• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

But this post is not correct.
There is something like instancing. And draw calls counts mostly to visible objects on the screen.
3k draw calls is not a problem for any CPU.
I've done some draw call tests almost two years in CryEngine. Draw calls are under DP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrSpm2AZWVU

Dynamic or not wouldn't even affect draw calls in the first place. Any decent culling algorithm would not draw something that's not visible. Witcher 3's lighting is also far more dynamic, and it's environments react to movement. It's actually more expensive than anything Fallout 4 is doing in the trailer.

KKRT00

Not all engines instance, and I think the point he was getting at was more drawcalls are harder than less draw calls. Which was just one example of how making games with a finite power (consoles) is about give and take, compromises in some areas for the sake of other things. Which makes it super difficult to directly compare titles.

But even if You add 500 or 1000 objects to the scene the performance wont degrade much. And draw calls are CPU bottlenecks, not GPU.
Texture resolution, pixel and vertex shader performance, tessellation performance are not affected.

RPGCrazied

do you guys think we'll see more at E3?

i really hope so because the trailer only filled the glass half way

Lol, of course we will. That would be beyond odd to show it now, then show it again at E3 and thats it? Not likely, they even rented a theatre hall to show this off along with a couple other games.

Jarmel

Banned
NV looks like shit too but at least it's story, the gameworld and most of the characters motivations made sense. Fallout 3 was an incoherent mess.

Never forget:
Fallout+3+in+a+nutshell+i+love+fallout+3+but_a0523f_4197794.png

So I uhh... don't really see your point.

I really don't remember the story being that bad. When it's laid out there though, that's some atrocious writing right there.

shanafan

eH6VMGD.png

this guy works in the game industry?

Colin mentions a game's graphics as reasons for his opinions on his top 20 games of all-time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/colin-moriartys-top-25-games-of-all-time?page=4

No, what I loved most was the mood of fear and horror Konami somehow captured with 8-bit graphics and MIDI sounds.

It recaptured what made the original Zelda so great, but it did so much more with it, with a ton of dungeons, an emphasis on non-linearity, and stunningly beautiful graphics.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I really do think most people would.

Not fans of Bethesda games.

That interaction is a huge reason these RPG's are as popular as they are. Makes the world feel more real. And its the edge it had on Fable, Mass Effect, The Witcher, etc.

wowlace

Looks great to me. It's Fallout, I don't expect top of class graphics. It's all about the open land, atmosphere and setting. All present in this clip. I am HYPED!

I'm kinda surprised to read all the hate for the graphics to be honest. Considering how much GAF hates downgrades. My conclusion, GAF doesn't know what it wants.

joecanada

Bethesda just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about post-apocalyptic graphics (I'm an expert), but polycount and textures are huge parts of it.

What this means is that the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Fallout 4 for any system, nor will they purchase any of Bethesda's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Bethesda has alienated an entire market with this move.

Bethesda, publicly apologize and announce that this was just Fallout 4 for Vita or you can kiss your business goodbye.

hahaha 8/10 ... "American Public" that's great.

Just watched the trailer again on my TV and to me it looks great, big step up from last gen fallout. Really intrigued to see some gameplay now and get some details on the story and what not, so many questions! Roll on E3.

Tainted

The graphics are far from terrible.

The game looks pretty good all things considered, and it is a massive jump over Fallout 3 and NV.

I agree, it looks way better than FO3 and NV but you would expect it to after 5 years.....I'm just not expecting it to push gfx cards to their limits or anything which is fine by me as I've never been one to own top of the line hardware

Wow...this looks super vibrant compared to Fallout 3...I like it. Having said that, I am surprised people expected it to look near as good as W3...W2 looked much nicer than Skyrim last gen.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This is embarrassing for the fans, game looks god and they actually showed what it looks like RIGHT NOW. Much better than getting fed bullshit like Ubisoft does.

I think its a great improvement from Fallout 3, especially the art direction, use of shapes and colors.

joecanada

That interaction is a huge reason these RPG's are as popular as they are. Makes the world feel more real. And its the edge it had on Fable, Mass Effect, The Witcher, etc.

the interaction is terrible though if that's true that's pretty weird... I don't hate the feature but it certainly doesn't feel real.

pick up spoon = click icon on spoon and it hovers magically in front of you then you drop it straight down from mid-air on the ground where it falls at an awkward angle and sometimes glitches out.

