• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFCC: The Crystal Bearers Website (Releasing NA 26.12.09)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Some things from the videos we watched is also featured, like the wolfs enamored with the rock Layle carries and when the monsters owned him and got festive about it. There's a screen where he's running from an explosion, I wish it was in one of the videos. :lol

Amidatelion (the Yuke) quicks ass too.

Shiggy said:
Some areas look really ugly with their textures and so on - those parts remind me of Twilight Princess -.-
Let's hope the developers will put a little bit more effort into upgrading the game's graphics.
Which ones you feel look bad? I think it all looks from average to good. Some of the open world look bland but if that's a trade for many enemies doing random crap in those areas, I'm good. There's a battle screen with the train tracks + some windmills in the background that looks a little more richer.

I don't think we need to worry though, SE hardly disappoints with how their games look.

EatChildren said:
I'm so interested to hear or see how this game really plays. Everything seems so open world, and I'd like to know to what extent.

If it's really sandbox-like then screwing around with superpowers is going to be so much fun.
They have a nice template here, it will all come down to the type and amount of content they're putting in the game. As long as there's variation and lots of stuff to do, I think it will be great.

Akai

Fuu said:
The stuff going on in the town is hiallarious, he's carrying a kid with his powers, looking at a giant decorated round rock, running from girls, running from a guard and stealing a newspaper from a dude. :lol

Hahaha, yeah, it sounds like your actions directly affect how NPCs react to you over time...(And that big rock is the one from the clip with the guard pinned under it, obviously giving you a chance to get kudo points from everyone there...)

elrohir said:
So is this big dark Lilty JEGRAN a bad or a good man?

As far we know, a good guy...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
elrohir said:
So is this big dark Lilty JEGRAN a bad or a good man?

Well he's the Lilty King I think, and that princess is his daughter I think, and he's in some scenes just kind of yakkin it up with Layle, so he doesn't SEEM that evil. At least, not at the start.

But man oh man this game. These scans have really got me excited. The way I see it, Crystal Bearers finally makes "Nintendo-exclusive Final Fantasy" more than a joke. Not that the other games weren't great, but none of them were even remotely this high-profile and well produced. This basically looks like a full-on FF to me (despite the obvious differences in gameplay). It's pretty cool to have two fully-established FF series running in parallel on the two machines. If Crystal Bearers, FFXIII, and FFvXIII all come out within a year of each other I might not be able to handle it.

Fuu

Akai said:
Hahaha, yeah, it sounds like your actions directly affect how NPCs react to you over time...(And that big rock is the one from the clip with the guard pinned under it, obviously giving you a chance to get kudo points from everyone there...)
You're right, I didn't notice at first but it's the same place and situation from the video. There's a bunch of them hanging on the air in other screens too, guess you can cause mayhem by bringing them down with your powers.

I wonder if there's a contingent at Square that is annoyed this game isn't on PS3 or 360.

The only reason this thought comes to me is because this seems like an actual major game for them, but Square's developers always seem to prefer working on more advanced hardware for games like that.

I'm glad it's on Wii, though, if only because it might one day come out.

Fuu

^ :lol

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder if there's a contingent at Square that is annoyed this game isn't on PS3 or 360.

The only reason this thought comes to me is because this seems like an actual major game for them, but Square's developers always seem to prefer working on more advanced hardware for games like that.

I don't know, this game does seem larger in scope but all the last few 3 CC related games were for DS and Wii, so it's not like Kawazu, Itahana and the other people usually involved with Crystal Chronicles will bother too much about "raw power" by now. If there's a such a contingent I'm sure they're quite busy with other games too.

Anyway, I'm pretty hyped by the idea of an open world FF game as it is, so glad we're seeing more of it. I have the impression the action will brely a lot on the pointer, can't wait to see how/if they're going to implement it.

markatisu

ShockingAlberto said:

I doubt it, they are getting FFXIII

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dascu said:
60% completed... Hmm. Probably won't make it for the end of the year then.

In my limited experience following Famitsu news, 60% means its well on its way. For example, Darkside Chronicles when it was revealed was supposedly 30% done IIRC..and yet its supposed to come out Winter 2009 worldwide. 60% is actually pretty encouraging IMO.

Another example- Monster Hunter last October was I believe called 30% done as well..and is on track for a Summer 2009 release.

markatisu

Dascu said:
60% completed... Hmm. Probably won't make it for the end of the year then.

I don't think we would be seeing all these videos and a blowout of info as we are getting if the game was coming in late 2010

I would not be surprised if we got a Christmas launch in Japan and a Spring launch here in the US. It would give the Wii a real boost as well

[Nintex]

markatisu said:
I don't think we would be seeing all these videos and a blowout of info as we are getting if the game was coming in late 2010

I would not be surprised if we got a Christmas launch in Japan and a Spring launch here in the US. It would give the Wii a real boost as well
Christmas launch worldwide would be my guess, remember it's already rated by PEGI.

