• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Lakitu said:
Regarding Chief Hanlon
turn him in or not? I'm just wondering how big of a choice this actually is.
He has his own special ending bit, so don't turn him in if you want him to have a happy ending. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

jax (old)

Banned
water_wendi said:
Ugh at the 1 perk/level mod. There needs to be a mod to make it 1 perk/3 levels and they need to bring back Gifted and Skilled traits.

and running around with multiple companions isn't going to break the game? Might as well as go whole hog once you complete the game at least once.

The running mod really salvages the game..

Timber

Lakitu said:
Regarding Chief Hanlon
turn him in or not? I'm just wondering how big of a choice this actually is.
Screw a happy ending! Turn him in and you get to hear his amazing speech. Just save beforehand :)

Just eliminated those
VanGraff fuckers.
Sick of their crap oh and like hell if I am going to let them "talk" to
Cass
one of the only normal/ good looking characters in the entire game. After 40 hours I am finally starting to eliminate some groups that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Next up: Brotherhood of Steel. Those fuckers with their "high hats"!

Rikyfree

TheExecutive said:
Just eliminated those
VanGraff fuckers.
Sick of their crap oh and like hell if I am going to let them "talk" to
Cass
one of the only normal/ good looking characters in the entire game. After 40 hours I am finally starting to eliminate some groups that leave a bad taste in my mouth. Next up: Brotherhood of Steel. Those fuckers with their "high hats"!
Slaughter them like the shitheads they are. They are nowhere near as nice as their east coast brothers. Nobody
attaches a fucking explosive collar to my neck and lives to fucking tell about it. You do that shit, you just signed your death warrant, regardless if you're Mother F'ing Teresa.

Rikyfree said:
Slaughter them like the shitheads they are. They are nowhere near as nice as their east coast brothers. Nobody
attaches a fucking explosive collar to my neck and lives to fucking tell about it. You do that shit, you just signed your death warrant, regardless if you're Mother F'ing Teresa.

Yes! YES! I am going to run the quest they gave me, level up another level or two and then its over for them. They were on borrowed time since I first met them.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jax said:
and running around with multiple companions isn't going to break the game? Might as well as go whole hog once you complete the game at least once.

The running mod really salvages the game..
i guess you are right. First time though either mod would make the game way too easy. Its already a cakewalk on Very Hard as it is.

edit:
Oh and instead of a faster run mod.. i would go for something like the Sprint mod. Its like the FWE sprint function in that using sprint drains your AP. Very balanced, imo.

water_wendi said:
i guess you are right. First time though either mod would make the game way too easy. Its already a cakewalk on Very Hard as it is.

edit:
Oh and instead of a faster run mod.. i would go for something like the Sprint mod. Its like the FWE sprint function in that using sprint drains your AP. Very balanced, imo.
On normal this game seems much more difficult that FO:3. It might be the leveling system but holy hell I am level 18 and still shit myself when I see a deathclaw.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
TheExecutive said:
On normal this game seems much more difficult that FO:3. It might be the leveling system but holy hell I am level 18 and still shit myself when I see a deathclaw.
Vanilla FO3 is ridiculously easy. Its like Mystic Quest easy. Dont know about how hard deathclaws are in NV since i never fought any (only got to the Strip in my prior playthroughs) but everything else couldnt even get close between my opening Sneak attack criticals and Veronica pounding the hell out of it with super sledge or displacer gloves.

ezekial45

Banned
Whats a good way to get the NCR Veteran Armor (the one on the game case cover)?

Without killing any NCR vet NPC's of course.

water_wendi said:
Vanilla FO3 is ridiculously easy. Its like Mystic Quest easy. Dont know about how hard deathclaws are in NV since i never fought any (only got to the Strip in my prior playthroughs) but everything else couldnt even get close between my opening Sneak attack criticals and Veronica pounding the hell out of it with super sledge or displacer gloves.

NOTHING I have will kill a deathclaw before they kill me. I need some mini-nukes for my fatboy.

duckroll

ezekial45 said:
Whats a good way to get the NCR Veteran Armor (the one on the game case cover)?

Without killing any NCR vet NPC's of course.

This is the worst part of the game. It's very hard to do and there's no quest associated with it as far as we can tell. It's a punch in the balls that the only way to get the armor on the cover of the game is to be "creative".

The "best" way is to try and arrange it such that one or more of the guards get killed during the assassination quest. You can still stop the assassins in time, and you can loot the bodies without affecting your reputation or even feeling bad about it.

jax (old)

Banned
TheExecutive said:

The deathclaws were always the most difficult enemies in the fallout game, and you need to sneak attack - if you could kill them halfway levelled through the game easily (and you can), then somethings a bit broken.

TheExecutive said:
NOTHING I have will kill a deathclaw before they kill me. I need some mini-nukes for my fatboy.

sniper. sneak.

I'm LVL 8 on my new build (melee) melee @ 80-90 and I 1-2 punch most enemies with my power fist. :D

Noshino

You can safely add Fallout: New Vegas to the list of open-world titles which completely endorse the doctrine of complete and total pacifism. NeoGAF user Water_Wendi recently posted a screenshot featuring some braggable statistics after completing the game's campaign and nearly all of its quests: zero people or creatures were killed during the proceedings.

Well done, Water_Wendi! We can't imagine how hard it must have been to suppress the gamer's natural instinct to constantly murder. Now that you've completed this challenge, why not move onto one of these equally arduous goals?

- Beat the game without talking to anyone
- Beat the game without picking up any items at all
- Beatthe game without moving
- Beat the game without encountering any bugs, glitches or crashes

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/05/yes-you-can-beat-fallout-new-vegas-without-killing-anyone/

:lol

Wallach

TheExecutive said:

Haha, I have bad news for you - Fat Boys are useless in this game. You'd be better off with a revolver.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mjemirzian said:
I'd say it was more of a mastermind 'get others to do the killing for you' sort of playthrough.
It wasnt difficult at all. Almost every single quest you did not need to fight. The closest i did to fighting with a companion in the whole game was giving Deputy Beagle a cowboy repeater before making a dash for the exit. i could have left him behind but decided against it.

In hindsight, i should have recorded it with Fraps. Maybe ill do it again like that.

Congrats Water_Wendi (Funny article too)

I have a quick question, so who really is
Boone's wife's killer? was it his buddy with the Barrett too? (damn I just forgot his name) Raul Cavaleras or something.. anyway I got him to stand in front of the dinosaur and watched as his head blew off, I feel terrible for doing it, since I never really had hard evidence and was impatient with the investigation b/c I just wanted Boone to tag along with me as my new companion..who really was the killer?
Do we ever get to really know?

Ferrio

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:

Boone's wife's killer? was it his buddy with the Barrett too? (damn I just forgot his name) Raul Cavaleras or something.. anyway I got him to stand in front of the dinosaur and watched as his head blew off, I feel terrible for doing it, since I never really had hard evidence and was just impatient and wanted Boone to tag along with me as my new companion..whoreally was the killer?

The woman that runs the inn. Sold his wife/baby to slavery

duckroll

EricHasNoPull said:

Boone's wife's killer? was it his buddy with the Barrett too? (damn I just forgot his name) Raul Cavaleras or something.. anyway I got him to stand in front of the dinosaur and watched as his head blew off, I feel terrible for doing it, since I never really had hard evidence and was impatient with the investigation b/c I just wanted Boone to tag along with me as my new companion..who really was the killer?

Good thing you'll never ever be a judge. :lol

Ferrio said:
The woman that runs the inn. Sold his wife/baby to slavery
:lol :lol DAMN!! I knew I swear I had a suspicion, especially after talking to
that Brahim Ranchers wife, she says something about "Mrs. Whatever likes everyone to get along in this town and socialize" that was an odd thing to say about a person and was a semi-good evidence, but I still didn't buy it.

Oh well guess I'll just go back to the save I did right before it and start over and let the innocent live and the guilty get what they deserve ....thanks eh!

Game saves FTW! even if it's a ghetto way of going back in time and fixing mistakes or doing things differently..ahh it's great!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
duckroll said:
Good thing you'll never ever be a judge. :lol

I accidentally blew up the old farmer's Brahim so I used him for it since I had already fucked up his life beyond repair.

Ferrio

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
:lol :lol DAMN!! I knew I swear I had a suspicion, especially after talking to
that Brahim Ranchers wife, she says something about "Mrs. Whatever likes everyone to get along in this town and socialize" that was an odd thing to say about a person and was a semi-good evidence, but I still didn't buy it.

Oh well guess I'll just go back to the save I did right before it and start ovewr and let the innocent live and the guilty ....thanks eh!

Game saves FTW! even if it's a ghetto way of going back in time and fixing mistakes or doing things differently..ahh it's great!

If you talk to the mad dog whatever guy it directs you to snoop around in the inn. There's a safe with a note that pins her for it

Snuggler said:
I accidentally blew up the old farmer's Brahim so I used him for it since I had already fucked up his life beyond repair.
Maan that Old Farmer and his wife are the nicest people. I dropped in middle of the night and woke them up, they talked to me with great kindness and hospitality, the guy gave me full access to his fridge and all the Brahim steaks I could eat...poor bastid! you had to kill em eh you sick son of a ...!!!:D

Ferrio said:
If you talk to the mad dog whatever guy it directs you to snoop around in the inn. There's a safe with a note that pins her for it
See the problem with that is I had that note in my inventory like a week ago when I first discovered the town of No Vac(ancy).

I was just too lazy to go into my pip boy and browse through the notes and find it and read it...

I read most of the notes and holotapes I pick up...and I am a clepto sneak in this game , I wont leave a safe locked anywhere I see (lockpick at 100 from day one)

So obviously I had the hard evidence then, but I guess this was a classic case of jumping the gun and tampering whit a quest way before I get around to doing it...I ran into quite bit of these in the game, since I always tend to explore every nook and cranny before even talking to anyone or starting a quest.. .

It's pretty cool though to start the quest where half of it has been done by me already non deliberately. (Just not in this case)

Another clue the game gave me that I didn't pick up on was..my (optional) quest for this quest was already completed (grayed out) right when the quest was given to me,

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EricHasNoPull said:
Maan that Old Farmer and his wife are the nicest people. I dropped in middle of the night and woke them up, they talked to me with great kindness and hospitality, the guy gave me full access to his fridge and all the Brahim steaks I could eat...poor bastid! you had to kill em eh you sick son of a ...!!!:D

Yeah, I felt bad about killing him (and his wife afterwords), but you can't crack an omelet without making a few eggs. It was for the greater good, I was unable to send the correct person anyways since I had already taken him/her out vigilante style.

Lakitu

st5fu
I hate the
Van Graffs
too, and want to eliminate them. But... a couple of questions regarding that: Are there any quests related to them in which you oppose them and
if not, how am I supposed to kill them? They relinquish my weapons upon entering and you could say that I could steal an energy weapon from them but my energy weapons stats are really poor, so I don't think I'd do to well in a fight with them.

MechaX

I think I pissed off the Legion way too early, because the shit that is going on right now is bananas.
I killed the Legion at Nipton, and on my route to Novac, I keep getting ambushed by Legion Assassins. Even if I wear the clothes, they attack me. Even if I retreat back to the passing caravan AND NRC troops, they slaughter them like nothing and kill me in seconds. I use a Stealth Boy, it seems like they're scripted to find me. I fast travel somewhere, they still find me. I CAN'T ESCAPE THESE WOLF-SKIN LUNATICS!

FoeHammer

I want to love this, but Obsidian is making it difficult as usual.

For some reason, every faction attacks me on sight now. All of them, even though the only faction I've pissed off is the Legion. I don't really know what else to do. As soon as I enter a town or settlement, I'm peppered with gunfire from all directions. Surely this is another bug in a long list of bugs I've encountered so far. Anybody else have this issue?

The 360 version has been a mess for me. Crazy long load times, bugs galore, and at least 5 system crashes by now. I would have gone with the PC version, but my wife is in school and is using my PC all the time so I would barely have time to play. Seriously considering trading it in at this point.

Wallach

FoeHammer said:
I want to love this, but Obsidian is making it difficult as usual.

For some reason, every faction attacks me on sight now. All of them, even though the only faction I've pissed off is the Legion. I don't really know what else to do. As soon as I enter a town or settlement, I'm peppered with gunfire from all directions. Surely this is another bug in a long list of bugs I've encountered so far. Anybody else have this issue?

The 360 version has been a mess for me. Crazy long load times, bugs galore, and at least 5 system crashes by now. I would have gone with the PC version, but my wife is in school and is using my PC all the time so I would barely have time to play. Seriously considering trading it in at this point.

Only thing I could think of is you wearing Legion armor. Pretty much every faction attacks them on sight, except other Legionaries. Otherwise it seems like a bug.

duckroll

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I felt bad about killing him (and his wife afterwords), but you can't crack an omelet without making a few eggs. It was for the greater good, I was unable to send the correct person anyways since I had already taken him/her out vigilante style.

Some of you people are really, really scary. :lol

But for what it's worth, I just got the Cannibal perk in my second playthrough, and when I got to Nipton, the town hall became an All-you-can-eat buffet. :lol

ezekial45

Banned
duckroll said:
This is the worst part of the game. It's very hard to do and there's no quest associated with it as far as we can tell. It's a punch in the balls that the only way to get the armor on the cover of the game is to be "creative".

The "best" way is to try and arrange it such that one or more of the guards get killed during the assassination quest. You can still stop the assassins in time, and you can loot the bodies without affecting your reputation or even feeling bad about it.

I already finished the quest. I'm at the end of the game. >_<

mjemirzian said:
Reverse pickpocket.

Reverse pickpocket?

Lakitu

st5fu
mjemirzian said:
He has his own special ending bit, so don't turn him in if you want him to have a happy ending. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

Thanks.
I chose to save him. Which is strange of me, since I'm a loot-whore and I really wanted his revolver.

duckroll

Lakitu said:
I hate the
Van Graffs
too, and want to eliminate them. But... a couple of questions regarding that: Are there any quests related to them in which you oppose them and
if not, how am I supposed to kill them? They relinquish my weapons upon entering and you could say that I could steal an energy weapon from them but my energy weapons stats are really poor, so I don't think I'd do to well in a fight with them.

One "easy" way to kill them is...
Go work for them, and during the guard duty job, there's someone who will approach with a bomb. You can allow him in, and he'll blow shit up inside. You fail the quest, but whatever!
:D

Lothars

Lakitu said:
I hate the
Van Graffs

I would talk to the women behind the table full of weapons,
She will give you a quest to be a guard and than after your done with the quest, you will be able to walk in and out with your weapons,
Van graffs Quest Spoiler
I also heard that there's one of the guys that walks up when your guarding and you can let him go in without checking him for weapons and he will kill everyone in there but im not sure if that's true.

Lakitu

st5fu
duckroll said:
One "easy" way to kill them is...
Go work for them, and during the guard duty job, there's someone who will approach with a bomb. You can allow him in, and he'll blow shit up inside. You fail the quest, but whatever!
:D

Nice, thanks :D I'll do that.

Lothars said:
I would talk to the women behind the table full of weapons,
She will give you a quest to be a guard and than after your done with the quest, you will be able to walk in and out with your weapons,
Van graffs Quest Spoiler
I also heard that there's one of the guys that walks up when your guarding and you can let him go in without checking him for weapons and he will kill everyone in there but im not sure if that's true.

Yeah, I
originally didn't want to ask to work for them because I thought they were idiots. But one big question is, if I let that guy blow them up will I get access to the loot in their store?

So has anybody else recovered the
pulse gun
from
vault 34
and have it not register as completed on the quest list? Or do I have to do something else with the thing?

duckroll

Bobbyrawlins said:
So has anybody else recovered the
pulse gun
from
vault 34
and have it not register as completed on the quest list? Or do I have to do something else with the thing?

Did Veronica talk to you after you got it? If she did, then
you need to return to Hidden Valley to continue the quest. It's not over.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Lakitu said:
I hate the
Van Graffs

In addition to what was mentioned, if you have even a mediocre sneak skill and finish the quest to the point where they let you
keep your weapons going in, which you might as well do for the easy experience
, you can basically successfully sneak off in the corner where you'll see three laser rifles stacked in a row. If you have a silenced 10mm (the 22 probably won't work as well) you can possibly sneak headshot each guard one at a time. Just pick one off, then find a spot that lets you stay hidden to pick off the next one. Soon only
Gloria and Jean-Baptiste
will be left and you can then do whatever. Also is nice because you don't lose any karma for stealing stuff right off their counters as long as you drag it to the corner I mentioned and do it while hidden.

duckroll said:
Some of you people are really, really scary. :lol

But for what it's worth, I just got the Cannibal perk in my second playthrough, and when I got to Nipton, the town hall became an All-you-can-eat buffet. :lol

Haha! that's just disturbing dude! and you call us "scary"??

there are indeed lots of dead bodies in that place, I went back to it again recently to explore more, and just walking around the building increased my rage against the Legion.. can't wait till I put Caesars head on a stick and cook it by the campfire like a marshmallow!!

I already decapitated one of his bitches and dumped a steamy one on his throne (see Exhibit: A)
falloutnv20101102055713.jpg

FoeHammer

Wallach said:
Only thing I could think of is you wearing Legion armor. Pretty much every faction attacks them on sight, except other Legionaries. Otherwise it seems like a bug.

I thought about that that, but I'm just wearing a duster. Thanks anyways, I guess I'll start reloading saves. After 20 hours the numerous problems are starting to take their toll.

Lakitu

st5fu
DarthWoo said:
In addition to what was mentioned, if you have even a mediocre sneak skill and finish the quest to the point where they let you
keep your weapons going in, which you might as well do for the easy experience
, you can basically successfully sneak off in the corner where you'll see three laser rifles stacked in a row. If you have a silenced 10mm (the 22 probably won't work as well) you can possibly sneak headshot each guard one at a time. Just pick one off, then find a spot that lets you stay hidden to pick off the next one. Soon only
Gloria and Jean-Baptiste
will be left and you can then do whatever. Also is nice because you don't lose any karma for stealing stuff right off their counters as long as you drag it to the corner I mentioned and do it while hidden.

Thanks for the advice. The
Van Graffs
are going to be punished tomorrow. My dude's no-nonsense but an awesome guy. When
Alice Hostetler
got all bitchy with me when I entered her house, she got to meet my hunting shotgun.

Llyranor

Ferrio said:
Yup. For the Novac quest, I found the guilty person and had Boone
snipe her brains out.
I then proceeded to eat her corpse while he watched
from atop the dinosaur
. He then joined my party. I like how he doesn't judge me for being a cannibal. He doesn't praise me for it, but passivity is just as good as approval for this specific subject. Boone's alright in my book.

duckroll

Llyranor said:
Yup. I found the guilty person and had Boone
snipe her brains out.
I then proceeded to eat her corpse while he watched. He then joined my party. I like how he doesn't judge me for being a cannibal. He doesn't praise me for it, but passivity is just as good as approval for this specific subject. Boone's alright in my book.

Your bad influence has affected my second character. She's doing it too. :(

Is there a way to
save Benny from the Cesar tent when he is captured and tied by the legion? during the conversation tree he mentions "if you had a bobby pin and a stealthyboy, I could escape". I didn't have a stealth boy at the time, so I just ended the conversation and before even talking to Cesar I left the tent, (that mission still pending)

I went across the wasteland searching for a stealthboy for days and nights to save the life of the guy who laughed at me before shooting at me in the head, and again letting his goons ambush me in my Hotel room after saying "we're all cool now"

I finally did find it... I went back to Benny and for the life of me there was no option in the conversation tree for the Stealthboy...I tried by restarting the conversation over and over agian taking different paths, but all the bastid wanted to do is make a run for it...and well... we all know how that goes. So has anyone Saved the bastid with that method? Stealthboy and a bobby pin, or he just says that for a laugh?

Top Bottom