• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Well that depends on how far past Fallout 3 4 is set. If it's only a few years or even a decade, we still have 90+ years until that point. I know what you mean though.

Few years is spinoff territory. Both 3 and NV are really parallel sequels to 2 in the way the lore has been working. There has always been that lineage, tracing back component. A decade after 3 would mean only 5 or 6 years after NV. I just don't see anything significant added to canon if some generations don't pass. I feel like the trailer we saw is all either flash back or simulation.

Few years is spinoff territory. Both 3 and NV are really parallel sequels to 2 in the way the lore has been working. There has always been that lineage, tracing back component. A decade after 3 would mean only 5 or 6 years after NV. I just don't see anything significant added to canon if some generations don't pass. I feel like the trailer we saw is all either flash back or simulation.

4 could easily be set at the same time as 3 since it's in a different location.

Welfare

That doesn't sound good. A Fallout without fallout speaks for itself.

Yeah but then civilization could rebuild and we could explore Earth post Fallout and discover how other countries dealt with the Fallout and learn more about who really called the first nuke and

All of this and more in Fallout Online.

Yeah but then civilization could rebuild and we could explore Earth post Fallout and discover how other countries dealt with the Fallout and learn more about who really called the first nuke and

All of this and more in Fallout Online.
That actually does sound like a great idea for Fallout Online.

i hope that every round you shoot shows in a shootout aftermath

like if you shoot a protectron several times with an assault rifle you can go up to it and see the exact number of bullet holes you landed

:^)

rjinaz

i hope that every round you shoot shows in a shootout aftermath

like if you shoot a protectron several times with an assault rifle you can go up to it and see the exact number of bullet holes you landed

:^)

Maybe bullet holes won't disappear like magic after a minute. Would be great if shooting things had permanent damage. Obviously not to the point you could do longer open a door but I want to see that door I shot an hour in, full of holes at the end of the game.

rjinaz

Eh, i don't know what a time shift will do but I think they move forward. You could have these games all take place within a reasonable time with different locations.

Nothing really, I think it's more for a sense of progress and accomplishment for the player, as in all those things you did in the other games actually happened in that world. There can also be vague references here and there, like how the survival guide showed up in New Vegas from Fallout 3. It's a nice touch.

Up to this point I haven't commented about this but I'll just say - finally a game announced in 2015 I'm actually excited about. Looks fantastic to me.

Eh, i don't know what a time shift will do but I think they move forward. You could have these games all take place within a reasonable time with different locations.

The time shifts have been integral to the story so far. It's a fundamental detail. If it wasn't maybe NV would have been called 4.

A sequel with a parallel timeline is a pretty strong deviation...

We are getting closer and closer to 2377, the date when ambient radiation levels should return to pre-war levels.

This may be controversial, but my dream Fallout game is one where radiation has become a very minor concern, mechanical transportation is fully revitalized, the NCR is a completely stable nation that controls everything west of the Rockies, and is about to go to full scale war with either new states in the Mid-West (where settlers or the Followers have gotten crops to begin to grow en masse again) or with some kind of eastern seaboard nation (like a descendant of the East Coast Brotherhood that ended up swallowing other technologically advanced factions and becoming something very different than how it started), over control of the interior of the continent.

Basically, a game where it's broken up into a handful of open world regions (aka like Witcher 3) in various parts of North America, and you fast travel amongst them across the continent with a FO1/2 style overworld map complete with random encounters and hidden areas.

This may be controversial, but my dream Fallout game is one where radiation has become a very minor concern, mechanical transportation is fully revitalized, the NCR is a completely stable nation that controls everything west of the Rockies, and is about to go to full scale war with either new states in the Mid-West (where settlers or the Followers have gotten crops have begun to grow en masse again) or with some kind of eastern seaboard nation (like a descendant of the East Coast Brotherhood that ended up swallowing other technologically advanced factions and becoming something very different than how it started), over control of the interior of the continent.

Basically, a game where it's broken up into a handful of open world regions (aka like Witcher 3) in various parts of North America, and you fast travel amongst them across the continent with a FO1/2 style overworld map complete with random encounters and hidden areas.

