• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Lol you are trying waaay to hard to defend bad writing.

The joke is that she's a whore.otherwise she simply would not say those things, just like real people don't either In real life. This is also vaults designed around 50s values. The whole point of vault dwellers is that they are disgustingly innocent as the show tries to imply many times throughout the narrative, but she's willing to fuck everything she sees apparently, even her cousin, which we reference multiple times because apparently it's so hilarious.

Just because "his friend says it" doesn't mean it's now not a line spoken in a real life tv show for the lols

Of the idea is to portray these characters as ignorant or cavalier about sex, there is 1000 ways to write those lines that doesn't sound like an adolescent 16 year old.

I'm sorry it's bad writing, hence why probably a couple of teens found any of those lines funny.

If you think it's good writing then I'd suggest watching more grown up shows.
Get over yourself, the show is filled with satire and comes across as exactly that.

FireFly

The joke is that she's a whore.otherwise she simply would not say those things, just like real people don't either In real life. This is also vaults designed around 50s values. The whole point of vault dwellers is that they are disgustingly innocent as the show tries to imply many times throughout the narrative, but she's willing to fuck everything she sees apparently, even her cousin, which we reference multiple times because apparently it's so hilarious.

Just because "his friend says it" doesn't mean it's now not a line spoken in a real life tv show for the lols

Of the idea is to portray these characters as ignorant or cavalier about sex, there is 1000 ways to write those lines that doesn't sound like an adolescent 16 year old.

I'm sorry it's bad writing, hence why probably a couple of teens found any of those lines funny.

I don't think the Vault dwellers are really "innocent" since they still have to deal with interpersonal relationships and conflict within the Vault itself. It's just that so much of their lives are regulated and taken care of, they don't have to think for themselves.

I also don't think the Vaults are simply intended to be a mirror of 1950's America. Rather they are social experiments in which specific elements of human nature are controlled to see the (often disastrous) results. What happened in Vault 32 is clearly not something you would expect to see in a "normal" society.

In the case of Vault 33
sex seems to be seen as a way of preserving the integrity of genetic leadership characteristics, rather being given any deep moral or religious significance. And sexual mates are literally "exchanged" for resources, so in some sense everyone in the Vault is treated as a "whore". In that context, it's hardly surprising that social taboos treating sex as "sacred" would not apply.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Get over yourself, the show is filled with satire and comes across as exactly that.
I mean if the childlike humor floats your boat then more power to you.

I guess you should get into yourself or whatever makes you feel good 🤷‍♂️

I don't think the Vault dwellers are really "innocent" since they still have to deal with interpersonal relationships and conflict within the Vault itself. It's just that so much of their lives are regulated and taken care of, they don't have to think for themselves.

I also don't think the Vaults are simply intended to be a mirror of 1950's America. Rather they are social experiments in which specific elements of human nature are controlled to see the (often disastrous) results. What happened in Vault 32 is clearly not something you would expect to see in a "normal" society.

In the case of Vault 33
sex seems to be seen as a way of preserving the integrity of genetic leadership characteristics, rather being given any deep moral or religious significance. And sexual mates are literally "exchanged" for resources, so in some sense everyone in the Vault is treated as a "whore". In that context, it's hardly surprising that social taboos treating sex as "sacred" would not apply.
I mean these are all facts. It still doesn't change that the writing for those jokes just weren't funny and pretty cringe.

I know Americans see the world as sex grrrr or sex awkies tee hee. But like if they are going to make those jokes then at least write them well.

It felt like Seth Rogan took over for those scenes. I watched the the final few episodes with a friend and his wife and neither of them fell over laughing at the cock pimple joke, I will tell you the response from his wife was "hmmm okaaaay".

I don't think it should really be all that insane to ask for better writing 🤣

Cyberpunkd

Finished the season, good finale. A few times the writers had a chance to write really stupid response, but decided to be adults about it. Sometimes there was obvious general public pondering and lame “ha ha ha I get it” jokes, the ones you would listen to on late night show with laugh cue cards. Overall 8/10 and definitely super solid videogame adaptation.

FireFly

I mean these are all facts. It still doesn't change that the writing for those jokes just weren't funny and pretty cringe.

I know Americans see the world as sex grrrr or sex awkies tee hee. But like if they are going to make those jokes then at least write them well.

It felt like Seth Rogan took over for those scenes. I watched the the final few episodes with a friend and his wife and neither of them fell over laughing at the cock pimple joke, I will tell you the response from his wife was "hmmm okaaaay".

I guess if you see those lines as the typical Marvel "quips" where you are supposed to laugh then I can see that point of view. But for me Lucy and Maximus are just weird and awkward people who say weird and awkward things. I see it as part of the flavour of the Fallout universe, coming from a video game with a bunch of weird NPCs.

RagnarokIV

I have to agree with you. Those scenes were terrible and really stuck out from the rest of the show for the wrong reasons. It was embarrassing and not very Fallout style.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes but the show uses a MGS trope about war and change. It was just a joke on my part. But it made me chuckle when they dropped the line.

"War Never Changes" was the first line in the Fallout 1 CG intro, FYI :p

Bonus: According to one of the Fallout creators (producers ?) The cop who shoots the protestor in the head in the above intro is supposed to be the male MC from Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I don’t think of cucks, cocks, or constant sex when I think of Fallout - but clearly the writers do. Maybe hire someone better than perverted simps, Amazon.

Lucy isn’t naive about sex nor is she a whore (at least by Vault 33 standards). She’s simply been conditioned to think differently about sex as part of the experiment for Vault 33. It’s the same reason there’s no taboo against cousin incest in the vault either. The joke is that for Lucy, recreational sex is completely unremarkable and no different than playing a card game to pass time, in contrast to Maximus and his complete unfamiliarity due to his quasi-monastic/militaristic upbringing. If you’ve read Brave New World you’d recognize this and a lot of the other ideas in Fallout as well. You can still think it’s bad writing but I don’t think you even understood the point if you think it’s anything like a Seth Rogan joke.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Lucy isn’t naive about sex nor is she a whore (at least by Vault 33 standards). She’s simply been conditioned to think differently about sex as part of the experiment for Vault 33. It’s the same reason there’s no taboo against cousin incest in the vault either. The joke is that for Lucy, recreational sex is completely unremarkable and no different than playing a card game to pass time, in contrast to Maximus and his complete unfamiliarity due to his quasi-monastic/militaristic upbringing. If you’ve read Brave New World you’d recognize this and a lot of the other ideas in Fallout as well. You can still think it’s bad writing but I don’t think you even understood the point if you think it’s anything like a Seth Rogan joke.

Is the "cock is like a pimple where after it gets hard it explodes" joke also part of the lore/mythos ?

Listen, you're making some good points BUT, you're way overthinking this, the writing of this show on many parts is just juvenile, maybe the guy went overboard with the "whore" thing but as for the rest...You can basically apply Occam's razor, the simpler explanation is that the show's writing isn't all that great and that its silliness it's mostly due to targeting a very specific, younger demographic even taking the games' general tone and humour into consideration.

It is what it is, there's no "lore" or other deeper meaning behind it all.

Last edited:
Nah, you're just showing how conservative you are and seeing boogeymen where there aren't any.
Lucy is not a whore, nor is that a joke, nor are the vaults desiged around 50s values, it's a retrofuture that only looks like the 50s stylistically and satirically.
Lucy's vault literally exchanges resources for breeders, none of them have your myopic values on sex.

Is the "cock is like a pimple where after it gets hard it explodes" joke also part of the lore/mythos ?

Listen, you're making some good points BUT, you're way overthinking this, the writing of this show on many parts is just juvenile, maybe the guy went overboard with the "whore" thing but as for the rest...You can basically apply Occam's razor, the simpler explanation is that the show's writing isn't all that great and that its silliness it's mostly due to targeting a very specific, younger demographic even taking the games' general tone and humour into consideration.

It is what it is, there's no "lore" or other deeper meaning behind it all.
Yeah that joke didn’t land for me either and can be criticized as bad writing, my main point was just that some of the other commenters aren’t really understanding how the characters think at all. Recognizing that some of these themes have been inspired by other works can sometimes help. I’m sure the writers cribbed a lot of ideas from elsewhere too

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Nah, you're just showing how conservative you are and seeing boogeymen where there aren't any.
Lucy is not a whore, nor is that a joke, nor are the vaults desiged around 50s values, it's a retrofuture that only looks like the 50s stylistically and satirically.
Lucy's vault literally exchanges resources for breeders, none of them have your myopic values on sex.
lol oh no you got me, im conservative...

because us South Africans base our lives solely around US politics obviously.

