• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Dr.Morris79

Er, they have the technology to build airships and power armor. Making a shirt and a razer doesn't seem that hard in comparison.
It was all a bit sterile, by the numbers, committee based for me personally is what I was getting at. Lucy in the Vault, instant switch to sunny day with dude bros fighting in a sterile environment..

s0vGGVO.gif

It's all very Fallout 4/76.

I'll carry on without the missus. She wasn't a fan.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The colors used in the
dusk wasteland scenes in the first act of ep3
remind me so much of Fallout 3. Giving me heavy nostalgia.

Hardensoul

The Bethesda Fallout Experience™

Eh, I've seen people in power armor crumble against yao guai in Fallout 76. Not entirely unbelievable.

However, what's funny is that when Max puts on the helmet, the HUD shows that the armor is in perfect condition for the rest of the show lol
Fair enough! I’ve never played the game. I was just amaze how power the armor was after Maximus later tested it out. Titus was a coward and panicked, guess that’s why he didn’t use the armor properly!

StueyDuck

if i have one big complaint that i really hope they get rid of in season 2 is the really bad 90s era teen comedy humor, "my cock is like a pimple and will explode"

all that stuff is just cringe, it's not funny, Lucy being a whore isn't humorous either, like just cut that shit out, it's very the boys... The show actually did have some smart comedy bits i chuckled at a few times that weren't like "oh so random" quips.

StueyDuck

What was the woke shit?
I mean, while I agree to say that a man having a black wife is "woke" as some video in this thread earlier suggested is silly and quite overboard.

let's not pretend there isn't some trans woman moustache thing at the start and end of the show. luckily they them thims thams whatever is gone for most of the season, but let's not pretend it's not present and doesn't exist. it's absolutely worth pointing out and criticising. But is the "whole show" woke... no it isn't

Last edited:

GloveSlap

if i have one big complaint that i really hope they get rid of in season 2 is the really bad 90s era teen comedy humor, "my cock is like a pimple and will explode"

all that stuff is just cringe, it's not funny, Lucy being a whore isn't humorous either, like just cut that shit out, it's very the boys... The show actually did have some smart comedy bits i chuckled at a few times that weren't like "oh so random" quips.
Yep, hated all of that. To me it was more the cringe zoomer writing you see in almost every modern show than 90s though.

I enjoyed the show overall. The set design was spot on. Walton Goggins is a national treasure.

Little Mac

I guess it just didn’t resonate with me. I’d give it a 7/10. Thought it was kinda boring and should have been 3 or 4 episodes max. Goggins was cool and a standout though.

some of the good stuff:
1) all the pre-apocalypse sequences
2) the mystery of vault 31 (& final vault 31 sequence)
3) dogmeat's origin sequence
4) the filly showdown sequence
5) mr. handy organ farming clinic sequence
6) the ghoul at the farm house sequence
7) the bridge sequence
8) displaying the terminal hacking screen!
9) closing shot:
fallout-tv-new-vegas.jpg

10) casting 80 year old leslie uggams as the vault leader: https://nystagereview.com/2024/03/22/leslie-uggams-something-old-something-new-something-wonderful/
just to balance out some of the bad stuff already mentioned...

DryvBy

They really nailed the feel of Fallout in some aspects but I feel it suffers from almost all of Hollywoods stuff today of being a mindless piece that's too predictable. This one just has the Fallout coat on it. Like Mandalorian with Fallout.

Like most modern drama series today, they have the multi story line that's wildly different to have you want to watch at least one of the stories, if not all three. I would have preferred to just have it follow the entire story of the vault hunter and run into characters instead of going into the typical side stories.

Visually it's nice looking and the score is perfect. But it's just kind of boring to me. I also think I've just gotten to a point in life I've watched so many TV shows I can't stop thinking I've seen it all before.

I joked with a friend that TV for me is like when people quit listening to AM radio and transitioned to the television. But my "TV" now is just good video games.

Watched 1st episode. I';d say its a 6/10 for now. The vault raid thing was too stupid, it made no sense at all. Ghoul introduction at the end was also stupid, I mean what the fuc kwas the point of those 3 dumbasses? The brotherhood part was kinda cool but the way they just promoted the main dude was stupid af. Atmosphere wise its cool. They nailed that at least.

Internet and grifters going … NEW VEGAS IGNORED , YEETED FROM EXISTENCE.

Ending shot of the season … yeah nah fuck off. People are dumb, yeah ok NCR getting nuked and being put on the backfoot is sad. But i dont agree with people screaming : this makes F2 and New Vegas pointless.

At that point i mean if you play F1 you could consider the whole game pointless due to it’s ending

Cyberpunkd

This one just has the Fallout coat on it. Like Mandalorian with Fallout.
I don't know about that. The Mandalorian is pure Star Wars, which means it will never be anything else than PG-13 comfort food. Fallout already has much more shit and brutality than that (and in line with Fallout universe) e.g.

Organ harvesting
Woman being eaten alive after giving birth to some reptile monsters in Vault 4
Vault-Tec planning the end of the world

Vlodril

Definitely not for me. The show didn't know what it wanted to be. The more serious stuff were interesting (goggins and the vault after the first episode). Some of the chars did nothing for me (maximus). The problem is that it was 1/3rd serious, 1/3rd comedy and another third parody but i felt only the serious stuff worked. It just wasn't funny. Wasted Emerson too.. Stopped watching after episode 5. Good production values but the writing was mediocre (fits with the Bethesda games i guess).

Goggins was the only stand out in the show

StueyDuck

Definitely not for me. The show didn't know what it wanted to be. The more serious stuff were interesting (goggins and the vault after the first episode). Some of the chars did nothing for me (maximus). The problem is that it was 1/3rd serious, 1/3rd comedy and another third parody but i felt only the serious stuff worked. It just wasn't funny. Wasted Emerson too.. Stopped watching after episode 5. Good production values but the writing was mediocre (fits with the Bethesda games i guess).

Goggins was the only stand out in the show
I was exactly like you, it's worth finishing the last 3-2 eps because they focus more on the serious sides.

I 1000% agree (and had said from the start) the show should have been serious and let the comedy come out in the nature of the material rather than making crude jokes or marvel quips.

Internet and grifters going … NEW VEGAS IGNORED , YEETED FROM EXISTENCE.

Ending shot of the season … yeah nah fuck off. People are dumb, yeah ok NCR getting nuked and being put on the backfoot is sad. But i dont agree with people screaming : this makes F2 and New Vegas pointless.

At that point i mean if you play F1 you could consider the whole game pointless due to it’s ending
I don't understand "canon" people. It's a weird obsessive way to view any media. Like things are always going to contradict other things, media has been like that since the beginning. Having an autistic addiction to an absolute timeline is always going to destroy any media.

I remember people being outraged cause a song used in stranger things actually released a month or so after the show took place.

🤣 Like why would you get so worked up about something so stupid.

There's also a difference between a retcon and a contradiction.

DryvBy

I was exactly like you, it's worth finishing the last 3-2 eps because they focus more on the serious sides.

I 1000% agree (and had said from the start) the show should have been serious and let the comedy come out in the nature of the material rather than making crude jokes or marvel quips.

I don't understand "canon" people. It's a weird obsessive way to view any media. Like things are always going to contradict other things, media has been like that since the beginning. Having an autistic addiction to an absolute timeline is always going to destroy any media.

I remember people being outraged cause a song used in stranger things actually released a month or so after the show took place.

🤣 Like why would you get so worked up about something so stupid.

There's also a difference between a retcon and a contradiction.

Every single detail being perfect isn't an issue but canon does matter. If I'm watching a show about a book or game, I want them to have at least enjoyed it too. Some manage to masterclass the source material when they really care for the product (Fight Club is a good example).

StueyDuck

Every single detail being perfect isn't an issue but canon does matter. If I'm watching a show about a book or game, I want them to have at least enjoyed it too. Some manage to masterclass the source material when they really care for the product (Fight Club is a good example).
but in that same breadth, starship troopers and the shining aren't picture perfect adaptations either and are still masterclass.

getting hung up on whether a bomb dropped in 1977 or 1976 or whatever some of the bozos are complaining about just really is unnecessarily obsessive.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
but in that same breadth, starship troopers and the shining aren't picture perfect adaptations either and are still masterclass.

getting hung up on whether a bomb dropped in 1977 or 1976 or whatever some of the bozos are complaining about just really is unnecessarily obsessive.

It is an incredibly important thing to get wrong and change. It would be akin to saying the Empire was Defeated in The Clone Wars or that Skynet was launched in 1970. It completely shifts and changes the narrative and timeline of the entire franchise.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It strikes me that this is managing to succeed while taking the exact opposite approach of Last of Us. Where that show was a retelling of the game's story in a form that could be accessible to anyone, regardless of if they ever touched the games, Fallout tells an original story but is aimed squarely at fans of the games, like if you have no experience with the games the show might be a little confusing and not that appealing. But it's great for fans.

JCK75

I have to say I'm almost done.. and I've actually really been enjoying it.. there are some moments where it's pure cringe (the scene of goggins vs power armor).. but overall.. very well done.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
XfJLLvf.jpeg

I really don't agree with this sentiment, 5 episodes in and I still like it but the main plot is a little bit too thin for a weekly format, maybe with S2 if it's a bit beefier on things going on. Right now the show is trying its best at world building and establishing characters as it can. Weekly format does let a show stay relevant for longer but I don't think this show needs to right now since its mostly gotten positive reception to keep it in good graces for the time being.

Cyberpunkd

XfJLLvf.jpeg

I really don't agree with this sentiment, 5 episodes in and I still like it but the main plot is a little bit too thin for a weekly format, maybe with S2 if it's a bit beefier on things going on. Right now the show is trying its best at world building and establishing characters as it can. Weekly format does let a show stay relevant for longer but I don't think this show needs to right now since its mostly gotten positive reception to keep it in good graces for the time being.
Weekly format directly benefits the publisher, since you almost never going to watch a show within 4 episodes. IGN being corporate apologists they are of course needs to make a case for you to subscribe for longer.

I have a great new idea: how about we tally how many months someone has been subscribed to the service and give them exclusive access to new shows?

As a side note I put ungodly amount of hours into F4 since I started the show a few days back so something is working. I will even buy the GOTY edition.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
XfJLLvf.jpeg

Ehhh ... I like having all the episodes at once so I can binge them.

Hardensoul

Watched 1st episode. I';d say its a 6/10 for now. The vault raid thing was too stupid, it made no sense at all. Ghoul introduction at the end was also stupid, I mean what the fuc kwas the point of those 3 dumbasses? The brotherhood part was kinda cool but the way they just promoted the main dude was stupid af. Atmosphere wise its cool. They nailed that at least.
You’re one of the few that pointed how stupid the raid stuff was. That bothered me even more after the knowing how Vault 31-32-33 were governed/connected. There are more stuff like this in the show that a lot of people are overlooking.

But it’s fine if they enjoy the show! To each there own!

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Im pretty sure this show only got high reviews just because its fallout because holy fuck if this doesnt get better im out...no way anyine with more than a few braincells here can say the writting is good. Episode 2 turret shoots at the doc and nothing happens lmao. The brotherhood randomly drops in the middle of nowhere, finds a can of ham and says "yeah this is our target and the dog". ?????????????????????????????????? This is the dumbest shit ive ever seen.

Anyone who says the writting is good is a fucking idiot. At least for now. Im going to push through.

Last edited:
I mean that humor stops being funny once you grow older than 16...

for big budget premium tv i expect better writing.
there's nothing humorous about Lucy being cavalier about sex, she just is, she's also not "a whore", inversely, someone growing up in an environment sterilised from anything sexual and being fed weird stories about it is completely in character and not some weird "bad 90s era teen comedy", he didn't even say what you put in quotes, he described what someone else told him.
You just wind up sounding like some 60 year old man raised in church who's projecting his own myopic values on some alternate future society that lives in bunkers to survive.

TheShocker

I’m in the camp that has never really delved into the games. I’m familiar with their premise. I’ve tried 3&4 I believe, but that was years ago and don’t really know all the ins and outs like I would other games. That said, I am halfway through the show and absolutely love it. I have Fallout 4 installed and will give it a run when the new update drops.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Four episodes down.

Goggins is doing a great job portraying a completely unlikable character that is thoroughly entertaining nonetheless

DeaDPo0L84

Me and my wife watched the first episode and were both surprised at how good it was, we were immediately hooked. We watched the second episode last night and holy crap what a downward spiral in story and production. It seemed so disjointed and cheap compared to the first episode. Felt like I was watching a play with expensive sets. We're gonna finish it but it's crazy there was such a drastic drop off from the first to second episode.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Five episodes down. A few criticisms and thoughts thus far:

1. Maximus's story prior to episode five was fraught with extremely predictable and hackneyed elements and was simply not entertaining. It was an annoying departure whenever the story shifted to him. He only finally clicks in episode five when paired with Lucy for an extended period

2. Speaking of, much of the Brotherhood of Steel narrative should have been dropped IMO. Most of it contributed nothing to the overall narrative

3. All that said, I actually think that the Maximus actor is actually quite good. He was just given a crap, uneven part and yet manages to make something of it and show a little range. This guy could be a replacement for Kang in the MCU one hundo

4. The side story about vault 32 or whatever is introducing some unwelcomed mystery box crap evocative of aughts television IMO. I hope it pays off, but it feels like the writers are drafting new threads for no reason

It strikes me that this is managing to succeed while taking the exact opposite approach of Last of Us. Where that show was a retelling of the game's story in a form that could be accessible to anyone, regardless of if they ever touched the games, Fallout tells an original story but is aimed squarely at fans of the games, like if you have no experience with the games the show might be a little confusing and not that appealing. But it's great for fans.
i don't know. i mean, is it aimed at fans, or is its dark twisted madness simply not as much a surprise? we all played fallout for the first time, & we all experienced the initial disorientation of its weirdly off-center universe. while I'm sure some people found the games unappealing, as well. i just remember being completely charmed by how unique it all was, & kinda enjoying the confusion. & I have been ever since...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Walter Goggins is literally the worst actor that has ever acted. I include all the actors pre invention of the Television in my objective assessment.

Two episodes in so far. Not gonna finish it.

StueyDuck

there's nothing humorous about Lucy being cavalier about sex, she just is, she's also not "a whore", inversely, someone growing up in an environment sterilised from anything sexual and being fed weird stories about it is completely in character and not some weird "bad 90s era teen comedy", he didn't even say what you put in quotes, he described what someone else told him.
You just wind up sounding like some 60 year old man raised in church who's projecting his own myopic values on some alternate future society that lives in bunkers to survive.
Lol you are trying waaay to hard to defend bad writing.

The joke is that she's a whore.otherwise she simply would not say those things, just like real people don't either In real life. This is also vaults designed around 50s values. The whole point of vault dwellers is that they are disgustingly innocent as the show tries to imply many times throughout the narrative, but she's willing to fuck everything she sees apparently, even her cousin, which we reference multiple times because apparently it's so hilarious.

Just because "his friend says it" doesn't mean it's now not a line spoken in a real life tv show for the lols

Of the idea is to portray these characters as ignorant or cavalier about sex, there is 1000 ways to write those lines that doesn't sound like an adolescent 16 year old.

I'm sorry it's bad writing, hence why probably a couple of teens found any of those lines funny.

If you think it's good writing then I'd suggest watching more grown up shows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom