• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Apocrypha |OT| Saber, Rider and the Star Servants

I'm not trying to start up shit here. (Okay, I am, but not in a moderation sort of way!)

It just amuses me how things are. Don't you think about it sometimes? If there's a 3-5 month wait between the Japanese release of a game and the English release of the game, the majority of people are content waiting and supporting that if they prefer to play it in a language they best understand. There will be people who play the import, but the bulk of the discussion takes place after the proper English release.

With Netflix anime, it seems like any delay is the end of the world, and by the time it goes up on Netflix the core anime demographic doesn't give a rat's ass anymore. You either watch it day 1, with possibly questionable subtitles, or you don't care at all. Isn't that weird and kinda crappy of the fanbase? Shouldn't we consider that maybe it can be improved? I dunno!

Best comparison I can make is HBO and the popularity of Game of Thrones. For the longest time, HBO was content remaining a premium Cable Service that many could not afford. And then Game of Thrones blew up in popularity and the masses turned to pirating the show because the paywall was too steep to be able to view it. The ball was in HBO's court to try and find a olive branch to make their content more easily accessible if they wanted to curb the pirating.

I'm not going to pretend that there aren't people who will just pirate regardless, but it's still Netflix's responsibility to adapt to this. The fact that both Hulu and Amazon have done simulcasts have even shown it's not just a "Niche-Anime Streaming" thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why are there so many goddamn Saber clones?
Sabre is the pinnacle of weeb design, so they just spruce up Sabre and rerelease her as some new thing.

It's like Barbies.

Strimei

Because one of the two heads of Type-Moon has her as a waifu.

You can't deny Takeuchi his waifu!

And he'll turn other characters into Saberfaces too! Look at Arc in the Tsukihime remake!

At least they seem to have a sense of humor about it at this point though, what with Mysterious Heroine X

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why are people ashamed to like the fate series? It's amazing. Fate Stay/Night is underrated and Zero is awesome. Rejoice!! This will be great! I'm not sure I like this new studio animating it.. but still excited

Who is ashamed?

I've read the visual novels, translated LN's and most of the games,and seen all the animated adaptions so far. I don't really see any reason to be ashamed of what i enjoy.....outside of Fate Illya. Non defensible trash. Don't care how much of a weeb you are, just sullies everything else IMO

c7a42c6f3e720d40160c65233f30c27a1361452854_full.jpg

duckroll

Yeah I'm not saying that Netflix isn't doing themselves a disservice by not understanding what the audience wants with regards to anime distribution, I just think it's amusing that Netflix picking up more and more shows screws with that expectation. :)

Who is ashamed?

You should be. Worst girl avatar from worst series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

Inuhanyou

You should be. Worst girl avatar from worst series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

Triggered!!!11

But seriously though, people enjoy what they like, that's pretty much it...unless its weird blatant pedo fanservice stuff that only exists to cater to 'that' market.

To be entirely fair, the two Saberfaces in this show are kind of justified.

Jeanne looks like Arturia because it was a plot point in Fate/Zero that Giles mistook Artruia for her, so she has to somewhat resemble her.

And, well, are you really surprised that Mordred looks like King Arthur?

BaconHat

How important is to have seen Zero for this show?

I don't think it is required to understand everything. It would explain a fair bit of lore referenced, just like Fate Stay would, but i don't think it is required to understand the gist of it.

Granted, it will probably not be as newcomer friendly as Zero or Stay Night is.

duckroll

To be entirely fair, the two Saberfaces in this show are kind of justified.

Jeanne looks like Arturia because it was a plot point in Fate/Zero that Giles mistook Artruia for her, so she has to somewhat resemble her.

And, well, are you really surprised that Mordred looks like King Arthur?

Damn all that deep lore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aren't you waiting for Netflix duckroll? What if you spoil yourself here with all the impressions from JP watchers???

Inuhanyou

Not at all.

It's an alternate setting. It diverges from the "main timeline" during the 3rd HGW.