I'm not religious nor "conservative", the writing is just shit.

sexual humor can be funny, this show was basically sausage party levels of comedy. and again when you grow older than 16 that sort of humor isn't really all that funny.

is myopic the word of the day :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StueyDuck

no, the joke is literally that she fucks her cousin... that is the joke.

that's why they pause the moment, zoom in and make a silly for the audience to laugh.

as someone who is not a teenager anymore i didn't really think it was all that funny.

Sleepwalker

sexual humor can be funny, this show was basically sausage party levels of comedy. and again when you grow older than 16 that sort of humor isn't really all that funny.

You're having a mare assuming people must not be older than 16 for liking something you didn't, telling people to watch more "grown up shows" (whatever that means) and generally being an asshole for no reason lol.

You've said your piece, just move on like a normal person instead of resorting to ad hominem.

The joke didn't land for me either, in fact I don't really remember the scene at all but if people liked it thats fine.

This show has IMO bigger flaws than some unremarkable sex jokes in passing.

I think the jokes in Fallout are genuinly funny and not too recurring. I HATED Twisted Metal tv show for that, jokes every 2 minutes, so forced, such fake acting, I couldnt continue after 3 episodes.

Fallout was never a conservative video game franchise and always satired their ideals. The brotherhood member being trans is a huge nothingburger. You have ghouls and chicken fucking but if someone wants to call themselves a man when they were born a women that's the problem. You can also show a guy getting his head crushed by a power armor gauntlet but if Lucy talks about sex too much that's the problem! SMH

no, the joke is literally that she fucks her cousin... that is the joke.

that's why they pause the moment, zoom in and make a silly for the audience to laugh.

as someone who is not a teenager anymore i didn't really think it was all that funny.
You still banging on about this? Good grief man lighten up, why even bother watching the entire series if you felt like this? It's as clear as day the show doesn't take itself too seriously much like the source material.

StueyDuck

Yes you are, and being conservative has nothing to do with US politics, I dunno why you would think it does since nobody is talking about that.
Maybe you're not conservative, but just weird then.
You forgot to say myopic 🤣

Don't know why you feel the need to be the righteous defender of freedom and liberty or whatever this whole bit is...

The jokes were written poorly. If it made you laugh then good for you 🤷‍♂️, you should remind yourself you commented on my own personal opinion with a shitty jab in the first place.

Instead of simply disagreeing you are acting like a child (which doesn't surprise me given the humor).

You're having a mare assuming people must not be older than 16 for liking something you didn't, telling people to watch more "grown up shows" (whatever that means) and generally being an asshole for no reason lol.

You've said your piece, just move on like a normal person instead of resorting to ad hominem.

The joke didn't land for me either, in fact I don't really remember the scene at all but if people liked it thats fine.

This show has IMO bigger flaws than some unremarkable sex jokes in passing.
But my opinion was that the jokes are written poorly and you agree it wasn't funny. Is that not a critique then?

Why should that critique not be allowed on gaf 🤣

People are like 2 steps away from shouting sex work is real work and calling me a nazi because I just thought their sex jokes were juvenile and for season 2 I'd hope they'd improve that writing 🤷‍♂️ is it really a Hitler thing to say I dunno. But it's rustled some Jimmies up in here apparently.
I think the jokes in Fallout are genuinly funny and not too recurring. I HATED Twisted Metal tv show for that, jokes every 2 minutes, so forced, such fake acting, I couldnt continue after 3 episodes.
Twisted metals jokes were pretty crass... I would be lying if I said "dick the muff" or whatever it was, was funny. But the overall tone of that show it didn't stand out considering the whole show was like that.

Fallout was getting really interesting story wise in the last few eps, setting up interesting mysteries and fleshing out characters then out of nowhere we have people shouting cock and saying it's a pimple about to explode. It's almost funny how terribly written it was.

Maybe it's some sort of meta humor, so unfunny that the fact it's not funny is meant to be funny

StueyDuck

You still banging on about this? Good grief man lighten up, why even bother watching the entire series if you felt like this? It's as clear as day the show doesn't take itself too seriously much like the source material.
You responded to me you numpty.

If you don't want a response then don't interact with people.

The jokes were written poorly. If it made you laugh then good for you 🤷‍♂️, you should remind yourself you commented on my own personal opinion with a shitty jab in the first place.
I never said they made me laugh, and I never made some shitty jab either, I mentioned how you come of sounding when saying dumb shit like calling a character a whore just because they, and their entire fictional alternate future community, have a different view on sex than you; you furthermore just keep going on about how juvenile people must be because they don't have a problem with it just shows that you are indeed just projecting.
I don't even know what that attempt at deflecting by talking about US politics was.

DeathGuise

Just finished episode 3 and yeah... the writing sounds like a bunch of millenials were in a room with starbucks for a few hours.

I like the Ghoul. Goggins is always fun to watch. Seeing Emerson was a nice surprise. But that's about it. Think I'm done

Madflavor

Lucy and The Ghoul really carry the show, and it does have some genuinely fun moments. I'm 4 episodes in so far. But yea it's rough around the edges at times. I think The Last of Us is a better show, but I'm more entertained by Fallout so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Trying to pace myself, I want to savor it and not binge. I was able to get in half of another episode during lunch. This show has it all - humor, adventure, gore, tragedy - all while being rather unserious much of the time just like the games.

It sucks this show probably takes a very long time to produce, meaning season two will probably be a long ways off.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I never said they made me laugh, and I never made some shitty jab either, I mentioned how you come of sounding when saying dumb shit like calling a character a whore just because they, and their entire fictional alternate future community, have a different view on sex than you; you furthermore just keep going on about how juvenile people must be because they don't have a problem with it just shows that you are indeed just projecting.
I don't even know what that attempt at deflecting by talking about US politics was.
Did you find the joke funny?

Would you consider yourself juvenile?

If you answer no to both then you actually agree with me.

I think maybe you might be doing the projecting

XXL

Lucy and The Ghoul really carry the show, and it does have some genuinely fun moments. I'm 4 episodes in so far. But yea it's rough around the edges at times. I think The Last of Us is a better show, but I'm more entertained by Fallout so far.
The last 4 episodes are the best in my opinion and yes the actresses who plays Lucy was surprisingly really great, way above my expectations from the trailers.

I know very little about Fallout but the universe seems to have a lot of potential (especially because of all the weird stuff that can happen in each vault). For a game adaptation it was good, but simply ok if compared to other legitimately good other TV shows.

Also, the outside world needs to be more dangerous, it doesn't feel threatening enough.

The show has a lot of half dead characters but Maximus is probably the most dead. The character seemed shoe horned in, like he was written by someone who either didn't care or has just starting their writing career.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Have you read the classic Fallout 3 Hardcore Edition green text meme story? It's very nsfw to post here lol
Holy shit!

Larian ain't got shit on that.

If you think a dick pimple analogue from a monk stand-in character is offensive you better not Google that green text meme story.

It is an incredibly important thing to get wrong and change. It would be akin to saying the Empire was Defeated in The Clone Wars or that Skynet was launched in 1970. It completely shifts and changes the narrative and timeline of the entire franchise.
Somebody give this guy a day off. Jeeze.

Inuteu

Just finished episode 3 and yeah... the writing sounds like a bunch of millenials were in a room with starbucks for a few hours.

I like the Ghoul. Goggins is always fun to watch. Seeing Emerson was a nice surprise. But that's about it. Think I'm done
to me the show just got good in episode 4 and on

JackMcGunns

The score is rising over time rather than falling. Now "Certified Fresh"

oZnFAka.png

engstra

Finished watching the series couple nights ago. 7/10 really enjoyed it. I played Fallout 3 to death as a kid and I think the show catches the vibe really well. It's campy fun.

Highlights were definitely the vaults and their backstory. I would love to see that explored more. The athmosphere and so many nods to the games in everything they do/show is great. Even as a fan of the franchise I would've not been able to tell you what the BoS is or Vault-Tec's backstory so I think the show establishes that quite well (no idea about Enclave though).

As people have already mentioned there are some uneven performances in there. Biggest issue for me is how contrived the storyline is, how the characters keep crossing paths in a vast wasteland.

Could someone explain to me
how Moldaver is still alive after 200 post-nuke? I get how the ghoul or vault overseers are alive but where has she been?

Top Bottom