• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA fines English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh FAs for wearing poppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish FIFA had just ignored it, the people who've pushed the poppy into being a political symbol will love being outraged about this.

Pay the fines in coins.

8Q53G.png

There are people, Irish player James McClean for example, who view the poppy as a symbol of support for all of the British military operations. In McClean's case he doesn't want to have to wear something during club games that can be taken as a symbol of support for the British occupation of Ireland and the deaths that came from that.

Yep I don't wear a poppy for this reason.

Both FIFA and the FA's both did what they had to do.

FIFA don't want to be in a situation where they're deciding what is and isn't political, and the FA's shouldn't let a fine stand in the way of doing the right thing.

A symbolic fine, with no points penalty, was the best way of getting this resolved.

But fuck FIFA

Yep.

Although I read on the BBC this ban also applies to fans? Is FIFA also going to fine associations when their fans are wearing poppies or singing YNWA?

Following Wales' 1-1 draw at home to Serbia the next day, Fifa opened disciplinary proceedings looking at "fans in the stands wearing the poppy" and the presence of "a member of the armed forces holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel", according to the Football Association of Wales (FAW).

Wouldn't surprise me though. FIFA charged Manchester City after their fans booed the Champions League anthem.

Fuck FIFA.

RocknRola

Yep.

Although I read on the BBC this ban also applies to fans? Is FIFA also going to fine associations when their fans are wearing poppies or singing YNWA?

Wouldn't surprise me though. FIFA charged Manchester City after their fans booed the Champions League anthem.

Fuck FIFA.

You sure that wasn't UEFA?

At the very least, it can be a political symbol for some, enough that I'd agree it goes against the rules (like the 1916 emblem in fact).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realise the poppy was a political symbol... we wear them in Canada too.

It's not. It doesn't represent nationalism, glorify the military or show support for illegal wars no matter how much people here want to think that.

Maledict

It's not. It doesn't represent nationalism, glorify the military or show support for illegal wars no matter how much people here want to think that.

You don't get to decide what other people think a symbol represents!

Seriously. Especially in the current climate when the poppy is *absolutely* used by the Sun and the Daily Mail for exactly that purpose, and used to hound anyone who doesn't wear it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
You don't get to decide what other people think a symbol represents!

Seriously. Especially in the current climate when the poppy is *absolutely* used by the Sun and the Daily Mail for exactly that purpose, and used to hound anyone who doesn't wear it.

I didn't decide. the symbol has been around for nearly 100 years. It means what it means.

just because some shitrag like the sun want to put it on their paper doesn't change that.

Maledict

I didn't decide. the symbol has been around for nearly 100 years. It means what it means.

You know what it means to *you*.

That's the thing about symbols. They mean different things to different people. For example, to me the Union Jack is a flag I like and am proud of - for me it represents the best part of our country (the different nations coming together).

But to right wing nationalists it means something else.

And to people in Africa, or many other places across the globe, it's means something extremely wrong and evil.

I don't get to tell them they are wrong for how they see my symbol. That's just how symbols work.

DKehoe

It's not.

It's not to most people, particularly inside the UK. But it's a symbol of support for British troops. Non-British people may have an issue with that. Most people don't have an issue with the poppy but that doesn't mean it's not a poltical symbol. Rather than FIFA having to make individual judgement on each case (which would itself be a political decision) it's better they just don't allow any.

What political party does the poppy represent?

It is a symbol of the Royal British Legion/.
It's a charity that supports British armed forces veterans and performs a lot of political lobbying in addition to merely supporting remembrance day.

While this is a worthy cause (and I wear the poppy myself), let's not be obtuse and claim that it's a non-political one.

If England wanted to wear black armbands to commemorate the dead in a more generic way, they'd be allowed (I think Wales did this, and England did it in 2011).

Unfortunately, rules are rules and "no political statements" doesn't just contain an, "unless it's for a good charity" clause.
FIFA hit other countries with fines, so I don't think they're trying to single out the UK.

Besides, the fines are peanuts and probably less than Wayne Rooney's bar tab. It's obvious that FIFA isn't trying to hurt the FA, they just don't want to start a precedent.

AGoodODST

It is a political symbol so I don't see the problem. They don't want to start a precedent by making an exception.

The clubs could have just worn a black arm band or something.

7aged

just because some shitrag like the sun want to put it on their paper doesn't change that.

It has always been a political symbol. Wear a red poppy in Ireland and see for yourself.

moai

im with fifa. even though they seem to do everything wrong they are right on this one.. cant put a military simbol on your shirt when playing other countries.

EmiPrime

The poppy has been completely desecrated as a symbol. You have politicians and royals who wear really elaborate poppies and lay down massive wreaths and then go off to Saudi Arabia to sell cluster bombs and tanks to be used to massacre Yemenis but god help anyone who decides they don't want to wear one. Then you have photos of children wielding giant poppies and wearing t-shirts saying "Future Soldier" on the Royal British Legion website, spitting on the memory of all the young men who died in WW1.

The poppy is trash and FIFA are for once, right.

Zaph

You know what it means to *you*.

That's the thing about symbols. They mean different things to different people. For example, to me the Union Jack is a flag I like and am proud of - for me it represents the best part of our country (the different nations coming together).

But to right wing nationalists it means something else.

And to people in Africa, or many other places across the globe, it's means something extremely wrong and evil.

I don't get to tell them they are wrong for how they see my symbol. That's just how symbols work.

Pretty much. You have to have a very limited knowledge of British history to be surprised at some of our symbolism not being received so well in other parts of the world.

Nielm

It is a political symbol so I don't see the problem. They don't want to start a precedent by making an exception.

The clubs could have just worn a black arm band or something.

The Northern Irish/Welsh teams did this but they still got fined, though I suppose FIFA wanted to rule it out altogether.

As bad as FIFA is, I don't think they were 100% in the wrong for banning the poppy.

TimmmV

Of course symbols can change meaning. Go to Germany wearing a swastika and see if they will accept "but its an ancient Hindu symbol, a couple decades of history can't change that!"

The poppy is totally a political symbol, and the FA have also taken a political stance on wearing it. For once FIFA is right.

Desmond

I still don't understand why a jersey commemorating the Irish struggle for independence has led to the FAI being fined too. It only happened because some DUP dope up north started a game of whataboutism.

The Northern Irish/Welsh teams did this but they still got fined, though I suppose FIFA wanted to rule it out altogether.

As bad as FIFA is, I don't think they were 100% in the wrong for banning the poppy.

The Welsh/NI teams got banned for symbols on the pitch and in the crowd (the organised displays where people hold up cards to display a mosaic-style image). I think the armbands were judged to be okay.

Podge293

I still don't understand why a jersey commemorating the Irish struggle for independence has led to the FAI being fined too. It only happened because some DUP dope up north started a game of whataboutism.

Yeah our fine is a bit odd. It's not a symbol it's remembering a very specific item of gaining our independence.

And yeah Damian Collins. What a twat "oh why didn't you fine Ireland" blah blah.

Still, it's a symbol that's linked to ongoing support for the current army thus breaking the rule. Fifa were in the right this time

tomtom94

FIFA were in the right purely because the sort of people who will be outraged by this have turned the poppy into precisely what it wasn't supposed to be, a symbol of pride.

The teams didn't wear poppies on Armistice Day 30 years ago, and it's as simple as that as I'm concerned.

To be fair, this is entirely consistent with rules the FA signed up to and agreed to consent with. I read a really great piece a few months ago on the subject: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/poppy-row/95762

Writing in the Daily Mail earlier this week, the widely respected Martin Samuel nailed the issue. His words are worthy of repetition, particularly given the media outlet that they appeared in.

“FIFA consider this a political gesture, a stance that in turn outrages those who feel it is vitally important that football — more than any other industry, apparently — remembers the dead of two world wars,” Samuel wrote.

“Except poppies are no longer just about those wars. They commemorate other, less popular conflicts, too. What if England were playing Argentina, Ireland or a country from the Middle East?

In actuality, FIFA were merely implementing their own rules. “FIFA has 208 Member Associations and the same regulations are applied globally, and uniformly, in the event of similar requests by other nations to commemorate historical events,” it said in a statement.

On both sides there is intransigence and on both sides there is an aghast reaction to the opposition questioning either their logic or their motives. For those of us in the increasingly squeezed middle, those who believe in the individual's right to solemn contemplation and remembrance but also believe in the individual's right not to participate in such acts, the whole sorry saga is as dispiriting as it should have been avoidable and we are left with opportunist politicians, national newspapers and national associations using the issue to grandstand and divide.

Though there are constant calls in the opposite direction, the poppy has become politicized, and as such can't just be seen as a symbol of remembrance anymore. It's not an anti-war symbol anymore, it's justification for why sacrifices in war are worth reproducing again and again.

PJV3

FIFA are right, there's plenty of time outside a football game to wear poppies and make a political statement.

Next time dock the the teams 3 points from world cup qualifiers.

Murkas

We are remembering ALL the fallen.

Are we? We only hear people saying that when someone says it's just for the soldiers, "but it's for civilians too who lost their lives", kinda in an #alllivesmatter way.

Just saying when is the last time we've seen the red poppy accompanied with a picture of an Iraqi/Argentine family...

liquidtmd

Banned
I truly wish the football teams response would be to say 'Well we refuse to play in Russia and Quatar in the world cups because you're bent as fuck and we want to take a stand against the political statements those Countries make'

Alas money rules the day.

Clegg

Correct decision.

The poppy is most definitely a political symbol in Northern Ireland. In the Republic as well really. It's not worn down here.

Nevasleep

FIFA isn't the UN, far simpler to not allow any symbols than allow it to get out of control.
While it might have been fine in rugby, there are 211 national football teams under FIFA (some with on-going conflicts etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom