• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Big Alpha Impressions/bugs/glitches thread

Trying to play for one hour, managed to get in a match, had 3fps and had to kill the program to relaunch it again. :'D
Most of the time connection is lost and you can't play. I'll try tomorrow I guess !

Guess what would have happened if they hadn't done this and had issues that delayed the servers being up during the alpha test? Driveclub would have happened.

People being able to play these alpha/beta runs are very much secondary to seeing how the servers handle loads and what issues arise when you throw a bunch of people in at once. That's kind of the point. This happening now is a good thing if it means it won't happen later.
I understand the need for stress-testing, but has anyone even gotten through? It appears everyone has gotten the same message that the "My2K servers aren't accepting any users at this time".

I understand the need for stress-testing, but has anyone even gotten through? It appears everyone has gotten the same message that the "My2K servers aren't accepting any users at this time".

I don't think so, I don't think PS4 servers have gone live. Waiting on a twitter update.

Xyber

I've tried six times to connect to a game to no avail on PC. I take it the servers are getting hammered but this is a bit annoying.

Have to say its not often I see games automatically match me up with players in ny country exclusively. So many Swedes playing.

Haha, yeah. Just got into a lobby with 4 other swedes.

SURGEdude

As dozens of people said already, this has almost nothing in common with l4d, so you saying that you like l4d has as much relevance as saying "I don't like Gears of War. I am a big Unreal fan."

Thats BS. It has lots in common with L4D. It isn't the same thing sure, but lets not ignore the similarities so that we can dismiss criticism eh?

-Deimos

Two matches so far as Goliath. First match was really sloppy, but so were the hunters and I won. Second match I completely destroyed the other team but for some reason the game didn't end so I went for the objective.

UnrealEck

My PC seems to choke on high or very high. Medium or low is rock solid not a single hiccup. People were saying it was running on high for them on a GTX 660 so maybe I had some incompatibility bug. I figured it was a 2GB video memory limitation. My PC also only has 6GB of main memory and the game seems to use all available memory up. I really doubt it's running out of main memory though. It's probably just making use of it but doesn't require it.

Qassim

My PC seems to choke on high or very high. Medium or low is rock solid not a single hiccup. People were saying it was running on high for them on a GTX 660 so maybe I had some incompatibility bug. I figured it was a 2GB video memory limitation. My PC also only has 6GB of main memory and the game seems to use all available memory up. I really doubt it's running out of main memory though. It's probably just making use of it but doesn't require it.

For what it is worth, my total system memory usage never seemingly went above 6GB of RAM (I think it was mostly around 5.5-5.8GB), I have 16GB of RAM. So I'm not sure if you actually are hitting a memory biottleneck or not, since from what I recall it didn't seem to just gobble up available memory.

UnrealEck

For what it is worth, my total system memory usage never seemingly went above 6GB of RAM (I think it was mostly around 5.5-5.8GB), I have 16GB of RAM. So I'm not sure if you actually are hitting a memory biottleneck or not, since from what I recall it didn't seem to just gobble up available memory.

Well it could be close. I have like 5GB free after all the services and programs running on Windows. I see however that people are having stuttering issues on the Steam forums, so it may just be a game bug.

Spinluck

The impressions are so mixed I might not pick this up :/

I'm already burnt on shooters so I was hoping that this would be fresh enough for me to get into. I'm still gonna try it though, if they can get it working on PS4...

Gestault

As dozens of people said already, this has almost nothing in common with l4d, so you saying that you like l4d has as much relevance as saying "I don't like Gears of War. I am a big Unreal fan."

There are obvious and meaningful parallels with Left 4 Dead gameplay, from my experience.

Thanks for your post, very informative. I only managed to squeeze in one game last night and liked it, but I reckon I'll enjoy it a lot more if I play in the manner you described.

Good stuff here.

Thanks for the kind words, happy to help.

TL;DR The game should get more fun the better the players get which is why having an offline tutorial/training mode needs to be included in the game.

On the forums, the devs have said both a tutorial and bots are going to be implemented in the full game, so no worries there. They both should help new players quite a bit.

Cons:
-Game isn't fun
-Super unbalanced

How this won so many awards is beyond me.

And I'm a diehard L4D(1) fan.

Care to elaborate? I'm pretty sure the win rate was 49/51 in favor of the hunters last time I checked. What about the game isn't fun? I've clocked in 25 hours in the last alpha and plan to drop another 20+ on this one. I'm having loads of fun with it.

- The hunters seem to hit an invisible ceiling sometimes with the jet pack. This could be me doing something wrong but I believe I still had fuel on multiple occasions but would just hover a few feet below the ledge I wanted to reach. I'm hoping I was doing something wrong because this is a game breaker as it wastes your entire jet pack and a lot of time and you cannot tell what you can climb successfully and what you cannot. Anyone have any answers here?

I don't believe there are invisible ceilings, at least that the hunters can reach. You may be hitting the edges of your trapper's dome perhaps? You can also still boost up cliffs and such even with no fuel, but it will be a bit slower than usual. Just jump and boost like you normally would and your character will sluggishly float up.

The parallels that are there are pretty shallow. The entire dynamic of the game is different.

Yup. The entire game is like L4D against a heavy, except you have to track it, you each have different abilities, and it can "evolve".

Sooooo not very similar to L4D, basically.

Did you have to kill Daisy in the first alpha? That would explain it.....