They throw out a lot of references that don't make things easy for newcomers, they throw you into the world with generally no set up, so just because its not connected to FSN doesn't mean its a good place to start

They start the series expecting you to know about the clock tower, the mages association, the church, the greater grail/lesser grail, and Fuyuki to boot. and on top of that adding in the extra spins on it like 14 participants

In terms of anime adaptions, i still feel like Zero or FSN 06 are the best places to start. Ufo UBW is too connected to Ufo's Zero as a sequel to start as well

It would be like reading Mahoyo without reading Tsukihime or playing Melty Blood

Why would I pirate this? I'd much rather wait six months when it's all done and released on US Netflix and then I can binge it all! Waiting for new episodes sucks.

Inuhanyou

Im still a tad bit salty that ufo is not doing this one but a-1 did the first ep nicely.

ufo have no real reason to, and they only have so much staff to work on projects after all. Sticking to main TM franchises seems like the best bet for them. FSN adaptions, Tsukihime and maybe Mahoyo down the line...perhaps expansions of series like DDD or Notes

Other can do things like extra and such

RangerBAD

They throw out a lot of references that don't make things easy for newcomers, they throw you into the world with generally no set up, so just because its not connected to FSN doesn't mean its a good place to start

They start the series expecting you to know about the clock tower, the mages association, the church, the greater grail/lesser grail, and Fuyuki to boot. and on top of that adding in the extra spins on it like 14 participants

In terms of anime adaptions, i still feel like Zero or FSN 06 are the best places to start. Ufo UBW is too connected to Ufo's Zero as a sequel to start as well

It would be like reading Mahoyo without reading Tsukihime or playing Melty Blood

I've seen the FSN anime, and UBW movie and that's it.

KHlover

Banned
Why would I pirate this? I'd much rather wait six months when it's all done and released on US Netflix and then I can binge it all! Waiting for new episodes sucks.
The trick to watching shows weekly is to watch so many series that you've got Mon-Fri covered :p

Not at all.

It's an alternate setting. It diverges from the "main timeline" during the 3rd HGW.

The fact that you are expected to know about the Holy Grail War, and specifically the Fuyuki ones, and the fact that the third one didn't occur which causes a lot of other things to not occur, more or less implies that there are things you should already know before you start into this one.

Yeah, this is certainly not a good starting point for Fate or even the Nasuverse in general. That being said, this first episode provides F/Z fanservice that wasn't in the LN for those who watched that series - hi, Waver!

I like the fight scenes so far, even if perhaps they're not quite as good as Ufotable's work. If nothing else, the studio understands how much power and speed Servants have, and they've done their best to try and convey it. And the way Mordred's helmet is basically something out of Iron Man is pretty rad, too.

Edit: Hah, the small human-sized golems look like battle droids from the Star Wars prequels.

Who is ashamed?

I've read the visual novels, translated LN's and most of the games,and seen all the animated adaptions so far. I don't really see any reason to be ashamed of what i enjoy.....outside of Fate Illya. Non defensible trash. Don't care how much of a weeb you are, just sullies everything else IMO
Triggered!!!11

But seriously though, people enjoy what they like, that's pretty much it...unless its weird blatant pedo fanservice stuff that only exists to cater to 'that' market.

While I won't defend Prisma Illya's "loli fanservice" (ugh), the rest of it is both genuinely engaging and at times genuinely funny, I personally read/watch it for that and ignore the more questionable material. 3rei in particular cuts down on the series' worst tendencies considerably (hell, there's way more "regular" fanservice now thanks to Angelia and Tanaka merely existing) and is considerably closer to mainline Fate in terms of tone and material. The latest manga fight scene is crazy awesome.

RangerBAD

The fact that you are expected to know about the Holy Grail War, and specifically the Fuyuki ones, and the fact that the third one didn't occur which causes a lot of other things to not occur, more or less implies that there are things you should already know before you start into this one.

Yeah, I was lost on a few things.

Inuhanyou

Died laughing irl.

I know we'll be dead by then, but its nice to think about.

While I won't defend Prisma Illya's "loli fanservice" (ugh), the rest of it is both genuinely engaging and at times genuinely funny, I personally read/watch it for that and ignore the more questionable material. 3rei in particular cuts down on the series' worst tendencies considerably (hell, there's way more "regular" fanservice now thanks to Angelia and Tanaka merely existing) and is considerably closer to mainline Fate in terms of tone and material. The latest manga fight scene is crazy awesome.

I get it, there are cool elements. But unfortunately, the manga goes in that direction and the anime continues it to a disgusting degree.

wamberz1

While it wasn't on ufotables animation level they certainly love their type of sound effects
Flat cameo was nice. strange fake adaptation when?
Asking the real questions

Anyways, I'm worried this is going to have the same problem I have with a lot of fate stuff recently, where it focuses way to much on the animu main characters I don't give a shit about instead of all the side teams who are way more interesting. Zero was the only one so far to kind of get the balance right and from what I've read of strange/fake it seems pretty good at that too. Kind of.

Like, for me lancer of black is the star of this show and he was barely in the pilot, and instead we got Jeanne and mc-who's-name-I-can't-remember showing up early for no reason.

Inuhanyou

Outside of Zero, no Fate anime adaption has focused on general teams, and even in the source materials, only games like Extra have bothered to make anything with that.

I don't know where that expectation comes from.

Inuhanyou

A shame you let that drive you away. It gets better.

[Spoilers, maybe? Don't enlarge if you care about that]

I've read most of drei. Doesn't take away from how stupid some of the earlier parts were for me, or how try hardy a lot of what drei is, despite having admittedly cool parts buried into that. You can tell when something is just being written off the cuff and when something is being written to try and force edge. And a bad parody of HF Shirou can't really fix it

3rei is trying to be all serious because they were planning on ending it after 2wei so there's not a lot left to do except go super-serious with it. Actually technically Hiroshi Hiroyama didn't even have any plans after the original Prisma Illya at all which was planned on being a oneshot.

He was so surprised by it's popularity that he went back to make 2wei, and then that was so popular that he decided to make 3rei. He's probably wondering what exactly he can do to end it conclusively now so he can stop doing this as I doubt he really wants to go to 4ier after being on this manga for over 10 years at this point.

For his part, Nasu has said jokingly that he considers Prisma Illya the "Illya route" that was so famously left out of the original F/SN VN.

Inuhanyou

3rei is trying to be all serious because they were planning on ending it after 2wei so there's not a lot left to do except go super-serious with it. Actually technically Hiroshi Hiroyama didn't even have any plans after the original Prisma Illya at all which was planned on being a oneshot.

He was so surprised by it's popularity that he went back to make 2wei, and then that was so popular that he decided to make 3rei. He's probably wondering what exactly he can do to end it conclusively now so he can stop doing this as I doubt he really wants to go to 4ier after being on this manga for over 10 years at this point.

For his part, Nasu has said jokingly that he considers Prisma Illya the "Illya route" that was so famously left out of the original F/SN VN.

Nasu would be that conciliatory to what is essentially officially stamped fan-fiction AU wouldn't he..i mean, how else would Assassin of Black have made it past him otherwise. Then again, he had the mind to give Sakaki Shounen a shot, so his instincts can't be all shot

But yeah, i don't think Fate Illya should continue on for another season, but because i said that it will continue

A.J.

Banned
Mordred armoring herself piece by piece while fighting was badass. Enhanced by the fact that her armor was already badass.

RangerBAD

So is Arthuria actually Arthur in this timeline?

Also, "Don't call me a woman... but buy me a tube top and hot pants, Master."

So is Arthuria actually Arthur in this timeline?

Still female. If you really want to know how Mordred came about even though Artoria is female:

She was conceived between Artoria and her sister, Morgan le Fay, through unorthodox circumstances. Artoria, normally female, was a pseudo-male at the time due to Merlin's magecraft, so Morgan enchanted her with a spell to extract sperm from her. Morgan developed it within her own ovary, and made the child into a homunculus clone of Artoria.

RangerBAD

Still female. If you really want to know how Mordred came about even though Artoria is female:

She was conceived between Artoria and her sister, Morgan le Fay, through unorthodox circumstances. Artoria, normally female, was a pseudo-male at the time due to Merlin's magecraft, so Morgan enchanted her with a spell to extract sperm from her. Morgan developed it within her own ovary, and made the child into a homunculus clone of Artoria.

That's some ass pull.

Top Bottom