• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 8th

Bgamer90

Banned
Quantum Break has... okay preorders. I've said this before, but I feel like too many people have no idea what it is, or that it's even coming. There's no marketing push yet. No big splash, as far as I'm aware. Have they started running commercials, because I haven't heard any mention of it.

No, no commercials yet. I would assume that they are coming any day now since we are getting into March.

RexNovis

Banned
Man SalesGAF is sooooo dead these days. Let it be known I tried....

AchpOh4.gif

RexNovis

Banned
Digimon will sell more then SFV. Bookmark this post and reset my fight money if wrong.

As a fan of both I am severely conflicted by this statement. I want both to succeed. Therefore, I choose to celebrate the success of whichever comes out on top. That way I cant lose! Man why didnt I think of this sooner?

Remind me to stay the hell away from Vegas. My mind works in mysterious ways

Vena

Hmm, I'm thinking 160k minimum.

I don't know if even I believe what I say anymore. When was the last time I won a bet?

:(

I have this feeling that digimon would need to be lucky to even sell half of that amount in just the NPD considering expectations for the entirety of the west are under that number. We'd have likely heard Bamco shouting from the roof tops if Digimon got that number in February.

Unless SFV actually died as a franchise it won't be anywhere near Digimon.

RexNovis

Banned
We'd have likely heard Bamco shouting from the roof tops if Digimon got that number in February.

We kinda did.

Pretty much all we know at this point is that it sold WAY over what was expected. Personally, I'm hoping for somewhere around 120k but we shall see. The real question is how much of this was retail. It could very well be that they only shipped limited quantities at retail and as a result it went on to sell well digitally.

For what its worth the game managed to sell around 76k opening week when it launched in Japan as a Vita only title. I'd like to think launching in the US as a PS4 game on a platform that is relatively starved for JRPGs would have helped it a lot.

I wish our retail insiders would chime in with some insight on what sort of stock levels they were provided with and whether that sold through.

zeromcd73

I believe we got PS1 jrpg numbers in a previous NPD thread and Digimon World 1 did like 500k in the US.

Cyber Sleuth got this! It's always possible with the power of belief!

Vena

We kinda did.

Pretty much all we know at this point is that it sold WAY over what was expected. Personally, I'm hoping for somewhere around 120k but we shall see. The real question is how much of this was retail. It could very well be that they only shipped limited quantities at retail and as a result it went on to sell well digitally.

I wish our retail insiders would chime in with some insight on what sort of stock levels they were provided with and whether that sold through.

There's no sense of scale to this for the discussion at hand, unfortunately. What I meant was akin to the numerically relative PR for Fire Emblem where, when they say they did well, they reference a number/timeframe and say "we beat that number". That's strong PR for a strong result. "way over" is empty PR that is positive but befuddling, 50% more is "way over" but 50% of 2 is 1, and the total is 3.

We could ballpark, based on their ~100k (or there abouts, memory fails me at the moment) western performance expectations, that "way over" is anywhere from 50-100%. 150-200k in the west. Still nowhere near where SFV, even in the lowest of expectations, should be in the NPD (on the upper end of that figure). I'd find it surprising if it did 120k in just the US.

Digimon is a good game and its good to hear it doing better than anticipated but its likely still not very close to the numbers of SFV unless SFV *really* tanked at retail.

Vena

Digimon was hella front loaded from what I've heard. Thats kinda all I'll say

Kind of the same picture that amazon (for what its worth) painted. Digimon fell into the bottom of the top 100 for February after the initial high launch position.

Sterok

[3DS] 110K
[PS4] 330K
[WIU] 45K
[XB1] 230K

Rooting for Fire Emblem, but that seems unnecessary. Last hope Street Fighter V, and I'm very curious as to how the Far Cry Primal experiment will be received. Could lead to some changes in Ubisoft if it's successful.

Prediction: Fire Emblem SKU's will be combined and land in the top 3.

Man SalesGAF is sooooo dead these days.

The market's boring. And you guys don't like talking about VR, which is the only interesting, non-predictable thing happening right now.

Speaking of... wonder how NPD will report VR hardware since so much is being driven through mfg sites.

Mory Dunz

Not sure where to put this, (definitely not thread worthy or anything),

but is Paper Jam getting a second marketing push?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLjlXNkA7s

apparently nintendo is one of the kids choice award's sponsers I'm guessing.
This commercial seems higher budget than the one on original release. Will it be shown only on Nickelodeon? Wonder how much run time it'll get considering it's a new ad and not a reshowing of the other one.

May provide for interesting legs in march seeing how extremely poor it opened.

(Googled: original game came out Jan 22. Kid's Choice Awards is March 12.)

We kinda did.

For what its worth the game managed to sell around 76k opening week when it launched in Japan as a Vita only title. I'd like to think launching in the US as a PS4 game on a platform that is relatively starved for JRPGs would have helped it a lot.

Hopefully, creamsugar will give us the numbers. I think Digimon did pretty well considering the circumstances: niche JRPG, no marketing push from what I've heard of, and nearly no reviews until a week after release.

Vena

May provide for interesting legs in march seeing how extremely poor it opened.

Game is a low budget project to begin with so its a bit weird for them to be further pushing it unless it did better than they had anticipated, not worse. Budget titles like that don't tend to get pushed harder if they under-perform (as that balloons their budgets), they just get left to slide away.

Blanquito

The market's boring. And you guys don't like talking about VR, which is the only interesting, non-predictable thing happening right now.

Speaking of... wonder how NPD will report VR hardware since so much is being driven through mfg sites.
Huh, for some reason it never registered in my mind that we would get VR sales numbers. Well, we could anyway. Do you see NPD being able to work a deal out with oculus and HTC so they can have access to hardware sales?

Huh, for some reason it never registered in my mind that we would get VR sales numbers. Well, we could anyway. Do you see NPD being able to work a deal out with oculus and HTC so they can have access to hardware sales?

No idea. But there sure will be a ton of interest in those figures. Either NPD tries to do something real or we'll have to rely on those companies that make things up and still get coverage when they release the make believe data.

But yeah, it should be a real mess, because these companies that aren't relying on retail to sell VR kits early aren't going to be super excited to share early sales numbers.

RexNovis

Banned
We could potentially see another April win for Xbox now.

I would go so far as to say it might even be likely thanks to delayed sales of the Uncharted bundle and the added incentive of anew white XB1 SKU.

Whatever the difference will be in sales it will likely be dwarfed by the sure to be massive difference we will see in May though.

Based on ND's reason for the delay, UC4 better have record setting opening numbers and fantastic legs. Anything less and I am calling'em out!

I've now completely bought into the church of MAU and I'm watching a puppet play Diablo on Twitch.

What am I doing with my life.

Top Bottom