No idea, didn't play that, but Daisy has kept our (downed) team alive before. And a round didn't end until Daisy was killed once, so pretty sure you have to kill her.

dex3108

It is interesting but Monster is really OP if Hunters don't play as team. And that is main issue for me. I finished match in around 10 minutes evolving to 3rd level and this was my first time with hands-on with game. Also i successfully avoided hunters and evolved to 2nd level by eating wildlife only and that was how i spent 70% of time in my first match.

KOHIPEET

"Attention PlayStation users - PSN is undergoing maintenance from 9PM to 11PM Pacific tonight (in 90m from this post time).

If you were planning to pre-load the PS4 ‪#‎BigAlpha‬ client, plan appropriately to make sure you're finished in time (or start afterwards)."

Evolve's Facebook page.

:(

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
So I was in the same boat as most people in here when it came to liking this game. I had no idea what i was doing, especially as the monster, and the game suffered for it.

I just finished my first game winning as the monster and let me tell you how much fun this game is when you know how to play as him. I was able to evolve into to level 3 and when I was finally trapped I absolutely demolished the hunters. Then it was easy with a few of them dead to run off and destroy the relay.

Just a tip, when you are the monster crouching is your best friend. They won't find your tracks and it gives you time to feed and level.

There are still plenty more kinks to be ironed out but when the gamw is firing on all cylinders jts a lot of fun.

i have some opinions to share:

- more time in the loading than in the game
- the monster is only strong against hunters with no communication ... in a party its practically impossible to win
- loved the characters but would be cool to customize equipment to a class you like
- its very tactical! I loved the variety of weapons and equipments
- the maps are way too small and finding the monster is very easy
- the game will have a story mode or campaign? If not, i don't think it will sustain a $60 game with a blend gameplay like that, with a 8 minutes loading and 10 minutes match

beside all that, i really liked the game, its cool to play with friends, if its a 40 bucks downloadable game, would be a day one

"Attention PlayStation users - PSN is undergoing maintenance from 9PM to 11PM Pacific tonight (in 90m from this post time).

If you were planning to pre-load the PS4 ‪#‎BigAlpha‬ client, plan appropriately to make sure you're finished in time (or start afterwards)."

Evolve's Facebook page.

:(

Maintenance was yesterday though.

SURGEdude

Care to elaborate? I'm pretty sure the win rate was 49/51 in favor of the hunters last time I checked. What about the game isn't fun? I've clocked in 25 hours in the last alpha and plan to drop another 20+ on this one. I'm having loads of fun with it.

Based on less than an hour of play. Just first impressions :)

Arken2121

Has anyone else here had issues searching for other players? I got past the server login and now i'm trying to find players but it's taking forever.

And the PS4 fails again! Whoo! Ugh

http://evolvegame.com/news/big-alpha-important-news-for-ps4-players

We have some unfortunate news to share with folks planning to participate in the Big Alpha test on PlayStation 4 starting today. Following the recent PS4 2.00 firmware update, we are experiencing difficulties with the Evolve Big Alpha on PlayStation 4. As a result, the test on PlayStation 4 is postponed. PlayStation and 2K are working together on a resolution.

s0hY9AB

-Deimos

Yup. The entire game is like L4D against a heavy, except you have to track it, you each have different abilities, and it can "evolve".

Sooooo not very similar to L4D, basically.

No idea, didn't play that, but Daisy has kept our (downed) team alive before. And a round didn't end until Daisy was killed once, so pretty sure you have to kill her.

I killed every hunter, not just downed them. I assumed since there was no one left for Daisy to revive, the match would end. I thought it was like this in the first alpha but I'm probably remembering wrong.

NotLiquid

Managed to get into one game. It was... eh. Honestly, for the most of the part that might have to do with how there was zero feedback to anything and how I didn't really get a chance to learn how it works. For the most of the part I was just following my other team mates who were just running circles around the map (and since I was Assault I felt like I wasn't even being a good team mate in leading the offensive). I wasn't sure just how I should handle the monsters on the map and what all the icons meant. It doesn't help that even though the game has really nice visuals and atmosphere (as well as good performance), it's so damp and dark that I easily lose myself in the environments. When we finally engaged the monster it was all a little bit too late as it had too much of an advantage and we got totally destroyed.

There's some good ideas in here but the Alpha could have stood to use a bit of a tutorial. Most of the time my problem was that I had no earthly idea what was going on and there wasn't really a sense of progression and micromanagement importance like in L4D where every action you took had some serious implications.

Maybe I just got an unlucky team of equally as inexperienced players as me. I would try to do another round but rather than constantly disconnecting the match making has totally taken a dump on my end and won't even move passed the Searching phase.

I killed every hunter, not just downed them. I assumed since there was no one left for Daisy to revive, the match would end. I thought it was like this in the first alpha but I'm probably remembering wrong.

Yeah, you had to down Daisy in the first alpha too. She can be such a pain to chase down.

KOHIPEET

"We have some unfortunate news to share with folks planning to participate in the Big Alpha test on PlayStation 4 starting today. Following the recent PS4 2.00 firmware update, we are experiencing difficulties with the Evolve Big Alpha on PlayStation 4. As a result, the test on PlayStation 4 is postponed. PlayStation and 2K are working together on a resolution.

If you’re playing in the Big Alpha test on Xbox One or PC, don’t worry, the show will go on.

We know that for many of you PS4 players this is a big letdown. We’re disappointed too, and we’re going to do our best to make up for this delay. For starters, if you’re a PS4 player affected by this delay and you also own an Xbox One or PC, you can register on one of those platforms right now using the codes below and we’ll send you an invite today so you can start playing."

So no Evolve for PS4 now............

Seriously, I get back from all week work, I have some time to play and this...

From a software side, PS4 is big damn clusterfuck in the past months.

Top Bottom