• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFCC: The Crystal Bearers Website (Releasing NA 26.12.09)

Amir0x said:
I'm actually more excited for this game than FFXIII at this point. Never thought I'd say that but this one seems to have some real cool open-ended things about it. Really excited for Crystal Bearers now.

Same. The more I see and read about the game the more I want it. I'd say this is at the top of my most wanted list for any of the consoles.

markatisu

I am glad that we now know the reason why the game seemed to be cancelled for so long, they made the trailer and that was about it :lol

This looks like a high quality effort from Square so I am also happy to know its not a "spin off' or side game as so many Wii games have been.

I remember when they said Dissidia was 50% done. It was about June of 08 and the game came out 5 months later.

I've been keeping up with the game a lot but I can honestly say now that I'm hyped after all this news. :D

elrohir

Neo Member
Amidatelion...what a cool name!

Btw...on the last scan there are 3 landscape artworks...i love them.

*REMOVED*

it really looks like square enix is creating a high quality title. I hope, the story will be exciting.

Amir0x

Banned
elrohir said:
Amidatelion...what a cool name!

Btw...on the last scan there are 3 landscape artworks...i love them.

*REMOVED*

it really looks like square enix is creating a high quality title. I hope, the story will be exciting.

Your a junior so I'll give you this one warning: no scans of any sort.

Anyway, I think this game has a really rad direction. I mean the thing that really sold me was that leap off the cliff video... that seemed SO fucking 'big', like you could travel to really sweet and well designed areas. I prefer the exploration feel to the more confined closed/linear feel of some of the modern FF's, which is why I think FFXII is the best FF ever I suppose.

My expectation for the story is the same as all Final Fantasy titles: it will suck. All Final Fantasy games have awful stories so I never expect much there.

elrohir

Neo Member
I'm so sorry! will never post any scans again.

well, i didn't play every FF game, but the story of FF8 wasn't that bad.

and yes, the cliff-video was the best clip. the landscape looks huge.

Amir0x

Banned
elrohir said:
I'm so sorry! will never post any scans again.

It's no problem, not every one is up-to-date on policy shifts.

elrohir said:
well, i didn't play every FF game, but the story of FF8 wasn't that bad.

Really? Man, I have FF8 pegged as THE worst Final Fantasy storyline. I mean, "The Guardian Forces made us forget?" TIME COMPRESSION? Ultimecia time witch crazy what the fuck? Emo Soap Opera Squall and his endlessly forgiving concubine Rinoa?

Seriously I have no idea what they were trying to do in that game, its plot had more holes than that one movie called HOLES.

ivysaur12

Banned
No matter how simple the original FF:CC story was, I thought the concept of focusing on memories was pretty nifty. It's been such a part of the other FF:CCs, I hope that it's still in this one.

And Layle just seems badass.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I like CC precisely because it has a more simple and minimalist approach to plot. Layle rocks already and it's clear that they're up to not taking the game in the serious business path, which is always a good sign in my book.

Fritz

Fuu said:
I like CC precisely because it has a more simple and minimalist approach to plot. Layle rocks already and it's clear that they're up to not taking the game in the serious business path, which is always a good sign in my book.

dito, games tent to be way overloaded with plotlines these days. Its not so much the sheer amount of content but the lack of seamless, natural flow. Developers should stick to some rules of storytelling

The story could be awful, but still be savable if they tell it well.

No melodrama and just having Layle show up and be like "Well, this is stupid, I'm going to go save people now" will be better than scenes of him angsting.

Twig

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The story could be awful, but still be savable if they tell it well.

No melodrama and just having Layle show up and be like "Well, this is stupid, I'm going to go save people now" will be better than scenes of him angsting.
A main character actually saying something like that might be the best thing ever.

RpgN

At first I was saddened by the switch compared to the very first FFCC, but after seeing a bunch of videos...sold! This looks so awesome and out of this world. The atmosphere has a little bit of FFXII in it, only it's more like a sandbox and GTA. And the hero is so unusual. Hype hype hype!

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
pakkit said:
People play Final Fantasy for the story?

I sure as hell didn't grind my way through XII hoping for improved gameplay. Hoping for an improvement to the story seemed reasonable enough. Too bad that I was still asking for too much. :/

elrohir

Neo Member
jeremy1456 said:
I really hate to tell you this but it's a confirmed tranny surprise!
a tranny, or she and her lookalike male character are twins/siblings and clavats. otherwise the character designer is a lazy ass.

bearers.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dascu said:
No it isn't?

Oh sry, you`re right - the scene i meant was already in the trailer included. in echoes of time...aargh ....my bad ;-/

king zell said:
um i dont see anything new i hate the beginning of the Trailer, why didn't Square made it in an EPIC way:(

Maybe because the game isn`t supposed to be that epic ? ^^
but you`re right -even mario galaxy had those epic trailers lol

RpgN

Black-Wind said:
Need trans!

Concept

It was 22 years ago where I first made a challenging product, it was the very first Final Fantasy. To me, this was how you would make an rpg . I have put all those thoughts/ideas in that product.

And now.

The hardware has changed from the famicon to the wii, but the thoughts haven't changed.
The me right now, A Final Fantasy I would want to make, it would be Final Fantasy The Crystal Bearers.

While continuing production, I'm aiming for all the wii users to be able to enjoy it.

