• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI expansion, "Seekers of Adoulin" Geomancer/Rune Fencer! Uematsu Concert tonight!

Allard

Haha I still remember Shouta's korrigan ruling our server for like a week lol

I actually liked pankration, the problem was that outside of the zeni points for 'capturing' the mobs, there was little to no reward, so most just ended up leaving it after a while and now its essentially dead. If there is actually rank ups and rewards players can use it could actually last a bit longer then a week or 2, plus if its out in the open then it will still have a novel use through most the game as a side attraction.

Boss Man

I actually liked pankration, the problem was that outside of the zeni points for 'capturing' the mobs, there was little to no reward, so most just ended up leaving it after a while and now its essentially dead. If there is actually rank ups and rewards players can use it could actually last a bit longer then a week or 2, plus if its out in the open then it will still have a novel use through most the game as a side attraction.
Same problem with Ballista. Well, that and the fact that the jobs have always been horribly balanced. It's unfortunate because Ballista was by far the most fun I ever had with the game. It was such an adrenaline rush for me.

The monster PVP stuff is incredibly interesting, but the comments about DRK have dramatically dropped my likelihood of returning. The job is such a cool concept, but apparently they just aren't interested enough to touch it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yay, music.

Gawd, I totally mentally turned off Tanaka during his talk. Uhm, wait for the Community Stream!

frWyA.jpg

dDBj7.jpg

Shouta

Same problem with Ballista. Well, that and the fact that the jobs have always been horribly balanced. It's unfortunate because Ballista was by far the most fun I ever had with the game. It was such an adrenaline rush for me.

The comments about DRK have dramatically dropped my interest in returning though. The job is such a cool concept, but apparently they just aren't interested enough to touch it.

They don't intend on adjusting it yet, is the idea I think. They said they were going to do other jobs first and see how it develops.

Sophia

I haven't played FFXI in years, but reading this thread is bringing back some serious nostalgia.

Is the PC version still so far behind other MMOs in UI design? I'd love to come back to play a Geomancer. D:

Boss Man

They don't intend on adjusting it yet, is the idea I think. They said they were going to do other jobs first and see how it develops.
Yeah...but I'm familiar enough with FFXI to know what that means. I've been hearing that for years (literally). It's not even so much about balance for me, I just want the job to be as fun as it should be. It feels like a sickly WAR with a couple of impractical spells instead of a proper hybrid job.

Shouta

I haven't played FFXI in years, but reading this thread is bringing back some serious nostalgia.

Is the PC version still so far behind other MMOs in UI design? I'd love to come back to play a Geomancer. D:

They're planning on updating it in the near future and showed a prototype. Apparently you can customize the look of the windows as well.

Sophia

They're planning on updating it in the near future and showed a prototype. Apparently you can customize the look of the windows as well.

Wow, that sounds pretty good. The game has a nostalgia factor to it that other games of it's kind just didn't have....

Is there any trial or something?

Kokonoe

Banned

It is, but if you use a controller it's not too bad. When you play FFXI, you have to remember you're playing a PS2 game that came out before World of Warcraft.

It's outdated in some areas, but there are areas about it that no other MMORPG has that makes it truly shine.

Wow, that sounds pretty good. The game has a nostalgia factor to it that other games of it's kind just didn't have....

Is there any trial or something?

No trial at the moment, but steam has it for either 14.99$ or 19.99$ with all expansions and add-ons + one month in it.

Sophia

It is, but if you use a controller it's not too bad. When you play FFXI, you have to remember you're playing a PS2 game that came out before World of Warcraft.

It's outdated in some areas, but there are areas about it that no other MMORPG has that makes it truly shine.

Like I said, I played it years ago, and I remember actually using a PS2 controller with the game. =P

No trial at the moment, but steam has it for either 14.99$ or 19.99$ with all expansions and add-ons + one month in it.

Hmm... tempting. Maybe after the annual pass on my WoW is up. What other features were added? I stooped playing around the middle of CoP.

Shouta

Yeah...but I'm familiar enough with FFXI to know what that means. I've been hearing that for years (literally). It's not even so much about balance for me, I just want the job to be as fun as it should be. It feels like a sickly WAR with a couple of impractical spells instead of a proper hybrid job.

Eh, I personally don't have an issue with DRK myself and mine was at cap prior to canceling my subscription (I think it was at 90 cap). It has a lot of nice uses. But because the community dictates that it has to be super effective to count, it's a bit annoying.

This music is hype.

I would kill for a FFXI Complete Works OST.

Me too, but the reason that Naoshi Mizuta is reluctant to release another boxset is because he keeps creating music for the game so it would eventually be an incomplete set. That's not to say they would never do it. There always seems to be interest in releasing some kind of CD for FFXI every now and then. He has expressed interest in creating a third Star Onions album though.

I really loved yelling for a WHM for hours.

Don't get me wrong, I pretty much had no patience with nearly every other aspect of the game. I kept resubbing and cancelling almost every other month for 2 years because of the time between good groups and travelling. I just really loved the group combat.

Maybe I misinterpreted what was meant by leveling no longer being challenging.

I'm still waiting for them to add a Calculator job.

Jathaine

Considering that WHM, SCH, GEO and now RNF(?) all exist... what use is there for a RDM? Well, actually... since Scars of Abyssea what use is there for a RDM?

Shouta

Man, they need to do a FFXI single-player edition with HD graphics and with some music by Nanaa Mihgo in it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Why yes it does... (People who can actually start new threads, ahem...)

If it's allowed, I could possibly do it. I know a considerable amount about FFXI, and what it's like to brave Vana'diel alone. I could write a few mini tutorials as well.

Sophia

Well, reading up on all they added settles it I guess. I'll come back with this expansion after the annual pass is over. All the new features look so cool....

NeededSleep

Man, they need to do a FFXI single-player edition with HD graphics and with some music by Nanaa Mihgo in it.

Would be so great. Only way ill go back to 11 these days :(. I havnt played since 2006.
Give me FF12 type party where i can set up my npc gambits and ill be sucked into the game for years

Top Bottom