• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F3AR revealed.Yes, it's named F3AR, so original.

Acosta

bj00rn_ said:
B4C4USE "FEAR 3" W07LD BE SO M7CH M0R3 AW3SOM3 AND CL3V4R! W61t.. Wh0 g1v3s a sh1t..

There, I fixed that for you. You are welcome.

Fallout-NL said:
I'd prefer it if they went back to Blood, now there was an awesome game.

Hey, are you saying NOLF is not awesome? :( If they made a modern version of Blood it would be all dark and serious, they have passed too much time doing stuff like Condemned and F3AR. They need a change of tone for once (I would'n mind a new Shogo).

eso76

Carlisle said:
What other games could we do this with?

Boy did these guys miss the new trend train. Missed opportunity total.

there's still time for

METAL GEAR 5OLID

METAL 6EAR SOLID

ME7AL GEAR SOLID

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I remember when they lost the FEAR name entirely. It kinda makes me wish they would lose it again.

FEAR was an incredible game. Project Origin was acceptable, but way too freaking easy.

Mar

Danne-Danger said:
DOOM single-barreled shotgun > DOOM double-barreled shotgun

Let’s fight.

Get outa here.

shotgun.gif

The single barrel more effective as a weapon? Sure. But nothing beats the boom and clunk click sounds and force of the double barrel.

nightez

Banned
They should go back to making No One Lives Forever games in my opinion. FEAR 1 was crap - shit wasn't even scary, other games have done better things with bullet time too.

Feindflug

Can't say that I'm excited even though I loved the first game after the fiasco that was the sequel...an inferior game in almost every way - the only positive thing about it was the variety in the environments - everything else was crap compared to the first game - nerfed shotgun, dumbed down enemy AI, laughably easy even on the highest difficulty setting, awful multiplayer, clunky controls on the consoles and beyond stupid story.

F.E.A.2 was such a boring POS....Monolith should stop making sequels and instead create something completely new - their sequel record must be one of the worse in the industry.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
They can name the next one 4.

You know, 4 in German is "vier", which sounds exactly like "fear".

Royalty payments go to my PayPal account: Link

Dyno

I liked F.E.A.R. 2 more than most. Good environments, great atmosphere. One of the enemies in particular
psycho-enhanced crawly guys
were quite good. I liked the weapons and F.E.A.R. 2 is one of the rare shooters to provide single-player DLC that was good for the story.

I saw it as a high end B-level shooter, like Bioshock 2. As a shooter fanatic who loves atmospheric games I need a few of these a year to pad out my play-time. Will keep it on the radar.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
out0v0rder said:
The first FEAR was developed primarily for the PC, with the console versions as port jobs.

FEAR 2 was made to be an optimized experience across all platforms.

Im sure you all already know, but guess which one kinda sucked?
You've got to be kidding me. There was nothing limiting about FEAR 2 compared to the original. I definitely prefer FEAR 2 myself. The original game could not possibly have been more boring. At least the sequel finally offered a bit of visual variety.

I don't think FEAR 2 is a fantastic game by any means, but I MUCH prefer it to the original.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
dark10x said:
You've got to be kidding me. There was nothing limiting about FEAR 2 compared to the original. I definitely prefer FEAR 2 myself. The original game could not possibly have been more boring. At least the sequel finally offered a bit of visual variety.

I don't think FEAR 2 is a fantastic game by any means, but I MUCH prefer it to the original.
There was though. Leaning was actually important in FEAR. Not a huge loss, but a limit. Also: The guns didn't feel as satisfying. When you're shooting in slow motion, that's a huge mistake.

I thought FEAR was awesome, but FEAR 2's demo left me largely uninterested. The tacky film-grain, the less tactically interesting environments, and the general feeling of it being dumbed down. It was like Condemned 2 to Condemned. They tried very deliberately to make it more fun and accessible, but ended up losing the soul of it in the process.

Now, I did only play the demo for FEAR 2, so I could be way off base, but that's how I thought it would go down based on it and its the reason I never bought it even after really enjoying the first.

Tokubetsu

I enjoyed FEAR 2 a lot...I actually marathon-ed through it and the dlc in one weekend...across 3 sittings tops but I do think it was nowhere near as VISCERAL as the first. I'm entirely convinced it's the games fault though. When the original came out, it did a lot of things games weren't really doing at the time. It had amazing gore (something games at the time kinda stepped away from in favor of more rag doll and physics stuff), beautiful particle effects and really smart and interesting A.I. Project Origin hasn't really add anything to that outside of better level design and pacing. Still enjoyable though and I'll be getting this.

Even if its only to find out what happens after
Alma rapes you at the end of F.E.A.R. 2
:lol

Feindflug said:
Can't say that I'm excited even though I loved the first game after the fiasco that was the sequel...an inferior game in almost every way - the only positive thing about it was the variety in the environments - everything else was crap compared to the first game - nerfed shotgun, dumbed down enemy AI, laughably easy even on the highest difficulty setting, awful multiplayer, clunky controls on the consoles and beyond stupid story.

F.E.A.2 was such a boring POS....Monolith should stop making sequels and instead create something completely new - their sequel record must be one of the worse in the industry.
shut the fuck up and go play NOLF2. no one who made a sequel that awesome should stop making sequels.

FEAR2 was a bit of a let down compared to the awesome first, but i'd say like, FEAR 10/10 FEAR 2 8/10. the DLC was short, but really good. makes me feel like FEAR 2 just needed more time.

It's a monolith fps. so therefore it will be good to great. i'll play it.

Benson

I bet 27 people sat in a room brainstorming for 14 days before they eventually came up with this name. What clever people they are, a raise is definitely in order! All of the cool kids will be queueing up to buy this funky game with a number in the title, how l337 they will be.

Bearthgar

Banned
Cover looks like Jeff Bridges and G Man starring in a 90's action horror movie with the girl from the Ring and the Neogaf logo.

My biggest problem with FEAR 2 (which i still enjoyed, but not as much as the first), were the firefights. The first game had apeshit particles and debris and lighting effects going crazy when you tore up an enemy unit, and slow-mo was neccesary in many fights, which made all that stuff look even more badass. FEAR 2 just didnt have it, i cant think of a single firefight that lit up the place, and slow-mo i think i used about twice, on the hardest difficulty. Lack of lean sorta killed the sneak peeking i used to do. Everything else seemed great, just the firefights, which were a biggy, and FEAR's trademark thing.

Also, that cover, i love it :lol Paxton Fettel on the right ? Point man/dude bro on the left ? Shiiiiit.

gotee12

I remember taking a survey many moons ago about this game (I guess my NDA concerning it is lifted now). Though for the life of me I can't remember what title/banner I voted for! In fact, I can't remember any of the choices based on the game's style I voted for...

Despite the title, I'm glad they got another coming even though FEAR2 seemed like it was a commercial flop. Didn't seem like the fanbase was crazy about it either.

Still dig the franchise even though it doesn't really do anything particlarly amazing ...just well enough. And yeah, FEAR2 >>> FEAR1.

Forgot that I have to play the DLC at some point. Guess a reinstall is in order...

sflufan

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:
Fox owns the rights to Cate and NOLF, so...

Which means the rights to the NOLF IP are in the hands of Bobby Kotick.

Fox Interactive --> Sierra Entertainment --> Vivendi Games --> Activision-Blizzard

dark10x

BobsRevenge said:
There was though. Leaning was actually important in FEAR. Not a huge loss, but a limit. Also: The guns didn't feel as satisfying. When you're shooting in slow motion, that's a huge mistake.

I thought FEAR was awesome, but FEAR 2's demo left me largely uninterested. The tacky film-grain, the less tactically interesting environments, and the general feeling of it being dumbed down. It was like Condemned 2 to Condemned. They tried very deliberately to make it more fun and accessible, but ended up losing the soul of it in the process.

Now, I did only play the demo for FEAR 2, so I could be way off base, but that's how I thought it would go down based on it and its the reason I never bought it even after really enjoying the first.
Opinions are opinions, I guess. I didn't use leaning all that much in FEAR, to be honest, so I did not miss it. I definitely disagree on the guns, though, as I thought they felt and looked *MUCH* better in FEAR 2. The original game had twitchy, ugly, poorly animated guns that felt like shit to use. The simple act of walking around and shooting felt much better in FEAR 2, I thought.

They definitely made some changes to the game formula that I could see fans of the original disliking, but for me, I definitely much preferred the sequel. That said, I don't think either game is great.

dark10x said:
Opinions are opinions, I guess. I didn't use leaning all that much in FEAR, to be honest, so I did not miss it. I definitely disagree on the guns, though, as I thought they felt and looked *MUCH* better in FEAR 2. The original game had twitchy, ugly, poorly animated guns that felt like shit to use. The simple act of walking around and shooting felt much better in FEAR 2, I thought.

EXACTLY

Kids go on and on about FEAR1's gunplay. It was the pyrotechnics/lighting/post-processing that made it what it was, not those ugly ass weapon models/weak sound effects.

i guess i'm mostly surprised that people are surprised that a terribly named game has a terribly named sequel.

F.E.A.R. was and is a really dumb name for a game. twas a great game though so i don't really care that F3AR has a dumb name.

i want something on par gameplay wise with the original and the dlc for the sequel (though perhaps without that awful final boss fight in the DLC). i'll be satisfied with something on par with FEAR2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought FEAR was a bit overhyped, but I enjoyed both it and the sequel. I love how FEAR2 improved the variety in enemies, locations, and the gunplay felt great.

But I hated how much easier it was, the horrible story, and how nerfed the scares were. I didnt think FEAR was all that scary, but FEAR2 went the direction of so many Hollywood remakes of classic horror films; all budget and special effects, no tension or mystery.

Not really looking forward to this. Extraction Point remains my perfect FEAR game.

element

Combichristoffersen said:
I wish Monolith would regain the rights to the Blood franchise and make a triumphant return with the real Blood 2 (Blood II: The Chosen was awful) rather than waste their time on this shitty 'horror' franchise :'(
Monolith (WB) owns the Blood property.

Which means the rights to the NOLF IP are in the hands of Bobby Kotick.

Fox Interactive --> Sierra Entertainment --> Vivendi Games --> Activision-Blizzard
Nope. Actually Fox (NewsCorp) owns it.

dark10x

pakkit said:
Monolith, stop with the sequelitis! I liked you more when you were funnier or made games about mechs.
Shogo was f*cking horrible, though. Like, it has a certain cheesy charm to it, but it was never a good game. I remember being hyped for that two, but those first couple of LithTech games (Blood 2 and Shogo) were absolutely awful.

dark10x said:
Shogo was f*cking horrible, though. Like, it has a certain cheesy charm to it, but it was never a good game. I remember being hyped for that two, but those first couple of LithTech games (Blood 2 and Shogo) were absolutely awful.
i loved shogo.

shogo's only real problem was launching a month after Half Life and looking dated (gameplay design wise) as a result.

i played through it again not that long ago and it's still fun.

Blood 2 was terrible.

Contract Jack was terrible.

everything else, good to great.

dark10x said:
It's been a while but I remember having lots of fun with Shogo. Don't have any particular memories concerning Blood 2 so I probably didn't think very much of it.

DigiMish

dark10x said:

What? I don't even...

Odrion said:
of all the monolith franchises to constantly crap out sequels, it has to be fear :(
two sequels is 'constantly craping out sequels' now?

okay.

hey, i'd love another NOLF too, but FEAR is only going to be getting one more sequel than Blood, NOLF and Condemned got... and that doesn't mean that their other team isn't working on a sequel to one of their other franchises.

Top Bottom