• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the first 4 episodes of Steins;Gate since I gave up on waiting for a translation of the VN. Find it extremely enjoyable so far, actually had to stop from continuing since I want to get some sleep. It's also much funnier than I expected it to be, though I assume that will change later.

But there is already a complete translation of the VN out there.

fertygo

Watched the first 4 episodes of Steins;Gate since I gave up on waiting for a translation of the VN. Find it extremely enjoyable so far, actually had to stop from continuing since I want to get some sleep. It's also much funnier than I expected it to be, though I assume that will change later.

I thought the fan translation for the VN already finished.

Pirabear

Banned
...Huh, well I guess I'll run through it too eventually. I probably won't be able to sink time into a VN until the holidays anyway.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zetsuen no Tempest 01

I'm absolutely hyped based on what I've seen. They show just enough action and just enough details and just enough of the characters to get you immediately hooked. Everyone that's presented has this mysterious aura with the exception of the yellow-haired bad boy. I'm surprised at how good this show looks. Everything looks solid and the action specifically stood out as a highlight. Cinematography is exceptional and if there's anything bad I have to say about it is that the script is rather cheezy. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Gintama 110

dj52R.jpg

A simple story about a basketball? rivalry between two girls that sparks um competitive spirit?

Stoof

Decided to start on Gintama today based off all the impressions in the thread. It's going to take a while but I'm positive it'll be worth it. :p

Nafe

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 26

9e7es.jpg

The size difference here was actually kind of cool to see

Yay! A Sonia focused episode! I've liked her since the first episode she appeared. I always seem to be late to the episodes that feature her. I wasn't sure who was voicing her initially before but this episode when it shows the back-story when she was younger you can immediately tell it's Aya Hisakawa as she's pretty much using her Ami from Sailor Moon type voice.

With the other characters getting some back-story I was hoping more would be shown for her. Along the lines of what happened to Eden I wondered
if it would show that she too maybe wasn't so bad even though she's working with Mars and that possibly she might even join the group or at least assist them. I don't really want any relationships developing between her and Shouma though personally.

Regarding what happened at the end, I've only seen a little bit of the original Saint Seiya and it was years ago so I don't really remember much so that revelation, if true, I wondered if it breaks any kind of preconceptions others who have seen the original series might have had. As essentially more of a new comer to the series, I wasn't super shocked about it pretty much for the exact reasons as Andrew J. already pointed out regarding the elements and others things such as 7Th mentioning the eye catch or the back-story regarding
Kouga and Aria.
For me it was more of a "oh okay, so that's how they're going to do it, huh?" instead of a "No way!"

At the end of the last episode, that was
a statue of Medusa right? The way they focused on it I wondered if it would have some larger part. In Greek mythology Medusa has strong ties to Athena and Pegasus. Pegasus was essentially born out of Medusa so if it represents something to do with the element of darkness, the revelation, if true and not just messing with Kouga, would make more sense. I'm not sure how closely the show will follow any of that though as far as what I've seen so far, things such as that seem kind of loose or not really focused on.

All in all, I liked this episode and look forward to the next, which supposedly Yoshihiko Umakoshi is involved in. One more Sonia pic as I like her so much. :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Why are you such a 'staff whore'?
'cause hiroyuki yoshino has never in his career written a show that can be qualified as remotely good and more often than not his writing veers into the downright offensive and utterly distasteful?

fertygo

Magi's a adaptation tho, someone (or everyone) gonna call me for this. But Accel World is a good example of Yoshino's competency (lololol)

The story is horrible, sure but that's the source problem. but what should be noticed they adapt 4 (or 5) volume of the novel with nice structure and even can add that little arc in ep 19-20 (that from much later volume IIRC) to told chronologically. Out all of the problem in AW, pacing and series structuring was never one of it.

So I'm not that negative for Yoshino's involvement in Magi. Will be nice if he can get it done again, because Magi's anime supposed to cover quite far in just 2 cour.

ok time to run lol

duckroll

The Ufotable x Starchild announcement is a new theatrical anime for 2013 - Majokko Classical. It's a mahou shoujo anime about sisters apparently. The official site is supposed to be http://majocco.jp/ but it's not active yet.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
'cause hiroyuki yoshino has never in his career written a show that can be qualified as remotely good and more often than not his writing veers into the downright offensive and utterly distasteful?
I don't get how his writing is going be a problem for Magi considering it's a adaptation to begin with. I mean Mari Okada wrote the anime adaptation of Wandering Son after all.

Joule

Hidamari Sketch Honeycomb 1:
12gCB.jpg

A familiar scene from the opening of volume 2 of the manga. They repurposed it with an additional Nori/Nazuna bit as these two weren't around before. I could swear that Shaft had already used this before but I guess I'm mistaken. A good bit to return to the series on regardless.
This is some Hidamari Sketch alright. The new OP song feels a little lacking. Not 'Hidamari' enough for me if that makes any sense. The various cuts from the manga I find more amusing than prior seasons (probably because I know what fun is coming along). The ED though is lovely and the song by Marble is a good listen. The music in the episode features some of the same good tunes and the new stuff quite nice too.

5kJ4q.jpg

Nori for President 2012.
The visuals look about as good as it did Hoshimittsu. Not much to say about it other than the blue tint during the latter half of the episode with Sae and Hiro's trip during some scenes. Reminded me of all the talk of K's blue filters. The series staple of dotted patterns made its mark all over the episode (seemed to me like it was even more prevalent than usual). Animation is the same old thing which is fine. It's not really a series that facilitates much animation but I do hope to see something akin to x365's opening episode again.

So this episode featured chapters from volume 5 where Sae and Hiro are heading for their school trip to Hokkaido. It goes about their preparations for the trip and parts of the trip itself in the B part. This event in particular launches a platform for Yuno and Miyako to be the senpai of the Hidamari Apartments while Hiro and Sae are away.

GdQ9J.jpg

I've consulted with an expert. Shaft needs to step up their scarf tier list - Solune
They adapted this part pretty much one for one with a little additional content. The cooking help bit with Yuno and Nazuna/Nori was extended some which was nice to show more Yuno trying to take on the role of the elder to Nazuna and Nori. Also more bath scenes of course. There was one joke that I think fell a bit flat though. When the girls were talking about their prior school trips and Nazuna says she went to an amusement park, Nori's response felt a little weak. I thought it was pretty funny in manga because Nori was isolated in one panel with those judging eyes. I think a school trip to the amusement park is totally legit though. Nori too jelly (but this sets up some fun in a later chapter). All the other gags were well done I think. Miyako Dash! Natsume being Natsume. Principal being Principal. Yoshinoya being Yoshinoya. Dem squeaky slippers.

All in all, good first episode of an already consistent series. The next episode should feature the second half of the Hokkaido trip as well as Yuno's further attempts at being senpai-like.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SSY 2: More interesting than quidditch.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've been on a huge anime binge lately. Watched more anime in the past two or three months than I have in the past four or five years. So far I've gone through Nichijou, Madoka, Usagi Drop, Humanity Has Declined, and I've just started Nyarko-san. Thus far I've really enjoyed them all, especially Nichijou. And being a Kamen Rider fan, I can already tell I'm going to love Nyarko-san.

Risette

A Good Citizen
How can I properly respect SHAFT-style animation without blatant asset reuse from 2008?
The "Art Dept." sign and the mini-ep title format, among other things, date back just as far, but blend in better by modern standards.
I'll have you know that I find any sort of overlays more offensive than even the worst font!
I've been on a huge anime binge lately. Watched more anime in the past two or three months than I have in the past four or five years. So far I've gone through Nichijou, Madoka, Usagi Drop, Humanity Has Declined, and I've just started Nyarko-san. Thus far I've really enjoyed them all, especially Nichijou. And being a Kamen Rider fan, I can already tell I'm going to love Nyarko-san.

Watch Hyouka and Tsuritama

Ultimadrago

Welcome brethren...

First, drop Nyarko-san.

Then

Watch Hyouka and Tsuritama

do this!

Five Star Stories

This felt like the prologue to a much larger story, which I suppose it is. It kind of worked as a stand-alone piece, having the normal structure of setup, climax, denouement, yet at the same time the character motivations and the societal structure were a bit murky due to not being able to fully situate this in its context. Thus it was difficult for me to get invested in the plight of these characters, although at the same time my curiosity was piqued to examine the manga and see what happens to them beyond this piece.

The real standout of this film is without question the visuals. There's a lot of detail that's been put into realizing the look of the desert sci-fi setting and the characters' bodies and clothing, which greatly helps in making the world believable. The animation is really lavish, especially with all the attention it pays to lovingly blowing flowing hair in the breeze. Most of this animation is spent on the characters; despite being a setting focused around mecha and mecha pilots, there's not a lot of mecha action or even much screentime outside the final bit. It doesn't appear that Gothicmade will have the same level of animation as this, but hopefully it spends more time with its fabulous mecha than Five Star Stories spent with the similar looking gold mecha. I really do love Nagano's mecha designs.

I must say, I've seen a lot of bishounen in my time of watching anime, and there were quite a few to be found here, but Sopp is really pushing it:

At least it's acknowledged in-universe:

It's an adaptation being supervised by the original author herself. You won't have to worry.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Welcome brethren...

First, drop Nyarko-san.

Then

do this!

Haha, nah, I'm sticking with Nyarko-san. Even if only due to all the references, I loved the first episode. And it's only 12 episodes, so it's not a huge commitment.

Went ahead and added Tsuritama to my CR queue, though. Definitely looks good, and unless I find something I want to watch more before I finish Nyarko-san, it'll be next on my list. Hyouka I can't seem to find on CR or Hulu, though.

Jex

To clarify, I wasn't being entirely serious.
Age of Empires 1 in-engine cutscenes.

Amusingly enough Total Wars games certainly have better character animation than Kingdom. But are they nearly as memorable? No.

Soma

Shinsekai Yori Episode 02

ibg8ySLaxTtbqV.jpg
ibwOOPqZPboGV.jpg

Her hair is really cute like that.

Anyhow pretty solid episode. Definitely more straightforward than the previous one in terms of structure and storytelling. Lots of foreboding and potential foreshadowing in those last few lines of dialogue. I like that the show is taking its time to build up the mysterious nature of the world and the culture that these children are living in yet still keeping that unsettling atmosphere.
With the story reciting in the first half of the episode and the seemingly lack of urgency with the disappearing children, I get a slight Brave New World vibe from this story so far in that it feels like there's definitely something larger in the background pulling the strings, so to speak.
Seeing the children
interact with the rat creatures
was also interesting to see too.

Grzi

K - 01

Since the show seems to rely on style so much it's pretty sad they chose to use these crappy filters to absolutely destroy the colors and make me enjoy the (pretty good) animation much less than I normally would. It's like they decided to make a show that caters to the parts of the otaku culture that are into making anime wallpapers, because almost every single scene definitely looked like an ugly anime wallpaper.
Too bad, since the actual art was pretty nice (and consistent) even if the actual designs leave something to be desired.

Other than that, yeah, this was a show that's meant to be cool and hip and have lots of pretty dudes do cool stuff (cool as in what 13 year old kids consider cool) so I guess it delivered on that part.

I enjoyed some of the music tracks though.

I'll continue watching but will probably drop whenever the inevitable drop in animation quality happens.

fertygo

K - 01

I'll continue watching but will probably drop whenever the inevitable drop in animation quality happens.

Well I need friend to goes through this :(

Friggin' shame, there is some really nice crowd animation too.. ep2 also look dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom