• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Type-0 HD, Uncharted 4, + more leaked on Sony TGS site

Replicant

ibbqetgmR2rkur.gif

HNNNNGH. The Queen Returns. We're not worthy!!!

Sure, I can understand preferring the "whole" since some of it can be very subjective. There's an appeal to the world and characters in FFIX even though I find them extremely artificial in terms of pandering to an "old fantasy" feel. What I was referring to with Ito in particular though, was no so much his role in directing the entire game, but rather his work on gameplay system design. If we look at FF5-9, 12, FFT, etc. I think that ultimately the battle system and skill systems in FF9 feel the least interesting to me. That's where most of my disappointment lies.

Oh, Ito's done some amazing work. Incredible work; he's arguably the most forward thinking designer ever to occupy a major position in the JRPG space and the fact that he's been off on the sidelines for so long is a bloody travesty.

FFIX plays it very safe. It's by the numbers and simple by design. There's a beauty and a charm to that in its own way, but it isn't the earth shaker that his other works have been in one way or another. For all its simplicity, mind, I do think there's a wonderful level of nuance and thoughtfulness in aspects of the game's battle and progression design while also keeping it simple. In that sense it reminds me a bit of Chrono Trigger, which is also incredibly stripped-back compared to FF6, its brother, but FF9 is hobbled by the way battles perform and the loads going into them.

Best work in that respect is difficult, just as it is with a film maker (say, Kubrick, or Ridley Scott or somebody) - there's works that are complicated and impressive in what they accomplish, and there's works that are just well rounded pieces of art even if they're not mould-breaking. That's what FF9 is to me. Even beyond the systems, there are aspects of it I appreciate so very much, like the wonderful European filtered through Japan aesthetic it wears so proudly both in music and in visual identity. The game just has so much... heart.

I don't think FF13 is a bad game. I actually think it's a pretty good game - it's got an interesting battle system and for all the hate they get, I think as an ensemble FF13 has one of the better group casts in the series (behind 9 & 6, and discounting how these characters and their fates change in the sequels), even if it doesn't have particularly bright individuals and lacks a strong antagonist of any description. Yet at the same time, it carries a Star Wars prequel sort of thing along with it where a lot of it feels designed by committee rather than by a driving, uniting vision. I don't want to get into games as art, but I do believe they are, and any piece of work like that - a novel, an album, a movie, whatever - needs a strong vision to hold its team together, something they can believe in and work with. FF13 often feels like a lot of the poor souls who worked on it were as robots. FF9, or Chrono Trigger, for instance, feel like very organically 'grown' games to me; I can practically feel the knarls and bumps in its 'texture', borne from the natural twists and turns a project like that can take, when I experience those, just as I can with a really classic movie or piece of written work. FF13, by comparison, feels 'constructed' rather than grown. This is very difficult to articulate. 'Feel' is such a wishy-washy, nebulous thing, but it is absolutely real.

Something I see a lot in FF up to 9, slightly less in 10, damaged in 12 by the to-ing and the fro-ing and the chopping and the changing during development, and then deeply diminished in 13, is humanity. 13 is an interesting and decent little game, and it's very pretty and intricately designed in world and mechanics alike -- but somehow, for some reason, it feels very robotic and cold by comparison to its siblings. Hard to articulate, but, yeah.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
REV2 for vita would most certainly explain why the models are decent but the textures are so low rez in the screenshots

they're using the same technique as REV1 -> HD, where they just have the full poly models for CG scenes and stuff, so they use that whenever possible for current/next-gen consoles while the portable version gets their own portable model

That doesn't explain why they skipped the system with the first one and then did "dev" on 2.

Such a weird bizarre and totally Capcom move, though. I won't buy it, just on the principal that the first one didn't come to the system.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This was such an amazing design.

Probably one of Nomura's absolute best.

Can't wait to see the new version in full.Hope it holds up to this iconic design.

I remember someone saying that she looked more like a young girl in the 15 renders than the mature early 20s woman seen in the earlier trailers, and Nomura disagreed saying 'she looks more cute'. I don't know how to respond to that until i see her fully.

HeelPower

well her face is sadly different now. most likely her clothes will look good

The dress and clothing were beautiful too.Can't wait to see the new versions.

I remember someone saying that she looked more like a young girl in the 15 renders than the mature early 20s woman seen in the earlier trailers, and Nomura disagreed saying 'she looks more cute'. I don't know how to respond to that until i see her fully.

Yup...Still waiting on the on a complete new look at the character until I can decide whether the new design was a downgrade.

wmlk

Even beyond the systems, there are aspects of it I appreciate so very much, like the wonderful European filtered through Japan aesthetic it wears so proudly both in music and in visual identity. The game just has so much... heart.

Agree completely. I feel like more than anything, this .GIF and video encapsulates what I love so much about FFIX.

tumblr_ltn3cfmssa1r0yyu6o1_500.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zBaBSY59PQ

I feel like FFXV will feel very much like an artificial product than something with 'heart'. It's something that SE's RPGs have lost since DQVIII in my opinion. I feel like there are numerous reasons as to why, and I think we saw a similar thing happen with Watch_Dogs and how manufactured it felt. Nothing fit in right with that game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Kagari must have noticed it.

On another note, i really hope the combat system has variance. Its still gotta feel like an action RPG, instead of just a straight action game

The dress and clothing were beautiful too.Can't wait to see the new versions.

Yup...Still waiting on the on a complete new look at the character until I can decide whether the new design was a downgrade.
I hope there are alternate outfits. I need more dress-up in my FF. LR's outfits were abominations, minus the odd one here and there like the Sacred Knight.

Not nearly as hilariously out of character, but still.

Would love for FFXV's characters to have an accessible amount of costumes. Hell, they should at least have Nomura's original costume set unlockable, as well as let Noctis fight in that snazzy suit(from the gallery scene). Hell, for fun, let an unlockable be Squall's outfit.

BrandonS

Banned
If FF15 has costumes I hope they're all based on real outfits and Square can get endorsement deals with actual clothing designers

Instead of that CRAY CRAY fantasy clothes LOL It's so CRAY

JoJoSono

Banned
Would love for FFXV's characters to have an accessible amount of costumes. Hell, they should at least have Nomura's original costume set unlockable, as well as let Noctis fight in that snazzy suit(from the gallery scene). Hell, for fun, let an unlockable be Squall's outfit.

It would be cool if 15 took a que from Resonance of Fate in the cloths department.

you have to buy Roen products to get the DL code for a costume

androvsky

If FF15 has costumes I hope they're all based on real outfits and Square can get endorsement deals with actual clothing designers

Instead of that CRAY CRAY fantasy clothes LOL It's so CRAY

Didn't Square already get an endorsement deal for a clothing designer back when it was still called vs XIII?

Wilsongt

I think there's just already a split on this - there was largely boundless excitement and hype for 13 in the face of some troubling questions for a long time (never forget the boundless enthusiasm, even from resident naysayer Kagari, in this thread for the 2009 Advent Children BluRay demo, where people paid more than the cost of full games just to play twenty minutes) but I think at this point the silliness has worn on so long that you've got a few groups; there's of course those resilient enough to still be incredibly hungry and excited who would go for such a demo again. However, what wasn't nearly as present with FF13 is that there's now those still salty over things they didn't like about the Lightning Trilogy or those who have been made jaded by the wait and thus simply don't believe SE can deliver. On top of that, there's a group who aren't ecstatic about the KH-ish look of the combat we've seen so far. It's already a polarizing game in that sense... so you're going to get these comments, I guess.

It'll be interesting, really, to see if the game can shrug off all this baggage when the time comes for SE to market and hype it. FF13 had an incredible ramp, all things told - the buzz and feeling around that game in 2009 was really a marketers dream. I think it's a much steeper incline for them to climb with 15.

Man... Kags has come a long, long way since then... :O Now she spends her time farming t9 only to have WHM gear drop every week.

Hey it'll be just like the Uniqlo promotion with Peace Walker on PSP! Except 100x the price! :)

was the Roen stuff supposed to be buy-able? reminds me of Amano. they did stuff for VS/XV and they are probably wondering when they'll release it.

I remember there was an interview with Amano saying he forgot what he did for XV haha

Top Bottom