• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What if it was the armed Zimmerman who pushed the kid first? Oh, we'll never know because there is no eyewitness account of the beginning of the fight. But we do know he's already followed him, got out of his car against police advice...I put my money on Zimmerman starting the altercation.

"run yo skittles, bitch"

Log4Girlz

If Zimmerman gets away scot free, there is an important lesson to learn. If you want someone dead, especially if they are black, just fucking follow them in your car, call the police to warn them of a suspicious person, get out and confront said person against police advice, start a fight, then fucking shoot him. Tada.

What if it was the armed Zimmerman who pushed the kid first? Oh, we'll never know because there is no eyewitness account of the beginning of the fight. But we do know he's already followed him, got out of his car against police advice...I put my money on Zimmerman starting the altercation.
The question is, are you willing to risk convicting an innocent man of murder to go with your best bet?

KHarvey16

And I guess call someone the N word and wave a noose in front of him too and if he swings then boom, he's dead :/ I mean if that were the scenario, that's perfectly legal too right?

The noose would likely constitute a direct threat.

So you don't think he was racially profiling the boy?

I don't know if he was. Legally it isn't a factor in the issue of him defending himself or not.

..Okay. So a suspicious individual is spotted -possibly dangerous-, and your options are:

1. Call emergency
2. Get out of the car to assess the situation
3. Stay in car and wait for help
4. Call emergency, ignore advice, and then get out of car to assess situation

And you pick 4? Really? I mean, seems this is pretty simple; the precursor was getting out of the car. Who gets out to confront a person they find suspicious enought to call 911 about anyway? And with a gun ready. Just in case right?

Are you asking me in terms of what is legal? Also, where was his gun during this? You say ready as if he had it in his hand. Did he? We don't know, and I imagine if the police suspected this they would have responded differently since it certainly has an impact on the legality of the man's actions.

Yeah ... the kid walking home to bring his brother skittles started the fight. It wasn't the man following the kid out of suspision in a car. It wasn't the man getting out of the car to confront the kid. It was clearly the kid.

I didn't say it was clearly anything. Your position is that it is impossible for it to be true, mine is that it is possible. Guess who carries a burden in that scenario? I assure you it isn't the person who isn't making a claim(or...not me, in other words).

Log4Girlz

The question is, are you willing to risk convicting an innocent man of murder to go with your best bet?

I don't see him as an innocent man. He followed a minor in a car, got out against police advice to confront him and shot him dead. I do not believe it was the minor who started the fight. And if he HAD, I see it as justifiable self-defense. Who the fuck gets out of a car and confronts a person in the middle of the night.

...how? He was just stating that the other person still has the misconception that it was an officer who shot the teen.

And thats the post that you leave for?

You should read my posts. I'm saying the fact that someone actually thinks this guy is an officer now. Just wow. And I'm not talking about Foxy Fox.

horsebird

Banned
He'll give a teary-eyed confession and get off with a slap on the wrist. I'd bet $1000 on it.

I think the black kid realized he was being followed and, understandably, freaked out. I think Zimmerman sincerely believed he was being a community hero, panicked when the guy he was following went aggro, and shot him. I really don't believe he intended on killing the kid. Yeah, his decision to follow the kid was definitely racially motivated, but I don't think he was on some American History X level of racism.

K5Fdj.gif

Log4Girlz

The noose would likely constitute a direct threat.

And following someone in a car, and getting out to confront when this person has done nothing isn't? I see it as a direct threat. I can easily see how the boy could have seen his life in direct danger. If he had a gun and shot Zimmerman right then and there, I wouldn't be surprised if he got away scot free by arguing he truly felt endangered.

Aeonin

I don't see him as an innocent man. He followed a minor in a car, got out against police advice to confront him and shot him dead. I do not believe it was the minor who started the fight. And if he HAD, I see it as justifiable self-defense. Who the fuck gets out of a car and confronts a person in the middle of the night.

So does this then go to court for a jury of peers to decide?

Whats the next action on this? Is he scott free?

If 12 of us had to put in verdicts. What would they be? GUILTY.

