• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 8th

RexNovis

Banned
No idea. But there sure will be a ton of interest in those figures. Either NPD tries to do something real or we'll have to rely on those companies that make things up and still get coverage when they release the make believe data.

But yeah, it should be a real mess, because these companies that aren't relying on retail to sell VR kits early aren't going to be super excited to share early sales numbers.

Part of the reason people dont seem eager to talk about VR figures is because nobody is actually sure if we will be getting any concrete info in the forseeable future. It'll be interesting to see what NPD does in regards to PSVR though. At thevery least youd figure that would fall under their tracking methodology.

I've now completely bought into the church of MAU and I'm watching a puppet play Diablo on Twitch.

What am I doing with my life.

DVmvgtB.gif

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Unless there are massive deals Like last year, PS4 Will still win April by a good margin.

Also, i predict now ~900,000 For Uncharted in May NPD.

I predicted ~600,000 in April, but it was only one week, now is 3 weeks. Should also boost PS4 by a good margin.

mo60

Unless there are massive deals Like last year, PS4 Will still win April by a good margin.

I predicted ~600,000 in April, but it was only one week, now is 3 weeks. Should also boost PS4 by a good margin.

Doesn't uncharted 4 have like no competition in May besides Doom 4 if I recall. I think it could easily sell a million in May since it has a few more weeks to sell and nothing bigger than it can hurt it in May.

Chobel

Unless XBO gets a price cut in April, PS4 will win easy. March in the other hand will be interesting (The Division bundle + 1st week sales of new QB bundle)

Yeah, I would say it's possible now. Benefits of a white SKU is that some will get it for the free game, others the color, and others both.

QB bundle will be released in March.

Unless XBO gets a price cut in April, PS4 will win easy. March in the other hand will be interesting (The Division bundle + 1st week sales of new QB bundle)

Abdiel said that bundle isn't selling anything($399) and the PS4 version is selling more.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Doesn't uncharted 4 have like no competition in May besides Doom 4 if I recall. I think it could easily sell a million in May since it has a few more weeks to sell and nothing bigger than it can hurt it in May.

I think it Will sell well over 1 million including digital sales.

But i don't see this happen At Retail.

Javin98

Banned
So, Rex, you wanted a bold prediction? I predict that Uncharted 4 will open at least 100K bigger than Halo 5 did in their respective debut months. Actually, considering how Halo 5 sold, it's not really a bold prediction. :p

Ryng_tolu

Banned
So, Rex, you wanted a bold prediction? I predict that Uncharted 4 will open at least 100K bigger than Halo 5 did in their respective debut months. Actually, considering how Halo 5 sold, it's not really a bold prediction. :p

Do you expect 1.4 million For Uncharted 4?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wait, what? Didn't Halo 5 sell ~880K in its debut month? I was referring to retail only BTW. Digital sales can vary greatly based on estimations.

It sold 1.3 million including Digital first week.

935,000 with bundle, and 842,000 Retail alone.

Do you mean 100k more including or withouth bundle?

ethomaz

Banned
We could potentially see another April win for Xbox now.
Looking at the same situation when Xbone get some stream last year... yes I believe Xbone could potentially see another win.

But this year started the opposite of last year with MS bundles more expensive instead cheaper with a big drop yoy while Sony saw a big increase yoy.

MS needs do more than they did last year to win another April and right now they are doing less... way less.

Unless things changes in Feb or Mar... I can't see another win... the situation changed.

That is less than U3, no?

Edit - U3 did 700k without bundles.

Where you get 1.3m with digital? I don't Zhuge had data for digital... just playing safe with %.

Javin98

Banned

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I did recall Halo 5's retail numbers in its debut month being above 800K but lower than 900K. In any case, I was referring to the 842K figure. I think Uncharted 4 will easily be over 950K. Also, the Uncharted 4 bundle offers better value proposition than the Halo 5 bundle, so the gap might be more than that including bundles.

mejin

[PS4] 380K
[XB1] 240K
[3DS] 90K
[WIU] 55k

I think just an agressive price cut or promotion can give XBO a chance.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
That is less than U3 no?

Nope. Uncharted 4 sold >800K in november 2011.
I predict 900,000 for Uncharted 4 in 3 weeks of May, the worst month ever, which is more than Uncharted 3 in 4 weeks of the second best month of the year. And i expect bigger digital sales than Uncharted 3.

In others worlds, i expect Uncharted 4 to sell way more than Uncharted 3.

Where you get 1.3m with digital?

Zhuge.

I don't Zhuge had data for digital... just playing safe with %.

Zhuge has no data for NPD or digital sales, but he has an insidiers ( or more, i dunno) which know those numbers. He is legit.

ethomaz

Banned
To MS win a NPD they need to set the normal bundle at $300 and the special at $350.

Sorry but $350/$400 won't work for them.

Loris146

The Division bundle is 399$. Do you think will move some HW?

ethomaz

Banned
Isn't the white Quantum Break bundle 350? I think it should do pretty well for itself if so.
QB bundle.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/consoles/special-edition-quantum-break-bundle

Nothing special... 500GB... normal white bundle... needs to be $299.

Division bundle.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/consoles/1TB-the-division-bundle

Nothing special... 1TB... normal black bundle... needs to be $350.

The MS bundles are priced $50 more than last year... that ridiculous.

Want to have great sales? Put a 500GB Division bundle @$299.

RexNovis

Banned

kPjjIsL.jpg

Not sure that's gonna happen mate. It's definitely bold though I'll give you that. I've no doubt it will absolutely curb stomp Halos first month sales WW but doing that in Murrica aka shooter land would be a different story altogether.

That Xbox thread is hurting my brain.

This is the new normal. Oh well, people will accept it or leave gaming. They'll probably accept it.

Too early to call the whole UC4 vs H5 thing for me. Need to see more but its possible UC4 opens bigger

It very possible TLOU sold 985,000 in the first month .
So if UC4 gets that it would beat H5 at retail without bundles .
Plus every UC game ( or ND game ) has sold more than the last one in the first month since UC1.
I betting that UC4 will sell over a million at retail come may .

ethomaz

Banned
Uncharted 4 will not open better than Halo 5. That I can safely predict.
Safe hummmm... I believe it will.

User base matter a lot and Halo 5 opened pretty bad on NPD.

I believe U4 will open bigger than TLOU... we are talking here > 1m without bundles.

The unifying one. That thing has just gone over the edge of madness. Wouldn't be surprised if Colonel Kurtz doesn't post at the end of that thread.
I got out after page 2 :p

RexNovis

Banned
The unifying one. That thing has just gone over the edge of madness. Wouldn't be surprised if Colonel Kurtz doesn't post at the end of that thread.

Ah yes I figured that one would be nuts. Honestly seems like people are giving way too much credence to what seemed like an incredibly non committal statement but what else is new.

NPD, 935k.

That's with bundles Wellfare. He specifically stipulated retail sales. Stop trying to change the rules :p

In all honesty I doubt it will happen in US either.

Ah yes I figured that one would be nuts. Honestly seems like people are giving way too much credence to what seemed like an incredibly non committal statement but what else is new.

The funny part is the statement, which was basically the commitment to forward compatibility, would normally be assumed to be a very good thing.

I can't understand the mentality that people want locked platforms that don't evolve for 7 years in a technologically driven industry. And this is the only industry holding on to a model where tech from 2013 is considered great for 2016.

And it's not like people would be locked out from playing games that came out in the future. They just might not be able to play them at the same specs as someone else.

Maybe there's some appeal in knowing that even though people can't afford or don't want to buy a new box that those people that do aren't getting a better experience. Hurts my brain though.

It very possible TLOU sold 985,000 in the first month .
So if UC4 gets that it would beat H5 at retail without bundles .
Plus every UC game ( or ND game ) has sold more than the last one in the first month since UC1.
I betting that UC4 will sell over a million at retail come may .

Oh yeah its certainly possible. I just usually dont make software predictions until closer to or right after launch.

Could go either way as of now imo

Cornbread78

NPD, 935k.

Thank you.

That's with bundles Wellfare. He specifically stipulated retail sales. Stop trying to change the rules :p

In all honesty I doubt it will happen in US either.

WHA

All he asked was the total!

Yes, Yes, feel the darkside flowing through you!

RexNovis

Banned
WHA

All he asked was the total!

Thank you.

Yes, Yes, feel the darkside flowing through you!

Ah no you're right for some reason I thought you were responding to Javin. Mea culpa.

Halo 5 842k retail only?

U4 can top that in my opinion. U3 did 700k in November 2011.

November is much bigger sales month than May. We shall see but I think it's pretty doubtful.

The funny part is the statement, which was basically the commitment to forward compatibility, would normally be assumed to be a very good thing.

I can't understand the mentality that people want locked platforms that don't evolve for 7 years in a technologically driven industry. And this is the only industry holding on to a model where tech from 2013 is considered great for 2016.

And it's not like people would be locked out from playing games that came out in the future. They just might not be able to play them at the same specs as someone else.

Maybe there's some appeal in knowing that even though people can't afford or don't want to buy a new box that those people that do aren't getting a better experience. Hurts my brain though.

People hate change. This is a simple fact of life. Give most people a choice between a known and unknown and they will choose the known.

Besides with as little as we actually know about their plans it seems ridiculous to me to speculate anyway. It could be anything from offering Xbox branded external hard drives and other peripherals to straight up annual hardware revisions we simply have no clue right now. So the wise course of action would be to wait for a bit more information before racing to judgment IMHO.

Top Bottom