• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Apocrypha |OT| Saber, Rider and the Star Servants

Qurupeke

Fate/Apocrypha 3
SM3cOK2.png
YQV31V2.png
- The plot progresses slowly but steadily. Though, it's kind of weird the Berserker situation is still the same as the last episode, even if it seems like it will be resolved on the next one this time. Can't wait for the cat girl to appear properly.
- Very cool fight, it gave a good taste of the servants' powerlevels. Action animation continues to be above average.
- Red Saber scenes continue to be the best.
- Astolfo

Why are the Red sabefaces the only interesting ones.

I hope loli Jack the Ripper doesn't get much screentime, it's been alright so far and I'd be a shame if I had to drop it.

It's like they can't show Red Saber without some kind of fan service shot lmao. I like her character. She's essentially a tomboy fun-having version of OG Saber. Don't know what her complex is about being called a woman though. Unless it has to do with becoming King.

Astolfo is the best. It's hilarious how bored as shit he is in the "dungeon" when he's with his Master.

They are really doing their best to tease Nyatalanta instead of just showing her for reasons I guess I can't really fathom. You either know who Nyatalanta is or you don't. If you do, this teasing is pointless. If you don't, you wouldn't understand the significance of her appearance anyways. She's already clearly seen in the OP so I don't get this.

You know, it's not that surprising that Mordred has a few screws loose and some anger issues.

Some spoilers may follow. If you are already familiar with the Arthurian Legend, the first paragraph is not a spoiler. The second is a spoiler unless you are familiar with F/SN.

Well I mean Mordred has a right to be angry, considering that her story and Arturia's does roughly follow the actual Arthurian Legend and it really does end the same way Mordred's story does in the Legend with Arthur slaying the Knight of Treason at the Battle of Camlann where he was also mortally wounded.

Of course where the Arthurian Legend ends is where Fate begins, with Arturia making the Contract with the World using her dying breath and becoming a Heroic Spirit so she can obtain the Holy Grail and reverse the mistakes which led to the fall of her kingdom and her death at Camlann. Mordred is inscribed onto the Throne of Heroes post-death and therefore is summoned as a Heroic Spirit with the same regrets and anger she died with: that she was never recognized as the rightful heir to Arturia's kingdom, that Arturia never acknowledged her as her 'son' (slightly different from the Arthurian Legend where Mordred was Arthur's nephew), and that she was killed by the King she so desperately admired and wished to emulate. There's a lot that Mordred has a right to be angry about, especially since the whole point of the Arthurian Legend is about the rise and fall of King Arthur and the failure of Arthur to be a good King of Anglo-Saxon Britain.

It's alright so far, but one thing I really noticed was that the sound design during the fight scene was fantastic. The deep bass sound effects really made the weapons and impacts feel heavy.

Most of the black servants are pretty likeable as well as a couple masters. Don't know much about red team yet but the two mains seem fine enough.

Needs more Jeanne.

The bass effects in this show are absolutely horrible, they seem to have mixed it for crummy TV speakers which have no bass extension whatsoever by bloating and clipping the shit out of what would be called mid-bass on a proper home theater mix. It's like watching a show through those car speakers with the dumb bloaty distorted bass that you hear coming from a mile away. It sounds like total shit on my home theater which has an actual subwoofer which can extend to 20 hz and can actually shake my house with actual bass when I watch a properly mixed Hollywood film. FFS A-1 learn how to mix audio. ufotable never had this issue.

seems like the show isn't going to make an obvious 'good vs evil' side as I originally thought. Like each side has their despicable figures, and their likable ones.

patapuf

The bass effects in this show are absolutely horrible, they seem to have mixed it for crummy TV speakers which have no bass extension whatsoever by bloating and clipping the shit out of what would be called mid-bass on a proper home theater mix. It's like watching a show through those car speakers with the dumb bloaty distorted bass that you hear coming from a mile away. It sounds like total shit on my home theater which has an actual subwoofer which can extend to 20 hz and can actually shake my house with actual bass when I watch a properly mixed Hollywood film. FFS A-1 learn how to mix audio. ufotable never had this issue.

There's quite the gulf in production values in general. Apocrypha doesn't look bad but the difference is pretty apparaent.

on EP 03: still building up the cast and setting up conflicts. Most servants and masters on the black side seem interesting. Waifu frankenstein is the only one i don't like. Both Berserkers seem pretty lame compared to the previous ones.

Considering they've spent significantly more time building up the black side, i exept everyone but Kotomine and Kairi to die a slow, agonising death.

KHlover

Banned
I had initially put this below Fate/Zero in terms of visuals, but after rewatching Fate/Zero this week (bought F/Z and UBW on Blu-Ray) I'd put it roughly on par (with the exception of scenes like Saber's use of Excalibur against Caster etc). Unlimited Blade Works is still on an entirely different level though, must be straight up the best-looking anime I've ever watched.

I like Berserker of Black being generally calm which shows not all Berserkers act like rabid dogs being barely contained on their leashes.

Least until fighting starts...

patapuf

My impressions could change of course, but so far she doesn't seem.. Berzerkerisch.

It may be an unfair comparison but Heracles managed to come across compasionate and restrained and still look like you didn't want to be around for longer than necessary.

Granted, the masters are probably a bigger difference there than the servants.

Laiza

I know what to expect from A1 at this point, but it still irks me how much fanservice they feel they need to inject into it. As usual, it feels skeevy and, unsurprisingly, quite sexist, but I've got no choice but to suck it up if I want my dose of animated Fate. (Sigh.)

Ruler in particular has that annoying "clothes outlining the boobs" issue that draws way too much attention to how overly large she is up there, and I noticed that immediately at the start of the second episode. Hell, it's even present in the opening (seriously guys, clothes don't work that way)! At least I can't see it when she has the jacket on. Also not looking forward to Jack the Ripper soaking up screen time looking like... that. Granted, a lot of that is the original character designers' fault, but that doesn't mean they had to go with those designs 1:1.

But I'm not here just to complain about the fanservice.

So far I'm quite intrigued by the premise and enjoying what little action has been on display so far. Those Fate sound effects are always lovely to listen to (though I'm listening on my headphones, and I haven't noticed any of the things Unknown Soldier complained about above) and really elevate the over-the-top action set pieces. The necromancer and Mordred make a fine duo, though Mordred dressing so skimpy is really weird when she's triggered so heavily by being referred to as a "woman" (seriously, what?).

Not sure how to feel about Astolfo. Being voiced by a woman on top of that visual design... he's so much of an archetypal "trap" (gawd, I hate that word) that it starts to take me out of it. Also not a huge fan of She-Frankenstein, mostly because she deviates too damn much from the original (at least let her keep the muscular build and green skin!). The others, Jack the Ripper aside, are alright so far. It's more important to me at this point that they create flashy battles anyway, because that's all I'm really here for.

As others have already mentioned, on a sheer technical level it's not UBW-tier, but then, it doesn't need to be - it still does a very good job of selling the insane power of the servants, and that's really all I can ask for. Better than having to wait several years for production to finish, anyway. I'm not the type to rewatch stuff, so 'good enough' is better for me.

Anyway, excuse me while I go back to catching up on episode 3.

Edit: Okay, episode 3 is full of audio issues that I didn't notice in the previous two episodes. Not sure what happened there. I can definitely hear the clipping. I hope it's an anomaly and not a sign of how things will be in the future.

My impressions could change of course, but so far she doesn't seem.. Berzerkerisch.

It may be an unfair comparison but Heracles managed to come across compasionate and restrained and still look like you didn't want to be around for longer than necessary.

Granted, the masters are probably a bigger difference there than the servants.

To be fair, Frankenstein's monster in the novel wasn't an idiot screaming "FIRE FIREEEEEEEEEE" and destroying everything in his path like Godzilla. This version is clearly not meant to be closer to the novels, but at least they seem to have struck a balance where she is calm until pissed off at which point she will go berserk.

I expect with how edgy this fucking property is, that she will go berserk and kill her master by mistake. And as he dies in her arms he will tell her

"Don't worry Frankenstein. This was my Fate... Apocrypha'

A.J.

Banned
To be fair, Frankenstein's monster in the novel wasn't an idiot screaming "FIRE FIREEEEEEEEEE" and destroying everything in his path like Godzilla. This version is clearly not meant to be closer to the novels, but at least they seem to have struck a balance where she is calm until pissed off at which point she will go berserk.

I expect with how edgy this fucking property is, that she will go berserk and kill her master by mistake. And as he dies in her arms he will tell her

"....A property of Type-Moon."

patapuf

There's elements of the Frankenstein Novel in the backstory, wanting a companion, turning on the Master, the self hatred that leads to suicide. It's not like they can't make that tragic. The Master even has the personality for the misguided but well intentioned inventor.

I'm aware we are only 3 episodes in, and i don't mind them changing the legends to suit their purpose.. but so far none of the backstory aside from the desire for a companion comes across in Bezerker. Frankenstein is usually a character that hates humanity and hates itself and it's own existence.

I'm used to them nailing nuances of the servants origin (and they still may with frankenstein), and they do for the most part in apocrypha too. Pious jeanne, Mordred with her "daddy" issues, Vlad (big points for not just going for Dracula), Chiron even Astolfo kind of fits. Frankenstien just sticks out to me :p.

KHlover

Banned
There's elements of the Frankenstein Novel in the backstory, wanting a companion, turning on the Master, the self hatred that leads to suicide. It's not like they can't make that tragic. The Master even has the personality for the misguided but well intentioned inventor.

I'm aware we are only 3 episodes in, and i don't mind them changing the legends to suit their purpose.. but so far none of the backstory aside from the desire for a companion comes across in Bezerker. Frankenstein is usually a character that hates humanity and hates itself and it's own existence.

I'm used to them nailing nuances of the servants origin (and they still may with frankenstein), and they do for the most part in apocrypha too. Pious jeanne, Mordred with her "daddy" issues, Vlad (big points for not just going for Dracula), Chiron even Astolfo kind of fits. Frankenstien just sticks out to me :p.

Maybe a reread of the original is necessary, but from what I remember it isn't humanity that the Monster hates, it's pretty strictly its creator. It kills the people close to Frankenstein to make him suffer, but that's about it, isn't it?

patapuf

Maybe a reread of the original is necessary, but from what I remember it isn't humanity that the Monster hates, it's pretty strictly its creator. It kills the people close to Frankenstein to make him suffer, but that's about it, isn't it?

It's indeed been a while and you may be right. Though there wasn't high regard for human life from the Monster either way.

Fate/Apocrypha 4

You gotta make the red team a bit more likable than this people. Saber is carrying everybody in that fucking team, the black team ftw. Though now I'm confused as to what the fuck happens considering the
flash forward and the fact Siegfred just sacrificed himself

my assumption is that someone is going to go full Kaiba and say screw the rules because no other reason makes sense.

patapuf

Fate/Apocrypha 4

You gotta make the red team a bit more likable than this people. Saber is carrying everybody in that fucking team, the black team ftw. Though now I'm confused as to what the fuck happens considering the
flash forward and the fact Siegfred just sacrificed himself

my assumption is that someone is going to go full Kaiba and say screw the rules because no other reason makes sense.

Dont' forget what Mordred calls him in the beginning.
she keeps referring to him as "fake", so i imagine it'll some nonsense involving homunculi or a resummon or something like that.

Laiza

I really enjoy how much autonomy the servants have in this series. Of course, we've seen plenty of that before, but a heroic servant straight-up rebelling and sacrificing himself against the master's wishes is pretty novel to me.

Also, gotta say, I actually really enjoyed the Red Rider's show of bravado, and his performance against Siegfried and Frankenstein showed it wasn't empty boasting. For whatever reason I just really like it when there are fighters that can talk themselves up and actually back up their words.

I'm also quite interested to see how this whole thing evolves moving forward. I genuinely have no idea how things will end at this point, and that's quite a nice place to be.

Baalzebup

Shiro is kind of out Kotomine-ing the original Kotomine. Well done. I though something was up what with all the red servants showing up without their masters, especially after Jeannes observation on the subject in the 4th ep and the previous scene with the red masters' gathering.

Red team needs more screentime. Even though it's only Shirou and Kairi, both are just way more interesting to watch than the Black team at the moment.

chrono01

The fact that Mordred didn't get a single line of dialogue in the last two episodes is a crime. We didn't see her at all in Episode 4, and in Episode 5 we caught a small glimpse of her asleep in the background. Sad times. :(

At least it looks like the storyline with Jack is starting, so that should be interesting.

The focus on the Black Faction is somewhat regrettable, even if we still get Astolfo's antics.

Also, I'm surprised that they completely skipped over Jack's summoning, even if her intended master got a cameo. And Jack and Reika have a surprisingly adorable relationship... Even if both of them are both incredibly messed up individuals.

Also, gotta say, I actually really enjoyed the Red Rider's show of bravado, and his performance against Siegfried and Frankenstein showed it wasn't empty boasting. For whatever reason I just really like it when there are fighters that can talk themselves up and actually back up their words.

Well, that's Achilles for you, really. Dude was so OP in the Trojan War that he needed that weakness to even be beatable.

He was also a gigantic flaming asshole in the original myth, mind you, but almost everyone in Greek myth is/was an asshole at some point or another.

Qurupeke

Fate/Apocrypha 6
VmbSGQH.jpg

Fake Saber gets wrecked.
Artoria Altria appears as a guest character and even the enemies can't stop saying how perfect she is. Yep, this is Fate.

The fights that followed were really ridiculous. Loli assassin and female Dock Ock. What the hell. And Astolfo's master continues not to make any sense.

Man this is definitely nowhere near as good as Zero or even FSN or UBW.

Did they deviate greatly from the novels or were the novels just bad?

Qurupeke

Was coming in to ask if this was any good and worth watching but it looks like I found my answer, lol.

I don't think it's terrible, but it's a bit of a mess. It has some interesting stuff and the prospect of a war between servants is interesting, but it's currently bland. The action is alright, but not on ufotable's level.

Fate Apocrypha 6

Man, you don't realize just HOW ridiculous it is that Arthur is a woman and so is Mordred until you
see them in multiple scenes together
lmaaaaaaaaao. Fucking waifus. I love how Shinpachi in this setting of wizards of knights and royalty has to be an otaku anime fan.

Oh and by the by, if it wasn't bad enough that Jack the Ripper is a yandere loli, she also wears a battle thong as her armor. It's sad the show needs to have THIS level of trash since if it wasn't for that and the fan service shots it'd be more easy to recommend as a trashy action anime.

Necromancer has the best fucking tools and weapons. His fight against Dexter in his robot mech suit was short but enjoyable.

Top Bottom