• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu July 14 (DQ9 review)

Quixzlizx

wrowa said:
In my opinion handhelds are better suited for this genre

Can someone explain this to me? For any genre at all? Because if you mention anything about portability, you aren't talking about genre or gameplay at all, but your personal gaming patterns.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Angeles said:
You want FF13 on psp too instead of ps3?

Probably. No point in making RPGs on consoles anymore. Handhelds are clearly much more suited for the genre now.

/snark. :lol

Quixzlizx said:
Can someone explain this to me? For any genre at all? Because if you mention anything about portability, you aren't talking about genre or gameplay at all, but your personal gaming patterns.

Prepare yourself...

Kintaro

Hcoregamer00 said:
Goddamn, this is really starting to look like DQ9 announcement, but in micro form.

So much RAGE.

If you keep telling yourself that, it's bound to come true at one point right?

NeoGIF

biocat said:
It says you can pick a mission of varying difficulty (the picture shows a mission where you have to defeat all the enemies), then pick a character and a weapon (if you're playing alone the second character will be controlled by the computer, and then you do the mission together (most are apparently boss fights.)

Cool. Thanks for the info.

dumbass_

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Goddamn, this is really starting to look like DQ9 announcement, but in micro form.

So much RAGE.

It's kinda awkward that all of sudden people wants the game on PSP/WII or even the freaking DS when nobody gave a fuck about valkyria chronicles on the ps3 and many of these people didnt even play valkyria chronicles yet

These people do not care about the game itself they care about the platform and call us close minded for only wanting the game on PS3 when people who actually cares about the game bought a PS3 for it and now they are asking them to buy PSP too

:lol

Azure J

Well, I just caught up on everything in the thread. Seeing that the main team that did the PS3 version is on board and hearing that the Canvas engine will be in play only made the deal that much better. :D

Now to actually get a PSP.
And a PS3 for VC1 for that matter. I'm tired of mooching offa people to play it. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kintaro said:
If you keep telling yourself that, it's bound to come true at one point right?

Yeah, in second thought it may be a little too much since half the people are bitching, and half the people are actually happy for the announcement.

Angeles said:
It's kinda awkward that all of sudden people wants the game on PSP/WII or even the freaking DS when nobody gave a fuck about valkyria chronicles on the ps3 and many of these people didnt even play valkyria chronicles yet

These people do not care about the game itself they care about the platform and call us close minded for only wanting the game on PS3 when people who actually cares about the game bought a PS3 for it and now they are asking them to buy PSP too

:lol

It is even more awkward when more people didn't buy the game until the price dropped, and then they get mad when SEGA considers other platforms.

Quixzlizx said:

Being able to put your ds/psp in sleep mode and then come back and finish a long battle makes strategy rpg's more suitable for handheld's, particularly if those SRPG's don't have a suspend feature.

Paracelsus

Obsolete Observation said:
Being able to put your ds/psp in sleep mode and then come back and finish a long battle makes strategy rpg's more suitable for handheld's, particularly if those SRPG's don't have a suspend feature.

In the original VC you could save after every single move during battle, so no, just no.

Enron

Banned
Well, I own a ps3 and a PSP, so that's not the source of my rage.

Also, wtfh @ SRPGs being "better suited" for handhelds. I wish I could choke you people.

Edit: I bought mine on day1 @ full price. That makes me an O.G.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, in second thought it may be a little too much since half the people are bitching, and half the people are actually happy for the announcement.

It is even more awkward when more people didn't buy the game until the price dropped, and then they get mad when SEGA considers other platforms.

That's a false dichotomy. :p

And I pre-ordered... at Gamestop!!! Where are my reparations??

Kintaro

Hcoregamer00 said:

Lame argument. Blame Sega for putting out VC at a time swamped with way, way, way bigger titles around it. Hell, if it wasn't for GameStop and a re-release by Sega themselves at a cheaper price, they would have fucked themselves over good. You know it too. Lame argument. Angeles pretty much called it.

Rolf NB

Regulus Tera said:
In all honesty, I would have sayed yes a few months ago. Right now my hype for that title is in the negative numbers.
So let me get this straight. Your hype for FF13 is in the negative. You hate it now. You want to watch it fail ... and you think it would be a particularly big, gleeful failure if it were a PSP game?

Hcoregamer00

Enron said:
Edit: I bought mine on day1 @ full price. That makes me an O.G.

Quixzlizx said:
That's a false dichotomy. :p

And I pre-ordered... at Gamestop!!! Where are my reparations??

I did too, I even went all the way to the Gamestop upper management to get my damn preorder bonus. I even bought two copies of the damn game and convinced 7 friends and family to buy the game.

You are directing your anger at the wrong person.

Kintaro said:
Lame argument. Blame Sega for putting out VC at a time swamped with way, way, way bigger titles around it. Hell, if it wasn't for GameStop and a re-release by Sega themselves at a cheaper price, they would have fucked themselves over good. You know it too. Lame argument. Angeles pretty much called it.

I called it even before the game was released in the USA, that doesn't dismiss the fact that the game sold poorly enough that they thought a move in platform would lead to greater success.

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
I did too, I even went all the way to the Gamestop upper management to get my damn preorder bonus. I even bought two copies of the damn game and connived 7 friends and family to buy the game.

You are directing your anger at the wrong person.

The second line was a joke. The first line was mentioning that you could still be happy about the announcement while "bitching" at the handheld evangelists that seem to be out in Bizarro World.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
I called it even before the game was released in the USA, that doesn't dismiss the fact that the game sold poorly enough that they thought a move in platform would lead to greater success.

Or you can switch platforms for strategic reasons, MH3 being a good example. I still think it's Sega's way of building the franchise. It's a smart decision and I'm happy for VC on the psp, but I can't deny I want my console fix with high production values too. Here's hoping for a third VC in the works.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
Or you can switch platforms for strategic reasons, MH3 being a good example. I still think it's Sega's way of building the franchise. It's a smart decision and I'm happy for VC on the psp, but I can't deny I want my console fix with high production values too. Here's hoping for a third VC in the works.

Sega's way of building the franchise was the Anime. If they really wanted it for strategic reasons, they would have announced a Wii version simultaneously.

Kintaro

Hcoregamer00 said:

Well, good luck to them. After I told this news to some friends of mine who enjoyed the game on PS3 and wanted to see more, they were bummed as hell. They'll play the game alright, but Sega won't see a dime. =/ Cest la vie.

Also, to the person who pointed out that PSP on monitor stuff? Thanks, but I don't have the time nor motivation to bother with the homebrew and trouble to try that shit. Not worth it to me. Thanks though.

Seriously though that is a massive rack...like way too big for 1935. I've been reading wikipedia looking for the part where this lady gets infused with breast-inflating demon blood but no dice.

Dunno what the problem with the PSP is though. People complain about the lack of games then when games are announced they complain about that.

Grimmy said:
I hope that more developers will consider bringing their mainline titles to the PSP. Namco Bandai, learn from Sega's example! Make a Tales mainline game on the PSP!

I'd rather they just stop making those stupid games.

Grimmy

Banned
I hope that more developers will consider bringing their mainline titles to the PSP. Namco Bandai, learn from Sega's example! Make a Tales mainline game on the PSP!

Angeles said:
You want FF13 on psp too instead of ps3?

Sure. Why not?

Hcoregamer00

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously though that is a massive rack...like way too big for 1935. I've been reading wikipedia looking for the part where this lady gets infused with breast-inflating demon blood but no dice.

To be fair, Selvaria and Alicia are the only two characters in a very large cast with large proportions. Most of the females in Valkyria Chronicles have fairly realistic proportions.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dunno what the problem with the PSP is though. People complain about the lack of games then when games are announced they complain about that.

Pretty much, Sega can't win.

They make a big budget RPG, it doesn't sell as well as expected.

They move to a platform with lower development costs, people complain that Sega didn't make another big budget RPG.

Chalk me up as disappointed about Valkyria 2. I may still buy it, but I'd much prefer playing the game in beautiful HD and with all of the other benefits a console presents. It seems to me that the only people who are "glad" this is coming out on a handheld instead of a console either a) are glad it's coming out at all, which is completely moot to the argument or b) don't have a PS3 to play it on. I'm pretty sure that if you asked almost anyone what they'd RATHER play it on, they'd say console, and that's the most logical choice. Unfortunately, it won't make them as much money, so it probably won't happen.

Here's hoping that they're also in the midst of making a full HD console version that will just come out later on.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Sega's way of building the franchise was the Anime. If they really wanted it for strategic reasons, they would have announced a Wii version simultaneously.

If you've noticed closely, it seems that Sega is trying to make this franchise a playstation franchise. I'm not sure how far they'll keep it that way, but with PSP they're continuing that path. They are gaining momentum and more userbase while keeping that AAA high status exclusiveness. They looked into the psp platform for the reactions the VC trailer got at the E3. At the same time it's a perfect time to release it on the psp. If it gets popular, they can make more for the ps3 and psp simultaneously.

Sega are seriously playing their cards right with VC, excellent management. The way they made VC1 sell good eventually and are pushing for VC2 now.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
If you've noticed closely, it seems that Sega is trying to make this franchise a playstation franchise. I'm not sure how far they'll keep it that way, but with PSP they're continuing that path. They are gaining momentum and more userbase while keeping that AAA high status exclusiveness. They looked into the psp platform for the reactions the VC trailer got at the E3. At the same time it's a perfect time to release it on the psp. If it gets popular, they can make more for the ps3 and psp simultaneously.

Sega are seriously playing their cards right with VC, excellent management. The way they made VC1 sell good eventually and are pushing for VC2 now.

I agree with you in the respect that they seem to be tying the franchise to Sony consoles. After all, having a PS3/X360 simultaneous release would have been better for franchise sales for the original. To go a step further, they could have announced this game simultaneously for the Wii/PS2/PSP, instead they make it PSP-only. Like with the Yakuza franchise, they seem to keep Valkyria exclusive to Sony platforms. Keeping the franchise exclusive is both smart and dumb. It is smart because Sony fans will make the Valkyria franchise their own. It is also dumb because it cuts off lots of potential sales on other platforms.

On the other hand, your PSP post is perfect, I really can't argue against that. Sega is trying to get Valkyria on the PSP in the middle of the console revival, which is the perfect way to get a new market.

dumbass_

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
To be fair, Selvaria and Alicia are the only two characters in a very large cast with large proportions. Most of the females in Valkyria Chronicles have fairly realistic proportions.

Pretty much, Sega can't win.

They make a big budget RPG, it doesn't sell as well as expected.

They move to a platform with lower development costs, people complain that Sega didn't make another big budget RPG.

People complain that it's actually Valkyria Chronicles 2 instead of Valkyria Chronicles Spin off :D i think people would be fine if spin off for psp and valkyria 2 on ps3 announced

Hcoregamer00

Angeles said:
People complain that it's actually Valkyria Chronicles 2 instead of Valkyria Chronicles Spin off :D i think people would be fine if spin off for psp and valkyria 2 on ps3 announced

Either way, it is Valkyria Chronicles 2 for better or for worst.

Like with VC, the sales of this game will determine the future of the franchise, whether it dies in the water or will continue in a different way, shape or form.

Kintaro

Hcoregamer00 said:
On the other hand, your PSP post is perfect, I really can't argue against that. Sega is trying to get Valkyria on the PSP in the middle of the console revival, which is the perfect way to get a new market.

I think you'd be correct if we assume this gets a US release (by the time it comesout in the US, that "revival" could be over). In Japan, there is no PSP revival. It's going steady. No real "revival" to be had there at all. No big events, big franchises, nothing as of late or coming soon except for Kingdom Hearts? <shrugs>.

laserbeam

Banned
Angeles said:

VC would have had to been a success to warrant another PS3 game. As it is they are betting they have a shot to actually sell on the PSP and that could of course backfire too.

Meier

The move is obviously catered towards the Japanese release and honestly, who can blame them. Sold better there, sequel will sell better there and the PSP software world isn't dead there. Just a shame for those of us with PS3s who have no interest in getting a PSP.

Hcoregamer00

Kintaro said:
I think you'd be correct if we assume this gets a US release (by the time it comesout in the US, that "revival" could be over). In Japan, there is no PSP revival. It's going steady. No real "revival" to be had there at all. No big events, big franchises, nothing as of late or coming soon except for Kingdom Hearts? <shrugs>.

I agree with you in that extent, but if Sony's plan goes through in the West, the PSP revival will also make the console a viable platform in the west for the long term. Which means that no matter when Valkyria 2 is released in the states, if Sony's plan goes right, there is a market of people who will likely buy the game.

Of course, the Japanese market will also be getting the flood of titles coming out on the PSP, so they will likely be more receptive to the hardware.

Opiate

Quixzlizx said:

Why is anything better on the TV? Because the screen is bigger and the graphics are better. Those don't affect gameplay either.

You apparently prefer larger screen/better graphics to portability. In neither case should gameplay be directly affected.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
I agree with you in the respect that they seem to be tying the franchise to Sony consoles. After all, having a PS3/X360 simultaneous release would have been better for franchise sales for the original. To go a step further, they could have announced this game simultaneously for the Wii/PS2/PSP, instead they make it PSP-only. Like with the Yakuza franchise, they seem to keep Valkyria exclusive to Sony platforms. Keeping the franchise exclusive is both smart and dumb. It is smart because Sony fans will make the Valkyria franchise their own.

On the other hand, your PSP post is perfect, I really can't argue against that.

I can't argue with you there. An xbox 360/Ps3 release for VC1 could have reached more potential buyers and the same with VC2 wii/ps2/psp. It is one of the possible strategies, they choose an other one to raise public awareness from being exclusive/special. And it seems they're sticking with it for now. It worked for Yakuza (in Japan lol).

rosjos44

Quixzlizx said:
Like I posted before, I don't play on the go, so all else being equal, the handheld version will always be inferior. It has nothing to do with being a graphics/sound whore... if someone offers you $1 or $10, you're going to take $10. What advantage will the actual game have (i.e. not sales age) by being on a portable if you don't game outside the house? If VC2 has to be on the PSP so that VC3 (or VC2) can be made, then so be it, but that's not an argument on why VC2 won't suffer a hit by changing platforms.

If you enjoied the game / series I see no reason why you should not enjoy the next one. Dq 9 is an amazing title and its on a handheld. Which brings me back to my orginal thesis, I think that gamers forgot about the soul / enjoyment of a video game regardless of platform.

donny2112

RpgN said:
It worked for Yakuza (in Japan lol).

Wasn't there a report about Yakuza 3 just breaking even with its sales? Besides, the Yakuza HD games are a personal mission from the creator to justify HD development. Not exactly the same situation as you're putting forward here (i.e. SEGA trying to make VC a Sony-only franchise).

Quixzlizx

Opiate said:
Why is anything better on the TV? Because the screen is bigger and the graphics are better. Those don't affect gameplay either.

You apparently prefer larger screen/better graphics to portability. In neither case should gameplay be directly affected.

1. This statement assumes that gameplay is never affected by the amount of processing power available. This is obviously not the case.

2. Graphics, sound, and presentation are part of the experience of the game. Portability is merely a matter of convenience except in rare instances involving local multiplayer, although local multiplayer can usually be just as effective on a console.

3. Portable games are limited in storage space unless they are download only, and this can affect what is included in the game

I'm afraid I don't see your argument as valid.

rosjos44 said:
If you enjoied the game / series I see no reason why you should not enjoy the next one. Dq 9 is an amazing title and its on a handheld. Which brings me back to my orginal thesis, I think that gamers forgot about the soul / enjoyment of a video game regardless of platform.

Your response ignored everything that I said and was basically, "Well, it'll be a good game anyway." Sterling logic, there.

Masked Man

I said wow
It's interesting to see such a strong disparity between the Famitsu review for Punch-Out!! Wii in light of its near-unanimous praise in US/PAL reviews.

Kintaro

rosjos44 said:

Does DQ have heart? :lol I kid.

Now gamers forgot about the soul of a video games...give me a break. Platform discussions have taken place since the dawn of video games. In fact, there is more soul in platform debates than there is in the games themselves.

Until the one console future occurs anyway.

rosjos44

Quixzlizx said:
Your response ignored everything that I said and was basically, "Well, it'll be a good game anyway." Sterling logic, there.

I see your point but it seems to me that you forgotton what a game really is. I try to stay away from the presentation, sound, graphics, debates because I played games on SNES that are better than most games today. I simply enjoy gaming, I enjoy games. If you think a game is going to be inferior because its on a less powerful console then I would say your are mistaken.

rosjos44

Kintaro said:
Does DQ have heart? :lol I kid.

Now gamers forgot about the soul of a video games...give me a break. Platform discussions have taken place since the dawn of video games. In fact, there is more soul in platform debates than there is in the games themselves.

Until the one console future occurs anyway.

hehe heart of the cards! O I I miss Yu gi oh lol

True what I am stating we should not go off by "Platform" it leads us down an evil road that no one should take. I am a more laid back type individual and I game because I enjoy games. I used to be all about which platform a game was on but then I realized I was not seeing the bigger picture on what gaming is all about.

Opiate

Quixzlizx said:
1. This statement assumes that gameplay is never affected by the amount of processing power available. This is obviously not the case.

It's been proven repeatedly, I believe, that this isn't the case. Technical power does not affect gameplay. I can't think of a single genre for which this is true.

2. Graphics, sound, and presentation are part of the experience of the game. Portability is merely a matter of convenience except in rare instances involving local multiplayer, although local multiplayer can usually be just as effective on a console.

What a nebulous and vague statement. Part of the "experience?" Why isn't walking around while playing part of the "experience?" This is meaningless. I do not agree. Graphics and sound are not part of the "experience" for me. Am I wrong? Do I not count somehow?

3. Portable games are limited in storage space unless they are download only, and this can affect what is included in the game

This problem is solved very simply: lower the technical requirements of the game. Make it text based, if necessary. It is always possible to include more if you simply lower the technical requirements.

Kintaro

rosjos44 said:
I see your point but it seems to me that you forgotton what a game really is. I try to stay away from the presentation, sound, graphics, debates because I played games on SNES that are better than most games today. I simply enjoy gaming, I enjoy games. If you think a game is going to be inferior because its on a less powerful console then I would say your are mistaken.

Really? On the SNES? The successor to the NES with advanced graphics and sound over the system before it? You saying those improvements didn't factor into your enjoyment of those games you believe are better than most games today?

RpgN

donny2112 said:
Wasn't there a report about Yakuza 3 just breaking even with its sales? Besides, the Yakuza HD games are a personal mission from the creator to justify HD development. Not exactly the same situation as you're putting forward here (i.e. SEGA trying to make VC a Sony-only franchise).

Oh, my point wasn't to try to put yakuza as a playstation franchise and say that VC is similar to it (even though looking at it, it is a playstation franchise wether it was sega/the creator's intention or not) or wether it's profitable. But that it managed to be a popular franchise and moved lots of units in the 500k range, behind a game like MGS4 on the ps3 charts. It got public awareness for being exclusive back with the ps2, and now with the ps3.

rosjos44

Kintaro said:
Really? On the SNES? The successor to the NES with advanced graphics and sound over the system before it? You saying those improvements didn't factor into your enjoyment of those games you believe are better than most games today?

If you want I can go back to tetris 0_0

But another way you should look at it is that inferior SNES console compared to the PS3, 360, and Wii why does it have some of the best JRPG's of all time but Ps3's, 360's , or Wii's do not hold a candle to them? You can switch it around all you want. However, there is a point were technical requirements become stale.

Top Bottom