• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Oct 20 (Bayonetta Review O_O)

Kaako said:
I loved the Bayonetta demo and I'm glad the Japanese press liked it so much. I'll most likely buy it day 1 unless the rest of the reviews say otherwise.

I'm hoping that the success is international

Arpharmd B said:
There is nothing "unstable" about the framerate on 360. It's 55-60 constantly with small dips to 45 hear and there. You don't even notice the drops when you're playing. The only reason I know it drops to 45 sometimes is because I watched a video on Eurogamer which shows it.

The PS3 version, however, peaks at 45.
None of this is true. You are not correctly remembering the Digital Foundry analysis. The 360 version dropped to 24fps at one point during the clocktower, and is never 60fps if there's more than one enemy on screen. The PS3 version runs at about 35fps most of the time, but in the Jeanne fight it averages about 50fps. It's true that the PS3 version runs much, much worse, but it's inaccurate to say the 360 version runs well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't/didn't realise that behind the totally bizarre presentation, there's a really, really great action game.

proof once again that bitches don't know shit 'bout Kamiya

Rez said:
I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't/didn't realise that behind the totally bizarre presentation, there's a really, really great action game.

Well obviously this game only appeals to 12 year old boys.

Tongue in cheek? What the fuck does that mean?

george_us said:
I believe a Sega rep. confirmed that the PS3 version was region locked.

IIRC there was a statement made about the 360 version of the game being region locked and it was mis-reported/mis-translated/assumed to be talking about both versions. No PS3 game in nearly 3 years has been region locked, even the likes of EA Sports stuff which, on 360, is always locked to specific regions. I know it's meant to be up to the developers/publishers so Sega could do it, but I think the likes of Playasia would have reported it by now.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
jabipun said:
504x_bayonetta_box_art.jpg

Everyone here is officially pussy whipped by Bayonetta.

I haven't played the demo yet but I'm sure the game is going to kick ass.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
IIRC there was a statement made about the 360 version of the game being region locked and it was mis-reported/mis-translated/assumed to be talking about both versions. No PS3 game in nearly 3 years has been region locked, even the likes of EA Sports stuff which, on 360, is always locked to specific regions. I know it's meant to be up to the developers/publishers so Sega could do it, but I think the likes of Playasia would have reported it by now.

to be fair SEGA didn't mention any platform: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175774

randomwab

Rez said:

This this this this this.

Seriously people, the dude is flawless. Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta. Flawless victory. You people should know better.

jabipun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Bayonetta hasn't really been on my radar, but it sure as hell is now.

There's a demo, eh? *wanders off to 360/PS3*

Edit: Japan only demo I assume? :(

Yeah. You can get it on PS3 PSN with not too much trouble on the JPN store, but the PS3 version of Bayonetta is a lot worse to the superior 360 version.

You'll still enjoy it on the PS3, but the 360 version beats the living shit out of it. Try to play it on the 360 if possible.

Sapiens

Sucks about the performance issues on both versions, but after playing the demo, those are only minor problems in the end.

Can't wait for the US release.

lupinko

intheinbetween said:
afaik Bayonetta is funded by SEGA to be a multiplatform game from the get go, so i don't think so.

If that was completely the case, then Platinum Games would have been forced to do a PS3 version, which obviously isn't the case.

You don't see tri-ace shifting Resonance of Fate PS3 development to one of Sega's AM teams now do you?

jabipun

Oldschool said:
So the score is already confirmed as 40/40?

Yeah. Seems like scans are floating around.

It's famitsu - sure, but I think most can say since it got 40/40 at least we know the game is at least good. :lol

KGKK

Banned
So I'm not really gonna read through the thread but does the review confirm the PS3 is up to par? I'm not buying otherwise, unacceptable.

Trojan X

Banned
intheinbetween said:
afaik Bayonetta is funded by SEGA to be a multiplatform game from the get go, so i don't think so.

The Xbox version of Bayonetta was created and shown to SEGA Japan. Sega Japan fell in love with the game and pushed Platinum to do an PS3 version but Platinum had no time due to scheduling, funding and project focus. Due to this, SEGA Japan decided to "PORT" the Xbox code to the PS3 to which I believe is a good decision in consideration of the circumstances.

Trojan X

Banned
KGKK said:
So I'm not really gonna read through the thread but does the review confirm the PS3 is up to par? I'm not buying otherwise, unacceptable.

No, it is not up to par, however, you won't notice unless you compare the Xbox and PS3 version side by side. If you would like more information on the specifics then please look for my older post which should be on page 7 or 8.

EXGN

lupinko said:
If that was completely the case, then Platinum Games would have been forced to do a PS3 version, which obviously isn't the case.

You don't see tri-ace shifting Resonance of Fate PS3 development to one of Sega's AM teams now do you?

Has this been confirmed? I was actually just wondering about this the other day.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Ugh. That 360 green bar has the remarkable ability to ruin any box art it's paired with.

:lol Wow at Bayonetta, awesome.

I've been on the fence about the game waiting for something to tip me over, the Giantbomb QL almost did but now it seems like the game will actually be awesome.

Razien

Banned
So... Absolutely NOTHING interesting aside review scores?

I'd appreciate a lot written reviews too, mainly for S&P2.

sounds unsuprisingly like nothing has changed with the ps3 version...as much as I enjoyed the demo, there is probably far too many games hitting next year to even consider this

onken said:
Holy shit at that Bayonetta score. Huge advertising campaign incoming on the Famitsu site then.

Yoshi256 said:
Famitsu is the most corrupted magazine in Japan, I wouldn't trust them.

Tiktaalik said:
So I guess the cheque cleared.

gaf always delivers :lol

manzo said:
Citizens of 2ch news are also laughing at the Bayonetta score. Especially that the PS3 version got the same perfect score.

Zefah said:
Two versions of the same game should not get the same score when one is obviously inferior. I downloaded the PS3 demo and the 360 demo and played the PS3 one first. It seriously felt like I doubled my framerate all the while making the graphics crisper and less "jaggy" when I booted up the 360 version after finishing the PS3 demo.

. . .I see no reason why both versions should receive the same score. It doesn't make sense.

RuGalz said:
They must have played the 360 version and just gave both the same score because "it's the same game" compared feature to feature.

Well, at least we have digital foundry et al. to give an accurate breakdown between versions. Hopefully they'll patch the PS3 version. Just curious tho, has there ever been a marked improvement between demo and release to back up the "wait until. . ." comments?

Razien said:
So... Absolutely NOTHING interesting aside review scores?

...and even the review scores (Bayonetta aside, possibly) are a bit flaky. We won't have any confirmed info until tomorrow by the looks of it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
CadetMahoney said:
Well, at least we have digital foundry et al. to give an accurate breakdown between versions. Hopefully they'll patch the PS3 version. Just curious tho, has there ever been a marked improvement between demo and release to back up the "wait until. . ." comments?
I can't think of any specific one right now, but I remember it happened with a few demos this generation.
Japanese developers though tend to work levels by levels, so usually the first levels they do (like the one in the demo) tend to be polished and ready for production very early during the development process. Remember the Lost Planet E3 surprise demo? The level itself was tweaked a bit in the final game released a long time later, but not that much.
Bayonetta seems to be a bit of a special case though, so there is hope for a better running PS3 version.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Cosmonaut X said:
...and even the review scores (Bayonetta aside, possibly) are a bit flaky. We won't have any confirmed info until tomorrow by the looks of it.

Well, that's good. It'd be nice to get actual confirmation of these scores and some nice title info.

Zeliard

Blimblim said:
I can't think of any specific one right now, but I remember it happened with a few demos this generation.
Japanese developers though tend to work levels by levels, so usually the first levels they do (like the one in the demo) tend to be polished and ready for production very early during the development process. Remember the Lost Planet E3 surprise demo? The level itself was tweaked a bit in the final game released a long time later, but not that much.
Bayonetta seems to be a bit of a special case though, so there is hope for a better running PS3 version.

Didn't the full version of Motorstorm 2 end up looking much better than the demo?

I think the PS3 version of Bayonetta should definitely be rated lower if the issues persist, but mainly for the framerate problems rather than the other visual issues. Framerate is the one thing that has a deep impact on the actual gameplay, and if it's not up to snuff, it needs to be noted in the reviews.

AFreak

Banned
CadetMahoney said:

RCF: Tools of Destruction.

TunaLover

tino said:
This just shows that Mikami was too conservative and low budget with that black and white game. You gotta go big or go home.

Considering that MadWorld wasn't a Mikami nor Kamiya game, I don't know what are you talking about

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TunaLover said:
Considering that MadWorld wasn't a Mikami nor Kamiya game, I don't know what are you talking about

I think it's called being stupid.

corpserot

I looooooooove Devil May Cry... but I don't think Bayonetta will be my cup of tea after playing the demo. The music makes me want to rip my ears off.

darkwings said:
haven't famitsu existed since 1991 or so? So it took them 7 years until they scored a game 40/40, wow.
While I would give 10/10 to a number of games, Ocarina is still the only there that deserves it IMO (maybe vagrant story, and I haven't played more than the demo of bayonetta obv). The famitsu review system is just bizarre, not to mention incredibly light weight in actual content.

Top Bottom