• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Type-0 HD, Uncharted 4, + more leaked on Sony TGS site

It's happening

36f933ef2a.png

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/FF13_Portal/

Steam logo on Portal site.

duckroll

oh I see...that's really non-consequential lol.

Btw I read your (old)opinion on FFXIII back then.So has it changed or do you still hold the balanced and fairly non-negative view of the first game ?

I haven't played the game again since, so I still feel the same way. I played through FFXIII-2 too and enjoyed it well enough. I just thing that a lot of negative factors work against the series and S-E in general. There's an increasing lack of polish in each subsequent XIII game, the team doesn't seem to know how to present a compelling product to the audience, and there's nothing else S-E Japan has been releasing of note on consoles other than XIV, which is a MMO. So perception is at an all time low, and I don't think that's surprising.

HeelPower

I haven't played the game again since, so I still feel the same way. I played through FFXIII-2 too and enjoyed it well enough. I just thing that a lot of negative factors work against the series and S-E in general. There's an increasing lack of polish in each subsequent XIII game, the team doesn't seem to know how to present a compelling product to the audience, and there's nothing else S-E Japan has been releasing of note on consoles other than XIV, which is a MMO. So perception is at an all time low, and I don't think that's surprising.

I see.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

wmlk

I liked FFXIII more than FFX (not finished; 40 hours through). I just feel like FFX is a bigger offender in almost all of the things that FFXIII does wrong.

I just refuse to give the sequels a shot, though. Retcons everywhere.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I liked FFXIII more than FFX (not finished; 40 hours through). I just feel like FFX is a bigger offender in almost all of the things that FFXIII does wrong.

oh man.

ramuh

FFXIII seems to me to be a lot like FFX in feeling. It's why I felt XII was so much better than XIII. I miss that Vagrant Story/Tactics feel to the main series.

JoJoSono

Banned

I don't really see how you could say that. FFX does everything FFXIII does, but better.

The story is presented better. Maybe having Tidus as a fish out of water is cliche, but it sure sets up actually explaining things better then "here's a datalog".

The linearity is given a reason for it and the world feels like a world instead of levels stitched together.

The level progression at least feels like it's not artificially holding you back. It is with the sphere locks, but XIII's grids are so obvious about it that it feels tedious.

X hides all the flaws it shares with XIII much better. XIII is still good though.

wmlk

I feel like FFX came at the right place, and right time in terms of something in the early 2000. The game is cringe-central now. This comes from an unbiased opinion where I only started playing FFX in the remaster for the first time this year.

Compare it to games like FFIX, FFVII, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, etc., and these are games that actually hold up well with the passage of time.

EDIT: Same duckroll, the switching of party members to Level up was bothersome. The Sphere Grid isn't something to praise either. Crystarium is a much worse version of it, though.

How so?

XIII is more linear than X, for example.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So my major question related to steam logo. Is FXIII and children quite clearly appear to have damaged the brand. So what braindead moron keeps deciding to push it more and more?

I don't know... I'm really confused...

wmlk

How so?

XIII is more linear than X, for example.

FFX is less linear and I do agree about that, I loved early sections in Besaid.

Still, both games are so linear that there's not much to write home about. I don't dislike linearity, anyway. FFX could have been less linear and been a better game though since it has a really well crafted world. But alas, it isn't.

duckroll

Compare it to games like FFIX, FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, etc., and these are games that actually hold up well.

Opinions, etc, but FFIX doesn't hold up at all for me. In fact, for the last half-decade or so I've probably been on a sort of hate streak on the game every time it's brought up as some classic. The battles are really drawn out, there's a ton of loading, it's just slow and boring, and everything that's good about the game is just pandering to nostalgia of older and better FF games.

So my major question related to steam logo. Is FXIII and children quite clearly appear to have damaged the brand. So what braindead moron keeps deciding to push it more and more?

Square has to make that money and if you've been paying attention to GAF threads

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882323&highlight=final+fantasy+xiii+pc
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876533&highlight=final+fantasy+xiii+pc

Some won't mind double dipping or even purchasing

Falk

that puzzling face
Your complaints about FFIX seem to be about technical details rather than game design or aesthetics. Totally agree that it was just too slow-paced to replay.

FF8 Steam had 5x speed added in. Do it Squeenix

wmlk

Opinions, etc, but FFIX doesn't hold up at all for me. In fact, for the last half-decade or so I've probably been on a sort of hate streak on the game every time it's brought up as some classic. The battles are really drawn out, there's a ton of loading, it's just slow and boring, and everything that's good about the game is just pandering to nostalgia of older and better FF games.

I haven't played the 'older and better' FF games before FFVI. FFIX was a breath of fresh air that anybody could play and smile about. Reminded me of Nintendo games and Chrono Trigger in that sense.

I feel like the battle system didn't stand the test of time as well, but to me everything else is so great that those things pop out to me more. I don't remember the load times in a game, ever. They just have to be good enough for me to get through the game.

Most of the work was (probably) already done for the divein service, and they probably want to test the waters for a possible XV release. They could have chosen a much better game to do so? Obviously, but in terms of cost and time, was probably the best choice.

That is if the steam version do really exists.

duckroll

Your complaints about FFIX seem to be about technical details rather than game design or aesthetics. Totally agree that it was just too slow-paced to replay.

FF8 Steam had 5x speed added in. Do it Squeenix

I don't like the battle system much either. It was less refined compared to FFVII and FFX in terms of encounter design and balance, and it was less unique/interesting compared to FFVIII. It just felt like something trying to feel like a "traditional" FF game without really having anything special or great on it's own. I think out of all the FF games Ito worked on, FFIX is his weakest.

HeelPower

I agree.

I do admit the game has really sweet characters and amazing music but its not close to being one of my favorites for other reasons.

I too consider IX the weakest of PS FF games. Battle system was definetly the weakest part and the characters and plot wasn't that interesting.

-Stryder-

I'll only get an FF game if it's a new IP for the vita.

I haven't cared for FF since FFX. Everything after X has been pure garbage.

Dante316

Omg. I really forgot the conference starts in 35 minutes. Got caught up with destiny. Bring me some rpg goodness too sony and dont be a soony. Ty

duckroll

I haven't played the 'older and better' FF games before FFVI. FFIX was a breath of fresh air that anybody could play and smile about. Reminded me of Nintendo games and Chrono Trigger in that sense.

Oh I definitely know the feeling at the time FFIX was released. Even for people who were long time FF fans, the fantasy setting was a breath of fresh air and who can forget the Alexander vs Bahamut FMV? Lol. But aside from that experience when it was released, I don't think it holds up as a great game these days at all. Chrono Trigger definitely does.

I don't like the battle system much either. It was less refined compared to FFVII and FFX in terms of encounter design and balance, and it was less unique/interesting compared to FFVIII. It just felt like something trying to feel like a "traditional" FF game without really having anything special or great on it's own. I think out of all the FF games Ito worked on, FFIX is his weakest.

For me, I think - if we're talking Ito - titles like FF6 and FF12 have better parts, but FF9 is the better sum, even with all its flaws. The game is the very definition of 'more than the sum of its parts' to me. But I absolutely understand why people may feel otherwise, particularly with the speed issues. A version of that game with the frame rate cranked up and the load times obliterated would be a dream for me.

Chrono Trigger, which you mentioned in another post, is undoubtedly objectively better... but it's the best JRPG ever, I'd argue, so that's fair. On a subjective level FF9 is my favourite for a lot of personal reasons, however.

Exentryk

To clarify, when I say that it is pathetic to be licking the dirt on the floor in desperation, I'm specifically referring to going after unsourced Tweets in Japanese by unknown people to find some sort of validation. I don't think that's necessary, especially given that there isn't really any information there. Let's think about this logically. It tells us nothing. Everyone will still need to wait a day to know if any of it is true. So why not just chill and wait a day without thinking about something that adds nothing to the picture?

You don't win the lottery if you don't buy the ticket. Sometimes you win big (ROEN leaks, TGS site leak), sometimes it's barely anything (like that tweet). You might do this sorta thing for animes, while others do it for games (Versus). You might not do it all, and that's fine. To each their own.

duckroll

For me, I think - if we're talking Ito - titles like FF6 and FF12 have better parts, but FF9 is the better sum, even with all its flaws. But I absolutely understand why people may feel otherwise, particularly with the speed issues. A version of that game with the frame rate cranked up and the load times obliterated would be a dream for me.

Sure, I can understand preferring the "whole" since some of it can be very subjective. There's an appeal to the world and characters in FFIX even though I find them extremely artificial in terms of pandering to an "old fantasy" feel. What I was referring to with Ito in particular though, was no so much his role in directing the entire game, but rather his work on gameplay system design. If we look at FF5-9, 12, FFT, etc. I think that ultimately the battle system and skill systems in FF9 feel the least interesting to me. That's where most of my disappointment lies.

wmlk

Oh I definitely know the feeling at the time FFIX was released. Even for people who were long time FF fans, the fantasy setting was a breath of fresh air and who can forget the Alexander vs Bahamut FMV? Lol. But aside from that experience when it was released, I don't think it holds up as a great game these days at all. Chrono Trigger definitely does.

I was reaching a bit with my FFIX statement. I just like what it represents in being extremely charming. That goes a long way to me.

For me, I think - if we're talking Ito - titles like FF6 and FF12 have better parts, but FF9 is the better sum, even with all its flaws. But I absolutely understand why people may feel otherwise, particularly with the speed issues. A version of that game with the frame rate cranked up and the load times obliterated would be a dream for me.

Chrono Trigger, which you mentioned in another post, is undoubtedly objectively better... but it's the best JRPG ever, I'd argue, so that's fair. On a subjective level FF9 is my favourite for a lot of personal reasons, however.

Speaking of which, I really hope Itou works on FFXVI or something. Regardless, I just want it to be a far departure from the overly dramatic FFXV and FFXIII. I just want a game that has fun with itself like FFIX and Chrono Trigger.

Top Bottom