

Here's what came out of that: We're participating in the drive for the chance to be one of the main games at EVO.

So we have to explain a few things.

Fighting is Magic is — or, at least, we're trying to have it be —, a game not only for the MLP fan community (the bronies), but also for the Fighting Game Community.

As such, we're aware that right now, these two communities we're trying to appeal to may have conflicting interests in this regard.

We know that most of you following the project who come from the Pony fandom are interested in the ponies first, and the game second. We also know that you're probably gonna give the game a try because it has ponies in it. That's good!, we really hope you enjoy the game. We've been trying to find a balance between the technical, strategy mind game that veterans of the fighting game genre, and an easy enough system so people new to the whole thing can still enjoy it, have fun, and hopefully, be encouraged to try some other fighting games after that. Of course, this also means that of our MLP fandom followers, there's probably a sizable portion that wouldn't give the game a second glance if the ponies weren't part of it.

Now. We're not trying to "invade" anything. We're not trying to force our little project down the Fighting games community's throat, and while we're happy when we hear of people that gave MLP a try because of our game, it is not really our main objective. We appreciate the exposure that EVO is offering us with this chance. And we appreciate people backing us up on this one, because we chose to believe that means we're doing a good job with the game. Or at least an acceptable one.

And as such, we'd like to know that we're being backed up for the -right- reasons.

If you are voting in this drive for us ONLY because our game has ponies, please, stop for a moment, and hear us out.

We love you guys. We enjoy being a part of the pony fandom, and we've been fortunate enough to have witnessed just how much the fandom can accomplish when its united. We've seen your generosity in action, and we're pretty darn proud of it.

The donations you guys give to the games in the running for 8th game at EVO all go to the same source, regardless of who you vote for. We're not receiving a single cent out of that money (or seeing it, even), no matter if you vote for us or not, so feel free to vote for the games -you- want to see and play at EVO. Vote because you love the gameplay, because you love their community, and because you think they're good games that deserve to be played.

LabZero's Skullgirls is in the running. We've always thought that game deserved more love. Super Smash Bros Melee is also in there, and it's one of the devs favourites from the running. And we'll appreciate it if you guys vote for them, as much as we'd appreciate if you voted for us.

We also should mention we have a tl;dr FAQ on the whole thing after the break.

- Mane6 DevTeam

Continues on their site.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Considering that their blog has not been updated (http://www.mane6.com/), all we know is that the game remains unlicensed.

It would be stupid as fuck for the Evo staff to run a player's choice thing like this without making sure they can run all the games first. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt on that one. They've probably spoken to Hasbro or something.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So many of these bronies who have never played a fighting game in their life, or at least can't truly appreciate the intricacies of the systems in these games and enjoy watching competitive players fight each other, are going to blow all of their money in this donation just so they can show how strong the brony community is and make sure that their voices are heard yet again.
I would love to see the research numbers for that!

Chavelo

Played the EVO build in the indie corner and even downloaded that build that was leaked. For that, I will donate to their cause.

You can't compare the previous presentations with this one.

... and they updated their blog. They are in:

http://www.mane6.com/

4OEN3.gif

MLP4EVO. For good gameplay, and for the tears. :D

THEY WILL LOVE AND TOLERATE THE SHIT OUTTA THE HATERS.

Haunted

Super Turbo is an option, but not Third Strike? Could've been the glorious return of the king.

Eh, I'll take Melee for real or Divekick/Sony Smash for the funsies.

edit: pretty sure the pony game will run into legal trouble once it gets more attention. Hasbro probably doesn't appreciate an unlicensed game taking their copyrighted characters aimed at little girls and have them beat the shit out of each other.

tafer

It would be stupid as fuck for the Evo staff to run a player's choice thing like this without making sure they can run all the games first. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt on that one. They've probably spoken to Hasbro or something.

Considering all the coverage this specific game has received, I think it's impossible to say that Hasbro isn't aware of it. Hell, If I recall correctly, even important staff from the show were impressed and even interested in the game.

With that said, we don't know if there is some sort of agreement. (There has to be if they are going to participate)

kirblar

I expect the MLP guys to gift their invite away if they win after reading that. Especially because of the copyright issues.

If I were Hasbro, the last thing on earth I would want is the MLP brand associated with the shenanigans of the FGC.

This brony culture is already weird enough, but maybe they enjoy the publicity? I don't know.

Speaking selfishly, I really, really don't want to see this game at EVO. :(

Anth0ny

And as such, we'd like to know that we're being backed up for the -right- reasons.

If you are voting in this drive for us ONLY because our game has ponies, please, stop for a moment, and hear us out.

That's what I've been saying. Good shit to the actual dev team for calling the community out. If ponies wins, it'll only be because the pony community is massive and crazy. I can't imagine a good turnout for the game itself at Evo.

tafer

Straight from the Melee Evo donation thread at the Smash Boards:

http://i.imgur.com/VC8iR.png[IMG]

[url]http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332276[/url]

smh[/QUOTE]

Boy, what a clusterfuck (I actually feel sorry for the few voices of reason on that thread).

And quite the contrast with a brony thread I read earlier about the subject. Seriously, if the other communities can't get their shit together, not only Bronies are going to win this stuff easily but they'll also deserve it. And the shitty communities of the other games will only have themselves to blame for this mess.

McNum

Boy, what a clusterfuck (I actually feel sorry for the few voices of reason on that thread).

And quite the contrast with a brony thread I read earlier about the subject. Seriously, if the other communities can't get their shit together, not only Bronies are going to win this stuff easily but they'll also deserve it. And the shitty communities of the other games will only have themselves to blame for this mess.
Yeah, pretty much this. If the Smash community can't get itself together to donate to charity without putting all sorts of stipulations on it, they'll never get their game in. And this goes for all the Players Choice contestants. This is a charity drive. Bronies are known to be charitable, even if FiM doesn't win, a lot of them will be happy that they donated to charity anyway. That's what they're up against. Outbid Fighting is Magic or get the ponies you deserve.

There are several games on the list I'd rather see there from a competition point of view. But honestly, for the sheer hype and mountains of salt it would generate, then I gotta cheer on the ponies. It would be so funny if it won. I mean, Smash has the community, it has the amount of people. This is Smash's contest to lose. And... well... they're doing well at that.

vg260

Just curious, were there any reasons given as to why DOA5 was not chosen for the lineup?

Wasn't it supposed to be better competitively?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Just curious, were there any reasons given as to why DOA5 was not chosen for the lineup?

It's just not a very popular game on the competitive scene. The DoA community has to step it up.

Really respect the response by Mane6. Hard to compare the stance of the developer of one game to the stance of an online portion of community for a different game, but there is a clear difference in maturity there.

El Sloth

Banned

All the games on the list were chosen from a Facebook poll held last year where people were asked what game they'd most like to see at EVO 2K13. All the games that recieved 500+ votes now have the oppurtunitity to be the 8th game with this donation drive. DOA5 must just not have gotten enough votes.

Someone correct me please if I'm wrong about this.

vg260

All the games on the list were chosen from a Facebook poll held last year where people were asked what game they'd most like to see at EVO 2K13. All the games that recieved 500+ votes now have the oppurtunitity to be the 8th game with this donation drive. DOA5 must just not have gotten enough votes.

Someone correct me please if I'm wrong about this.

Sorry, I meant the original lineup chosen. I guess the community just wasn't there to be chosen.

It's still weird that the staff didn't cull out certain games from the Player's Choice list. Off the top of my head, BB:CP doesn't have a console release at the moment and MLP isn't even finished. I would think they would immediately cross these two out for the same reason Injustice is out.

notworksafe

It's still weird that the staff didn't cull out certain games from the Player's Choice list. Off the top of my head, BB:CP doesn't have a console release at the moment and MLP isn't even finished. I would think they would immediately cross these two out for the same reason Injustice is out.

Injustice is up for voting, same as MLP, BBCP, and GGXX R+. All those games aren't released on consoles.

Haunted

It's worth noting that while Smash was clearly the biggest game on the FB poll, it was actually Guilty Gear that was next in line if you remove the ones that Mr Wizard chose.

Not sure how well that FB support reflects the community size when it comes to putting your money where your mouth is.

Pretty weak stuff from the Smash community if the posts I'm seeing reposted here are representative of most of them and there's not just people there that already gave their money (I wouldn't need to ask anyone to donate for my favourite game, so I'm not sure what the purpose of those threads actually is). >_>

Too bad you can't see a running tally.

Exr

Does MLP play like any other fighter so far? Can you compare it to anything in terms of gameplay? I'm not a fan of the franchise but if the game itself is solid I'd be ok with it...although I'd prefer 3s or Garou MotW

notworksafe

It's worth noting that while Smash was clearly the biggest game on the FB poll, it was actually Guilty Gear that was next in line if you remove the ones that Mr Wizard chose.

Not sure how well that FB support reflects the community size when it comes to putting your money where your mouth is.

Pretty weak stuff from the Smash community if the posts I'm seeing reposted here are representative of most of them and there's not just people there that already gave their money (I wouldn't need to ask anyone to donate for my favourite game, so I'm not sure what the purpose of those threads actually is). >_>

Too bad you can't see a running tally.

I don't know if it's representative of most of them. There's a lot of posts on that board saying they already donated and that the community shouldn't squander an opportunity like this. I know a bunch of the local scene has also donated (but they are also going to EVO to play AE/KOF as well).

I wouldn't let a few loud and annoying jerks ruin your perception of a whole scene.

Chavelo

Does MLP play like any other fighter so far? Can you compare it to anything in terms of gameplay? I'm not a fan of the franchise but if the game itself is solid I'd be ok with it...although I'd prefer 3s or Garou MotW

Plays like a 1v1 version of MVC2.

Pretty solid for how far along it is, actually.

Keits

Developer
I can tell you this; If Divekick gets in, it will have more actual entries than any of the other games on the list, and will run faster than an ST tournament.

Either way, we'll be out there supporting the game.

Skilletor

Because it's a bad competitive fighting game with a shitty community and no people willing to show up to tournaments.

Nothing other than the game isn't finished, it's unvetted as a tournament worthy fighting game, and it's MLP so a large number of spectators will mock/shun it. And it's MLP.

We had SFxT last year go through without being finished or vetted at the time, and Injustice is in the running for this one which is neither finished nor vetted, so the only unique argument here is "it's MLP".

I'm personally not a big fan of MLP and public perception of a game clearly is a big factor, but Evo is by-and-large a community strength-driven event on what games enter it, so I don't have any misgivings about MLP taking the slot if it has the numbers(both in donations, and at people participating in the tournament if it does win).

I've donated for Smash. I don't play the game other than for drunken fun with friends - and even then I've not touched it for 2 years or more, and I don't like watching the game... but I think they deserve a chance. Plus, charity!

I do think it's kind of bullshit that MLP is on there, though. It's a fun joke, but these people are mental and actually give it a legitimate chance of winning, and it's not even a finished game and is unlikely to be one by the time Evo rolls around. SFxT proved that was a bad idea last year, and that had a solid release date and is a Capcom game, not some fan effort.

Top Bottom