• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

iammeiam

Pyke Presco said:
Out of curiousity, if you side with Yes Man (or House I suppose) 100% and don't do the NCR or Legion missions all the way through, do you still have to fight at the dam? Or do you get to conquer Vegas with your robot army? Because that would be totally awesome.[/spoiler]

Same end-game regardless of faction;
I went straight independent and the final battle was mostly the NCR and Legion fucking each other up with assists from my robot minions, until I went first to the Legion camp and told them to fuck off because the body count to take the region would be too high, then told the NCR guy who showed up to also fuck off.

It sort of makes sense, though, since the main show-down between
NCR and the Legion was going to be at the dam anyway, and they'd both blow through most of their resources there; having the independent/House end-game take place in the general Vegas area would pretty much amount to you and your robot minions absolutely slaughtering the dregs leftover from whichever side won the Hoover conflict.

bhlaab

Kurtofan said:
AHHH FML my character just became flashy orange,and loading previous saves doesn't do shit.
For infor it happened while I was fighting my way out of Vault 3, getting shot/roasted/punched by Fiends :(

Any way to fix that(on Xbox

Did you try resetting the game and/or clearing the cache?

Ferrio

Banned
thorin said:
Have you finished the
"Come Fly With Me" quest? If you have, speak to the motel manager about getting a room and you should get it for free. Assuming she's still alive that is...

She took a bullet to the head.
Any way around that? I needs me a home.

thorin

Ferrio said:
She took a bullet to the head.
Any way around that? I needs me a home.
Looks like it.
Apparently Cliff from the Dino shop takes over when she dies. So try talking to him about getting the room.

Coverly

Lol, is this suppose to happen?

contreras333fail.jpg

I come back to the NCR camp after the quest where he is negatively involved is finished and instead of wearing his NCR uniform he is wearing this get-up like it's the most normal thing in the world. Worst of all, it's me who's suspicious!

And then when I kill him and take a look at his inventory it's all a bunch of this:

Legioninventory.jpg

I never sold him that stuff! What the hell.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Holy shit at White Gloves Society. This game steadily climbes to where Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines sits.

I killed all these perverts. Got a sawed-off shotgun from Ted's father, then flamer and KILLED THEM ALL :lol

Love the game.

Double D

So I've just been cruising around lately with Boone. Stumbled across a camp full of Legion folk. Boone says something like
"Yo, Imma fuck some dudes up here". At this point I have been fairly neutral with the Legion, but clearly our relationship has taken a turn for the worst after what happened at this camp. We kill everybody here. Then I find some people with shock collars that I free and they seem pretty happy with me. Did I inadvertantly complete Boone's 'Companion Quest', or is there something else?

Wallach

Vik_Vaughn said:
So I've just been cruising around lately with Boone. Stumbled across a camp full of Legion folk. Boone says something like
"Yo, Imma fuck some dudes up here". At this point I have been fairly neutral with the Legion, but clearly our relationship has taken a turn for the worst after what happened at this camp. We kill everybody here. Then I find some people with shock collars that I free and they seem pretty happy with me. Did I inadvertantly complete Boone's 'Companion Quest', or is there something else?

Boone's companion quest is called "I Forgot to Remember to Forget". Boone simply despises the Legion and any Legion faction characters are permanently KOS to him.

Finalow

can i win the suite in the tops? ...
i've killed benny and a lot of men there, president here, president there :/

tokkun

bhlaab said:
The only "good" faction is probably the followers of the apocalypse and they're more than a bit hopeless.

Depends on your sense of morality. From a pragmatic or utilitarian sense, the NCR is probably doing more good than the Followers are.

water_wendi said:
Hit max level earlier. i forgot to make a snapshot but i got all of Bitter Springs, Camp Golf and Forlorn Hope done before i remembered so theres a few quests added into here.

Truth be told, it was easier than i thought it would be. The only hard part was a part in the early teens where i had not focused on my Sneak but was running into Deathclaws and Cazadors. If i were to do it again, i would probably put off one or two of the Fast Learner until later.and pick up Animal Friend 2/2 earlier.

Doing an Independent run i should finish out tonight. Shooting for 200 dialog checks now :lol
How many quests do you think you'll be able to complete? Have you been letting your companions kill things for you?

subversus said:
Holy shit at White Gloves Society. This game steadily climbes to where Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines sits.

I killed all these perverts. Got a sawed-off shotgun from Ted's father, then flamer and KILLED THEM ALL :lol

Love the game.
Yeah I really liked that part too. I think my next char will be a Clockwork Orange build where I dress in a nice suit and use their cane to beat people up.

Maybe I'll use the unlimited companions mod for that... hmmm.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm 65 hours in and level 24. I've been to
Freeside but have yet not actually entered the strip. There's just too much to do as it is.

But I have to say, I've probably had my best moment of the game... incredible stuff.

I went to
Quarry Junction
with an anti-material sniper rifle, plenty of normal rounds, armour piercing rounds and a couple of incendiary rounds and had a fucking crazy battle of cat and mouse with the
Deathclaws
. It took me 2 hours but I think I cleared the whole area, was just being patient and getting sneak attacks on them, I took a few of them out with one hit head shots and I killed the
Alpha Male
with two incendiary rounds and killed the
mother
with two armour piercing rounds.

I must have killed 20+ of them, easily the most challenging area in the game. Felt like a badarse when I sniped
the mother and her 4 babies. :lol
This is definitely the best way to approach that area I reckon. It takes a while, but the sneak attack is the best form of attack.

I checked around the area and there are none left, so I saved it and I'll resume tomorrow, I know there is supposed to be some loot there, which I'll need to find.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Lakitu said:
I checked around the area and there are none left, so I saved it and I'll resume tomorrow, I know there is supposed to be some loot there, which I'll need to find.

If you think that was fun, wait and see if you ever run into the
Deathclaw Promenetory
. That makes for good times.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Metroidvania said:
Deathclaw Promenetory

I'm guessing that's the place I was brutally murdered when I tried swimming up river from Cottonwood Cove. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Has anybody encountered this bug?

I am running an unarmed - high strength - no charisma build, and just punching my way through everybody. that said, the NCR hates me as do most towns. When I last saved I had just gotten to Freeside, and it said that most places in the area I was "Vilified".

I came back the next day and my map said I was "Neutral" in all of these places, but still Accepted in places like Goodsprings from before (I'll be back there though :p)

However, when I went inside one of the locations (the caravan trading company area) it returned to Vilified and I had to let my fists clear the area.

It just seemed weird that it would reset to "neutral" until somebody saw me, at which point it instantly switched back.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Metroidvania said:
Deathclaw Promenetory

Is there even anything there? I killed most of them with a certain gun but couldn't find anything of note.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
bhlaab said:
Well that depends on how you look at it. I didn't side with the legion because of that, but choosing them won't get you the evil bastard ending like poisoning the water in Fallout 3 or killing a little sister in Bioshock.

There are just as good reasons to not side with the NCR. I didn't do that either, and I helped found the damn thing in Fallout 1!

Dude. They're slavers who rape all the women. Nothing in the game suggests the NCR are "just as bad."

Did anyone else find the
hidden messages addressed to your character/Courier 6
in the collapsed canyon west of Primm? I got really creeped out when I read those. Still don't know if it has to do with the game...

Metroidvania

BlueTsunami said:
Is there even anything there? I killed most of them with a certain gun but couldn't find anything of note.

Not to my knowledge. I think you can go there for one of the fetch quests for
Red Lucy

Did anyone else find the hidden messages
addressed to your character/Courier 6 in the collapsed canyon
west of Primm? I got really creeped out when I read those. Still don't know if it has to do with the game...

Yeah, I saw those too. I think it might have just been a warning sign that disguises an invisible wall, but it certainly was interesting to run across.

edit: As a sidenote, this game shares Fallout 3's problem of having way too many quests that you run into after hitting the level cap. I didn't even grind out deathclaws or anything, and I hit 30 just entering the strip.

And while the perk system is loads better than F3's with the every other level, not having any perks at all for level 30, and only one for 28, is kinda silly, imo. I hope the first batch of DLC adds some back in, not to mention an increased level cap.

Metroidvania said:
Yeah, I saw those too. I think it might have just been a warning sign that disguises an invisible wall, but it certainly was interesting to run across.

Does it have anything to do with
Yes Man saying that there was a 7th Courier?
Or
the dude who backed out when he saw your character's name on the Courier list?

Wallach

Metroidvania said:
And while the perk system is loads better than F3's with the every other level, not having any perks at all for level 30, and only one for 28, is kinda silly, imo. I hope the first batch of DLC adds some back in, not to mention an increased level cap.

Actually I'm pretty sure that was intentional and I think the game is better off for it. By loading most of the perks into the mid-range, you force the player to make some difficult decisions while progressing but don't make them feel like they have to skip a lot of perks completely by giving them levels later on to pick them up. I don't know if they've talked about in a dev diary but I would wager that they actually moved a lot of the "high end" perks way down for that very reason.

Wallach said:
Actually I'm pretty sure that was intentional and I think the game is better off for it. By loading most of the perks into the mid-range, you force the player to make some difficult decisions while progressing but don't make them feel like they have to skip a lot of perks completely by giving them levels later on to pick them up. I don't know if they've talked about in a dev diary but I would wager that they actually moved a lot of the "high end" perks way down for that very reason.

I think I counted roughly 80+ Perks in the list. That doesn't count the ones you are awarded for certain tasks in the game. It would take you five-plus playthroughs to utilize every one.

Wallach

disappeared said:
I think I counted roughly 80+ Perks in the list. That doesn't count the ones you are awarded for certain tasks in the game. It would take you three playthroughs to utilize every one.

Right, and that's obviously intentional too. But the game is very heavy in low- and mid-level perks, and level requirements basically drop off a cliff at the high end; of all the level-based perks in the game, only 6 have level requirements above 20. It goes a long way to making the perk choices interesting across all levels.

Wallach said:
I would agree with this. A lot pf perks have low level requirements but high skill requirements so its possible to get tho perks early on but you cant get all of them right away. I mean things like jury rig will be useful forever or things like hand loaded ammo. Which is a great idea to give players a key ability early/half way through the game instead of right at the end where it wont make a difference.

Speaking of ammo, I am utterly baffled at the whole ammo creation/breakdown feature. I haven't touched it at all because it seems downright intimidating considering the amount of guns in this game.

voltron

So the missing laser pistol that Initiate Stanton and Watkins lost... is it even possible to find the thing or should I just give up now?

I like how the note doesnt update after talking to the Paladin in charge of the firing range. Extremely helpful.

disappeared said:
Speaking of ammo, I am utterly baffled at the whole ammo creation/breakdown feature. I haven't touched it at all because it seems downright intimidating considering the amount of guns in this game.
It seems more complex then it needs to be.It basically lets you convert ammo from one type to another if you have the shells you need. You just need to have empty shells/casings for the type of ammo you want to make and then you can scavenge the rest of the materials from a different type of ammo.

Wallach

disappeared said:

It's actually pretty sweet, though I think the whole crafting menu/explanation is pretty fucking awful and I'm surprised they just kind of ran with it. Really though for most weapons you're looking at massive potential gains, even on the low end most guns will do 15% more damage with custom ammo. If you're a shotgun user it's basically mandatory because you can straight up convert standard shells into slugs, which reduces spread by 65% as well as packing all of the damage into a single projectile to get around DT issues of buckshot (plus you don't need to take the Hand Loader perk to learn any of the shotgun ammo recipes).

voltron said:
So the missing laser pistol that Initiate Stanton and Watkins lost... is it even possible to find the thing or should I just give up now?

I like how the note doesnt update after talking to the Paladin in charge of the firing range. Extremely helpful.

yes it's possible...using Gamefaqs (that's what i did) :lol

oh, and bring a flamer and/or sniper rifle. And stimpaks!

dwebo

BlueTsunami said:
There's a
Remnant power armor (helmet is elsewhere) and a non-Brotherhood T-51b armor and helmet on two bodies behind where the deathclaw mother and alpha male were.

timetokill said:
Has anybody encountered this bug?

I am running an unarmed - high strength - no charisma build, and just punching my way through everybody. that said, the NCR hates me as do most towns. When I last saved I had just gotten to Freeside, and it said that most places in the area I was "Vilified".

I came back the next day and my map said I was "Neutral" in all of these places, but still Accepted in places like Goodsprings from before (I'll be back there though :p)

However, when I went inside one of the locations (the caravan trading company area) it returned to Vilified and I had to let my fists clear the area.

It just seemed weird that it would reset to "neutral" until somebody saw me, at which point it instantly switched back.

I just encountered something very similar, 45 hours in and on my second playthrough. I am (scratch that, was...) accepted by the NCR, hated by the legion and vilified by the Powder Gangers. I went into an NCR town (Aerotech Industries or whatever it is) and was immediately set upon by everyone there, in spite of being in good standing (was wearing non-faction leather armor so that wasnt the problem). I run out the gate trying to get away and fast travel before killing anyone and fucking up my reputation, but they followed me out and Cass in her drunken rage decided to wipe out two of them. I figure ok, that sucks, but whatever. Grab some armor off their bodies and try again with a friendly disguise. No dice, the camp is absolutely enraged when I walk back through and Cass kills a couple more. Leave again, outside there happen to be a couple Legionaries who should hate me through and through (I annhilated Cottonwood Cove and have been killing all Legionaries on site). Add faction hate combined with the fact that I'm wearing NCR faction armour and they should be gunning for me. But instead they are considered friendly, and start attacking the NCR troops and after the battle they walk away and I am now hated by Legion, hated by NCR and vilified by the Powder Gangers. Guess I'm gonna go Wild Card this playthrough in spite of intending to do an NCR run. Oh well, now the Wasteland is my bitch and everything is gonna start dying as soon as I see them. Kind of shitty though, and it just popped up out of nowhere. No idea what triggered it.

Metroidvania

voltron said:

Fast travel directly to the spot,
it'll be on a ledge directly in front of you near a skeleton.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
dwebo said:
There's a
Remnant power armor (helmet is elsewhere) and a non-Brotherhood T-51b armor and helmet on two bodies behind where the deathclaw mother and alpha male were.

Oh snap. I guess I need to pay it another visit... the
Non-Brotherhood T-51b Power Armor would come in handy

Take my money, Julie Farkas. Take all of it. Let me join the Followers and invite me up to your chambers when the sun goes down. I'll bring the Vodka and you bring the Mentats.

Zeliard

Haha, wow. I'm around level 16 and I only just visited Benny for the first time. Pretty cool how crazily the quest lines can apparently diverge from there.

I was strongly contemplating using Terrifying Presence (which I had just gotten no more than 15 minutes prior) on him, and I'm glad I didn't for a variety of reasons (least of which I still
get to chase him
).

And Yes Man is as awesome as everyone says. Love the voice acting there, as well as the concept behind him. :lol Fun character.

So many quest lines and potential quest lines have now opened up, though, that I'm starting to get worried about getting close to level 30 and still having a bunch of stuff unfinished. That's what actually kept me from beating Fallout 3 - I hit the level 20 cap with several quests still to go, and it killed my motivation to continue. I think I might use one of those experience mods that reduces the EXP you get. Anyone know of a good one?

sangreal

subversus said:

Love the game.

Psh, giving them
one of your companions to eat
is the way to go.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mjemirzian said:
How many quests do you think you'll be able to complete? Have you been letting your companions kill things for you?
Probably 70 or so quests (the only ones i cannot finish so far is the one with the Van Grafs and the one with the ant nest at Nellis.. even using the
sonic device gives me 15 registered kills
. i dont let my companions kill for me. Until i hit cap i never let companions even travel with me because they can be rowdy :lol Now im doing the companion quests if im able (Rauls i might not be able to do because i already talked to the ones that trigger his thing) but the others have been smooth sailing so far.

All the quests i completed required absolutely zero killing. If i was seen while in stealth i would try to run towards friendlies (like the bounty head quest i ran to McCarran or the ambush area for the one guys head) or towards animals that would attack for me. Totally sucks that Animal Friend 2 doesnt have an effect on Fire Geckos, Cazadores, Ants or Scorpions. Golden Geckos became my best friend when the Legion would send assassins after me :lol

i also saved so much money because the only expensive things i bought were Implants. Weapons and ammo i just sold so i made a mint there. As much as i got shot at i never really had to repair my armor which i found funny. With 440HP and Power Armor and that DT implant i just walk through shit to my objective (did this in that vault with the ghouls.. the geckos helped in the first floor but the rest i just sneaked by). The
ghoul Overseer
was a bitch to sneak past so i just ran from there on out. i think i used 30 stimpacks to finish that vault out :lol

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
So is it always better to go with slugs?

Compared to normal shells I can't think of a reason not to switch to slugs. The only time I would suggest not using slugs is really when you're engaging targets with low/zero DT, where you'd be better off moving to close/point-blank range and using magnum shot since it has +15% DAM.

Edit - I SEE HOW IT IS.

Jerk

Banned
Wallach said:
Compared to normal shells I can't think of a reason not to switch to slugs. The only time I would suggest not using slugs is really when you're engaging targets with low/zero DT, where you'd be better off moving to close/point-blank range and using magnum shot since it has +15% DAM.

Edit - I SEE HOW IT IS.

lol.

I went ingame and tested them out myself.

I think I am going to divide my 12 Gauges into 3/4 Slug and 1/4 Magnum.

so 'I'm basically finished with the game. One thing I'd like to know is how many Wild Wasteland encounters there are. Probably it's hard to notice the difference between a sneaky subquest giver and a crazy NPC but I really don't think i've encountered many of them. What say you , Wild Wasteland Gaf? Is there a list about crazy WW encounters? How's going for you?

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
lol.

I went ingame and tested them out myself.

I think I am going to divide my 12 Gauges into 3/4 Slug and 1/4 Magnum.

I think I run about about that ratio, maybe 80/20 in favor of slugs. I generally use the unique hunting shotgun which has easily become my favorite weapon in this game, and with that I don't use anything but slugs really because it lets me engage from so far away (100 yards or so). When I break out the riot shotgun or lever-action shotgun I'll switch to magnum shot depending on what I'm fighting.

Wiggum2007

Anasui Kishibe said:
so 'I'm basically finished with the game. One thing I'd like to know is how many Wild Wasteland encounters there are. Probably it's hard to notice the difference between a sneaky subquest giver and a crazy NPC but I really don't think i've encountered many of them. What say you , Wild Wasteland Gaf? Is there a list about crazy WW encounters? How's going for you?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_Wasteland

I was pretty disappointed with the Wild Wasteland encounters, all but a few of them are pretty tame and would've been just fine being in the game by default.

Top Bottom