• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa rejects FA's requests for England to wear poppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowans

Fifa has again rejected the Football Association's request for the England team to wear poppies on their shirts during Saturday's game against Spain.

The FA had asked for permission to wear poppies to support Remembrance Day.

But Fifa said: "Such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football."

Football's world governing body decrees that shirts should not carry political, religious or commercial messages.

Fifa has allowed a period of silence to be held prior to England's friendly against world champions Spain at Wembley, which takes place the day before Remembrance Sunday.

England will also wear poppies on their training kit, and on Friday they will stand for a two-minute silence.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sports Minister Hugh Robertson wrote to Fifa seeking permission for the England and Wales teams to wear poppies.

Robertson said: "Wearing a poppy is a display of national pride, just like wearing your country's football shirt.

"The British public feel very strongly about this issue - it is not religious or political in any way."

British Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce added: "I think there has to be a bit of common sense used when requests like this come in.

"Armistice Day is a very important day in the FA calendar, as it is with other associations, and I don't think it would offend anybody to have a poppy on the shirts."

England midfielder Jack Wilshere tweeted: "My great-grandad fought for this country in WW2 and I'm sure a lot of peoples' grandparents did.

"England team should wear poppies on Saturday. It's the nation's tradition and it would be disrespectful not to."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15643295.stm

Disgusting! Everyone I know if really pissed of about this.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But Fifa said: "Such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football."

Football's world governing body decrees that shirts should not carry political, religious or commercial messages.
Its...hard for me to have a problem with that.

Clydefrog

But FIFA has a good point:

sorry, chaps

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I am for this. Open one door and everyone expects something in the future. Just keep it neutral. They never asked to wear Poppy's last year, whats different about this year?

WedgeX

Banned
It says not of a political nature. And Remembrance Day is about the ending of WWI. Which then lead to the Treaty of Versailles. Which was quite political, right?

Yen

WedgeX said:
It says not of a political nature. And Remembrance Day is about the ending of WWI. Which then lead to the Treaty of Versailles. Which was quite political, right?
It concerns all wars and soldiers, does it not?

Kurtofan

Wazzim said:
What's a poppy?
7MFoL.jpg

sangreal

WedgeX said:

Nice edit...

The problem I have with this decision is that the Poppy is simply a sign of respect for those who have died in any wars (its not just WW1 and 2, it includes the Falklands war now, for example).

The principle is remembering those who died, and I don't think anyone could be against that. It is one of the least 'in your face.. . .haha' symbols there are out there.

Showing that sign of respect and gratitude is a nationwide/continentwide feeling and international matches are national team games.

I understand the need for rules on this, but it should be on a case-by-case basis.

Clegg

Yet FIFA are perfectly willing to have a World Cup in a country where racism is rife (Russia) and another WC where women are discriminated against and Sharia law pervades society (Qatar).

And they want us to believe that they weren't bribed by these host countries?

Empty

fifa are terrible but i think this is not a huge deal so long as we can have a minute's silence before the game to commemorate the war dead as a symbol in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom