• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV copies out in the wild (street date broken in Peru, possibly elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had 8 pages of people freaking out to an insane degree(and many other websites picked it up mind you) about his super vague impressions of the game based on his mythical, non-bish verified 'insider' status

It was only when Jason from Kotaku called him out on not actually saying much of substance either way did shit hit the fan.

Let's not distort the picture entirely. Verendus wasn't going to post his impressions until he had the copy infront of him. He posted early because GAFfers wanted it.

Also, there's an interesting post on this that another GAFfer linked to me regarding the non-verified status of Verendus (to be honest, it would be extremely uprising and ridiculous by GAF mods to not ban Verendus if he's not an actual insider) and it's this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87799984&postcount=2860
In my defence, I will admit that I am deliberately vague with you. I stick to PM mostly. The FFXV post was worded in a deliberate manner and also filled with slightly false information (which I did admit as much publicly soon after). But, also in my defence, I pretty much let a mod and someone else on this forum know about FF15, KH3, no DRM, online, The Order, and a bunch of other crap around the time I made that initial post and/or a few weeks after. About a month before E3, I pretty much told a mod and that other member most of what you saw in FFXV's debut E3 trailer.

It's probably why I'm not banned. You can believe it, or as I always say, take the information with a grain of salt (the sensible thing to do since you can't vouch for me, and even if someone else does, it doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things).

I don't think it's fair to say his insider status is "mythical."

Edit: Beaten by the man himself :p

Gbraga

I only really started giving him skepticism when people started taking him seriously when he went on that rant against Nomura, as if he didn't know how fucked up SE's pipeline was last gen.

I really wouldn't consider that "a rant against Nomura":

The guidelines have been followed as best they can, and had Nomura planned things better, this wouldn't have happened in the first place. He hadn't developed a home console game in over a generation, and while that's largely the fault of Square Enix, it doesn't mean you plan for something that could take upwards of ten years to complete.

Big budget games are expensive, and the reality of modern development presents some very different challenges (that he's in the process of learning with FF7 right now). That he was allowed to run away with his "vision" reflects poorly on Square Enix since they never should've let him in the first place, but it also reflects poorly on him as a designer for not knowing his limits. You don't have an unlimited budget to do with as you please, and the company doesn't owe you one either.

Some fans just have a romanticized version of Versus when they barely saw anything of the greater game in the first place. There was enough there to give you an idea, but that's about it. That's why you end up with nebulous descriptors such as "the feel of things" and "the tone of things" where most of what they saw was pretty insignificant, and they've let their imaginations run wild with it all due to some good trailers and some brief explanations. Nomura is good at selling a concept, and that's largely what he did, but the reality of executing a concept means you can end up with quite a different result. Since it was his vision in the first place, the more passionate fans have a difficult time letting go of things, when if he was the one having to present changes, it likely wouldn't result in this kind of scrutiny.

Asking Tabata to follow guidelines or consult Nomura is also insulting since he's the one spending years of his life bringing the current game to life. Their team has been pretty straightforward about keeping as much as possible of the original plan in the new game, and it's pretty evident they've kept quite a fair amount, but this isn't Versus XIII. It's Final Fantasy XV, and they course corrected they way they feel is appropriate.

The martyring of Nomura is frankly stupid. He's about to take four years to deliver part one of a game that's going to end up less ambitious than another project that he was taken off which received a messier four years, in part thanks to him. There'll be plenty of opportunity to crucify Tabata if he delivers a less than stellar product, but at least those complaints will have merit.

No one is shaming him, so I'm not sure why're you so defensive. I've not referred to the time period prior to 2011. I've been pretty clear of where I feel SE failed, and where I feel Nomura failed.

It's a game designer's responsibility to plan and deliver projects that are sensible, and are in line with company plans. Allowing things to get away from you while you plan something that could take considerable amount of time and resource to complete, especially considering the opportunity cost in this scenario, is a pretty big mistake. He had his chance, the company decided it wasn't going to be suitable, and they took actions to get it done in a way they thought made more sense. He wasn't removed from the project in 2011 or 2012. He agreed to the project becoming Final Fantasy XV. He was removed later once the project had already been reannounced. Naturally, there's something wrong here, no? Or did Square Enix devise this cunning plan to give themselves a huge headache?

For all the grief Versus, or what really feels like Nomura, fans throw in the direction of Tabata and his team for making changes, they seem to ignore that some of these changes would've likely happened regardless due to the title being a mainline entry now. This would happen whether it was under Nomura or Tabata's control. Most of the other changes occurring are pretty clearly because Square Enix doesn't have time to spend another decade on one entry, and Tabata is focused on delivering one big game to get it done the best he can. If not, then they could've allowed Nomura to continue.

People are clinging to ideas. (Many of which are still apparently present in XV.) And it's easy to envision ideas as being greater than what they may end up being because execution is what ultimately matters. Most of the aggravation comes from the story point of view too with the whole "dark" and "mature" and "Stella was so interesting" when Nomura's claim to fame is Kingdom Hearts which is more juvenile than any Final Fantasy game in that aspect. He has many strengths, but that certainly isn't one of them in my eyes. And neither Nomura or Tabata has developed on HD platforms before so they're both in the same boat in that regard.

Is the company responsible for everything bad now? Game designer's don't have a responsibility to have a clear direction for their projects that they can deliver in a reasonable timeframe? Although, as I mentioned, I think part of that is SE's fault in the first place as they should've communicated all of this in the initial transition so both parties have a clear understanding of what needs to be done, by when, and how. Then again, it's also possible they did communicate this to him. Regardless, there's no bad guy in my eyes. It's just reality, and many folks seem to have a tough time coming to grips with it even though it's been years now.

I definitely don't think SE made a wrong move. It's a smart move. They need to get their development pipeline more efficient, and as far as I'm concerned.

And I agree with a lot of stuff here, especially when it comes to the absurdity of saying "if only Tabata had the decency of consulting Nomura". Nomura isn't doing shit in XV, he has a LOT of work in other projects, but the one sleeping three hours a day for this particular game is Tabata. Criticizing the changes is completely fine, demanding him not to make them is ridiculous.

ZenTzen

Verendus posted is impressions because people were asking for it, me being one of them, he already planned to post it next week closer to release, with a picture prooving he had and played the game.

so i dont get this thing some of you are now doing, going after the guy for whatever reason, i know he likes to troll, but dont any of you think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Or is this just an elaborate ruse or something.

Falk

that puzzling face
Dat potato bitrate

znycz5j.gif

a26dqfF.gif

edit: Oops, source isn't a street-date-broken copy; it's from from G-STAR Korea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6B7D32OPEg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Let's not distort the picture entirely. Verendus wasn't going to post his impressions until he had the copy infront of him. He posted early because GAFfers wanted it.

Also, there's an interesting post on this that another GAFfer linked to me regarding the non-verified status of Verendus (to be honest, it would be extremely uprising and ridiculous by GAF mods to not ban Verendus if he's not an actual insider) and it's this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87799984&postcount=2860

I don't think it's fair to say his insider status is "mythical."

Edit: Beaten by the man himself :p

Many insiders are not banned, and not actually vetted by bish unfortunately with strict checks. So its hard to really make that conclusion IMO. That being said KH3, FF15 were obsessed with before E3, along with Sony shutting down the hopes of DRM. ANd who knows what evidence he gave of 1886, if he did do that.

I'm just saying its not really overwhelming proof to take a quote of his without concrete backup.

What i'm saying is, other devs who are verified give there impressions here and what community they are apart of. And Verendus should start giving real answers soon to people holding the bag. Its not fair to the people who believe in what he says without question

Gbraga

He posted a very long review of his thoughts on an early copy of FFXV. Jason Schreier came in and called him out as possibly not having actually played the game and that most of what he's saying can just be gleaned from previews. It's, uh, well... I'm just in to see how it goes.

I don't think this is an issue. I read people's impressions for their opinion on things, not to learn about what the thing offers. I don't want a checklist, I want their thoughts.

The problem is that Schreier said that some things don't fit with his experience, as someone who without any doubt played the game. He wouldn't say this for no reason.

To be honest, even though a lot of the predictions and stuff from prior threads have been questionable or vague or what have you, Verendus has said just enough stuff that's weird but turned out right that I never really had a problem with believing him before. And to be completely fair for a second there are some things that can have been in the works at some point but then never gone anywhere (e.g. I think SE were hinting at an FFX-3 or something a few years ago, but they seem to have backtracked on that). This is just a really weird situation right now and it's the one thing that really comes across as strange. I don't mean to go after him or anything but this is definitely a pretty crazy situation that could use some clarity.

I don't think this is an issue. I read people's impressions for their opinion on things, not to learn about what the thing offers. I don't want a checklist, I want their thoughts.

The problem is that Schreier said that some things don't fit with his experience, as someone who without any doubt played the game. He wouldn't say this for no reason.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think the questionable thing was something regarding design changes halfway through the game.

Many insiders are not banned, and not actually vetted by bish unfortunately with strict checks. So its hard to really make that conclusion IMO. That being said KH3, FF15 were obsessed with before E3, along with Sony shutting down the hopes of DRM. ANd who knows what evidence he gave of 1886, if he did do that.

I'm just saying its not really overwhelming proof to take a quote of his without concrete backup.

What i'm saying is, other devs who are verified give there impressions here and what community they are apart of. And Verendus should start giving real answers soon to people holding the bag. Its not fair to the people who believe in what he says without question

I'm confused. You want him to answer jschriers callout? I agree.

I'm talking about his rumors/insider hints. He's dropped so many over the years that it makes a pretty compelling argument that he knows stuff.

I just found his older post where he says DQ is coming back to Playstation and that Capcom is working on Street Fighter despite them saying they aren't. I'm suggesting that he's credible, with regards to his insider info taking into account that he's admitted that he deliberately twists certain things or falsifies others (often clearing that up right away too).

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm also going to point out the perhaps-not-so-obvious that knowing some stuff and being full of shit aren't mutually exclusive.

Inuhanyou

I'm confused. You want him to answer jschriers callout? I agree.

No, i'm saying he's got to prove he's credible in general and give concrete proof of that for once instead of speaking in vague terms anyone could take their own conclusions from.

Half of the things he says are wrong, 25% are just vague enough that you can't make them out and another 25% just happen to turn out right, that could have already been guessed by just about anybody.

And even if he's in a position to know some things, by default that doesn't mean he isn't BSing on everything else like Falk says.

No, i'm saying he's got to prove he's credible in general and give concrete proof of that for once instead of speaking in vague terms anyone could take their own conclusions from.

Half of the things he says are wrong, 25% are just vague enough that you can't make them out and another 25% just happen to turn out right, that could have already been guessed by just about anybody.

See? This is where we disagree.

He basically confirms Bloodborne is in development. Says DQ is coming back to Playstation. Talks about SFV. Stuff like that.

If you think that's vague and anyone could guess that? We'll just have to agree to disagree. That's more then substantial enough rumors to give him credibility.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Holy hell thread took one hell of a turn. I never once doubted Verendus before, so this is a bit of a shock to me. Hopefully he returns to clear things up ASAP. I wonder what give him away...something about the second half of the game...Either it's not as linear as Edge said it was or...it's so bad no one can mistake it as good lol.

Didn't Edge say it was filled with bizarre RE-like puzzles and all?

Wait...

I've obviously worked on the game itself

Falk...FFXV....puzzles. NOOOO!

May 22 - 2013

Last bit of info then. I know you're being sarcastic, but Demon's Souls 2 is in development.

June 21 - 2013

Are the rumours about Demons Souls 2 coming to Ps4 true?
Yes. When it appears, whether with a new name or not, it'll be obvious what it is

Gbraga

I'm also going to point out the perhaps-not-so-obvious that knowing some stuff and being full of shit aren't mutually exclusive.

Right, that's what I was thinking too. And the other way around as well, he could be full of shit on the "leaks", but still have played the game.

All I want to know is if he played it, don't really care about anything else.

This thread is going downhill unfortunately. I liked it better when it was all about Peru haha. I hope someone comes and explains things.

But what if, what if...Koozek and Verendus are one and the same????

Right, that's what I was thinking too. And the other way around as well, he could be full of shit on the "leaks", but still have played the game.

All I want to know is if he played it, don't really care about anything else.

I don't doubt jschrier. Clearly, something set off the alarms enough for him to come in here and call him out. Doubt anyone would do that lightly.

Inuhanyou

May 22 - 2013

June 21 - 2013

Are the rumours about Demons Souls 2 coming to Ps4 true?

BB was never Demon's 2. And we could expect Sony to go back to From after their fuck up that Yosp had said he regretted from the time of the launch of Demon's Souls. Saying 'under a new name or anything else' just provides cover to literally have the game be anything in particular.

See? This is where we disagree.

He basically confirms Bloodborne is in development. Says DQ is coming back to Playstation. Talks about SFV. Stuff like that.

If you think that's vague and anyone could guess that? We'll just have to agree to disagree. That's more then substantial enough rumors to give him credibility.

He said Demon's Souls 2 is in the cards. He said DQ is coming back to PS which was obvious with how PS4 was turning out(and how Wii and Wii U were declining)

And we had essentially gotten SF5 with the Cabs advertisement.

I don't doubt jschrier. Clearly, something set off the alarms enough for him to come in here and call him out. Doubt anyone would do that lightly.
Least of all Jason, a thoroughly decent professional journalist.

Then again, this isn't exactly Watergate levels of scandal we're talking about.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Didn't Edge say it was filled with bizarre RE-like puzzles and all?!

This is an example of such misinformation having spread surrounding the game, heh. What the Edge author said was that there's a particular dungeon later in the game with a very Resident Evil sort of a vibe to it. He brought this up as an example of how differently the second half can operate; he wasn't seeming to suggest the whole back half is like that.

Gbraga

BB was never Demon's 2. And we could expect Sony to go back to From after their fuck up that Yosp had said he regretted from the time of the launch of Demon's Souls. Saying 'under a new name or anything else' just provides cover to literally have the game be anything in particular.

Not really true. It could be anything by From, didn't have to be a Miyazaki game. And even if it was, didn't have to resemble Demon's Souls at all. We maybe could expect Sony to go back to From (though it doesn't seem completely obvious to me that they would be down with it. It's not like they need help after the success of Dark Souls), but From has games such as Otogi, Enchanted Arms, Kuon and Armored Core.

"A Souls-like game by From Software for the PS4" isn't the most risky bet you could make, but it wasn't as obvious as you're implying at all. It's easy to look at things in retrospect and say it was obvious, just like you can rewatch a movie and notice how the clues were right in your face all along.

He said Demon's Souls 2 is in the cards. He said DQ is coming back to PS which was obvious with how PS4 was turning out(and how Wii and Wii U were declining)

How is this:

"Yes. When it appears, whether with a new name or not, it'll be obvious what it is"

Not a confirmation that BB is Demon Souls 2 to him? He's admitted that he's never played the games. He sees a Souls game in development, name not set. Sony funded From Software title. Assumes it's Demon Souls 2. What am I missing?

I think it's clear we're just gonna end up agreeing to disagree. So let's do that and not veer the thread any more off course.

Concerning copies out in the wild: I know a few people were asking about copies in the US. The only one that was able to show proof of a physical copy in the US was an ebayer in Texas some folks posted about on here late in the week. That person has gone completely silent to email and tracking from users has either showed up cancelled or with no updates since Thursday. I attempted to get one since the price was only slightly higher then release and can confirm there has been no action on package or his contact since. On ebay your able to do a information look up on users with a transaction and it provides a phone number so I'm tempted to call but the other half of me just wants to do a refund on paypal and be done with it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess Verendus was perfectly correct in wanting to wait for to take a picture of his copy before posting his impressions.

Or if he merely baited the idea of waiting to take a picture of his copy, knowing people would beg him to post impressions anyway.... brilliant understanding of psychology and a world class master troll.

Soriku

Like I said before, I think pretty much every review is going to sound like the previews to some extent.

Btw Verendus has been given a platform here for years. I think if he was definitely BSing he would've been perma-ed by now.

Gbraga

I guess Verendus was perfectly correct in wanting to wait for to take a picture of his copy before posting his impressions.

Or if he merely baited the idea of waiting to take a picture of his copy, knowing people would beg him to post impressions anyway.... brilliant understanding of psychology and a world class master troll.

I'm going with "he's legit".

What if it's both? He already had the impressions written as fanfic, and was expecting to get an early copy next week to take the picture and post his review? It's not like his real name is associated, it's just VERENDUS saying, doesn't matter if his final opinion ends up being different from what he posted.

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.

Concerning copies out in the wild: I know a few people were asking about copies in the US. The only one that was able to show proof of a physical copy in the US was an ebayer in Texas some folks posted about on here late in the week. That person has gone completely silent to email and tracking from users has either showed up cancelled or with no updates since Thursday. I attempted to get one since the price was only slightly higher then release and can confirm there has been no action on package or his contact since. On ebay your able to do a information look up on users with a transaction and it provides a phone number so I'm tempted to call but the other half of me just wants to do a refund on paypal and be done with it.

I've been refreshing eBay constantly with no luck. =(

Pre-orders everywhere!

wmlk

Jason saying that Verendus' "impressions" could be gleaned from reading the previews from media outlets could very well be true. On the hand, I think it's more likely that he actually hasn't read those previews and he's offering what to him feels like a fresh perspective. I really don't think Verendus is the guy to pay that much attention to what Kotaku, Polygon, or USgamer are saying. He also pops into XV threads once in a blue moon, even if he is interested in the game.

I think the more telling thing is that he hasn't responded to Falk's PM, which could just be resolved with more time.

it seems like i could give you another 10 examples and you would twist them all to make it look obvious

the SF5 caps advert came out in November - Verendus talked about SF5 in October.

he not only said DQ coming back to Ps4 but mentioned 2 Mainline Titles - which wasn't that obvious given the fact that the 3DS was the mainplattform

and also him telling a mod about FF15 Trailer was also pretty easy to guess, right?

There have been insiders who are still here, who have never been verified. Not really a good argument

tell me one insider that is spilling so many informations like Verendus, that didn't get verified or the attention of the mods?

Inuhanyou

Like I said before, I think pretty much every review is going to sound like the previews to some extent.

Btw Verendus has been given a platform here for years. I think if he was definitely BSing he would've been perma-ed by now.

There have been insiders who are still here, who have never been verified. Not really a good argument

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What if it's both? He already had the impressions written as fanfic, and was expecting to get an early copy next week to take the picture and post his review? It's not like his real name is associated, it's just VERENDUS saying, doesn't matter if his final opinion ends up being different from what he posted.

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.
I edited out "I think he's legit" because I'm honestly second guessing.

Fuck.

Soriku

I don't care if they've been verified or not, but are there any other insiders as prominent as Verendus here who haven't had the mods come down on them?

Inuhanyou

I don't care if they've been verified or not but are there any other insiders as prominent as Verendus here who haven't had the mods come down on them?

Cboat was here for far longer than Verendus was. I've been a lurker since 2009 on this site, and generally speaking, unless your bish checked, you can pretty much say a lot of stuff and without someone there to specifically call you out, or come down on you in a super major event, its not really here nor there.

Mcdohl

I'm too scared to venture into the spoiler thread.

Any brave soul that has ventured there...has map size finally been clarified?

Mifec

I'm too scared to venture into the spoiler thread.

Any brave soul that has ventured there...has map size finally been clarified?

No, there is literally only one spoiler in the whole thread and it was of a guest member that was not shown.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the more telling thing is that he hasn't responded to Falk's PM, which could just be resolved with more time.

Keep in mind as the hours go by, the answer to the question I asked is more and more likely to be on the internet, because Peru.

Ralemont

not me
Can amyone quickly summarize what was said that has everyone in such a tizzy?

Verendus posted impressions about the full game; Jason Schreier, PsyhcoNinja, and Falk think a few specifics sound off, leading to suspicion about the whole thing being a trolljob by Verendus; Verendus still to respond.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Keep in mind as the hours go by, the answer to the question I asked is more and more likely to be on the internet, because Peru.

Didn't someone allegedly post the ending like four hours ago, anyway? Or was that not the case? That was around when I mentioned that it seemed like your "Verendus Deadline" had expired earlier than anticipated. :p

QaaQer

Verified posters are only in verified to the extent that they are actually in a position to know information, the information itself isn't verified. Anonymous sources are not reliable, though they can be entertaining. How I miss 2013 and the era of cboat.

Lol, cboat gets auto corrected to Christ.

Can amyone quickly summarize what was said that has everyone in such a tizzy?

- Verendus has impressions after beating FFXV, says he'll post them in a week with pics of the game
- GAFfers get a hold of this info, Verendus says it's typed out, I'll post it now if you want
- Posts it
- jschrier of Kotaku, aka press sneak fuck, calls out Verendus to the effect of it not sounding like Verendus actually having played the game
- Now we wait for Verendus

Falk

that puzzling face
Didn't someone allegedly post the ending like four hours ago, anyway? Or was that not the case? That was around when I mentioned that it seemed like your "Verendus Deadline" had expired earlier than anticipated. :p

You mean the screencap from the (somewhat spoilery) TVCM?

benzy

Someone said they saw a stream from a lesser known site that showed the ending. No details have been posted anywhere regarding the ending though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom