• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interviews Nomura at E3 - More details on KH3 and FFXV

Voror

Wait, so is Re:Coded actually worth picking up?

Would Toriyama still be focused on LR or would he be at a point where he could be working on other projects?

Famassu

Yeah, but I'm saying that people will want to keep replaying the game if it's truly great. I've replayed my favorite Final Fantasy games dozens of times. In fact, I played FFX at least once or twice a year until S-E announced the HD remaster (I've been waiting for that ever since).
Not nearly everybody does that. A lot of people barely have the time to play massive games like FFXV once, they aren't going to play it any more once they've finished it unless there's something to entice them to do it (like, say, a monster arena where you can fight badass monsters in coop, like KH BBS).

At this point, FFXV does not really exist as a playable game until someone actually plays it. Nomura's comments are suspect about how smooth the game is.
It's clearly being played in the battle gameplay vid. It probably didn't have a playable demo because the game is still somewhat far from release and they don't want to spend time on a demo yet (when it's such an unfinished build of the game) because every demo they make is time taken away from actually finishing the game. Better save that for maybe next year's E3 or something. Before that they can just show gameplay just as well.

Wait, so is Re:Coded actually worth picking up?
Yes, for the gameplay. As a game it's kind of a BBS lite with some decently fun gameplay-gimmicks in each world.

Not sure but the combat system is a carbon copy of BBS so it's no wonder it's so good...and of course it had the great matrix system as well. In fact, from gameplay perspective, I'd say Re:Coded was the pinnacle of the series.

Not sure I'd say pinnacle of the series, but I'd say Re:Coded builds on Birth by Sleep's combat and mechanics far better than KH3D does.

duckroll

Not sure I'd say pinnacle of the series, but I'd say Re:Coded builds on Birth by Sleep's combat and mechanics far better than KH3D does.

I'll say both yes and no to that. I feel that Re:Coded is more similar to BbS between the two. But that also means it took less risks and didn't experiment much at all. I appreciate the level of experimentation in KH3D with the BbS system at the base, but I didn't like the results. Re:Coded was safer, and things worked better because they were so much closer to the foundations which already worked in BbS, but I don't think it really did much to improve or evolve the actual system. BbS is still way more fun and has a more robust system in the end.

I'm glad they tried all the stuff they did in KH3D though, because hopefully they'll take the feedback to heart, and having played the finished game themsevlves, I hope the team reflects on what worked and what didn't and draw the same conclusions as many fans on what needs to be fixed in future.

Nocturno999

I think they were in development hell and decided to freeze the projects until next-gen. Hopefully that means a 2014 release date.

I want Parasite Eve for next gen consoles SE.

I'll say both yes and no to that. I feel that Re:Coded is more similar to BbS between the two. But that also means it took less risks and didn't experiment much at all. I appreciate the level of experimentation in KH3D with the BbS system at the base, but I didn't like the results. Re:Coded was safer, and things worked better because they were so much closer to the foundations which already worked in BbS, but I don't think it really did much to improve or evolve the actual system. BbS is still way more fun and has a more robust system in the end.

I'm glad they tried all the stuff they did in KH3D though, because hopefully they'll take the feedback to heart, and having played the finished game themsevlves, I hope the team reflects on what worked and what didn't and draw the same conclusions as many fans on what needs to be fixed in future.

Ah, fair enough. KH3D was definitely a riskier endeavor in those regards.

I think if there's one thing from Re:Coded worth cribbing, it's the keyblade ability trees. It made nearly every weapon useful by the end of the game, which is great, since most of the time, you're just conditioned to use whatever weapon has the highest stats.

Voror

Yes, for the gameplay. As a game it's kind of a BBS lite with some decently fun gameplay-gimmicks in each world.

May have to check that out then. Thanks.

I think if there's one thing from Re:Coded worth cribbing, it's the keyblade ability trees. It made nearly every weapon useful by the end of the game, which is great, since most of the time, you're just conditioned to use whatever weapon has the highest stats.

That does sound like a rather good mechanic. Were any of the abilities simply learned permanently or were they all tied to the specific keyblade?

duckroll

Considering the huge focus on having many different weapons for Noctis in XV, I actually hope that Nomura considers adopting something like that for the game first. Seems like it could be a really good fit.

I'm definitely going to be curious to see how KH3 will be able to fit a bunch of really interesting moves into it *without* some version of the Command Deck system.

Re:CoM's sleights and the command deck from BBS/Coded/DDD give all of those games far greater move diversity than KH1/2.

However, KH1/2 do a better job with basic melee combat modifiers (with the assorted different combo starters and finishers, for example). The very basic spell trees for KH1/2 are much less interesting than the stuff you can do in the Command Deck games, though.

edit: oh, and the Command Deck's system of giving each individual special attack/magic spell its own reload time does a far more elegant job of eliminating the MP problem than KH1 or KH2 do.

That does sound like a rather good mechanic. Were any of the abilities simply learned permanently or were they all tied to the specific keyblade?

Tied to the keyblade. There's one keyblade for example, that has a high chance of inflicting the Burn status effect on enemies, which is actually something of a requirement for areas near the end of the game. There's also another keyblade stacked with white magic abilities like Regen & Cure Boosts, which made it useful in areas where you might be having trouble and you're taking a little too much damage than you'd like. It's pretty neat.

Considering the huge focus on having many different weapons for Noctis in XV, I actually hope that Nomura considers adopting something like that for the game first. Seems like it could be a really good fit.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, especially considering Noctis can switch them out on the fly. It could lead to some pretty interesting possibilities.

raven777

read nomura's interview with korean site ruliweb.

Nothing really new, but some things that were interesting were

-he was considering corss-gen between PS3/PS4 and actually developed for about a year with cross-gen in mind, but he felt what he wanted to achieve was not possible on PS3 so he just went next-gen only.

-he mentions the engine they are using for XV is Luminous engine. But the wording is weird in that he says "it is the same engine called luminous engine that we have been using since PS3 versus development.' so it could still be custom engine with Luminous tech in it.

-some resources from versus is used in XV but game's base system is completely new.

Piers

I want to believe KH3 can hit those visuals, yet we already see indications of 'target' graphics being missed by varying degree such as UE4. That and bullshot videos.

While it's a long shot (and they would of done this in pre-rendered scenes by now), I hope they improve the animated expressions on the some of the Disney characters - particularly Mickey Mouse. He looks empty and constantly smiling like the creepy mascot of Disneyland.

That could be really neat. I still really want to see what playing as a magic-focused character would be like. The way the fire spell actually ignites the Behemoth in that video is crazy cool, and I want to see more of that sort of stuff.

duckroll

-he was considering corss-gen between PS3/PS4 and actually developed for about a year with cross-gen in mind, but he felt what he wanted to achieve was not possible on PS3 so he just went next-gen only.

-he mentions the engine they are using for XV is Luminous engine. But the wording is weird in that he says "it is the same engine called luminous engine that we have been using since PS3 versus development.' so it could still be custom engine with Luminous tech in it.

-some resources from versus is used in XV but game's base system is completely new.

Thanks. Yeah the Luminous thing still seems really odd. Especially with Hashimoto only saying that XV uses technology from Luminous. They're probably using parts of Luminous which work for them, which seems good enough from what we've seen. Hopefully this doesn't mean that Luminous Studio itself is running into development issues on a whole.

When you say base system, is he talking about the gameplay? Does that mean they retained the story and art assets, but rebooted the game design completely?

Voror

Tied to the keyblade. There's one keyblade for example, that has a high chance of inflicting the Burn status effect on enemies, which is actually something of a requirement for areas near the end of the game. There's also another keyblade stacked with white magic abilities like Regen & Cure Boosts, which made it useful in areas where you might be having trouble and you're taking a little too much damage than you'd like. It's pretty neat.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, especially considering Noctis can switch them out on the fly. It could lead to some pretty interesting possibilities.

That is very cool and it'd be great to see something like that incorporated into KHIII. Make it so that all those Keyblades you have by the end of the game aren't all useless. Maybe they could even have something special unlock on the Kingdom Key that makes it still useful by the end of the game.

It would certainly be more interesting then simply being based on which is stronger or something like that, though I wonder if it might be hard to balance something like that with Noctis having access to them all.

That bit seems rather interesting. So they imported some things, but started from scratch on others which may include the battle system.

raven777

Thanks. Yeah the Luminous thing still seems really odd. Especially with Hashimoto only saying that XV uses technology from Luminous. They're probably using parts of Luminous which work for them, which seems good enough from what we've seen. Hopefully this doesn't mean that Luminous Studio itself is running into development issues on a whole.

When you say base system, is he talking about the gameplay? Does that mean they retained the story and art assets, but rebooted the game design completely?

I think he is talking about the actual raw game data(like codes I guess?). The question asks how much of the data from versus is still used in XV(like you have been working 6 years on PS3, so wtf are you going to do with all those codes you programmed for PS3 version).

OnFire331

Ultros posted something that suggests that Toriyama might be involved in KH3 (I strongly doubt it and suspect that the writers misunderstood).

That would a worst case scenario, we might see how the KH can become even more convoluted.

And hey, raven777, that's my avatar. :p

Verendus

Banned
Luminous is not necessarily fully what it's supposed to be yet. They're still adding things here and there I think. So what they're using for FF15 is customised and not exactly the full Luminous if that makes sense. Basically, it's a custom engine. That's the best way I've understood it.

My tech explanation is shit. I do try.

duckroll

I think he is talking about the actual raw game data(like codes I guess?). The question asks how much of the data from versus is still used in XV(like you have been working 6 years on PS3, so wtf are you going to do with all those codes you programmed for PS3 version).

Oh, yeah that makes even more sense. Thanks again! :)

Voror

Luminous is not necessarily fully what it's supposed to be yet. They're still adding things here and there I think. So what they're using for FF15 is customised and not exactly the full Luminous if that makes sense. Basically, it's a custom engine. That's the best way I've understood it.

My tech explanation is shit. I do try.

Ha, new avatar!

Is this what was meant when they said the game might improve as development went along, or something like that? Like they may be able to incorporate or adjust things?

Ixion

A lot of people barely have the time to play massive games like FFXV once

So they don't have the time to play it again, but they do have the time to keep playing it? I'm confused.

I think your point is that people will be more interested in online modes rather than replaying the game. I suppose this is subjective, but I feel some online battle modes will not be nearly as lasting as delivering a great story and adventure that fans would want to experience again and again throughout the years.

Zoe

Yeah, but I'm saying that people will want to keep replaying the game if it's truly great. I've replayed my favorite Final Fantasy games dozens of times. In fact, I played FFX at least once or twice a year until S-E announced the HD remaster (I've been waiting for that ever since).

You may replay RPG's once or twice a year (and you would be a minority in that), but many people play the same shooters daily.

Ixion

You may replay RPG's once or twice a year (and you would be a minority in that), but many people play the same shooters daily.

C'mon now. If this game turns out to be a fantastic game, don't you think fans will be playing it for a good while? All the sudden Final Fantasy is just a game you complete in three days and forget about?

I'm not opposed to online elements. I'm just saying they're certainly not necessary.

Zoe

C'mon now. If this game turns out to be a fantastic game, don't you think fans will be playing it for a good while? All the sudden Final Fantasy is just a game you complete in three days and forget about?

I'm not opposed to online elements. I'm just saying they're certainly not necessary.

I'd go so far as to say most people don't bother finishing their RPG's, regardless of the quality.

Mokubba

- S-E is interested in expanding new FF experiences on the PS Vita, as well as smartphones and tablets. They won't be the same old FF experiences, but something new

Ok I'm happy because it was starting to look like all we would get is that goblin game at launch.

Reveirg

By the way, Yoko Shimomura has been re-confirmed as FFXV's composer.

It was pretty evident from the trailer music but it's nice to see it confirmed again.

OnFire331

By the way, Yoko Shimomura has been re-confirmed as FFXV's composer.

It was pretty evident from the trailer music but it's nice to see it confirmed again.

I can't wait to hear what she comes up with in FFXV, the tracks so far are few but so good.

Stark

Banned
Wait, so they have 3 engines? FFXV is not on Luminous?

Crystal Tools
FFXV engine
Luminous Engine

Luminous is not complete yet. It's not Crystal Tools, but its a mix of, what I assume is an updated version of that engine for Versus with more parts of Luminous mixed in. Either way, it looks good lol.

Soriku

With RPGs after you've either 100%'d the game or you did enough that you're satisfied with it (which comes to 80-100 hours on average in a game with a lot of extra content?) you pretty much put the game aside unless you want to replay it. You can pop it in every now and then to do some battles but it's usually not all that fun by that point, plus you're probably so high leveled that you're trashing everything anyway.

So not that 80-100 hours + the extra time you put in the game is short but he wants to give you a bigger reason to stick with the game after you've fully completed it, contrary to a lot of other RPGs I guess.

Voror

It's not a bad idea really but I hope the main game is 80-100+ hours in the end with lots of secrets and side stuff.

Soriku

I was just thinking that for the online in KH3 at least they have a chance to experiment with KH 2.5 Remix. The Mirage Arena is a multiplayer component already in BBS, and I believe you can go online with it with ad-hoc but not an actual online infrastructure. They can try adding online to that and maybe change/add some things, and see how people react to it while considering the online for KH3.

Famassu

I can't wait to hear what she comes up with in FFXV, the tracks so far are few but so good.
I'm almost certain this will become her best work to date, perhaps even her magnum opus (though of course I'd hope to get stuff of equal greatness if this does become her greatest work so far, but I'm not sure if she'll compose as important & big projects as this one in the future, so I'm being realistic).

Ixion

he wants to give you a bigger reason to stick with the game after you've fully completed it, contrary to a lot of other RPGs I guess.

Yeah, he just needs to provide a fantastic, memorable adventure. Then I'll want to relive it multiple times.

Of course I won't be playing it every single day until the next Final Fantasy game, if that's what you're referring to. But I wouldn't do that either if there were good online modes. There will be plenty of other great games to play.

Top Bottom