Kawazu Akitoshi

About the prologue, not much is mentioned there besides of what we know. IE Yuke race existed thousends of years ago, but their existence was forgotten over time. How there was a war between the Lilties and the Yukes, the first one who would destroy the crystal of the other race. Yukes had strong magic at their side but the Lilties managed to destroy the Yukes's crystal first and thus the Yukes appearance disappeared from the world (not sure in what way disappeared, it didn't mention death). And the present where blades have been exchanged for firearms. Magic's existence has been forgotten. And the Lilties use the power of the Crystals, that was meant for use in supporting people in their everyday life (Okay, I'm lost here now lol Totally not sure about the last sentence).

From playing FFCC on the gamecube, do they mean that small Yuke village that was hidden? That they hid themselves from the world? Or was that a different time?

Fuu

Thanks for the info, RPGN. :)

That Yuke village in the original CC, Shella, is from a timeline before Crystal Bearers. It wasn't really hidden but it was magically protected and visitors were only allowed to enter if they had a Mark of Shella (constant tourism probably wouldn't be good for their studies). Some Yukes shared their knowledge and taught magic to people from other tribes there too.

I wonder what would take Lilties to engage in a war with the Yukes, the races are generally peaceful between each other. I guess that with no miasma it would only take some violent expansionists Lilties dreaming of their empire of old to trigger it. There's certainly more to it anyway.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There seems to be new images or at least short scenes i don't recall on the site if you click around. The sites pretty badass. Anyone know if there's any new details?

edit:

And what exactly is a Yuke?? He doesnt even look like he has a body, he's all spine

ivysaur12

Banned
John Harker said:
There seems to be new images or at least short scenes i don't recall on the site if you click around. The sites pretty badass. Anyone know if there's any new details?

edit:

And what exactly is a Yuke?? He doesnt even look like he has a body, he's all spine

They definitely had bigger hands back in the day. I hope we finally get to see what's under the helmet.

John Harker said:

edit:

According to Wiki:

Yukes (ユーク ,Yūku?) are tall, slender creatures with helmets that cover their faces most of the time, though it is mentioned by a scholar in the game that Yukes may lack physical bodies and only have souls. They also have long, feathered, striped arms, and small, vestigial wings. In the past, the Yukes were the only tribe not to be under the control of the Liltian empire. They achieved this by being sieged on the island of Shella, aided by their magic.[4] In the recent past, they built the Veo Lu Sluice, which diverts Lake Shella into the Jegon River and enables the high fertility in Fum. A majority of Yukes live at Shella, teaching magic to others, but they still retain their aloofness. A non-Yuke can enter the city only if they have a Mark of Shella, which can be found at the Sluice. Their emblem is a stylized Yuke seen head on. Yukes are powerful magic casters, but are weak physical attackers. Their "Defend" command is possibly the most useful, as it makes them immune to all physical and magical attacks. Yukes use hammers as weapons, and their race-exclusive armor is helmets.

Anyone remember that happening?

John Harker said:

edit:

In the original game they mention Yukes possibly have no body under their armor as they sacrificed it in exchange for being better magic user. Although the Yuke in The Crystal Bearers body might be like this due to the fact she's a Crystal Bearer. They said that the characters who are Crystal Bearers, have part of their body crystallized (Layle's being his cheek.)

You know I have the FFCC Ultimania :)lol Yeah, I don't know Japanese but bought it anyways cause I like the series and all the artwork is cool.) They show a few early concept sketches of the Yuke without armor and they look like kinda like birds. Of course this is stuff they never used in the game so who knows if it's canon.

RpgN

Fuu said:
Thanks for the info, RPGN. :)

That Yuke village in the original CC, Shella, is from a timeline before Crystal Bearers. It wasn't really hidden but it was magically protected and visitors were only allowed to enter if they had a Mark of Shella (constant tourism probably wouldn't be good for their studies). Some Yukes shared their knowledge and taught magic to people from other tribes there too.

It's coming back now a little, it has been 5 years ago since I played it. beautiful details and backstory.

See, now that you are saying the events of Crystal Bearers are after Crystal Chronicles, but in Crystal Chronicles there was also the history that Lilties ruled the world before if I remember correctly. So what you're telling me is that there has been another war and the Lilties ruled for the second time?

And you're welcome. What I translate is far from 100% correct but I try my best when lending a hand in Gaf :]

RpgN said:
It's coming back now a little, it has been 5 years ago since I played it. beautiful details and backstory.

See, now that you are saying the events of Crystal Bearers are after Crystal Chronicles, but in Crystal Chronicles there was also the history that Lilties ruled the world before if I remember correctly. So what you're telling me is that there has been another war and the Lilties ruled for the second time?
That wouldn't be that surprising. They're a warrior race and generally pretty powerful.

Fuu

RpgN said:

I don't know how the original rule of the Lilties ceased to be (if it was by war or some other reason) but the war against the Yukes they're talking about in Bearers happened after the original game.

The Clavats also have a kingdom in CB (which Althea is a princess of) so even if we don't know yet of the full status of the Selkies I don't think the Lilties are "ruling the world" again like it was in the past.

I don't care what anyone says - THAT IS AN AWESOME LOGO!
The picture of Layle is pretty good too, it reminds me of the quality of Tidus on the FFX boxart.

Top Bottom