• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
A new Fallout with the same junk animations for me is disappointing in the same that will be if the new Gran Turismo launches with the vacuum cleaner sounds

I love fallout and im sure I'll love this one, but I seriously hope its the last bethesda game with gamebro engine. The animations are not acceptable for a 2015 AAA title. They will certainly have an effect on my immersion

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I suppose there is no way of really knowing, but is gamebryo like the only engine that works with Bethesda games? You know massive open world / pretty much every item has physics / modable?

A lot of people seem to be implying they are lazy not switching to something new like idTech just wondering if that is even possible with Fallout 4 being the massive game, that I assume it is.

Gamebryo wasn't made with Bethesda's games in mind. They probably retooled a lot of it to suit their needs.
Maybe they don't want to spend money to turn a new engine (like say, UE4) in a more "Bethesda's friendly" engine.

But I don't think Gamebryo is the ONLY engine that can do Fallout and TES.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I suppose there is no way of really knowing, but is gamebryo like the only engine that works with Bethesda games? You know massive open world / pretty much every item has physics / modable?

A lot of people seem to be implying they are lazy not switching to something new like idTech just wondering if that is even possible with Fallout 4 being the massive game, that I assume it is.

Pretty much anyone other than Bethesda cant answer that question. Even if it is a good one.

cripterion

Imagine a Fallout 4 built with the Rage engine:

nws_Rage2.jpg

I assumed that was why they bought Id tbh...

Rage engine also has plenty of downsides. Fucking thing can't even handle SLI :/

eH6VMGD.png

this guy works in the game industry?

I agree with him whether or not he's in the industry and I'm huge on having games that look next gen if possible. Rather open world or not, but in this case i kind of don't care as long as it plays well and looks better then fallout 3.

Dad

Did I fall into the universe where Fallout 3 had cutting edge visuals? I'm probably misremembering a lot about Morrowind and Oblivion, but I definitely remember them getting shit for their character models and animations even back around their respective releases. After rewatching the Skyrim reveal trailer, I'll admit to being wrong about that one though. Mods have just spoiled me.

Sotha_Sil

Shit, I thought that looked great. GAF tells me it's an ugly POS. Le sigh.

I love that they're putting more color into the wasteland. Bethesda, you have learned at least this one lesson, thank you.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Interesting static set pieces devoid of life.

What? Few games feel more alive than Oblivion/Skyrim. Radiant AI despite its shortcomings made the world feel like a real place. NPC's eating, sleeping, playing, hunting, farming, visiting friends in other towns, stealing, fighting, etc.

It all felt very organic and dynamic.

Only game to touch it in that category has been the Wild Hunt. Fable came close to feeling as organic, but interaction with the world was too low.

Lakitu

st5fu
Insulting others for not having as much blind hype as you indicates the existence of a circlejerk, yup.

I don't see any personal insults.... but yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion and own thoughts of the game. Unless they're a blatant troll, like earlier in the thread.

Warablo

This is all because of gamebryo.

Some people in here don't realise that the engine is the limiting factor in most of these issues,
The art style and the quality of whats in this game is great!
but its how its rendered that makes it not shine like it could.
They are making a great game within a dated engine.

The problem with gamebryo is not just lighting and other rendering issues,
but that it also hinders the gameplay.
The game will play like fallout 3 did and skyrim does, it will be stiff and samey, but thats all they can do with the engine.

look at unreal 4 and id Tech 6. so many great engines out there but it would be too expensive to move to a new one. same thing happens with CoD.
They keep the same engine and add some new jazz to it.

The reason PC mods can make this engine look way better is because they don't need to work on console,
They can throw as much ram at the issue as they want. They can add effect onto effect and have your PC deal with it.

Pretty much,

I just hope with next-gen they can add and make things feel better, so we don't feel like were playing old Skyrim/New Vegas.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It does look like Gamebryo, but I'm going to laugh my ass off (and then cry a bit) if it turns out that they are using some custom made engine.

howardheader.jpg

We decided to remove the character creator and replace it with a set-in-stone character (you can change his hair color though) in order to have a more focused narrative.

Narrative, that's what Fallout 4 is all about. You know, we want to make the player connect to the character he's playing and that can only happen if he actually speaks and doesn't just act as a dead vessel.

When we worked on Fallout 3 the whole "RPG-system" was something we did out of obligation, it's a Fallout game afterall. But what were were really interested in is the story, it's story-driven games that people want to see, it was always our vision for the franchise

We've always witnessed players become frustrated when they find a new weapon or see a special dialog option appear but they can't use it because they don't have the required stats.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L was an archaic system really, a dinosaur left over from a time when games played like a spreadsheet.

We want you to have fun without having to look up a strategy guide or pull out a calculator, so we nixed it.

There's still skills of course, we wouldn't want to abandon the RPG roots! But they now increase as you use them, so the system is more organic now. Your character adapts for what you use and what you need, and not for what you think you'll need from a random guess

statham

Morrowind looked like shit.

Oblivion looked like shit.

Fallout 3 looked like shit.

Skyrim looked like shit.

Fallout 4 looks like shit.

I don't know why some of you are acting so shocked given Bethesda's track record of shittastic visuals. Buy it during a Steam sale and mod it to hell and back if you're that indignant about it. It's just par for the course with Bethesda.
Had to look up one of the old Fallout 3 threads,like this thread, lots of fighting about graphics
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233008&page=5

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Why did you come to this conclusion?

The game being current gen only means they should definitely be able to move beyond the loading cell interior/exterior/city/wild format of the past.

I am expecting a seamless world with no loading. Much like Wild Hunt. And have been since before Wild Hunt was announced.

Anything less would be a massive disappointment. But unless you have some sort of evidence to the contrary? And seeing as you can see through windows and doors in the trailer, it looks to be seamless. At least more so than the past.

What?

Morrowind looked amazing at the time, and had some of the best water in existence.
The multiple layer sky blew me away at the time. I got so lost in that world.

The reception was more like this:

Morrowind was on of the first games with pixelshaders. It was pretty great for 2001.

Oblivion was one of the first nextgen games and looked quite stunning at release.

Fallout 3 was oblivion with guns.

And Skyrim impressed by how much it improved over Oblivion.
This is how I remember things too.

This is what they showed, so people are going to talk about what was shown. The amount of people complaining about other people complaining is laughable.

I'm not complaining about peeps complaining. I proposing a question. To answer my own question I will say that it was a bad question. I should have asked, was Bethesda better off waiting? And I think they were. The gameplay aspect of a demo would have prevented such a focus on the possibly negative aspects of the graphics. People will be going into the demo with an agenda now. In the end it probably doesn't matter. Game will sell crazy good. Showing CG, as people expected, would at least save the community managers and artists/devs some short term stress. I think we need a better quality trailer, or I need to see it before I can do stuff.

Shit here I am thinking this game looks amazing (for a fallout game) and being all hyped. I mean sure this game would never win any awards for "best looking" but I much rather have a game with more dated graphics that I will eventually be able to mod to hell and back and play for years then some graphic showcase that I'd play a few times and move on from.

Skyrim looked like shit.

I don't know why some of you are acting so shocked given Bethesda's track record of shittastic visuals. Buy it during a Steam sale and mod it to hell and back if you're that indignant about it. It's just par for the course with Bethesda.
Fucking lol.

Morrowind was insane for an open world 2002 title and Oblivion, while having a garbage art style, was a big bump technically over Morrowind and it was shy of a 4 year gap between the 2 games.

statham

Skyrim looked like shit.

Had to look up one of the old Fallout 3 threads,like this thread, lots of fighting about graphics
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233008

Honestly I'd rather they put more development time into fleshing out the world and adding more detail and nuance to their already large scope than pump tons of money into shiny assets and fancy engines. It looks fine as is, doesn't need to look super duper great.

Compare and contrast with the GAF thread from the first gameplay footage of Skyrim:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422670

I see a lot of people impressed there.

This whole "Skyrim always looked like crap" idea is definitely news to me.

People were impressed by Skyrim's improvement over Oblivion, but there was definitely a pre-release period where people started to temper their expectations:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438253

Doesn't look that impressive at all.

The game is looking uglier and uglier. Still not ugly, but :lol at this looking anything like the bullshots and trailers.

Hopefully the PC version will look a lot better.

The textures look a bit funky, but it's obvious improvement over the previous games.

RDR looks better.

Hope those high res texture artists have November free.

Yeah, especially the interiors. It looks more and more like Oblivion

Wait for the modders to get their hands on it =D

Art is considerably better than Oblivion, but I feel like I won't really see this until it's running on my PC.

I don't get much out of those squished shots.

The lighting is a little disappointing. Everything is so clearly lit.

The first shot seems the most impressive to me with the shadows. The second shot, though, reminds me of Fallout 3's brownish color palette and the fourth screenshot seems like as if Oblivion's promotional character model was photoshopped in.

I'm hoping the PC version ships with higher-res textures at the very least.

The lighting is good in the outdoors, but in the indoors it's fucking bland.
Waiting for the inevitable "realistic interiors" mod.

Looks so gamebryo.

The guy's hand is clipping through the axe's handle. :p

What about the urn in the left corner. What the heck is going on there!

This looks fucking terrible from a graphics stand point.

Very sceptical about this game, couldn't really get into Oblivion and Gamebyro is so ugly at this point of the gen.

Reminds me of a high res Morrowind mod.

This looks great for a console game but if those textures dont get better for the pc I will not be buying. Perfect example of why I dont play many console games any more. Graphics are a mix of real looking and terrible.

EDIT: Nvm this doesnt even look great for a console game.

The game has a very Fallout 3 look to it.. and I hated Fallout 3 and New Vegas because it just looked extremely muddy and flat. I had a hard time playing the game because it just looked so strange to me. I hope this will look a bit better than Fallout 3, but right now it just looks way to similar, and that is really killing the hype for this game.

I'll play it regardless and probably absolutely love it, but the more I see it, the more I get a little annoyed with the visuals. Hell, maybe it the complete lack of colour. Oblivion was gorgeous because it was so colourful... this just has the same brown and grey filter that Fallout 3 had. More colour, Bethesda.. please!?

Hideous, show the PC version ffs. At least the art looks better than Oblivion though, I guess.

Looks disappointingly more like Oblivion than the previous media they have released since they announced Skyrim.

Outdoors looks nice, but indoors are kind of awful.

Holy shit what is going on with the lighting in these pictures.

Uh... What the hell is this? Hopefully a joke of some sort. Witcher 2 blows this out of the water.

Honeymoon's over :/

interiors look awful, too much light

Seeing these right after a Witcher 2 session... :(

Bethesda games = let the mod community take the game to where it needs to be. As much as I'd love to buy this out the gate, it'd probably be best for me to wait a couple of years until the mod community significantly improves the game.

Yikes.

/bailsout

Probably will look better in motion, there isn't a lot of lighting effect though, seems to look really bright indoors even if it's just a few candles.

Where did the lighting and shadows go? The caves looked much better in the E3 trailer.

This looks awful.

I believe this will be better in motion .

It'll look really great once it's modded to the nines. Bit hard to look at after just playing Witcher 2.

There is definitively something different between these screenshots and what we have seen before.

Looks pretty rough. Fortunately, I'm in it for the gameplay.

I don't want Witcher 2 graphics but this just looks plain ugly. Oh well, I'll pick up the GOTY anyway, should be some good mods around by then.

Welp, those pics were an unpleasant surprise.

Those are 360 screens though arent they? Hasnt all the media released been on 360? Such as the E3 demos etc?

Either way they look like garbage. But fuck it, if I can play Oblivion I can play this (and love it).

Every time they release any media for this game, it just gets worse and worse.

Now we have this completely bland looking thing with terrible lighting, low-res textures and a complete lack of visual effects. This looks like Oblivion to me? Why did the game look so much better when they announced it.

Hopefully it's 360 screenshots, then they are semi-excused.

Nothing some lighting and texture mods won't fix - something like this was to be expected. And no way Bethesda'll bother with higher textures on PC, they haven't in the past.

Oh god the textures. And what's with the complete lack of lighting in some of those shots? Are they really old or something? Doesn't match up with the other screens they showed off early in development. Were they bullshots?

Ugh, time for a new console generation

I don't get it. The 360 version has looked great in motion, but these look...well, odd. Color me confused.

I still think these look fine, but not as pretty as the media they've previously put out.

Those textures sure are eye-catching.

Sort of my thoughts as well. Looks ugly.

Bethesda's hype train will once again make this game sell like hotcakes, though, and people will look over all of the issues.

I hope to hell these weren't taken at max graphical settings, or that they were taken on a 360. In this day and age its almost unacceptable. It looks pretty similar to oblivion. I'm just going to blame the Russians for this one :p

I very much look forward to playing this game sometime in 2013.

These are just from the first page.

Why did you come to this conclusion?

The game being current gen only means they should definitely be able to move beyond the loading cell interior/exterior/city/wild format of the past.

I am expecting a seamless world with no loading. Much like Wild Hunt. And have been since before Wild Hunt was announced.

Anything less would be a massive disappointment. But unless you have some sort of evidence to the contrary?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah, I do. Gamebyro.

Dennis

Banned

Skyrim looked like shit.

Dad, I am disappoint.

a916

Skyrim looked like shit.

Can't speak for the first 2 because I can't remember their contemporaries, but yeah, that's correct.

I kinda expected worse knowing Bethesda's track record. They got a real solid art direction and got rid of that awful bloom from their earlier games.

Teletraan1

Banned
I think people continue to play these games well after release so the graphics seem really dated in your minds eye because you were playing them when better looking games came out. At release most of the Bethesda games were decent looking for the scope of the game. I always found the modern fallout games to be a bit of a cut below TES series in both graphics and polish although the setting does lend a bit to the general ugliness.

Top Bottom