• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Oh god it's so hot, I'm melting

Matched with someone on Tinder and we messaged back and forth and now I don't know what to do

I'm just going to play #FE and ignore it.

Edit:

Also bought It Follows on bluray, I'mma watch it tonight
Also what I am doing today. It is soooo fucking good.

jb1234

There you are, jb. How are things?

Horrible.

Most of them are getting married or having kids now. And that's fine. Really happy for them. I was on track to be that guy about a year ago and I won't go into why it didn't but I'm in such a different place of life right now it's difficult to relate these days. It's also kind of a reminder of what could have happened for me :/

Do what I do and befriend people younger. Most of my best friends are in their mid-20s. People tend to phase out of my life once they get married and/or have kids. Just not as much time to maintain close friendships.

zeemumu

Maybe both?

Most of them are getting married or having kids now. And that's fine. Really happy for them. I was on track to be that guy about a year ago and I won't go into why it didn't but I'm in such a different place of life right now it's difficult to relate these days. It's also kind of a reminder of what could have happened for me :/

So you want to start over because you feel like you're behind in your life compared to all of your friends? I don't think that's a good reason to ditch them. The rational advice is that you should compare your life to theirs but that's far easier said than done. What you need is your own thing to concern yourself with so you don't feel the need to look at other people's lives and be upset over what could have been. A lot of things could have been that you aren't currently occupied with, so it IS possible for the things that they're doing to not affect you anymore. If you really need to, take some time off from your friends and go out to try and pick up some new interests, but don't ditch them outright.

I know how it feels to look at other people as a reminder of things that didn't work out, though. A good chunk of my friends are also getting married/already married and are having kids, and if everything had worked out, I would have graduated this year, but I'm late on it so I've been watching while most of my other friends post graduation pictures and whatnot. I enjoy hanging out with my best friend but every time we do I'm automatically a third wheel, so that's probably a reminder of being single. But I also know that if I keep concerning myself with what everyone else is doing I'm going to go insane.

zeemumu

It Follows is okay but it falls apart towards the end.

I didn't really care much for the protagonist and she actively got several people killed to stall for time.

And I don't know if this was a simple solution, but why not lure it somewhere with witnesses and flour bomb it? It doesn't really care if other people are aware of its existence. I think at least a few people would take notice if you yelled "Help! invisible monster!" and there was a partially flour-bombed invisible figure there. I know that would mess up the symbolism but it's still a solution in the context of the film. It's not a ghost. Physical damage can slow it down and it's bound to physical space so no walking through walls.

And the ending felt a little...cobbled together. It doesn't really end. It just stops.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
To be fair, they wouldn't outright reject it, I just got about the type of "ribbing" and ball busting I expected. I don't really care. I'm just a guy who likes neat colors. This is reflected in my art and my clothes and my room so why not my nails? I don't get it. I don't consider it a statement on masculinity or femininity.

Ahh, so it was more of the friendly ball busting then?

---

Pretty sure that everyone in Boston is here for graduate school, law, or biomedical work.

FloatOn

So you want to start over because you feel like you're behind in your life compared to all of your friends? I don't think that's a good reason to ditch them. The rational advice is that you should compare your life to theirs but that's far easier said than done. What you need is your own thing to concern yourself with so you don't feel the need to look at other people's lives and be upset over what could have been. A lot of things could have been that you aren't currently occupied with, so it IS possible for the things that they're doing to not affect you anymore. If you really need to, take some time off from your friends and go out to try and pick up some new interests, but don't ditch them outright.

I know how it feels to look at other people as a reminder of things that didn't work out, though. A good chunk of my friends are also getting married/already married and are having kids, and if everything had worked out, I would have graduated this year, but I'm late on it so I've been watching while most of my other friends post graduation pictures and whatnot. I enjoy hanging out with my best friend but every time we do I'm automatically a third wheel, so that's probably a reminder of being single. But I also know that if I keep concerning myself with what everyone else is doing I'm going to go insane.

This is good. Thanks.

I wasn't going to ditch anyone, I just think it would be nice to hang with people that are in a similar place of life.

pXc0U6F.jpg

zeemumu

This is good. Thanks.

I wasn't going to ditch anyone, I just think it would be nice to hang with people that are in a similar place of life.

I think that's fine, but I don't think a full reset is necessary. Ditching people is usually implied with the reset, and it's not really something I would recommend unless your friends are monsters, but taking some temporary time away from someone is fine. I even do that here from time to time. I can't relate to half the shit in here (and I'm also one of the youngest in here, which doesn't help), but it's fine. I'm working on my own stuff...
tumblr_inline_mny90eVWds1qz4rgp.gif

As a side note I've found that having a ton of motivation and nowhere to point it is almost as frustrating as having a destination but no motivation to reach it (if not more frustrating).

jb1234

I think that's fine, but I don't think a full reset is necessary. Ditching people is usually implied with the reset, and it's not really something I would recommend unless your friends are monsters, but taking some temporary time away from someone is fine. I even do that here from time to time. I can't relate to half the shit in here (and I'm also one of the youngest in here, which doesn't help), but it's fine. I'm working on my own stuff...
tumblr_inline_mny90eVWds1qz4rgp.gif

I agree with this. I don't think there's any reason to bail from a friend unless they are toxic (and even then, it needs to be considered where that person is in their life, if you're close to them, if they need your help, etc.). But people do come and go and these friends you feel disconnected with now may end up being a crucial part of your social network in later years (especially after the kids have grown up).

Misha

Banned
theres a transgender thread that's actually going really well (besides one asshole). which dimension is this?

now it looks like its going to get derailed. oh well was nice while it lasted

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I painted my nails with a really old nail polish and regretted it as soon as I started but finished it for the lols. I looked like I pushed my fingers up someone's anus and then sprayed a glossy coat on top of them before removing it.
KuGsj.gif

I need nail polishes but I think my parents would actually jump out if they saw that on me.

I'll do it for you guys

Review this one
909ef786f1.png

Jobbs

Banned
Running microwaves make me nervous af. I always feel like they're about to explode for some reason. If I'm running it for 2 minutes or more I clear the room.

The author is pretty legit but I don't think I'll join the FakeGAF reading club. :p

How is there already a book about this thing that was voted on yesterday? What am I missing?

Misha

Banned
Running microwaves make me nervous af. I always feel like they're about to explode for some reason. If I'm running it for 2 minutes or more I clear the room.

How is there already a book about this thing that was voted on yesterday? What am I missing?

It was published yesterday. My guess is as soon as it looked likely they were going to leave he just sat down and wrote that to express his disgust. Probably would be grammatical errors and such

Also
51+3x9k82mL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg

MutFox

Banned
I have a sealed copy of Killer 7 for the Gamecube... :p
Borrowed a friends version when I played it, but wanted my own copy.
(It was in a bargain bin...)

Always thought a remake on the Wii would have been awesome.
Basically making it an adventure lightgun game.

Killer 7 is so fucking good. I'm a huge Suda51 mark though,

I love the idea of Killer 7, I really do!

But Suda51 is either a very creative person and cannot write a coherent story or I will never be smart enough to understand what the hell he's writing, I really can't tell either way!

Also, I can't grammar worth a gud shit! I SWEAR I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL, I UNDERSTAND ENGLISH AND BASIC SENTENCE COMPOSITION! FML.

WHAT

HOW QUICK IS THIS GUY

FUCK HIM

I'm not jealous I didn't think of it or anything.Also that recent addition of "hugo nominated". Thank for nothing, Vox Day.
That's it, imma writing mah novel.

(also, he's getting Zoe Quinn - I think that's her name? - to receive it in his stead. Which is both awesome and avoids awkwardness on his account. It could be an alias of former gaf-member Sirap btw, but he was serious minded, whereas Tingle don't give a fuck)

I have a sealed copy of Killer 7 for the Gamecube... :p
Borrowed a friends version when I played it, but wanted my own copy.
(It was in a bargain bin...)

Always thought a remake on the Wii would have been awesome.
Basically making it an adventure lightgun game.

If it had been Coyote/Masked Wrestler Co-Op game, it would've been GOAT

Jobbs

Banned
How about SWERY?

Never played his stuff. I was curious about Deadly Premonition at one time but ultimately it didn't look interesting enough.

i"m feeling compelled to either play Don't Starve or Bloodborne, whose DLC I still haven't finished

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Had swordfish for dinner. Was good.

jb1234

I'm being lured to go out into Pride this evening. I'll probably do it. I'm not feeling well. And it's kinda cold out.

Not a fan of Suda. I don't get his stuff at all.

I believe it's commentary on gamers, mostly.

The EDGE review of No More Heroes suggested that the game takes just a bit too long on its chores, as if to show disdain for gaming tropes. Shadows of the Damned was far more obvious in its "gamers suck" commentary though. That "big boner" stuff? That's about the kind of people that play those games, not the game wanting to be that way.

It does pay that all that SHIT off in a good way though. The ending reveals
that the overzealous masculine macho aspects of Garcia Hotspur - what's in a name, eh?- are basically a façade he puts up to deal with the fact that he is in perpetual cycle of psychological torture in hell, for the love of the devil's 'claimed' woman (who actually has an interesting backstory once you realize who she is). It doesn't change the fact that he can't read good though, which is kind of a gamer thing too since spending time on one thing takes time out of another, like study or reading. Keep in mind the creators are Japanese and 'wasting time on useless crap' may hold a larger stigma socially to them than elsewhere.

It's not a good game per se, and shares far too many gameplay things with Alice: Madness Returns (they were both published under the EA Partners flag, and managed by the same guy too, as per credits), but it interesting commentary if you see it that way. I did, of course, but nobody else seems to have done that and doesn't look past the barrage of dick jokes. And it is a barrage btw. Spared no expense on that aspect.

Alice 2 (MR) also had a heavy point at the end of it btw, and similarly made its presentation part of the story's point, but in a more perverse and subtle way. If you played it, and noticed there is only one DLC for it (take note of that fact), you already know what that is. It was classy.

I believe it's commentary on gamers, mostly.

The EDGE review of No More Heroes suggested that the game takes just a bit too long on its chores, as if to show disdain for gaming tropes. Shadows of the Damned was far more obvious in its "gamers suck" commentary though. That "big boner" stuff? That's about the kind of people that play those games, not the game wanting to be that way.

It does pay that all that SHIT off in a good way though. The ending reveals
that the overzealous masculine macho aspects of Garcia Hotspur - what's in a name, eh?- are basically a façade he puts up to deal with the fact that he is in perpetual cycle of psychological torture in hell, for the love of the devil's 'claimed' woman (who actually has an interesting backstory once you realize who she is). It doesn't change the fact that he can't read good though, which is kind of a gamer thing too since spending time on one thing takes time out of another, like study or reading. Keep in mind the creators are Japanese and 'wasting time on useless crap' may hold a larger stigma socially to them than elsewhere.

HOLY CRAP @ that SotD spoiler *SCREAMING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom