• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, your pacifist play-through sounds amazing, Water_wendi. I'll definitely have to give that a try.

bonesmccoy said:
F4 needs to be a joint Obsidian/Bethesda project, with one group designing the factions, weapons, story and NPCs, and the other designing the map. I think with the way the franchise is going, with the emphasis on dangerous exploration, map/building design is just as important as any other part of the game.

I'd love to see Zeni-Max buy out Obsidian and just make them the Fallout team. The tone of this game is so much closer to the original games. If they could get Carmack helping with the technology, maybe it wouldn't be so janky :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Stallion Free said:
Please for the love of god do a blog of sorts with slightly in-depth updates/screens. I would love to read that.
wjxkbq.jpg

There is nothing left alive in Goodsprings. Closed out all dialogue as soon as i could. Didnt buy anything.. dead shopkeepers make for poor salespeople. Failed all the quests including Run, Goodsprings, Run and Goodsprings Showdown. Vilified with both Goodsprings and (i think) Powder Gangers.

i ended up taking Built to Destroy and Kamikaze for Traits. My characters IN and CH are both 1. LK, EN and AG are 9. No picking locks, no computers, no shopping, no talking.. just killing. Everything.

Found out that Easy Pete has an invisible wall to the right of this porch bench. i couldnt shoot through it :lol i also had to complete one quest.. Aint That a Kick in the Head because i couldnt pull a weapon out until i left Doc Mitchells place for the first time. i promptly went right back in and executed him. Killing Clem netted me two Leather Armors which i patched up right away. After that everyone fell in line. Most difficult was Sunny and Cheyenne.. Sunny because of her armor and Cheyenne because of his attack power.

Onward to the prison.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Simon Belmont said:
I'd love to see Zeni-Max buy out Obsidian and just make them the Fallout team. The tone of this game is so much closer to the original games. If they could get Carmack helping with the technology, maybe it wouldn't be so janky :lol

I like Obsidian how they are. They're like some unpredictable hobo developer who sometimes spouts incredibly surprising bits of wisdom, while at other times, they simply take a steaming shit in your doorway. They're fun like that.

R2D4

Banned
What am I suppose to do at
Vault 22? The scientist told me to ignite this gas and start at the 5th floor but I don't see any gas to ignite?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dorrin said:
What were your skills? I'm guessing speech, barter and sneak?
Yea that was pretty much my Tagged skills. At the end i had 90 Barter, 100 Lockpick, 100 Medicine, 100 Repair, 100 Science, 100 Sneak, 90 Speech, 68 Survival.

R2D4 said:
Vault 22? The scientist told me to ignite this gas and start at the 5th floor but I don't see any gas to ignite?
Well,
on the last floor (5, I think) right at the back you'll see two vents in the wall and a shimmer effect. Throw a grenade there and it'll go boom!
Warning!
Find a way to protect yourself before you do it!!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Stallion Free said:
Please for the love of god do a blog of sorts with slightly in-depth updates/screens. I would love to read that.
i already answered this but i did leave Fraps on incremental screenshots for a good chunk of my game. i have a folder with about 5000 pics :lol

Heres one i thought people would like.. i was a walking pharmacy by the time i got to this guy.
e89xqx.jpg

TeTr1C

Haha, I've noticed in all the screenshots people post, they're using the amber HUD and pip-boy. I just got tired of that color and changed it to blue like I had in FO3. Easier on the eyes after awhile.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
jett said:
Goddamn this game looks and runs worse than F3. Good job there Obsidian.
New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 was to Fallout 1. It should have been called Fallout 4 honestly. Or Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 called Fallout D.C..

So I saved before I did this, but
I just went into Caesar's camp and murdered everyone there. I'm at about level 20 (it was crazy hard to do). I'm surprised that pretty much nothing happened other than getting a bunch of quest fails. I figured if I went in and assassinated Caesar I'd get at least one quest complete, but that is not the case. Fun to do, anyways.

Time to reload my old save!

I just finished it last night . . . gonna start a second playthrough. I was curious . . . did anyone get a bit of "quest fatigue" towards the end? I kind of rushed the ending.

I think this time I'm going straight to Vegas, avoiding quests and not doing anything I don't have to along the way. I think I did pretty much every quest and side quest on my way there, and I was a little burnt.

I can wait for FWE: New Vegas edition. I had a ton of stimpacks and chems by end game. I want even more of a challenge :)

WEGGLES

R2D4 said:
On the bottom floor you'll see the Schlieren lines of gas coming from a duct. Save before igniting though.

Coverly

TheExecutive said:
So if I help Cass kill the
caravan people
will I become vilified with NCR?

It depends. I was able to kill the old hag and not be hunted by the caravans. By default when you kill her everybody in that location will turn red and try to kill you. But if you want to kill her and still be able to go there and trade try this:
1. Put your companions somewhere else, far away from the compound. Leave them in a camp or clinic, just nowhere near.
2. Go to the caravans, wait till the old lady sits down in her office and kill her (I did a hidden 1 shot to the head).
3. The second she's dead, run out the office and keep running to exit the caravan outpost, don't fire at anyone, just keep running.
4. once you're out keep running and if you can, fast travel.
Now you can get your companions back and travel to the caravan compound again, and they'll be friendly. Your NCR standing will take a huge hit though, and it's hard to come back from that. If you're on PC you could always use the Setreputation command to put everything back to normal.

Edit: reread your question. I didn't read it correctly the first time. In the strategy guide it says that if you help cass with that course of action you'll never be able to be on friendly terms with the ncr again. For me helping cass put me in "shunned" with the ncr, and they gave me 3 days to fix it. Did some quests and it moved up to "mixed". Did a lot more quests after and it stayed at mixed. But like I said before, you can just use the Setreputation command to make everything ok again.

Question for Veronica: What is her base armor and weapon stat? I have some things that I think might help her but I don't know if it's better than what she is wearing by default.

Ferrio

Banned
I really wish I had a screencap/movie of this happening:

I was heading toward new las vegas, and a couple thugs came running at me. I go into vats to do a headshot, but Miss Fortune triggers. Her first shot hits him causing him to fly 30 feet straight up in the air, almost higher than the buildings around me. So this guy is way up in the air, in vats slow mo while me, miss fortune, boone are shooting him up. It was like a really disturbing skeet shoot. I was laughing my ass off. It ended with body parts raining from the sky.

R2D4

Banned
WEGGLES said:
On the bottom floor you'll see the Schlieren lines of gas coming from a duct. Save before igniting though.

Got it. Unfortunately for Boone he didn't get behind the door I shut after throwing a grenade. I found him fused in wall with his legs sticking out unconscious. :lol But then he got up through the wall and started following me again.

TheExecutive said:
So if I help Cass kill the
caravan people
will I become vilified with NCR?
If you can get her to be aggressive on her own without any violence on your part, you can let her do the killing with no loss to your own rep. Just make sure to fast travel afterward. This method also lets you do things like finish the bitter springs sniper quest without losing Great Khan rep - as long as you stay out of combat and remain hidden, your allies can kill the sniper with no rep loss to you.

Interfectum

water_wendi said:
Yea that was pretty much my Tagged skills. At the end i had 90 Barter, 100 Lockpick, 100 Medicine, 100 Repair, 100 Science, 100 Sneak, 90 Speech, 68 Survival.

I haven't played New Vegas yet but I do plan on going as non-combat as possible. Can anyone tell me what advantages barter, repair and survival bring to the table?

I was planning on going sneak, speech, science and lockpick for sure.

Also, which should I focus on in the begining?

dwebo

WEGGLES said:
Schlieren is really such a sexy word. It's too bad I'll probably never get a chance to use it. :-/

Interfectum said:
I haven't played New Vegas yet but I do plan on going as non-combat as possible. Can anyone tell me what advantages barter, repair and survival bring to the table?
With high barter, you buy for less and sell for more. It's useful in the early game when you're poor, not so much later on when you're rolling in caps. If you're going to go non-combat, then repair probably won't be very useful for you as far as equipment degradation goes, but it's a nice skill to have otherwise. I'd say survival is only useful if you're doing hardcore mode and are relying on foodstuffs. Crafting recipes are kind of a hassle otherwise (unless you enjoy hunting for random materials), and in casual mode, you'll just be stimming in battles, for which survival does nothing.

Sneak, speech, science and lockpick sound good to start. If you don't put anything into weapon skills, you'll have a ton of points to spread around as you progress, so you might as well try out the other non-combat ones. There are a decent amount of skill checks for each, with barter mostly giving you more money for turning in quests, and repair fixing things (obviously) allowing you to skip combat portions possibly. I didn't notice too many survival checks, though I never leveled it up much so they were all failed checks anyway.

I decided to go ahead and beat it before I sell it. Decent I guess. Didn't think it was great, and didn't like it as much as Fallout 3. It also froze again in the middle of the last quest, which certainly didn't do anything to change my mind about selling it.

WanderingWind

dwebo said:
Schlieren is really such a sexy word. It's too bad I'll probably never get a chance to use it. :-/

Get a girlfriend/boyfriend. Call her/him "Schlieren" one night. Explain it means "Cherished one" in Latin or something.

Win.

Wallach

I've been watching DarkSydePhil's F:NV playthrough, it's entertaining in its own disturbing way. You spend half your time yelling at the screen like a bad horror movie. :lol

RobertM

It's not really spoilerish question, but what do those radiated rockets do? For some reason I can't find them anywhere in the inventory. Also Boone's quest was pretty awesome, with detective work and all.

abundant

RobertM said:
It's not really spoilerish question, but what do those radiated rockets do? For some reason I can't find them anywhere in the inventory. Also Boone's quest was pretty awesome, with detective work and all.

You need them for the Come Fly With Me side quest.

Ferrio

Banned
RobertM said:

[Best thing about Boone's was
the person's head suddenly exploding. It actually kinda grossed me out, even though I've been doing it personally my whole game. Just different when you're walking next to the person

TeTr1C said:
Haha, I've noticed in all the screenshots people post, they're using the amber HUD and pip-boy. I just got tired of that color and changed it to blue like I had in FO3. Easier on the eyes after awhile.

Not everyone. I've been using the green one :p

anddo0

LOL! even the end credits were laggy:lol

I enjoyed this game much more than FO3.. But, I just can't get past how they could release such a buggy mess.

R2D4

Banned
Ferrio said:
[Best thing about Boone's was
the person's head suddenly exploding. It actually kinda grossed me out, even though I've been doing it personally my whole game. Just different when you're walking next to the person

I was yelling
SHOOT HER SHOOT HER
And he wouldn't. Then I started dialogue with the suspect and after the dialogue exited
her
head exploded. Startled me!

Haunted

EricHasNoPull said:
SO it is only up to Level 30 maximum!! damn I wish I knew this! I would've spread out my SKILLS points (or whatever they are called) more evenly.

I have an important question about the companions: Exactly how many companions can you take along with you? I started with Cass, then I got Rex, I ran into
the doc (Arcade??) in the Tent at the "Followers" Fort in Freeside. but he refused to join me, because I already have Cass and the cyberpup with me.
. Then I thought I could get
Lilly the Nightkin to join me on the Nightcrawler cave missions, again, She also refused me for the same reason. "Three is a crowd".

I never met "Boon" yet and I'm guessing you can only take one human/mutant and Rex with you maximum all the time (unless you use a mod!?!) How can I get more companions to join me?

There is no way in hell I am letting go of Cass or Rex (the Cyber dog) they are the best companions in the wasteland, it's like we are one small family :lol they are way too overprotective of me, they fight well, they never die and best of all they are always carrying my junk/weapons around for me.
Time to mod, baby!

1) remove lvl limit
2) remove follower limit
3) ????
4) profit

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dresden said:
@wendi:

how many barter checks were there? And were they usually accompanied by Speech checks?
The Barter dialog checks were probably 20 or so. Of the 194 dialog checks i figure 100 were Speech, 20 Barter, 30 Medicine and 30 Science. That sounds about right.

Interfectum said:
Barter not only allows you to get more money from some quests or to pass dialog checks but it allows you to gain access to the dialog check XP. Every dialog check you get the base XP of the amount needed to pass. So say a check requires 60 Barter.. thats 60 XP if you choose that option.

Repair opens the door to tons of caps and some dialog checks. Honestly, high repair wasnt necessary since at the end of the game i had about 10-20 of each skill magazine. There just wasnt any place else to put the points into.

Survival is good for surviving because it strengthens the amount that food and water give you. It also gives you access to high level recipes. Even though i never fought anything with Animal Friend i would loot the corpses of the geckos and nightstalkers that fell defending me.

Science is fairly useful in that even though there arent many computer terminals, there are a decent amount of Science checks in dialog.

Medicine is much the same as science but with less dialog checks and more utility (Stimpacks at 100 Medicine are like 15hp/second for 10 seconds or something).

Lockpick and Sneak are hands down the most useful utility non-dialog skills. Both are needed to get full access to the game without fighting.

Also, which should I focus on in the begining?
Lockpick, Sneak and Speech were my priority skills until i got them each to 50 (55 for Lockpick since you can use a book with the Comprehension perk and get it up to 75 for Hard locks).

Remember, Swift Learner is very useful. Also keep in mind that if you sleep on a good bed you get the Well Rested status which grants +10% XP. Even if you run out of Well Rested in the field, make sure to nap for one hour to get the XP bonus before turn in. If you get all three levels of Swift Learner and use Well Rested you are getting +40% XP to everything. It adds up quickly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Using mods, would it be possible to make every single NPC in the game follow you so that you have an army of like 1000 dudes behind you through out the whole game? That would be awesome.

Haunted

Also browsing on the New Vegas Nexus, people have started doing some artsy shots.

Apologies if these were posted already.

c3CwX.png

hbYV3.jpg

ToDRd.jpg

tAOjV.jpg

obviously

theosi

I've been playing for about 30 hours now, I haven't entered the strip, I've just kinda going around finishing up quests. Was playing today and I just stumbled into Vault 11. Loving the game and all but I never really fully appreciated it until going through Vault 11. Finding out its history and the events that transpired there has been the best part of the game for me so far. it wasn't even a quest! I just thought it was so well done. Little things like this have slowly been turning this game from average to amazing.

Haunted

theosi said:
I've been playing for about 30 hours now, I haven't entered the strip, I've just kinda going around finishing up quests. Was playing today and I just stumbled into Vault 11. Loving the game and all but I never really fully appreciated it until going through Vault 11. Finding out its history and the events that transpired there has been the best part of the game for me so far. it wasn't even a quest! I just thought it was so well done. Little things like this have slowly been turning this game from average to amazing.
Oh man, Vault 11 was my personal high point of the game. Re-listening to the audio you get at the entrance of the Vault after knowing everything... goosebumps time.

Timber

Vault 11 is such an exemplar of storytelling, especially in how the environment tells as much story as the journals. I'd love to see more of that in games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Vault 11 will always be tainted for me.

That's where Veronica disappered. I never even got to do her sidequest. : (

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WanderingWind said:
I'm assuming you're not on the PC?

Nah I'm just on the 360. I mentioned this before, but Rex died and Veronica disappeared and now the game won't let me add any new companions since it thinks my party is still full. I'm doomed to forever wander the wastelands alone.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Timber said:
Vault 11 is such an exemplar of storytelling, especially in how the environment tells as much story as the journals. I'd love to see more of that in games.

I jumped at the end. Was expecting poison gas or something.

WanderingWind

Snuggler said:
Nah I'm just on the 360. I mentioned this before, but Rex died and Veronica disappeared and now the game won't let me add any new companions since it thinks my party is still full. I'm doomed to forever wander the wastelands alone.

That sucks,man. Happened with me too, but it was Boone who vanished. Luckily I was on the PC.

Top Bottom