Dascu

schuelma said:
In my limited experience following Famitsu news, 60% means its well on its way. For example, Darkside Chronicles when it was revealed was supposedly 30% done IIRC..and yet its supposed to come out Winter 2009 worldwide. 60% is actually pretty encouraging IMO.

Another example- Monster Hunter last October was I believe called 30% done as well..and is on track for a Summer 2009 release.
Ah, right. Okay then, hope it's a nice worldwide release then.

schuelma

A few quotes from the IGN Article:

"Taking control of Layle, you'll get to use some of the character's neat gravitational abilities via the Wiimote. You use the Wiimote in pointer mode, pointing at objects to target them. The primary use for this appears to be as a means of grabbing demons and then using them for various purposes.

Layle's actions change depending on the type of creature he's grabbed. Sample actions include: tossing demons at other demons, stopping demons in their tracks by flipping them over, and swinging yourself around enemies as an evasion tactic.

If you make Layle grab onto something heavy, like a ceiling lamp for instance, he'll pull himself up like a grappling hook. You can use this to navigate ceilings without touching the ground and also to clear tricky terrain."

"The two hinted at somewhat of a free experience for users. There's no separation between battle and other elements of the game, said Kawazu. It's close to an open world game, he said, although that wasn't really the goal with the project. The actual goal apparently was to produce something that's fun not just to play but to watch as well. "

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Timeline discussion, woo!

So the original FFCC references an era where the Lilties were all in charge, and conquered the other races, save the Yukes, which were able to keep the Lilties back thanks to their magic. It would seem that Crystal Bearers is this post-war age with Lilty rulership. But Yukes wiped out? They were never wiped out in the FFCC account, and FFCC has a village full of them, who claim relations with the Lilties were strained, but are beginning to repair. Do I smell retcon?

Most confusing is what Echoes of Time has introduced. It references an "event" in the past that caused all of the crystals in the world to disappear, destroying an ancient civilization that used them for industry. FFCC says the Lilties declined because their iron from their mines ran out, and then the meteor parasite hitting the Great Crystal kind of fucks the whole world up, but at no point do crystals outright DISAPPEAR. The event in question is halfheartedly explained at the end of Echoes of Time, and doesn't seem to correspond to any other items from any other games, unless there's some parallel to the meteor parasite's impact that I'm just not picking up on.

I'm hoping Crystal Bearers will shed some light on all this nonsense.

ivysaur12

Banned
Tathanen said:

So the original FFCC references an era where the Lilties were all in charge, and conquered the other races, save the Yukes, which were able to keep the Lilties back thanks to their magic. It would seem that Crystal Bearers is this post-war age with Lilty rulership. But Yukes wiped out? They were never wiped out in the FFCC account, and FFCC has a village full of them, who claim relations with the Lilties were strained, but are beginning to repair. Do I smell retcon?

Most confusing is what Echoes of Time has introduced. It references an "event" in the past that caused all of the crystals in the world to disappear, destroying an ancient civilization that used them for industry. FFCC says the Lilties declined because their iron from their mines ran out, and then the meteor parasite hitting the Great Crystal kind of fucks the whole world up, but at no point do crystals outright DISAPPEAR. The event in question is halfheartedly explained at the end of Echoes of Time, and doesn't seem to correspond to any other items from any other games, unless there's some parallel to the meteor parasite's impact that I'm just not picking up on.

This most definitely takes places after FF:CC, as Lilty and Yuke relationship must have eventually been strained again. I haven't played EoT, so I have no idea how that fits in.

Tathanen said:

That Newsletter from not too long ago said that Lilties use the crystals that "once protected everyone" for industrial purposes. So Crystal Bearers is gonna take place after the original.

kenji

i don't like so much the fact that there's no level up in the game

also, the description of the gameplay talks a lot about the gravity ability.. but according to an old interview, there shouldn't be other classic weapons to use?

Zihark

The first cc had no level up, just stats. Also beginning of ign article say guns replace swords in cb-so there'll be guns as a weapon.

ivysaur12

Banned
kenji said:
i don't like so much the fact that there's no level up in the game

also, the description of the gameplay talks a lot about the gravity ability.. but according to an old interview, there shouldn't be other classic weapons to use?

There really wasn't a way to level up in the first game either. You raised your stats verrrrrry slowly. This seems less like an RPG and more like an action-adventure game.

I'd be disappointed if there are too many other traditional weapons to use.

Mainly because I fear there's going to be something that's inarguably stronger than everything else (including your super powers) and your gravity will just be a weak puzzle solving/"flip the enemy on their back" mechanic.

I'm bored of swords. Let's try this.

So is the Yuke Amidatelion a male? In the trailer you hear a female voice but the IGN article calls Amidatelion him, unless the Famitsu article didn't indicate the gender (the IGN article keeps going "the yuke creature" and not saying the gender until the end.)

birdchili

concept here is really nifty: open, "touchable", seamless fantasy world.

single scale, in-engine combat, and lots of pointer stuff for manipulating the environment.

if character customization is purely item-based they really need to do a good job on giving you options. this definitely "risks" (if you care) being more of an action/adventure than an rpg based on what they're saying.

potentially really great though.

Zihark

GoldandBlue said:
So is the Yuke Amidatelion a male? In the trailer you hear a female voice but the IGN article calls Amidatelion him, unless the Famitsu article didn't indicate the gender (the IGN article keeps going "the yuke creature" and not saying the gender until the end.)
ignn kept on calling the main character in fragile a she.

markatisu

Sweet

This game makes a point of giving the player a great deal of freedom, even as it retains touches of what makes the series unique. The battles are still action-oriented, and as you'd expect, you can use the Wii Remote to mark out targets and throw them around with your crystal skills as you fight lots of enemies at once. However, unlike previous FFCCs (and most JRPGs, for that matter), there's no demarcation between cities and "the great outdoors." Layle can use all of his skills in town, too, picking up children and using his Force-ish magic to rip the newspapers out of people's hands if he likes. This opens up a very Fable-like element to the game, as Layle's actions in urban areas can either make him the darling sweetheart of the town's ladies or get him kicked out by the city guard -- or both. (The game has none of the multiplayer features of previous FFCCs, as Layle works mostly by himself, but Kawazu hinted that other people can use Wiimotes to help, or hinder, you in unspecified ways as you play the game)

"Part of the original concept was to make a 'touchable' Final Fantasy," notes Toshiyuki Itanaha, the game's director and character designer. "Games up to now were designed to have you fight outdoors and go shopping and talk to people in town, but this project eliminates all of that." The Crystal Bearers still has no release date (Itahana estimated the game to be about 60 percent complete), but if it lives up to its creators' promises, the interminable wait we've dealt with may just be worth it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think I read somewhere that the Yuke was female, but (s)he's got bat wings, not white feathered ones. In every other game, bat-wings means male, feather-wings means female.

That Newsletter from not too long ago said that Lilties use the crystals that "once protected everyone" for industrial purposes. So Crystal Bearers is gonna take place after the original.

That's just really confusing, since the original states pretty explicitly that the Lilties had once basically ruled the world with industry and had a falling out with the Yukes, but had since declined. I mean I guess they could take over the world AGAIN and become an industrial powerhouse AGAIN and have ANOTHER falling out with the Yukes... but that doesn't sound especially likely to me.

Tathanen said:
I think I read somewhere that the Yuke was female, but (s)he's got bat wings, not white feathered ones. In every other game, bat-wings means male, feather-wings means female.

That's just really confusing, since the original states pretty explicitly that the Lilties had once basically ruled the world with industry and had a falling out with the Yukes, but had since declined. I mean I guess they could take over the world AGAIN and become an industrial powerhouse AGAIN and have ANOTHER falling out with the Yukes... but that doesn't sound especially likely to me.
Well, according to the 1up article:
Layle was born long after the events of previous FFCC games, and a lot's happened in the between time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tathanen said:

Don't recall where, but it was said this game takes place 1000 years after the first FFCC.
After you clear the miasma or whatever and the world is open again, things are hunky dory, till old prejudices come back, I suppose, likely over crystals, and the Lilties wipe out the Yukes and begin an Industrial Revolution of sorts

BikoBiko

Damn, all these movies and new info got me hyped, it sounds so promising! Why reveal so much now if it takes who knows how many months until we actually get to play it :(

Amir0x

Banned
I'm actually more excited for this game than FFXIII at this point. Never thought I'd say that but this one seems to have some real cool open-ended things about it. Really excited for Crystal Bearers now.

Sadist

Wonder if it will see a release this year in Japan.

I'm expecting a 2010 euro release, so I'll be patient. But the first bits of information sound really cool.

kenji

and i thought this game was following the new nintendo line of showing the game's mechanics some months before the game's release, and i hoped for a late 2009/early 2010 europe release :(

schuelma

kenji said:
and i thought this game was following the new nintendo line of showing the game's mechanics some months before the game's release, and i hoped for a late 2009/early 2010 europe release :(

I don't think you guys know what 60% means in Famitsu-interview speak.

Fuu

Just read the articles at IGN and 1UP. Most of the details so far are what I expect and want to see, pretty good. The multiplayer element hinted by Kawazu mentioned at 1UP sounds a bit weird, I guess it will be akin to Mario Galaxy's (meaning I'll never use it). Really want more details about customizing Layle, slots, types of accessories, etc. I hope there will be a load of chests and secrets scattered around the world map, will make exploring so much fun.

About the release date... We have to take in consideration the development did not begin when it was announced (SE once again retardedly announcing things too early). There's the esoterical "60%" (and that can mean anything, see what schuelma said) but in the end I just want them to work on this thing as long as they think is needed. The open ended nature makes this the kind of game where the end product can really hurt if rushed.

GoldandBlue said:
Yeah, from the trailer it's clear Amidatelion is female. The character is also cooler that way imo.

Top Bottom