• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFCC: The Crystal Bearers Website (Releasing NA 26.12.09)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Fuu said:
The Clavats also have a kingdom in CB (which Althea is a princess of) so even if we don't know yet of the situation of the Selkies I don't think the Lilties are "ruling the world" again like it was in the past.

Althea is definitely a Lilty princess, not a Clavat one. Besides the trademark hair-with-sprout, the scans say as such pretty explicitly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tathanen said:
Althea is definitely a Lilty princess, not a Clavat one. Besides the trademark hair-with-sprout, the scans say as such pretty explicitly.
lol, my mistake, sorry. Got the characters confused.

Fuu said:
The Clavats also have a kingdom in CB (which Althea is a princess of) so even if we don't know yet of the full status of the Selkies I don't think the Lilties are "ruling the world" again like it was in the past.
The Official site says Althea is a Lilty. I think it was a mistranslation by somebody saying she was a Clavat.

Fuu

New long Lilties are long, I'm so used to seeing them small and round that I got confused with the wrong info and mixed things up. :lol

Still, I don't think the Lilties reach is as large as it was in the past but it's probably their intent to rule the other races. We'll probably get more political details when new info is released.

Finally saw the Jump scan. Man I can't wait for more info on how battles in the air go.

Also the Selkie guy looks slightly different from how he appeared in the old trailer.

Fuu

Ripped the screens from the characters section. They have artifacts and look shitty on their original size so I resized them to how they show on the site.

29kvxmw.jpg
az7ubb.jpg

ifu9f8.jpg
fnusyc.jpg

2z8waxx.jpg
hs2l1j.jpg

4hpn2a.jpg
2h7013a.jpg

acy5aw.jpg
32zhzb7.jpg

2eban9v.jpg
w03tt.jpg

And Famitsu (some repeats but they look better):

2mowkqw.jpg

2vsoqiv.jpg

288qbuo.jpg

eg34b8.jpg

GoldandBlue said:
Finally saw the Jump scan. Man I can't wait for more info on how battles in the air go.

Also the Selkie guy looks slightly different from how he appeared in the old trailer.
Just saw it too. I think it's the first time we see a screen with a reticule (there will probably be reticules most of the time in the gameplay, that's why it stands out to me).

The Selkie guy does look a bit different, his eyes seem smaller but maybe it's just that screen. His model looks a bit updated too, the shoulder armor looks better.

And no way to mistake him for a girl in the artwork. :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
The texture work on Amidatelion is really good.

The Jump scan looks great, it's nice to finally see some artwork for the Selkie guy.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ShockingAlberto said:
2h7013a.jpg

I hate the look of this character. She's just so...technologically incongruent with Layle and the king.

I think she fits in pretty okay. She's a scholarly princess, not a Crystal Bearer or an army general (which is what that dude actually is). She seems to match most of the other Lilties in overall style.

Fuu

ShockingAlberto said:
I hate the look of this character. She's just so...technologically incongruent with Layle and the king.
I dunno, her clothes makes sense since she's a noble and considering how she would look like in the old school Lilty design, I think she's ok.

o057b.jpg

Edit: beaten by Tathanen.

elrohir

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
2h7013a.jpg

the king? i suppose, this is the ill king, the father of Althea:

king.jpg

RpgN

Fuu said:
I dunno, her clothes makes sense since she's a noble and considering how she would look like in the old school Lilty design, I think she's ok.

o057b.jpg

Edit: beaten by Tathanen.

I don't know, whith her height being taller than the average Lilties and the way she is dressed, she looks like a daughter of a Cavat and a Liltie :lol

*Ps. Edited the translated reply, the last sentence was incorrect.

Fuu

Was watching the trailer again and there is a reticule during the gameplay scenes (different from the one in the new scan as one is for Layle's power and the other is for the weapon he's holding).

joetachi said:
The guys in this game sure do love their coffee.:D
I just noticed the Selkie dude is holding a can too in the artwork. :lol

SilverLunar said:
Isn't that a crystal on her chest area?? it looks exactly like the one Layle have.
It is a crystal but she's not a Bearer (from the info we have). Speaking of that, I noticed she doesn't have it in the trailer:

2copy1i.png

Maybe it will play a part in the story or it's just that her model didn't had it added yet when they released the trailer, lolz. Similar cystals can be seen with Layle, Amidatelion and Selkie dude (if it's not the same one in different scenes).

elrohir said:
the Selkie guy's name is Quais...or Kuaisu...?
They'll probably romanize it as Quais or something close to that.

RpgN said:
I don't know, whith her height being taller than the average Lilties and the way she is dressed, she looks like a daughter of a Cavat and a Liltie :lol

*Ps. Edited the translated reply, the last sentence was incorrect.
Haha, could be. But it does look like Itahana changed the overall Lilty design, the girls running after Layle are quite tall for instance. The shortest ones are the guards that appear with Jegran, and Jegran himself is very big.

Sqorgar

Banned
I've only played Ring of Fates and I'm two-thirds through Echoes of Time (which is great). This game looks great too. But I've never played the original Crystal Chronicles game. Is it worth tracking down? How similar is it to the two DS games?

ivysaur12

Banned
What do the scans say about our new Selkie guy? And Quais would be interesting. It would seem that the Lilties and Selkies also lost their former naming conventions.

RpgN

Fuu said:
Haha, could be. But it does look like Itahana changed the overall Lilty design, the girls running after Layle are quite tall for instance. The shortest ones are the guards that appear with Jegran, and Jegran himself is very big.

Hey we can guess lol I missed my Lilties small and cute :p You wouldn't believe those little devils were the strongest race.

I checked the site out again and I'm not sure if it's mentioned before, but in the prologue, they mention the whole timeline of all the FFCC games. They just give sentence for each game and I made an easy guess of what they mean XD

1. The adventurers who cleared the miasma (Final Fantasy The Crystal Chronicles)
2. The small king who led a lively and bursting city. (FFCC My life as a king)
3. The adventure of the twins with love. (FFCC The Rings of Fate)
4. A girl and a cat that were shown the gentille side of the word. (FFCC Echoes of Time)

5. And then comes the whole history of the Yukes VS Lilties

6. The present (FFCC The Crystal Bearers)

Also I checked the profile of some characters since I got curious by that half Liltie half Clavat (says me na!).

Althea The lone daughter of the king and queen Alexsus (Arekushisu) and princess of the kingdom of Lilties. Her mother died while she was still young, and the king lying sick in bed right now. She owes it to herself to attempt to save the Lilties tribe and the world.

Amidatelion Lol look at this gender unknown written on the site!

A lonely Yuke appeared in the world with a dark appearance. Why did a Yuke appear in the world when the race is supposed to not exist? And what is its aim? The people are puzzled by all of this.

Ps. the characters are sooooo small on the fricking site! If only it was a little more readable I would have made less errors and more info.

RpgN said:
1. The adventurers who cleared the miasma (Final Fantasy The Crystal Chronicles)
2. The small king who led a lively and bursting city. (FFCC My life as a king)
3. The adventure of the twins with love. (FFCC The Rings of Fate)
4. A girl and a cat that were shown the gentille side of the word. (FFCC Echoes of Time)

5. And then comes the whole history of the Yukes VS Lilties

6. The present (FFCC The Crystal Bearers)
Wait...why is Ring of Fates after FFCC? They kept saying before that RoF was a prequel. D: This is confusing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I doubt that list of games implies actual plot ordering, unfortunately. Just in order of release. Since yeah Ring of Fates is incontestably before the original FFCC.

RpgN

GoldandBlue said:
Wait...why is Ring of Fates after FFCC? They kept saying before that RoF was a prequel. D: This is confusing.

I have no idea, where did they say that Ring of Fates was a prequel?

This is exactly how the prologue started, which seems that this is how the event went.

*Confused as well*

RpgN

Tathanen said:
I doubt that list of games implies actual plot ordering, unfortunately. Just in order of release. Since yeah Ring of Fates is incontestably before the original FFCC.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord

Ring of Fates was released before My life as a King?

Fuu

This is indeed confusing. Even if they're just talking about the order the games were released, MLaaK was released after RoF. :( Maybe someone made a mistake when putting the site together?

Gender unknown, haha. The woman voice in the trailer would make this clear but looks like we can't be sure. Not that the gender of a Yuke makes much difference.

RpgN said:
I have no idea, where did they say that Ring of Fates was a prequel?

This is exactly how the prologue started, which seems that this is how the event went.

*Confused as well*
It was stated I remember back when the game was announced. There are also things in the story that take place before the original like the Great Crystal is still in one piece and Rebena Te Ra which in FFCC was in ruins, is the town you visit in Ring of Fates where the four tribes live together (they mention this too in FFCC that in the past Rebena Te Ra was a kingdom where the four tribes lived together.)
Tathanen said:

My Life as a King was released after Ring of Fates.

RpgN

GoldandBlue said:
It was stated I remember back when the game was announced. There are also things in the story that take place before the original like the Great Crystal is still in one piece and Rebena Te Ra which in FFCC was in ruins, is the town you visit in Ring of Fates where the four tribes live together (they mention this too in FFCC that in the past Rebena Te Ra was a kingdom where the four tribes lived together.)

My Life as a King was released after Ring of Fates.

Hmmm...I only played a small part of the Ring of Fates, I need to get back to that some time. But the intro of that prologue...was that just a general discription of each game in no particular order? I guess it must be.

So sorry about the little confusion :(

Fuu

A friend of mine said she felt Layle looks like a Star Wars character. At first I didn't understad why she said it but then I realized it was because he has Episode IV Luke's hair. Even more entertaining now that some articles say he has "Force Push-like" powers.

SilverLunar said:
Layle's nose....IT IS BOTHERING ME.
lol, what's wrong with it? Is it the shading in the artwork? I think it looks normal.

11vkvo6.png

RpgN said:
So sorry about the little confusion :(
Don't be! It is kinda hard to know the details from the CC series because there are so many subtle things and so few exposition (and it's part of what makes it interesting too). The translations you're providing are appreciated. :D

RpgN

Sqorgar said:
I've only played Ring of Fates and I'm two-thirds through Echoes of Time (which is great). This game looks great too. But I've never played the original Crystal Chronicles game. Is it worth tracking down? How similar is it to the two DS games?

When it comes to story, the original Crystal Chronicles isn't quite cinematic like the Rings of Fates and Echoes of Time. But like Fuu mentioned, there are subtle things you can pick up in the game, not straight in your face drama and story. There's less character development, your hero is just the quiet type who sets forth to collect 3 drops of Crystal each year. Then there is festival in your hometown and you start the same process each year again. You can read on your book (as a sort of log) for what you have been up to. I remember it was written nicely and with lots of personal touch. And you encounter optional characters randomly on the world map. You never know who you are dealing with after you see them.

So far so average...

But that's not the game's main point. The game is really unique when it was released. The gameplay is very close to Ring of Fates, except you combine magic to make new magic. You can eat food as items, each race prefers some kind of food. Like one prefering fish while others love eating fruit. At the start of the game, you can select out of the 4 races, gender, and your family's job. That last one is very important for the whole game, after each crystal drop, you receive letters from your parents from a moogle. You can answer them back and give them items. If you treat them well enough, you receive more items or money from them after each year. Very nice. And the way you customize your character is also dfferent, after defeating each boss in a dungeon, you get to make a choice to pick a permanent stat boost, like attack plus 2 etc. In the main menu you can keep track of how many total stat boosts there are and how much you own. Great for grind lovers and collectors. I think the monsters got also harder each year.

The graphics are gorgeous, one of the prettiest games on the gamecube. It was made with so much care and warmth. The music is probably just as good if not better, it's still Kumi Tanioka's best composition in FFCC imo.

And one thing, which isn't liked by many (I don't mind) is that cage your moogles carries for you for protection from the miasma. With that you always have to stay close to it, some people didn't like that and just wanted to move around wherever they pleased.

Also, people didn't like it because you were meant to play it with friends. And well...each friend needed to have a gba and a cable. Which is stupid, but I enjoyed it a lot on my own.

In short, the game is unique. Very different compared to other games when it was first released, way too different to be called a Final Fantasy. But what it does, it does good. It gave me a great sense of adventure. It's definitely a game that has divided opinions a bit like Shenmue. I'd say you should certainly give it a try. To know more about the history of CC and the unique gameplay design choices it has.

Fuu said:
Don't be! It is kinda hard to know the details from the CC series because there are so many subtle things and so few exposition (and it's part of what makes it interesting too). The translations you're providing are appreciated. :D

Fuu! You're so kind...Thanks :D

Josh7289

-WindYoshi- said:
I don't care what anyone says - THAT IS AN AWESOME LOGO!
The picture of Layle is pretty good too, it reminds me of the quality of Tidus on the FFX boxart.
Totally agreed, that logo's freaking awesome.

Damn, this game looks good. It's the only game I'm looking forward to now.

CTLance said:
You are certainly not alone with that craving. Nobody I know still owns a GBA though, and playing alone is just not the same.

Honestly people need to stop saying this. It was a great game on single player, but a completely kick-ass game multiplayer. Either way if you haven't played the original FFCC it's definitely something you should experience. Such amazingly beautiful art and soundtrack to that game gets overlooked because omg gba cable multiplayer wtf.

CTLance

HappyBivouac said:
Honestly people need to stop saying this. It was a great game on single player, but a completely kick-ass game multiplayer.
(underscores added for emphasis)
I think we're actually in agreement here. Please note that I said "wouldn't be the same". I never, not once, implied that the singleplayer mode is bad. It's less fun than a full four-player setup, yes, but it's still worthwile if you like dungeoncrawling, awesome music, and great graphics.

Fuu

Is the "official site opening" showing this date to anyone else...? :lol

241jst3.jpg

Days later edit: It's showing the right year now.

Meesh

This is the first Nintendo bound Final Fantasy since FF3(6) that I've been this amped for, can't wait, and the Yukes are easily one of the most interesting in terms of character design. It's like if mad scientists combined Stein and Freya, bun ovened Big Bird as a surrogate, and the outcome is a lanky mage sporting impossibly gawky armor with light notes of Gothica.
I wish we could just play as Yukes :)

Top Bottom