Needlecrash

I may have to go PC this time around instead of the PS4. Damn, I'm even more interested in it now due to the time frame of the game.

YOU HAVE MY MONEY BETHESDA.

P44

I think you're overstating the enjoyment of picking up spoons off a table. They'd still haul in their millions of sales easy, its the world, not the interactivity. I mean when I was a kid, FO3's draw was the VATS kills being brutal.

Don Julio

Don't know if this was posted but

Next month's game informer, Fallout 4 is the cover story of course. Here's the important info. Full scans tonight/tomorrow.

You can swap between past and present by pressing 1 key, has minimal delay in the swap. This will be essential for a lot of quests, and a bit for navigating secret areas, but optional past that.

Game is aiming for a fall/winter 2015 launch on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Complete overhaul of the movement system, doesn't feel as stiff as Fallout 3/NV & Skyrim.

Can still switch between first and third person on the spot.

Companion system is back and the dog is your starting companion. Hint at a returning character being available as a companion?

Night time now brings in more enemies and random "radiation storms" take place where being outside can radiate you for a few minutes out of a small amount of days.

A bigger emphasis on making your own choices and the story around you.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So ive rewatched all the modern Fallout trailers and i now believe the reason there is this crazy shitstorm is because Fallout 4s trailer just isnt very exciting.

Fallout 3 trailer. From 1:40 on its pretty much gameplay. Shit blowing up. Machine guns blaring. The power armored dude opening up on some dude with a minigun. Head getting blown apart from slo-mo kill cam.

New Vegas trailer. This copies almost exactly the flow of the Bethesda trailer.

Watching Fallout 4s trailer its focus is on the setting and by extension the graphics. There nothing in the Fallout 4 trailer, imo, that gets me pumped. After rewatching all the trailers i think subconsciously i was waiting for the template to kick in and it never happened. This new trailer is just flat. Maybe at E3 we will get a new trailer in the previous mold.

I really don't remember the story being that bad. When it's laid out there though, that's some atrocious writing right there.
If you really want to melt your brain think about Little Lamplight.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
NV looks like shit too but at least it's story, the gameworld and most of the characters motivations made sense. Fallout 3 was an incoherent mess.

Never forget:
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Fallout+3+in+a+nutshell+i+love+fallout+3+but_a0523f_4197794.png[img]

So I uhh... don't really see your point.[/QUOTE]
Hahah I lose it every time I see this

After watching the trailer over again, graphics aside all I was thinking was I can't wait to visit some of the places they showed. Like some of those towns.

Never forget:
Fallout+3+in+a+nutshell+i+love+fallout+3+but_a0523f_4197794.png

So I uhh... don't really see your point.

I never got that far into F3's main story, is it really this bad and nonsensical?

Tainted

Watching Fallout 4s trailer its focus is on the setting and by extension the graphics. There nothing in the Fallout 4 trailer, imo, that gets me pumped. After rewatching all the trailers i think subconsciously i was waiting for the template to kick in and it never happened. This new trailer is just flat. Maybe at E3 we will get a new trailer in the previous mold.

This trailer is nothing more than an extended teaser to what they are going to show at E3, that much is obvious due to the timing of this reveal.

Don't really care about the graphics. I'm wondering how much bigger the map's gonna be since Beth isn't limited by last gen's ram.

Also the graphics look fine to me.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
But this post is not correct.
There is something like instancing. And draw calls counts mostly to visible objects on the screen.
3k draw calls is not a problem for any CPU.
I've done some draw call tests almost two years in CryEngine. Draw calls are under DP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrSpm2AZWVU

Do your draw call tests include all the other performance draining things a game comes with a completely made game? Were your objects all physics enabled? Were they static and thus being dynamically batched by the engine?

In my experience with unity3d and unreal 3/4 lowering draw calls and removing as many physics enabled objects in the scene (aka making them static) massively improves performance in real game scenarios.

Otherwise why would middleware like simplygon (batching/atlasing/lod) be so popular. I know for a fact that W3 uses simplygon extensively.

Also F4 is not running on cryengine so I'm not sure what your point is.

Top Bottom