• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

I'm not complaining about peeps complaining. I proposing a question. To answer my own question I will say that it was a bad question. I should have asked, was Bethesda better off waiting? And I think they were. The gameplay aspect of a demo would have prevented such a focus on the possibly negative aspects of the graphics. People will be going into the demo with an agenda now. In the end it probably doesn't matter. Game will sell crazy good. Showing CG, as people expected, would at least save the community managers and artists/devs some short term stress. I think we need a better quality trailer, or I need to see it before I can do stuff.

I'd say they'd have been fucked either way. Release a CGI trailer, people complain about no gameplay. Show nice-looking but notgonnahappen gameplay (e.g. Witcher 3), you're delaying the inevitable shitstorm. Show real gameplay (well, presumably) that doesn't look too hot, people are gonna criticize it.

All the post apocalypse stuff in the trailer looked pretty damn good to me, only thing that looks bad to me is the animation. People are really over reacting.

Par Score

Morrowind looked like shit.

Oblivion looked like shit.

Fallout 3 looked like shit.

Skyrim looked like shit.

Fallout 4 looks like shit.

I don't know why some of you are acting so shocked given Bethesda's track record of shittastic visuals. Buy it during a Steam sale and mod it to hell and back if you're that indignant about it. It's just par for the course with Bethesda.

Morrowind was an absolute graphics beast when it came out, it looked utterly fucking incredible at the time considering it's scope.

Oblivion was the first game on 360 that made people sit up and say "holy shit, this is next gen!"

Fallout 3 was drab admittedly, but it was no slouch.

Skyrim looked great and was a clear step up from the now dated Oblivion.

Fallout 4 is the first Bethesda game I've looked at on announcement and thought it already looked disappointingly dated.

Philippo

howardheader.jpg

Thumbs up for the story-driven, talking protagonist thing, hope they learn from the best aka TW3.

Nordicus

People were impressed by Skyrim's improvement over Oblivion, but there was definitely a pre-release period where people started to temper their expectations:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438253
I find it funny to find mentions of Witcher 2 in there, though the game did release earlier the same year. History repeating itself, CDProjekt game still fresh in people's memory as a trailer for a Bethesda game comes out.

What's next, Elder Scrolls 6 as everyone's playing Cyberpunk 2077?

ironcreed

Banned
Some of yall are being really harsh with the graphics. Sims 2 comparisons, really? I mean, really?

It's almost like they forgot about the 50's campiness in the previous games. This has that same style, just with a bit more color and it looks all the better for it. Actually, I would say that it looks closer to New Vegas than Fallout 3.

Morrowind was an absolute graphics beast when it came out, it looked utterly fucking incredible at the time considering it's scope.

Oblivion was the first game on 360 that made people sit up and say "holy shit, this is next gen!"

Fallout 3 was drab admittedly, but it was no slouch.

Skyrim looked great and was a clear step up from the now dated Oblivion.

Fallout 4 is the first Bethesda game I've looked at on announcement and thought it already looked disappointingly dated.

THIS is accurate. Fact is compared to previous reveals this one, THIS ONE was just disappointing in terms of visuals. I mean goodness, how terrible in terms of visuals. Sure, modders will improve it but it shouldn't be their job to do what Bethesda pays it's employees to do. Terrible.

They haven't used Gamebryo since Fallout NV.

I know its cool to say otherwise. But Creation is no more Gambryo than Call of Duty Ghosts runs on the Quake II Engine.

Come at me bro.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha man drink that Bethesda juice dude. Slapping a new name on an old piece of shit doesn't change much other than to fool people like you.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
First reveal? PC. Always PC.

Nah. Too much aliasing.

Also, Skyrim was ALWAYS shown on a 360 pre launch. They said they were most proud of getting it to look that good on Console, and thought it most representative of what people would be playing.

You know, the way people always bitch about wanting it done? Bethesdoesit and everyone bitches.

I'd say they'd have been fucked either way. Release a CGI trailer, people complain about no gameplay. Show nice-looking but notgonnahappen gameplay (e.g. Witcher 3), you're delaying the inevitable shitstorm. Show real gameplay (well, presumably) that doesn't look too hot, people are gonna criticize it.
I think the right answer is to tease the new and expanded features for the series, and that can work out whether a trailer is CG or gameplay, though gameplay is better. Maybe they did some of that here but nothing really stands out.

Watching it again, this is more of a general concept trailer that also highlights the game's visuals and environments.

Trailer was underwhelming to be honest.

Setting unimpressive graphics aside...I'm more disappointed in other things. Like how they seem to be using the same engine.

No cloth physics. No weather physics. Not even creases on the character's clothes when they walk. I mean something like that was possible last gen.

And after that there's nothing...new? Like no standout landmarks imo. Fallout 3 had the huge broken bridge, and then the Washington obelisk..Rivet city, etc. There was one colorful town i saw in this one and thats it..everything else looks samey..like re-used assets even. No new creatures or items.

I do find it interesting that there's flashes of pre-apocalypse moments, wonder if gameplay will happen in that period. I think so, i hope so. And last but not least, the biggest factor..I really hope there's an entirely new and robust animations system.

Can't wait to see gameplay where hopefully we're shown some new mechanics, item, and etc.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha man drink that Bethesda juice dude. Slapping a new name on an old piece of shit doesn't change much other than to fool people like you.

You're right. Slapping a new name on it does not do much.

Good thing that is not all they did.

In the business of rewriting engines are we? Or are you just rehashing what you read on the internet?

Gammacide

After REALLY not liking F3, I just can't get at all excited for this. It just looks like more of what I've seen before and I have lost interest in. I love F1 and F2, but the new games don't work for me at all so this trailer just looks trite to me with the old song and the reimagined 50s future and such.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
A really talented game developer?

Not sure what you're getting at? Are you trying to make fun of the way he looks?
There was a fake interview quoted in that post that didnt show in my quote. i almost lost my shit because i can actually believe Todd Howard saying something like that. Thankfully it was fake though.

K.Sabot

They haven't used Gamebryo since Fallout NV.

I know its cool to say otherwise. But Creation is no more Gambryo than Call of Duty Ghosts runs on the Quake II Engine.

Come at me bro.

"Creation" engine had the same problems that gamebryo engine had before it.

Skyrim on PS3 vs New Vegas on PS3, both had the same save file issue.

they even had the gall to say it was "all new"

they were just bullshitting, it's gamebryo with a coat of paint over it.

Jomjom

Banned
Nah. Too much aliasing.

Also, Skyrim was ALWAYS shown on a 360 pre launch. They said they were most proud of getting it to look that good on Console, and thought it most representative of what people would be playing.

You know, the way people always bitch about wanting it done? Bethesdoesit and everyone bitches.

Hmm then i would guess PS4 then if they are going for what is representative of what most people will be playing.

You're right. Slapping a new name on it does not do much.

Good thing that is not all they did.

In the business of rewriting engines are we? Or are you just rehashing what you read on the internet?

Rewatch the running animation in the trailer at 1:20. its the same exact animation from Morrowind dude. It looks so stiff and robot like. People run for their lives they dont jog at a steady pace

HoodWinked

Gold Member
reason skyrim's visuals looked so much better was more because of better art rather than the tech. if you took baseline oblivion and added the assets from skyrim it would look a whole lot better as well.

fallout 4 visually looks dated and carmack had mentioned that when he was at zenimax that they dont ever want to build up from the ground again like they did for idtech4 so that influence probably carried over to bethesda.

fedexpeon

Banned
And fallouts gameplay has always been very sub par. I still love fallout but not for the gameplay at all.

Yeah, I am confused by his tweet as well.
FO and ES gameplay are all about the janky 1st person lifting object to steal stuff simulator and a little bit of point/click and aim shooting/swinging weapon.
And of course, there is no story/plot in these games. Lore though, I will give a nod to ES. It is decent enough.

Top Bottom