Sounds like the perfect setup for the fallout MMO I want. Civilization finally becoming stable once again. A land full of dangers and riches to rediscover.

whipihguh

Banned
This may be controversial, but my dream Fallout game is one where radiation has become a very minor concern, mechanical transportation is fully revitalized, the NCR is a completely stable nation that controls everything west of the Rockies, and is about to go to full scale war with either new states in the Mid-West (where settlers or the Followers have gotten crops to begin to grow en masse again) or with some kind of eastern seaboard nation (like a descendant of the East Coast Brotherhood that ended up swallowing other technologically advanced factions and becoming something very different than how it started), over control of the interior of the continent.

A post-post apocalyptic Fallout would be pretty interesting. And heck, even with 90 years or so left in the Fallout universe until radiation subsides, things should already getting better.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I think there's a pretty high chance of seeing vehicles in Fallout 4. In this talk Todd Howard gave after Fallout 3 released somebody asked what major features he wanted that never made it into the game.

He says vehicles was a big one that didn't make it.

Video:
https://youtu.be/CrfdNJDVpR4?t=40m5s

Trogdor1123

There is no roaming after the final mission. You have to load up a previous save like in Fallout 3 pre Broken Steel.

really? Thats disappointing... I thought that it would be cool to go back and look around. I missed probably 50% or more of the game.

rjinaz

I think there's a pretty high chance of seeing vehicles in Fallout 4. In this talk Todd Howard gave after Fallout 3 released somebody asked what major features he wanted that never made it into the game.

Video:

Wow. It would make no sense for them not to be included then. Guess I better embrace it. I'm actually ok with that. I like my on-foot action but I have to admit zooming around on a motorcycle sounds pretty cool too.

MattyG

Banned

Video:
On one hand I'm excited because it will be cool to have other ways to travel, but I hope they don't go the obvious "Mad Max/Borderlands/Rage" route. Vertibirds would be sweet just for travelling, maybe a motorcycle, but I feel like cars with mounted guns and stuff would make the game feel too much like something it isn't.

And if there have to be cars, I want them to be something incredibly difficult to aquire. I should have to spend hours scavenging parts and building some broke ass looking monstrosity, and it shouldn't be reliable. Just imagine driving miles and miles to a destination, only being halfway there and then breaking down. Now you need to find parts to repair it, but you're in the middle of nowhere.

MattyG

Banned
Given how horses handle in Bethesda games, I'm not sure I want to see them take on driving or flying.
To be fair, I don't think I've ever controlled a horse that wasn't somewhat unweildly. Skyrim is probably the worst, but even games like Red Dead and The Witcher 3 have some amount of clunkiness to it that I think is inherent when dealing with horses. I can see them doing a better job with driving and flying.

Steel

Banned
On one hand I'm excited because it will be cool to have other ways to travel, but I hope they don't go the obvious "Mad Max/Borderlands/Rage" route. Vertibirds would be sweet just for travelling, maybe a motorcycle, but I feel like cars with mounted guns and stuff would make the game feel too much like something it isn't.

And if there have to be cars, I want them to be something incredibly difficult to aquire. I should have to spend hours scavenging parts and building some broke ass looking monstrosity, and it shouldn't be reliable. Just imagine driving miles and miles to a destination, only being halfway there and then breaking down. Now you need to find parts to repair it, but you're in the middle of nowhere.

Given fallout's focus on inventory conservation, I'd imagine having enough gas to get from place to place would limit things. Then again, do fallout's future cars even run on gas? Wait, there's gas stations all over the place in NV and Fallout 3, so yeah. There's one in the trailer even.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever controlled a horse that wasn't somewhat unweildly. Skyrim is probably the worst, but even games like Red Dead and The Witcher 3 have some amount of clunkiness to it that I think is inherent when dealing with horses. I can see them doing a better job with driving and flying.

Mount & blade horses are the best horses.

True enough, I felt RDR did it about as well as can be done and there were still some issues.

Still though, I have nightmares of trying to ride the horse in Oblivion. I'm still not sure how that worked.

cackhyena

I can imagine it. It sounds terrible.

Given fallout's focus on inventory conservation, I'd imagine having enough gas to get from place to place would limit things. Then again, do fallout's future cars even run on gas? Wait, there's gas stations all over the place in NV and Fallout 3, so yeah. There's one in the trailer even.

There are electric, oil, and nuclear powered cars. The reactors are what blows up when you shoot cars in 3 and New Vegas.

MattyG

Banned
I can imagine it. It sounds terrible.
If it was done perfectly it could be interesting and really mix things up on what would be normally boring treks.

Problem is, they wouldn't do it perfectly. I love Bethesda, but I just know there would be some issue with a huge mechanic like that that would make it no fun.

whipihguh

Banned
The only reason I used fast travel in Fallout 3 was due to how monotonous it was to get from one side of the map to another in certain cases. Having a vehicle would remove my desire to use fast travel and make return trips to places I've been to in the world far more enjoyable. I could really enjoy vehicles in Fallout as long as it didn't make to too easy to traverse the world.

cackhyena

If it was done perfectly it could be interesting and really mix things up on what would be normally boring treks.

Problem is, they wouldn't do it perfectly. I love Bethesda, but I just know there would be some issue with a huge mechanic like that that would make it no fun.
It's true. Curious to see how they try, though.

Venture

I think the cars in fallout are all nuclear powered. At least fallout 3 and NV. There's a mini nuclear explosion when they blow up.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.

Agreed. I'm all for the inclusion of vehicles as long as they're well implemented. Needs to be difficult to obtain and maintain. And there should be a high risk/reward for using them. Maybe it's super loud and attracts enemies. Maybe raiders can salvage parts from it when you park it to explore on foot. Stuff like that.

I'm wondering if that garage in the trailer will act as a base to collect scrap and spare parts that eventually builds a vehicle.

Now that you mention it I remember that. Huh. Gas stations everywhere just to serve the minority of cars. Weird.

As the war strained resources to non-existence, only the rich would be able to afford gasoline. And they'd probably be happy to purchase it at whatever price, because driving around with a nuclear reactor for an engine is fucking dangerous.

never played a fallout game, i don't even know what i should be expecting. all i know it's post apocalyptic.

it's got that vats thing though. isn't that like that gameplay mechanic from vagrant story? do we have to use it all the time or is it optional?

why should i buy fallout 4? can anyone give me a rundown as to why this game can be great?

disclaimer: i found skyrim to be mediocre and a tolkien wannabe. so there's that, and i never played any elder scrolls game but tried skyrim.

basically i don't want to be burned again.

Someone earlier was mentioning how blimps and some other things were too "advanced sci-fi". Well, in the lore of the game blimps aren't even new. I forget which one had reference to it, but they already existed.

NBtoaster

It's a fairly big plot hole in the Fallout universe that the great war started over access to fossil fuels when everything was nuclear powered.

Zoso

Given how horses handle in Bethesda games, I'm not sure I want to see them take on driving or flying.

Well there's always the possibility it was scrapped from Fallout 4 too if they weren't happy with it. Having played all their previous games, I can't imagine a fast vehicle working in their engine at all.

But at the very least we know Todd wanted vehicles. I'm hoping they surprise us at E3.

UberLevi

Seems like there'd be way too many things to consider when making vehicles. For instance, how do enemies react to you when using a vehicle and can they destroy it? Can you use the vehicle lethally? How do companions work alongside vehicles? Do they just fall behind on foot, do they dematerialize temporarily, or can they enter the vehicle with you? If they can ride passenger then how large does a vehicle that fits two need to be, and how difficult is navigating the game world with it? Do they use fuel or not? How does it control? How fast does it need to be to make it worthwhile without ruining the pacing of exploration?

I think implementing vehicles would require a lot of time and effort to be done properly.

Welfare

It's a fairly big plot hole in the Fallout universe that the great war started over access to fossil fuels when everything was nuclear powered.
Due to the failure of not developing more energy efficient technologies, miniature electronics and advanced manufacturing materials, more and more fossil fuels were required in the Fallout world than ours.

Steel

Banned
Due to the failure of not developing more energy efficient technologies, miniature electronics and advanced manufacturing materials, more and more fossil fuels were required in the Fallout world than ours.

But there are robots.... And Super-AI. I don't understand.

MattyG

Banned
Seems like there'd be way too many things to consider when making vehicles. For instance, how do enemies react to you when using a vehicle and can they destroy it? Can you use the vehicle lethally? How do companions work alongside vehicles? Do they just fall behind on foot, do they dematerialize temporarily, or can they enter the vehicle with you? If they can ride passenger then how large does a vehicle that fits two need to be, and how difficult is navigating the game world with it? Do they use fuel or not? How does it control? How fast does it need to be to make it worthwhile without ruining the pacing of exploration?

I think implementing vehicles would require a lot of time and effort to be done properly.
All this, and areas need to be designed with vehicles in mind. While 3 and NV are open, their landscapes aren't flat. Assuming 4 carries on in that style (it looks like it will from that trailer), it wouldn't really be accomodating of vehicles.

Top Bottom