DY_nasty

It's a serious question. I'm asking him if he just thinks he most likely did it or does he also think he should be convicted of murder, which are two truly separate questions. Did you just not understand it?

no no no

i understand it perfectly fine

(but if he's innocent of anything... well, he'd have to be arrested before we can even get to that point right? lolololol)

also, the number of innocent minorities that would've been - have been - put under the jailhouse for things much, much foggier than this ordeal.... ooooooooo i drink it up

no no no

(but if he's innocent of anything... well, he'd have to be arrested before we can even get to that point right? lolololol)

also, the number of innocent minorities that would've been - have been - put under the jailhouse for things much, much foggier than this ordeal.... ooooooooo i drink it up

Time to bring that av back.

Log4Girlz

So does this then go to court for a jury of peers to decide?

Whats the next action on this? Is he scott free?

If 12 of us had to put in verdicts. What would they be? GUILTY.

I cannot imagine any further evidence coming to light which would produce anything other than a guilty verdict for Zimmerman. I don't foresee the 911 audio tape revealing any further details that could possibly incriminate the young man. I could be wrong, I will not be in the jury.

KHarvey16

I guess I did. I am looking through all these stories and I can't find any that say this:

Which is what you said. I'm seriously asking at this point, did I just miss a story?

The police released him, meaning they could not pin murder on him. The report details his injuries.

The report is talked about here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...illed-sanford-police-20120308,0,1380794.story

Well there ya go. I must've missed that.

Although going by the call to 911 that he was tailing the teen, leaving his car to go to him with a loaded gun - I'd say if we were talking about STARTING it, I'd say it was him. But now I think you're kind of in a gray area that I can understand.

Any indication of what started the fight? According to the one who lived? Or eyewitnesses?

I imagine the police are making that the focus of their ongoing investigation. They'll present their findings to the state for prosecution if it's warranted.

I never said he was a racist... although liking music from black people doesn't mean you're not a racist. Daniel Carver likes Eddie Murphy movies and he was a grand dragon in the Klan.

I was joking. Black myself.

Anyway looking at his Facebook page it's seem clear what this person's mindset is.

Aeonin

I cannot imagine any further evidence coming to light which would produce anything other than a guilty verdict for Zimmerman. I don't foresee the 911 audio tape reveling any further details that could possibly incriminate the young man. I could be wrong, I will not be in the jury.

Considering my time on a jury, and seeing how most jury members think - ie: like KHarvey. I'd say he'll get away without even a slap on the wrist to show for it. He will get away with murder.

Log4Girlz

Considering my time on a jury, and seeing how most jury members think - ie: like KHarvey. I'd say he'll get away without even a slap on the wrist to show for it. He will get away with murder.

Oooh that is absolutely certain.

If Zimmerman gets away scot free, there is an important lesson to learn. If you want someone dead, especially if they are black, just fucking follow them in your car, call the police to warn them of a suspicious person, get out and confront said person against police advice, start a fight, then fucking shoot him. Tada.

This is the lesson I will learn.

KHarvey16

And following someone in a car, and getting out to confront when this person has done nothing isn't? I see it as a direct threat. I can easily see how the boy could have seen his life in direct danger. If he had a gun and shot Zimmerman right then and there, I wouldn't be surprised if he got away scot free by arguing he truly felt endangered.

Driving behind someone and then getting out to speak to them or walk over to them doesn't alone constitute a threat. Do you think that would justify you punching someone in the nose for doing that? I don't think you do. Did he approach with his gun out? Did he drive onto the sidewalk and slam on his brakes? Did he get out and scream at him to get on the ground? All of those could potentially be seen as threats that justified some kind of response. But we don't know what happened there.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It didn't start when he left his car.

The kid was walking, while he followed him in his car, which the dispatcher recommended he not do. This is straight from the police.

So the boy was being followed by a strange man in a car, who then left his car and approached. WITH A GUN. Holstered or not, does it matter to the perception of threat?

I'd rather ask if the dead boy acted in self defense.

Who had more logical reason to perceive they were in danger? The man in the car, with the gun, or the young boy being followed?

KHarvey16

You presumed guilt during your time as a juror? Interesting.

DY_nasty

Driving behind someone and then getting out to speak to them or walk over to them doesn't alone constitute a threat. Do you think that would justify you punching someone in the nose for doing that? I don't think you do. Did he approach with his gun out? Did he drive onto the sidewalk and slam on his brakes? Did he get out and scream at him to get on the ground? All of those could potentially be seen as threats that justified some kind of response. But we don't know what happened there.

The fuck?
Who had more logical reason to perceive they were in danger? The man in the car, with the gun, or the young boy being followed?

Tough call. Those skittles... were they sour?

Log4Girlz

The fuck?

Derwind

Did you just not understand it?

The circumstances go as follows, he followed a minor from his car on suspicion that is yet to be determined(LAWL), he then engages the individual on said suspicions, he gets into an altercation with that same minor he followed & engaged for undetermined suspicions, he shoots dead said individual....

Lets ignore the whole kid being dead thing...

But there was no merit to his suspicions, the kid was alone,minding his own business and only had a soft drink & candy in his persons, whereas the man had a gun....

This same man ignored police dispatchers and engaged the kid...

Forget manslaughter, this is a case of complete and utter incompetence.

Air

Banned
I just can't figure out why you would willingly go up to someone suspicious to handle the matter. What would you expect? To talk them out of the crime? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy tailed the kid after he left a grocery store right? What exactly would you buy in a grocery store that will make you look suspicious afterward. This isn't even factoring the racial motivation (or should I say potential, since we just don't have every nuanced detail). I can't see how you can argue for the guy when the onus is was on him. Had he not gone out, a few of things could have happened:

Kid goes home with skittles.
Kid continues to act suspicious and cops confront him, either imprisoning him, or letting him go.
Kid is suspicious, police arrive late, kid gets away.
Kid is suspicious, neighborhood watch guy continues to stalk him and reports his findings to police.

All of these could have happened had he not got out of the car, which I think is without a doubt the smartest choice. Every action after that is simply hard to defend because it goes back to "why would you willingly go into a potentially dangerous situation without aid from police."?

Tell that to a woman who walks home late at night to be stalked by some creeper. The bold is a textbook indication of a potential threat.

Aeonin

The kid was walking, while he followed him in his car, which the dispatcher recommended he not do. This is straight from the police.

So the boy was being followed by a strange man in a car, who then left his car and approached. WITH A GUN. Holstered or not, does it matter to the perception of threat?

I'd rather ask if the dead boy acted in self defense!

I think I'm taking a similar stance. Sure, tailing a person in the middle of the night isn't considered a threat. Walking up to said person isn't a threat. But tailing someone and then walking up to them with a gun (holstered or not)- IS a threat (as long as you're not a cop).

Derwind

I'd rather ask if the dead boy acted in self defense.

THIS.

KHarvey16

I think I'm taking a similar stance. Sure, tailing a person in the middle of the night isn't considered a threat. Walking up to said person isn't a threat. But tailing someone and then walking up to them with a gun (holstered or not)- IS a threat (as long as you're not a cop).

Is Florida an open carry state? Was he carrying openly?

Ya this is quite shocking. I know that I would definitely feel threatened by that and demand that the person say what the fuck they are doing and to fuck off.

You could certainly say anything you like to him. A physical response wouldn't legally be justified.

Log4Girlz

You believe that legally that is a threatening act? Can you cite a law for me?

Depends on the person's skin color. If it was a black person following a white man in a car, then getting out of the car to confront him said white person...it would be a huge threat and the white man would get away scott free if he shot the black man.

DY_nasty

Please blow that out your ass.

When someone follows you in a car in the middle of the night, you don't find that threatening? When he gets out of the car, with (best case scenario here) something bulky around his waste or in his jacket, you don't find that threatening?

Aeonin

Cmon man. Believing that its threatening and it being a law have nothing to do with each other. Except that the former can become the latter if enough people fight for it.

no no no

It is absolutely true that minorities get convicted on shaky evidence much more often, but that wouldn't excuse to any degree the same kind of injustice happening to a non-minority. I simply want him to be convicted or acquitted based on a solid idea of burden of proof.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy tailed the kid after he left a grocery store right? What exactly would you buy in a grocery store that will make you look suspicious afterward.
No, the whole thing seems to have happened inside this gated development, which the kid had re-entered after leaving the grocery store.

DY_nasty

It is absolutely true that minorities get convicted on shaky evidence much more often, but that wouldn't excuse to any degree the same kind of injustice happening to a non-minority.

So basically you got "what if he's innocent!" to my "what if he's guilty :| and this dude should at least be locked up for rogueing out"

edit: burden of proof? waaaaaaaaat. why do yal keep acting like people DONT get locked up before clear cut cases loaded with evidence, testimonies, and CSI shit are laid out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom