• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 teased by ThreeDog voice actor Erik Todd Dellums

Erethian

I don't think Obsidian will be involved given they're working on their kickstarter project and the basic premise of F4 would have been penned already. While I'm going to miss Obsidian's writing and side quests, I'm still excited for F4 especially if it's next gen. I have seen how much they pushed with Gamebryo with Skyrim and it would be interesting to see if they are going to be using a new engine for this game. I hope it does, especially if it's going to be out for next gen consoles. Of course, if it's going to be out for the current gen system as well, then I'd assume it'd still use Gamebryo.

They just spent an extra year of development on Skyrim (3 years instead of the usual 2 and a bit it takes for them to make a game) rewriting/reworking major parts of their engine. Suffice to say, any new Fallout is going to use it.

I think the world is better designed and more fun to explore. NV has the better writing (although it got obnoxiously verbose and showy at times, OWB for example) but the Strip is one of the most disappointing locations in a game (which is probably partially to blame on Gamebyro).

That's my take as well. New Vegas had better characters and dialog, Fallout 3 was better in everything else. To be fair, I like 3 more probably because I live in the area and been to those landmarks.

The Vegas strip has been used in other games and presented far better than New Vegas.

That said, I love both and will take another of either.

The most important question if current gen is whether it'll be F4LLOUT or FOURLOUT.

Fallout 4, fades into Fallout 2014.

Frostburn

A Fallout 4 announcement for next gen consoles at E3 would be amazing. I love me some Skyrim but Fallout will always be my number 1. So ready for next gen so consoles can catch up to PC (this will benefit PC versions as well). Ready to listen to Threedog while blasting mutants in VATS!

Patryn

As a Bostonian, I am looking forward to seeing how badly they butcher the geography of the area.

I also have a feeling that they're planning on having it be a launch-window title (probably aiming for launch, but I have a feeling they may not make it) based on how well that worked out for Oblivion.

Ironically, I also think Bioware is trying to pull the same trick with Dragon Age 3, so we may have two major WRPGs at launch, which kind of blows my mind.

Thoraxes

I'm sure it'll be next gen so Bethesda can take all of the attention off their sorry asses. No one will dare try to criticize the swarm of problems it will have because "well dude come on it's an early gen game, look at the graphics!"

You truly live up to your tag, sir.

All I want from Fallout 4 is a somewhat interesting location, not half city half wasteland.
I replayed Fallout 3 last December and I ended liking more that model than the Mojave desert from New Vegas, at least with a big city you can feel the history and legacy behind the buildings and ruins. Hope they don't push the history further, I'd love to play in a time closer to the great war.

Fuck fuck fuck. While I planned to be wii u only this gen, I will buy whatever console is the lead dev platform.

And I think we all know a new fallout should be set in a ruined Chicago

i-Lo

I really hope:

• They fix the shitty and sluggish aiming
  • More soundtracks. No more excuses given this time it'll be all on Blu ray

FrankT

Man how great would this be as launch title for the next Xbox. Dreaming I know. Still I loved Fallout 3 even more so than New Vegas.

Dragon Age 2 was an easy skip for me . Really enjoyed the original. Hopefully, not the same for 3.

Derrick01

Banned
Unless it's turn based isometric, meh, no. It's better Fallout is put to rest.

Obsidian is more than capable of making a worthy modern fallout game. What they accomplished with New Vegas with Bethesda's shitty engine and them overlooking everything was mindblowing. Turn based and isometric would be such a regression now.

Taffer

Just started replaying F3 (on the PC with mods) and have been reminded how hilarious VATS is. Slow-mo raider shouts and my character's grin/grimace when they're about to gib something are wonderful, more VATS makes me want to dance.

Persona86

Banned
I just wish there was a Fallout style game set in a non post apocalypse world, then there would be more interesting things to steal! haha. Full of life and things to do with nicer things to look at.

Really excited to see what they do with this game, Next gen Fallout? I'm there day 1!

Fjordson

So ready for more Fallout. Be great if it's next gen and some sort of new engine.

Please please please let Obsidian develop this. Bethesda aren't very good at making RPGs.
I really hope Fallout discussion can move past this eventually. It's a dead end hope, Bethesda has zero reason to not develop another Fallout.

And this is coming from someone who prefers New Vegas. But you simply have to be realistic about these things. Bethesda games review well and sell like crazy.

Persona86

Banned
All I want from Fallout 4 is a somewhat interesting location, not half city half wasteland.

You know what would be interesting, you could play half of the game when the world was full of life and the second half of the game after the nuclear fallout etc, sort of like Ocarina Of Time
That way you would get the best of both worlds, and the change on the world would have a dramatic effect.

It could make sense if the main character went into some sort of freeze machine like Futurama or Demolition Man.

Lancehead

Obsidian is more than capable of making a worthy modern fallout game. What they accomplished with New Vegas with Bethesda's shitty engine and them overlooking everything was mindblowing. Turn based and isometric would be such a regression now.

Not sure I want another disjointed first person open world god simulator masquerading as a Fallout game from Bethesda in hopes that Obsidian might get to do another New Vegas. There's Wasteland 2, so I'm not that desperate. And Age of Decadence if it ever releases.

Going turn based and isometric would actually be a big progress. It makes the gameplay more tactical, more defined and governed by the character build, and removes area design constraints and provides more possibilities for better writing.

I just wish there was a Fallout style game set in a non post apocalypse world, then there would be more interesting things to steal! haha. Full of life and things to do with nicer things to look at.

Really excited to see what they do with this game, Next gen Fallout? I'm there day 1!

My wish is that someone would take the Earthbound approach to modern RPGs. Just straight rip the mechanics but set it in a modern quirky world.

I'm never buying another Gamebryo engine game again. Bethesda has made plenty of money using the same engine and their customers deserve a new engine.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
As long as the game isn't set in The Capital Wasteland, I'm good.

Who am I kidding? I'll still buy this anyways.

Edit: You know what Fallout 4 needs? Talking Deathclaws, and the option to have one as a companion.

i-Lo

How would it be to change the fact that Fallout always takes place in a "local" area and go more global by reducing the size of each area and making all the locations accessible by fast travel once discovered (back and forth unless story elements bar one from accessing a location)? I have always wondered what Fallout would be like if it portrayed other county/countries that were affected by the war, like parts of China or my country, Canada (under US annexation) as playable locales.

Also whatever happened to EU nations during this great war?

As long as the game isn't set in The Capital Wasteland, I'm good.

Who am I kidding? I'll still buy this anyways.

Edit: You know what Fallout 4 needs? Talking Deathclaws, and the option to have one as a companion.

I could totally see a deathclaw voiced by Michael Caine.

Easy, fellow, holster your weapon. Wouldn't want to be disemboweled, now would we?

I guess I'm just upset because I imagine all of the talent that makes Fallout is currently preoccupied on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 and South Park. And I loathe me some Bethesda game mechanics.

Fjordson

How would it be to change the fact that Fallout always takes place in a "local" area and go more global by reducing the size of each area and making all the locations accessible by fast travel once discovered (back and forth unless story elements bar one from accessing a location)? I have always wondered what Fallout would be like if it portrayed other county/countries that were affected by the war, like parts of China or my country, Canada (under US annexation) as playable locales.

Also whatever happened to EU nations during this great war?
Most of Europe was part of the "European Commonwealth" but it's only been mentioned once or twice throughout the entire series. I think it's assumed that Europe is in ruin from the global nuclear attacks.

Fallout is just as much about American pop culture and politics as it is about the apocalyptic wastelands, so there's never been much insight into other parts of the world.

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time but I can't stomach New Vegas for some reason. I believe whatever Fallout 4 turns out to be it will be more commercially successful than Skyrim .... with just as many technical bug issues. Even though this is a rumor, that rumor is still more exciting than any other game I know coming out.

Top Bottom